Options

Movie Threads?

Comments

• Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Ok movie. Seems like a tough translation from the book (which I havent read). Sadly, I heard the author of this series died just before it all became so famous.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,087
    Saw Silver Linings Playbook today, very good, loved Jennifer Lawrence, also helps she's nice to look at.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,977
    I want to see Gangster Squad. Great cast and the previews look decent, but it's getting crap reviews. :?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Just picked up the original Star Wars trilogy and Dr. No on bluRay.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Just watched My Week With Marilyn last week - Michelle Williams was pretty dead on as Norma Jean.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    Saw a preview for World War Z with Brad Pitt this morning. Must admit it looks pretty interesting.

the zombie graphics look horrible.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Anybody seen Gangster Squad yet?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    I watched 'The Fall' for the 2nd time last night. I recommend it if you haven't seen it. A real labour of love this one, took 4 years in 20 countries to film. The imagery is breathtaking and all the locations are real locations which makes it even more spectacular. A nice little story in the middle too with 2 great central performance but its the imagery people will remember this one for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO0LYcCoeJY

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460791/

I also watched Pixar's 'UP' and cried like a fuckin' baby!
  • Options
    MissPennyLaneMissPennyLane Redondo Beach, CA Posts: 687

Just got home from seeing this. I really loved it and exceeded my expectations, action packed and the whole cast was great....
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,977

Just got home from seeing this. I really loved it and exceeded my expectations, action packed and the whole cast was great....

i'm hearing bad reviews, but i'll still see this.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    Saw Silver Linings Playbook today, very good, loved Jennifer Lawrence, also helps she's nice to look at.
    Saw this Friday. It was very good.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    DS1119 wrote:
    Saw a preview for World War Z with Brad Pitt this morning. Must admit it looks pretty interesting.

This is a movie I can't wait to see. Looks sick. Need to watch the trailer knowing nothing about it. My friend told me about it and I kind of knew what it was about. I told my other friends just to watch the trailer without telling them anything about it. They all were stoked!
  • Options
    Got out to see Silver Lining Playbook.
    It was ok.. Too much screaming and yelling and drama, but it had a nice ending.
  • Options

its always funny to see how different peoples opinions of movies are. I thought it was one of the best movies of 2012, could easily win multiple oscars. The writing and acting were superb. And I thought it was an unorthodox romantic comedy. Plus, it was great to see Bradley Cooper in such a critically acclaimed film, he's a genuinely good guy.
  • Options

its always funny to see how different peoples opinions of movies are. I thought it was one of the best movies of 2012, could easily win multiple oscars. The writing and acting were superb. And I thought it was an unorthodox romantic comedy. Plus, it was great to see Bradley Cooper in such a critically acclaimed film, he's a genuinely good guy.

Yeah, I agree... I really wanted to like this movie, and after thinking about it more the next day, I liked it even better, but I really dont see the hype about best actors, best pic, best director, etc... it was good, but just not that good. The main guy was great, Bradley Cooper. Nicely done. But I also think the writer has to give a actor something to prove. And in this case, he was just a confused guy with some medical issues that was angry and disturbed. I didnt see too much versatility in the character, but he did make me root for him. Jennifer Lawrences part was good, but nothing anyone else couldnt do. There were a few times when there was fighting and yelling going on, and she looked like she was acting to me. I wasnt convinced at the moment. And even DeNiro, who I LOVE, was good, but nothing special.

And (SPOILER)....

At the end of the dance, I thought the director made a very lousy choice to make the announcer say, "Why are they so excited about a 5?!" That almost ruined it for me. It was as if he wanted to clue in the stupid viewers who might not get it or soemthing... it just took a good, funny, uplifting moment and turned it slapstick.

Overall, good movie, but nothing I couldnt have just waited for on DVD.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    At the end of the dance, I thought the director made a very lousy choice to make the announcer say, "Why are they so excited about a 5?!" That almost ruined it for me. It was as if he wanted to clue in the stupid viewers who might not get it or soemthing... it just took a good, funny, uplifting moment and turned it slapstick.

uhhh ... doesn't seem unreasonable for an announcer to be shocked by their reaction ...

saw jack reacher ... typical tom cruise stuff ... he makes entertaining stuff that will get you in and out ... know nothing of the comic book character ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

uhhh ... doesn't seem unreasonable for an announcer to be shocked by their reaction ...

saw jack reacher ... typical tom cruise stuff ... he makes entertaining stuff that will get you in and out ... know nothing of the comic book character ...

uhhh, of course he can be surprised by their reaction... it was very cheesy, to announce it though, seemed unrealistic and kinda stupid to me...just my opinion. it took a fun uplifting scene and made it feel like Leslie Neilsen shouldve been the announcer. There was no point of that line or to move the focus over to the announcer for a moment, other than to try to remind the viewers that werent smart enough to realize why they were celebrating. Cheesy. Have some confidence in your audience is one of the first things I learned in film school..
  • Options
    uhhh, of course he can be surprised by their reaction... it was very cheesy, to announce it though, seemed unrealistic and kinda stupid to me...just my opinion. it took a fun uplifting scene and made it feel like Leslie Neilsen shouldve been the announcer. There was no point of that line or to move the focus over to the announcer for a moment, other than to try to remind the viewers that werent smart enough to realize why they were celebrating. Cheesy. Have some confidence in your audience is one of the first things I learned in film school..

haha ... to each their own i guess ... didn't think anything of that ... i just see it as whether or not the announcer would say it or not ... he is paid to announce ... i didn't see it as the director trying to remind us why they are celebrating at all ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

haha ... to each their own i guess ... didn't think anything of that ... i just see it as whether or not the announcer would say it or not ... he is paid to announce ... i didn't see it as the director trying to remind us why they are celebrating at all ...

Yeah, I know it wouldnt bother most people, but thats just one of the many things that irked me about this one in regards to the best director nod. I just dont get all the hype for it. Good movie, but not that good.
  • Options
    Yeah, I know it wouldnt bother most people, but thats just one of the many things that irked me about this one in regards to the best director nod. I just dont get all the hype for it. Good movie, but not that good.

frig ... the whole best this and that is a bit much ... i totally thought lincoln was overrated for that reason ... it seemed like the movie was made just to try and win oscars ... overacting and overly dramatic and purposefully long ... outside of daniel day lewis - i didn't find the film that great ...
  • Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    A Few Good Men.. saw it was coming on last night, and couldn't stop watching it until it was over at 2am. Forgot how freaking good it is.
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Just realized that A Good Day To Die Hard came out today. I'll probably go see it tomorrow since I loved Die Hard IV.

Die Hard I: Fabulous. Hans M.F. Gruber.
    Die Hard II: Intentionally overly violent, but it didn't service the story.
    Die Hard III: Not engaging. Jeremy Irons is okay, but he's not Alan Rickman.
    Die Hard IV: John McClane turns into a superhero. So unexpectedly over the top I loved it.

Anyone else?
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    HeavyHands wrote:
    Just realized that A Good Day To Die Hard came out today. I'll probably go see it tomorrow since I loved Die Hard IV.

Die Hard I: Fabulous. Hans M.F. Gruber.
    Die Hard II: Intentionally overly violent, but it didn't service the story.
    Die Hard III: Not engaging. Jeremy Irons is okay, but he's not Alan Rickman.
    Die Hard IV: John McClane turns into a superhero. So unexpectedly over the top I loved it.

Anyone else?
    good to seeya around!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options

Yeah, I agree... I really wanted to like this movie, and after thinking about it more the next day, I liked it even better, but I really dont see the hype about best actors, best pic, best director, etc... it was good, but just not that good. The main guy was great, Bradley Cooper. Nicely done. But I also think the writer has to give a actor something to prove. And in this case, he was just a confused guy with some medical issues that was angry and disturbed. I didnt see too much versatility in the character, but he did make me root for him. Jennifer Lawrences part was good, but nothing anyone else couldnt do. There were a few times when there was fighting and yelling going on, and she looked like she was acting to me. I wasnt convinced at the moment. And even DeNiro, who I LOVE, was good, but nothing special.

And (SPOILER)....

I really think it was one of the best of 2012, and every aspect of it was great. The acting was amazing, from all involved. The Jennifer Lawrence sports rant. The Deniro crying scene which was completely ad lib and improv. It was such an atypical romantic comedy. And i think it dealt with mental illness in a way few films of the modern era have. Bradley Cooper just has evolved so much as an actor. Its hilarious to see him, on episodes of Inside the Actors Studio, he was then an unknown student, and he was asking Sean penn and Deniro questions about acting. Lo and behold, a few years later he's in one of the most popular films of the last few years The Hangover and has been in some acclaimed dramas with Deniro Limitless and Silver. Its getting alot of hype and press, but its an understated film. This isnt DDL as Lincoln, but these are great roles and cast nonetheless.
  • Options
    i think what deniro did in the film was amazing. Hes just such a generous guy and actor. Some of those scenes in the film, especially the adlibbed crying one was among the best Deniro scenes of the last 10 years or so. Like the film, he's just so understated. Most people watch the movie and dont realize what he contributes to each scene. I do know, he often adlibs most scenes he does, does the scene, and the director just keeps filming, and deniro stays in character and just goes off on some tangent. This is stuff that isnt well known, but its why he's the best. David's sons reaction to Deniro yelling at him in that scene was to laugh. Deniro said to keep it because thats what a teen would do in such a situation.
  • Options
    I really want to see this.. Jack the Giant Slayer (Jack and the Beanstalk)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEuTxD2UFdM
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Sci-Fi mega-weekend for me

Looper - :thumbdown:

Dredd - :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Total Recall - :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Prometheous - :thumbup:
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,885
    Jason P wrote:
    Sci-Fi mega-weekend for me

Looper - :thumbdown:

Dredd - :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Total Recall - :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Prometheous - :thumbup:

I enjoyed Dredd as well, way better than the Stallone POS.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I think Dredd achieved Robocop 2 status for its ultra-violence.
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    I think Dredd achieved Robocop 2 status for its ultra-violence.

Robocop 2 was insane for violence! but I heard Stallone's latest Rambo had the most deaths in any movie. :fp: