Movie Threads?

Comments

• Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Just give Daniel Day-Lewis the Oscar now. Just do it.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-tal ... 39553.html
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Anyone see the movie "Savages" yet? One friend lied it and heard it was getting decent reviews.

boring. Yes, I was expecting more violence, but not the reason I didn't like it. the plot was ok, but how it all came together at the end was dumb.

Salma Hayek was the highlight. I wonder if it bothers any of these Spanish (Salma, Benicio, etc) actors that have so obviously become typecast into drug-smuggling murderers?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    Newch91 wrote:
    Just give Daniel Day-Lewis the Oscar now. Just do it.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-tal ... 39553.html

Daniel Day-Lewis is nothing short of phenomenal.

I watched "We Need To Talk About Kevin" last week. It still haunts me.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I recall seeing a trailer for GI Joe 2 during the Super Bowl. What happened?
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Jason P wrote:

it was pushed back to next year
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1583421/
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

it was pushed back to next year
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1583421/
    Ah, ha! They killed off Channing Tatum's character and then he got famous so they are re-shooting it! :lol:

Talk about making a huge marketing mistake!
    Cheerleader Massacre

chocolate syrup....chix....hot tub....

10 on the move greatness scale
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,798
    Saw Total Recall tonight. It was ok, not bad but not great :| I'd wait for it on Netflix
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    Looks like the Red Dawn remake is finally going to see the day of light.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoqlBHSePw0
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Seems like movies are a little thin lately on quality. I was in the mood for a good new comedy and couldn't find a damned thing. I wish I could watch Grandams Boy or Knocked up for the first time again.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOsd5d8IVoA

This Looks Good!!! Sam Rockwell and Christopher Walken in the same movie!!!

:lol: those two are awesome.

Put your hands up!
    No.
    But i've got a gun.
    I dont care.
    But it doesnt make any sense.

:lol:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)

:lol: those two are awesome.

Put your hands up!
    No.
    But i've got a gun.
    I dont care.
    But it doesnt make any sense.

:lol:

:lol: has promise!
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560

Plus Woody!
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Saw The Bourne Legacy tonight. It was pretty good. Some things I didn't care for, but overall not too bad.

Anyone see ParaNorman yet? Heard that was good. That'll probably be the next movie i see.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    Saw The Bourne Legacy tonight. It was pretty good. Some things I didn't care for, but overall not too bad.

Anyone see ParaNorman yet? Heard that was good. That'll probably be the next movie i see.

caught this tonight. it was pretty good. I like the story and plot a lot. Characters were pretty "typical" though. Had a few funny moments.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    the people vs george lucas.

NERDS UNITE!!!!!
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Im starting to love netflix streaming even more...so many movies I wouldve never thought to watch in the past.

Rid of Me - I liked this movie, but its not for everyone. Its a bout a regular couple who moves to a new town and the socially awkward wife gets dumped eventually...then she meets some unusual characters and finds her way...It had one very shocking scene, and some good elements of discomfort.

Darwin awards -- absolutely terrrible movie.

Archies Final Project - is one movie that I'm only half way through, but absolutely love so far. Very creatively done and quite different.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    heart of the empire: the life and times of the fughting 501st
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Movie beer.
    I saw The Campaign with Will Ferrell and Zach Galfanakis. I was in the mood for some laughs so figured I'd check it out free Regal movie card). Don't bother seeing it. Kind of a waste. I chuckled like twice and the story wasn't too great.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Saw The Bourne Legacy tonight. It was pretty good..
    wanna see this !!
    love Edward Norton
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • MayDay10 wrote:

What a travesty. I have a tapestry of obscenities for this sequel.
  • SpagsSpags Posts: 3,027
    Dredd3D

The build up to the release of the new Judge Dredd movie has been an interesting one. First came the surprise and excitement that anybody would touch the property after Stallone's disappointing big budget attempt. I'll admit they got certain elements right, such as the portrayal of a Block War in progress along with the scale of Dredd's world, but the good certainly failed to outweigh the bad. Then, as first images appeared on the net, concern over the stripped back style of the uniforms, bikes and Mega-City which suggested too low a budget to deliver the film many fans have been imagining since the early 80s. But hope came with a trailer that demonstrated the film's hook, a drug that allows the action to be slowed down and given a coat of sparkling beauty during scenes of ultraviolence that wouldn't look out of place in an early Paul Verhoeven movie. Then a bizarre turn of events as the set up seemed to mirror that of another film released earlier this year, The Raid also being about cops trapped in a tower block having to fight their way through floors of murderous gangs. Already it seemed we were in for something rather unoriginal and stifled, however, initial reviews were good and there was talk, if this one made money, that a sequel would feature Dredd's ultimate enemies...the Dark Judges.

After a quick voiceover explains where and what Mega-City One is, who makes up its population and the role of the Judges, we hit the streets with Dredd. On his bike he races after a van full of perps who are high on the new drug, Slo-Mo, and in their desperation to evade justice leave some bloody roadkill in their wake. Dredd brutally sentences them, the tone is wonderfully set and I'm happily transported back to 18 cert action movies, if not the comics, of my childhood. Especially Robocop, which also shares the grisly notion that when hot lead connects with human flesh you get clouds of blood and cooked meat. It's at times spectacularly gory, yet the violence manages to feel gritty and real within its dystopian world. Slo-Mo also draws these moments out and presents them on an anatomical level. The physics and ballistics of a shootout become dreamlike, blood appears as gloopy red liquid, flesh is sliced open and explosions of debris hang in the air. The switch between these two styles is the film's most interesting achievement and lends it its own identity. These almost still frames also help evoke the panels of a comic book, though subtly enough not to feel cheesy or out of place.

The story boils down to one day in the life of a tough future cop, partnered with a mind-reading mutant rookie and trapped in a hostile environment. There are some pleasing twists and turns along the way, but overall it's a simple plot that feels more concerned with showing the audience its world and setting the mood than risking overreaching and becoming cluttered with too many ideas or characters. Fans of the comics do get hints at the larger Dredd universe; I spotted some graffiti by Chopper, a Fattie, reference to Punks on a shop sign, etc, but the focus is cleverly kept tightly in on events of that day.

Karl Urban is a great Dredd. Never removing his helmet he conveys the character through his gruff delivery and lots of down-turned mouth and stubbly chin acting. His dialogue is sparse, but when he does deem to speak it's spot on and at times surprisingly amusing. The film's emotional weight is carried by Olivia Thirlby as rookie Judge Anderson, a fresh-faced optimist eager to pass her assessment contrasting well with the hard, cynical, experienced Dredd. Lena Headey puts in a mean turn as Ma-Ma, the villain who runs the block and likes having her enemies thrown off it. Wood Harris felt a little wasted as the prisoner, but brings a little of The Wire along with him which is never a bad thing.

There are some great action set pieces, but beyond the Slo-Mo scenes, they don't feel overly grand or particulary epic. Seeing the film's hero burn a gang to death or stun and execute another as they are rolling around in pain aren't your typical punch the air moments, yet are strangely satisfying. In this sense, Dredd shares some of the fascism of Starship Troopers. He is more a soldier than a cop, in a war on crime where everybody is guilty of something. Seeing Anderson having to make the hard choices and also deal with the repercussions of those choices certainly helps balance the film, and for all Dredd's apparent cold detachment, she can sense that there is something more humane behind it. 

Sadly my screening only had a handful of people in it (although it was a roasting day by the seaside), so if that's any indication we won't be getting that Dark Judges sequel, which will be a real shame. Niggles aside (the third act had some problems which I won't go into as they are plot related), a wonderfully grubby future world has been created, and only getting one story from this Mega-City for me just isnt enough. 

4/5
    Nature drunk and High
  • I broke my movie theater protest and saw LAWLESS yesterday.

I thought it was awesome.
    MayDay10 wrote:

What a travesty. I have a tapestry of obscenities for this sequel.
    I didn't think Caddyshack 2 would ever lose its crowns as the worst sequel to a 4 star movie .... but it appears Jackie Mason has finally met his match.

A travesty, a sham, and a mockery. A travashamockery.

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

:fp:

:nono:
    Saw a matinee of Premium Rush today. It was pretty good, some spots dragged on, but overall not too bad.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    Resident Evil opens this weekend. i think i just found my sat night entertainment.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg