Options

Movie Threads?

Comments

• Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    HeavyHands wrote:
    Just realized that A Good Day To Die Hard came out today. I'll probably go see it tomorrow since I loved Die Hard IV.

Die Hard I: Fabulous. Hans M.F. Gruber.
    Die Hard II: Intentionally overly violent, but it didn't service the story.
    Die Hard III: Not engaging. Jeremy Irons is okay, but he's not Alan Rickman.
    Die Hard IV: John McClane turns into a superhero. So unexpectedly over the top I loved it.

Anyone else?
    good to seeya around!

:wave:

As it so happens, I saw A Good Day To Die Hard in IMAX. On the whole, the IMAX experience was pretty great. The movie had been out for a couple of weeks (I think) by the time I got to the theater to see it so I had my choice of the best seats in the house. The picture clarity and sound were terrific. The picture was maybe the sharpest I've ever seen in a theater. The sound carried the low end wonderfully (I could feel the low end in my chest), and the high end was almost perfect in that it was never piercing to my ears or overly loud.

The movie was fun. I would say it's a good popcorn movie. I think it's safe to say at this point that the Die Hard franchise has no chance of ever going back and delivering any of the good character development from the first one, which is too bad, because John McClane is a great character.

As I mentioned before, I really liked Die Hard IV. I think this was not as good as that one in many ways. It did have a pretty amazing car chase scene in the front end of the movie though. It seemed like it went on forever, but the director found ways to keep in engaging.

I think, on the whole, this would be a really fun rental. I don't know that it's worth $10 to catch in a theater though.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    watched 1/2 of Contact last night. Love that flick.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    must been alot of time since i enjoy a movie so much..

i saw today Silver Linnings Playbook

amazing movie!!!really really great movie..unique characters,scenario,beautiful story,..love it..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Watched "My Left Foot" today. Holy shit, Daniel Day-Lewis. What a performance!
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,078
    Saw "A good day to Die Hard". It was ok, not horrible and not great, though it seemed that all the scenes are rushed and each one gets right to the violence.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    Jack the giant slayer.. Great, fun flick!
    In IMAX 3d it was really an experience!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,896
    Saw Side Effects earlier today with Rooney Mara, Jude Law, Catherine Zeta=Jones, and Channing Tatum. Real good psychological thriller/drama movie i thought.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,078
    HeavyHands wrote:
    HeavyHands wrote:
    Just realized that A Good Day To Die Hard came out today. I'll probably go see it tomorrow since I loved Die Hard IV.

Die Hard I: Fabulous. Hans M.F. Gruber.
    Die Hard II: Intentionally overly violent, but it didn't service the story.
    Die Hard III: Not engaging. Jeremy Irons is okay, but he's not Alan Rickman.
    Die Hard IV: John McClane turns into a superhero. So unexpectedly over the top I loved it.

Anyone else?
    good to seeya around!

:wave:

As it so happens, I saw A Good Day To Die Hard in IMAX. On the whole, the IMAX experience was pretty great. The movie had been out for a couple of weeks (I think) by the time I got to the theater to see it so I had my choice of the best seats in the house. The picture clarity and sound were terrific. The picture was maybe the sharpest I've ever seen in a theater. The sound carried the low end wonderfully (I could feel the low end in my chest), and the high end was almost perfect in that it was never piercing to my ears or overly loud.

The movie was fun. I would say it's a good popcorn movie. I think it's safe to say at this point that the Die Hard franchise has no chance of ever going back and delivering any of the good character development from the first one, which is too bad, because John McClane is a great character.

As I mentioned before, I really liked Die Hard IV. I think this was not as good as that one in many ways. It did have a pretty amazing car chase scene in the front end of the movie though. It seemed like it went on forever, but the director found ways to keep in engaging.

I think, on the whole, this would be a really fun rental. I don't know that it's worth $10 to catch in a theater though.

I'll agree with your take on the latest Die Hard, though I did like Die Hard Three.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
    "End of Watch"...much betterthan I expected
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

glad you finally saw it. yeah i had no trouble believing he had cerebral palsy. He drove the cast and crew mad during the shoot, as he stayed in character the whole time as usual, requiring director and crew to haul him, in his wheelchair up stairs. And I believe he actually did learn how to put a record on using his foot.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

glad you finally saw it. yeah i had no trouble believing he had cerebral palsy. He drove the cast and crew mad during the shoot, as he stayed in character the whole time as usual, requiring director and crew to haul him, in his wheelchair up stairs. And I believe he actually did learn how to put a record on using his foot.
    Yeah, I read that. He did the writing and record player with his right foot and then they mirrored the image. I read he broke two ribs while they were shooting the movie, which he confirmed.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    Saw Side Effects earlier today with Rooney Mara, Jude Law, Catherine Zeta=Jones, and Channing Tatum. Real good psychological thriller/drama movie i thought.
    Saw that a few weeks ago.. I agree with you, it was good. Twists, and I was cheering on Jude Law towards the end.
    Recently, I saw Zero Dark Thirty--not a favorite, and WAY.TOO.LONG. However, Jessica Chastain is awesome.
    Seven Psychopaths--one of the more enjoyable flicks I have seen in recent memory. If you like dark comedy, you will love this film. Fabulous cast.
    Also saw Arbitrage--fantastic, imo. There's a reason for Richard Gere being typecast as the wealthy businessman; he plays it well.
    Flight--f*cking insane, rather melancholic; best I've ever seen in acting from Denzel.
    Sinister.. okay, nothing to brag about. Enjoyed Ethan Hawke much more in Training Day and as a cartoon character in Waking Life.
  • Options
    EmBleve wrote:
    Saw that a few weeks ago.. I agree with you, it was good. Twists, and I was cheering on Jude Law towards the end.
    Recently, I saw Zero Dark Thirty--not a favorite, and WAY.TOO.LONG. However, Jessica Chastain is awesome.
    Seven Psychopaths--one of the more enjoyable flicks I have seen in recent memory. If you like dark comedy, you will love this film. Fabulous cast.
    Also saw Arbitrage--fantastic, imo. There's a reason for Richard Gere being typecast as the wealthy businessman; he plays it well.
    Flight--f*cking insane, rather melancholic; best I've ever seen in acting from Denzel.
    Sinister.. okay, nothing to brag about. Enjoyed Ethan Hawke much more in Training Day and as a cartoon character in Waking Life.

I agree on 7 psychopaths. very original flick I think.
    I think Jessica Chastain is maybe the actress in a a movie I saw called "Jolene" a few years back and I thought she would be getting bigger roles one day.

Waking Life was awesome too! 8-)
  • Options

Yes. First time I saw it in the theater it blew my mind. :lol: I tried to get my parents to watch it later--good times. That lasted about 15 minutes.
  • Options
    EmBleve wrote:

Yes. First time I saw it in the theater it blew my mind. :lol: I tried to get my parents to watch it later--good times. That lasted about 15 minutes.

Yeah, I've never successfully shared that movie with anyone... and you've got to be in the right mood for it. The first time I saw it, I think i tore into one too many bong hits, and that weird/slightly moving animation freaked me the fuck out. Then I saw it again later on with the right mind, and it was much better when I realized the floating animation was on purpose. :lol:
  • Options
    Yeah, I've never successfully shared that movie with anyone... and you've got to be in the right mood for it. The first time I saw it, I think i tore into one too many bong hits, and that weird/slightly moving animation freaked me the fuck out. Then I saw it again later on with the right mind, and it was much better when I realized the floating animation was on purpose. :lol:
    :lol: yeah, I can imagine.
  • Options
    I saw two "kids" movies on Saturday.

Caught an early showing of The Croods which was very enjoyable. Typical Dreamworks film.

Then i saw Jack The Giant Slayer at night. That was also very good. Only part I didn't really carefor was the very ending. CG was cool and the characters were pretty decent. the giants were ok looking.

Both movies i would recommend.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Spring Breakers

I'm not really sure what to say. This would have been a pass 10 out of 10 times but some reviews got me curious. Anyways - I found the movie absolutely bizarre, gratuitous and without a clear vision (maybe that was intentional). James Franco - pretty out there performance.

For those looking for gratuitous sex and violence and drug use - this is the movie for you. For film peeps - I'd love to hear your take on it.
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    EmBleve wrote:

Great movie! I really liked it,

Saw it some years ago, was thinking about it the other day, then saw it was on tv! Recorded it, got a friend over, smoked up and enjoyed it even more the second time.
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05rzPnZ6lxw

'Rush'

(Looking forward to this one)
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,040
    Heisenberg wrote:
    "End of Watch"...much betterthan I expected

Just finished......good stuff!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    Watched "Lincoln" again on Saturday. DDL is just spectacular.
  • Options
    Just watched "In the Name of the Father." Oh man, what a movie! Daniel Day-Lewis was absolutely fantastic in it.
  • Options
    Just went to see "Upstream Color". Not exactly sure what to make of it, but it definitely held my attention and entertained me. Shane Carruth might be the smartest man in a director's chair. If you are into experimental film, it's worth checking out.
  • Options
    I haven't been to the movies in a few weeks. Still need to see Evil Dead, 42, and Oblivian.

Will def. see Iron Man 3 this week though :D
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    Mud = :thumbup:

It's a very slow burn but I think Jeff Nichols is one of the best directors around right now. I love that this guys films feel like classic old novels. Don't know if it's as good as "Shotgun Stories" or "Take Shelter", but still, it was a very good film.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    polaris_x wrote:
    Spring Breakers

I'm not really sure what to say. This would have been a pass 10 out of 10 times but some reviews got me curious. Anyways - I found the movie absolutely bizarre, gratuitous and without a clear vision (maybe that was intentional). James Franco - pretty out there performance.

For those looking for gratuitous sex and violence and drug use - this is the movie for you. For film peeps - I'd love to hear your take on it.

I think it helps if you know harmony korine.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,040
    Newch91 wrote:
    Just watched "In the Name of the Father." Oh man, what a movie! Daniel Day-Lewis was absolutely fantastic in it.

Great flick!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Just went to see "Upstream Color". Not exactly sure what to make of it, but it definitely held my attention and entertained me. Shane Carruth might be the smartest man in a director's chair. If you are into experimental film, it's worth checking out.

This was a beautiful film. Check out Primer if you havent. The use of sound on this one was incredible, the last maybe 20 minutes with that droning electronic sound was gorgeous. Very incredible movie.

I love movies like this, he doesnt give a damn about explaining anything. He films a movie, and lets us decide. A true artist
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    A new Riddick movie is coming out.

:corn: