Movie Threads?

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    with the sports world being dead....

watched parts of the orginal tron last night....i used to dislike it, but it's grown on me.

flippped over to battlefield LA....while a stinkin pile of shit that movie was.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    81 wrote:
    Ironically, it was filmed in Louisiana ... whose state initials are LA ... so I guess it holds merit.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Jason P wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Ironically, it was filmed in Louisiana ... whose state initials are LA ... so I guess it holds merit.

merit? in regards to????
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Jason P wrote:
    81 wrote:

merit? in regards to????

:fp:

LA = Los Angles
    LA = Louisiana
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

merit? in regards to????

:fp:

LA = Los Angles
    LA = Louisiana

yeah i get that... but how is that merit??? the movie is a stinking pile of shit and just cause LA(the city) somehow equates in your mind to LA (louisiana) doesnt make it meritorious in any way what so ever. :P
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    yeah i get that... but how is that merit??? the movie is a stinking pile of shit and just cause LA(the city) somehow equates in your mind to LA (louisiana) doesnt make it meritorious in any way what so ever. :P
    I was remarking on the irony that a film about Los Angeles was not filmed in Los Angeles.

I find it amusing that Hollywood is pro raising taxes yet they move entire film crews thousands of miles away to reap on tax credit havens.
    :fp: :fp: :fp:
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,724
    Just watched Project X. Terrible but mildly entertaining. American Reunion next. Guess it's terrible movie day here. :lol:
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,798
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Just watched Project X. Terrible but mildly entertaining. American Reunion next. Guess it's terrible movie day here. :lol:

I couldn't stand Project X, probably the worse movie I saw this year and I've seen a lot so far.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,724
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I couldn't stand Project X, probably the worse movie I saw this year and I've seen a lot so far.

Yeah, it was pretty horrible. I enjoyed American Reunion. Nostalgia I guess.
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Saw the Intouchables this weekend. It was EASILY the best movie I've seen all year. Super funny.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1675434/

PJ related: the soundtrack also include the song that Pearl Jam plays right before they get on stage.
  • dawngdawng Posts: 644
    If you haven't seen "Dead Man" yet, it's a great movie that never got much press.

Another really interesting thing about this movie is that Neil Young recorded the soundtrack while previewing the movie.

And the film has has Johnny Depp. What could be better? :D
    Check out my Sudsy Chick Etsy Store for all natural homemade bath products!
  • davidtrios wrote:
    Saw the Intouchables this weekend. It was EASILY the best movie I've seen all year. Super funny.

That's funny because today I watched the untouchables ;)
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    I went to see The Angels Share last week.Brilliant Ken Loach film about a young Glaswegian man trying to break his cycle of crime.Very bittersweet as Loach does so well.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
    Anyone see the movie "Savages" yet? One friend lied it and heard it was getting decent reviews.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    i'm watching tree of life right now. i think someone taped some parts over with "planet earth" and stephen hawking's "into the universe"
    saw the dark knight rises today. i enjoyed it. i called one thing before i saw the film and another early on. but all in all christopher did justice to the story. cant wait to see what he does with that most famous of illegal aliens, superman.

also saw shorts of the new bourne movie. cant wait for that, i like jeremy renner and edward norton.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Caught a matinee of Bernie this afternoon. It was pretty good, Jack Black was great in it. If you have a chance to see, go see it (probably on netflix).
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    megatron wrote:
    i'm watching tree of life right now. i think someone taped some parts over with "planet earth" and stephen hawking's "into the universe"

agreed. I don't get the hoopla surrounding this film. Yes it looks fantastic, but even Sean Penn admitted he has no idea what is going on, or why he even has a part in it.
    THERES A SHIT ON MY FLOOR!!!!

i saw TED on the weekend. i was LMAO!! seth macfarlane is so politically incorrect but so very funny.

giovanni ribisi dancing to tiffany was priceless., he plays a creepy guy real well... a little too well in fact.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Heisenberg wrote:
    megatron wrote:

agreed. I don't get the hoopla surrounding this film. Yes it looks fantastic, but even Sean Penn admitted he has no idea what is going on, or why he even has a part in it.

yea i thought i was a pretty smart moviegoer...makes me feel better that even penn was confused :lol:
  • Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    Has anyone seen "Beasts of the Southern Wild" ?? I've heard good things....
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    edited July 2012
    Heisenberg wrote:
    megatron wrote:

Thats the appeal of it. Malicks cinematography was literally art. Some of the most gorgeous shots ive ever seen. he truely does compose his films like he's some french impressionist painter. I got sucked into it. I love that type of stuff, beautiful shots mixed with a thought provoking premise of trying to figure out why bad things happen and why God allows it to happen. Thats been the subject of art and books and music and film since the beginning of time. The thing that sets TOL apart is Malick was crazy enough to actually try and come up with an answer. I also respond most to art that challenges the consumer. How rare of a film to actually make you think, make you feel, change your perspective or life. The fact the movie refuses to conform to the linear cookie cutter mold of how Hollywood makes movies is just icing on the cake. I want films and art like that. Can you imagine the silence and jaws dropping as Malick explained to the studio, "hey im going to make a film where there is about 6 pages of dialgue total, most of the dialogue is whispered, there are long shots of nature, and I will spend 15 minutes depicting how God created the world". Who does that? Thats why its hyped and buzzed about, why it was such a big deal. Who in their right mind would even attempt to make a movie about it, and how likely would it be it would be a disaster?One of my favorite films of all time. Saw it at the theater, and after it was done my mom and I turned to each other and said "wow". It was hard to communicate the rest of the night.

Malicks films are events. He doesnt make films every year. Its like a radiohead album. A cultural event everyone knows about.

The film was flawless. From the acting to the writing, cinematography, the story, all of it. Couldnt have asked for more. Probably the most accruate depiction of childhood and growing up ive ever witnessed. And I like films and art that discuss the searchers quest, why are we here, what is the purpose of life, does God exist. I love blockbusters, and popcorn flicks, comic book movies, mainstream stuff, but give me Tree of Life any day, thats what its all about.

Plus, as a fan of Brad and Sean, I knew about this way back in 2006/2007. And had been anticipating it for what 5 years. Seemed like it was a distinct possibility it wasnt even going to come out.

I dont want movies that explain stuff. I dont want art that does that. I want David Lynch stuff, or Gaspar Noe, Malick movies, Mars Volta albums, where the audience decides and thinks about it.

I want art that changes my life, and alters my reality, and makes me question if I need to rearrange my life around.

plus heisenberg, you of all people should be aware of all this. BB is so brilliant because its so boundary pushing. Vince and crew dont follow any rules. They create their own, and have created as a result most likely the greatest tv show ever. Theres a lesson there somewhere. They surround themselves with the best in the buisness and as a result they create extremely high quality art. They arent apologetic, and wont be. If people are angry about the season finale and series finale, vince sure as hell wont be out there apologizing. He creates what he wants, period.
    Post edited by musicismylife78 on
    i just like movies where i can hear what is being said.
    megatron wrote:
    i just like movies where i can hear what is being said.

i hear you, but i just dont think that was ever part of the equation for malick. Thats expectations of a typical movie. This isnt a typical movie. As a creative person I respect Malick and anyone else, who chooses to make art their way as opposed to caving to what people want to box in as being "this is a movie, and this is how it should look, and sound, and feel like". Art that means anything to me always steps outside that box.

I think you were supposed to let the images wash over you, and take everything in almost subconsciously. There was famously, many people, in many showings of the movie across the country who walked out of the movie. Supposedly there were signs in theaters that if you walked out within the first few minutes you could get your money back. Even at Cannes, where it won the top prize, people booed it.

I saw it twice in theaters and I never see movies more than once in theaters. The 2nd viewing i was able to pick up alot more of what was going on. The first viewing my jaw dropped and i didnt pick it up off the floor until the film ended.

That said, its clearly not a typical summer blockbuster film. I think people were confused and expected some Fast 5 movie or something.

For me watching the movie was a treat. We arent going to get many movies like this in our lifetime. I loved my brain's thinking as it became clear he was going to spend a good deal of time, 15 minutes depicting God creating the world. Was he truely going to do this? Really? Yes, he really is.
    as far as penn, he;s one of my favorite actors, i highly respect him and see any movie he;s in. But his response makes little sense. He was in Thin Red Line so he knew his process and everyones seen malicks previous films. The shoot for TOL was fascinating, I encourage people to check out interviews and press the crew and cast did when it was released. The shots in the movie are so gorgeous because he films absolutely everything, the butterfly landing on Jessica chastains finger for example, or the shadows of light playing on the wall could only happen with a director like malick. Sounds like a once in a lifetime experience on set. Not your typical set. So this idea that Penn had no idea what was going on, or that he couldnt understand, or whatever makes little sense to me. Supposedly the script itself, read like poetry. I know Sean said it, and I also think he said he disliked the film, but that makes me scratch my head, why he would expect anything other than what he got. I dont know how anyone who worked on that film could be disappointed with any aspect of it. As I said, you most likely will never see another film like this again
    saw the dark knight rises today. i enjoyed it. i called one thing before i saw the film and another early on. but all in all christopher did justice to the story. cant wait to see what he does with that most famous of illegal aliens, superman.

also saw shorts of the new bourne movie. cant wait for that, i like jeremy renner and edward norton.

oddly enough given the topic at hand, Tree of Life, the trailer for Man of Steel had a feel and look similar to Tree of Life. Seemed almost Into the Wild-esque, of this boy trying to find his way and find himself and strike out on his own. Almost felt like it was going to be a trailer for a Tree of Life type film. Zack Snyder facinates me. Sucker Punch blew my mind, I was in the minority in terms of that film, as I loved it, i felt he ruined Watchmen which obviously is one of if not the greatest graphic novel of all time. And I loved the themes and morals in that one, meaning sucker punch, so Im eager to see him hopefully, and the trailer seems to confirm that, deal with similar issues and ideas in a film you wouldnt expect to deal with such deep moral and ethical and life issues which is a comic book movie
  • just saw moonrise kingdom, wanted to see it for awhile but dark knight rises came out. glad i didnt miss it, liked it alot.

my question is why dont great movies like this get more attention?
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    just saw moonrise kingdom, wanted to see it for awhile but dark knight rises came out. glad i didnt miss it, liked it alot.

my question is why dont great movies like this get more attention?

Because most of the movie watching public prefer shit like Transformers 22 and generic Jennifer Aniston rom-coms.
    Stardog3.. wrote:

is this your bio?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    81 wrote:
    Stardog3.. wrote:

is this your bio?

Yes. I wrote a script, pitched it, got it made into a movie and titled it "Beasts of the Southern Wild" due to the fact I grew up in the south, in the wild, and am a hairy beast.