Movie Threads?

Comments

• EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    Before reading the recent posts, was going to say MUST see Magic Mike and Ted. :lol: Still must see them.
    Joe Mangianello could make me go see ANYthing. Omg.
    also, saw The Descendents (poignant, yet fantastic and wonderful), and Midnight in Paris (meh, personally couldn't stand Owen Wilson in this role).
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,798
    stargirl69 wrote:
    Saw Moonrise Kingdom this week.Wes Anderson (The Royal Tenenbaums,The Darjeeling Limited,Fantastic Mr Fox,The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou)

Gorgeous film set in 1965 coming of age/never quite fitting in journey of boy scout Sam and storyteller Suzy falling in love and running away,well to the other side of the 16ft Island they live on :D

I was on the journey with them and I didn't want it to end.Funny,thought provoking,quirky and beautifully shot and Billy Murray as Suzy's dad :thumbup:

Finally saw this last night. Very entertaining and well done. Bill Murray, Ed Norton, Bruce Willis and the kids were fantastic. Kinda reminded me of Little Miss Sunshine in a way (independent film that was very well done and funny).
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    stargirl69 wrote:
    Saw Moonrise Kingdom this week.Wes Anderson (The Royal Tenenbaums,The Darjeeling Limited,Fantastic Mr Fox,The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou)

Gorgeous film set in 1965 coming of age/never quite fitting in journey of boy scout Sam and storyteller Suzy falling in love and running away,well to the other side of the 16ft Island they live on :D

I was on the journey with them and I didn't want it to end.Funny,thought provoking,quirky and beautifully shot and Billy Murray as Suzy's dad :thumbup:

Finally saw this last night. Very entertaining and well done. Bill Murray, Ed Norton, Bruce Willis and the kids were fantastic. Kinda reminded me of Little Miss Sunshine in a way (independent film that was very well done and funny).
    Yaaay! I hadn't heard about this movie but im definitely going to see it. I love The Royal Tenenbaums, so kooky and clever. Can't wait! :)
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    watched van helsing again the other night. ugh what an awful movie.. tho i thought richard roxburgh was good as dracula. but then again he usually is, in any role.

looking forward to abraham lincoln:vampire killer. and frankenweenie and of course breaking dawn part 2
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    watched van helsing again the other night. ugh what an awful movie.
    I agree! I fell asleep in that movie! :lol:
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
    Loulou wrote:
    watched van helsing again the other night. ugh what an awful movie.
    I agree! I fell asleep in that movie! :lol:

too many 'monsters'.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I need your help with the title a late 80's or early 90's movie. I tried wikipedia but it's not there.

Matt Damon stars the movie. He is a student in a boarding school in South Africa during the time of apartheid. He meets a red-haired girl, the co-star, he falls in love with her and because of this he starts to help her with some community work such as teaching black kids at school. The father of the girl doesn't approve neither what they are doing nor the relationship, which comes to an abrupt end.

Can you help me with the title of this movie? If so, send a PM to me, many thanks in advance, javis
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    I need your help with the title a late 80's or early 90's movie. I tried wikipedia but it's not there.

Matt Damon stars the movie. He is a student in a boarding school in South Africa during the time of apartheid. He meets a red-haired girl, the co-star, he falls in love with her and because of this he starts to help her with some community work such as teaching black kids at school. The father of the girl doesn't approve neither what they are doing nor the relationship, which comes to an abrupt end.

Can you help me with the title of this movie? If so, send a PM to me, many thanks in advance, javis

Maybe Invictus? I never saw it, but I think it took place in south Africa.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    Loulou wrote:
    stargirl69 wrote:

Yaaay! I hadn't heard about this movie but im definitely going to see it. I love The Royal Tenenbaums, so kooky and clever. Can't wait! :)

There were parts of this film I thoroughly enjoyed and others that felt forced and awkward. I love Wes Anderson, but I'm beginning to wonder if he'll ever approach the perfection of The Royal Tennenbaums, Life Acquatic, etc. again
    I need your help with the title a late 80's or early 90's movie. I tried wikipedia but it's not there.

the power of one and its not matt damon its stephen dorff.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I need your help with the title a late 80's or early 90's movie. I tried wikipedia but it's not there.

the power of one and its not matt damon its stephen dorff.

gonna check that, thanks catefrances...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

youre welcome. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Watched "The Late Shift" today on YouTube. About the Letterman-Leno fight for "The Tonight Show". Crazy behind the scenes stuff of what went on. Leno's agent seemed like a real bitch during that time.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    just finished watching blackthorn starring sam shepard.

going in i was biased due to my appreciation of all things sam shepard related. my interest was peaked even more when i discovered nichoj coster-waldau was also in the cast... some of you may know him as jaime lannister from game of thrones. in blackthorn he plays young butch cassidy to sam shepard older incarnation. anyhoo my point is.... i give this movie 4/5. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    watched van helsing again the other night. ugh what an awful movie.. tho i thought richard roxburgh was good as dracula. but then again he usually is, in any role.

looking forward to abraham lincoln:vampire killer. and frankenweenie and of course breaking dawn part 2

Have you watched Rake? Damn he's sexy in that! 8-)
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Loulou wrote:
    stargirl69 wrote:

double featuring it with Ted tommorrow. i hated the Royal Tenebaums tho., but this move looked interesting and fit nicely into our post Ted viewing time slot.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    ZiggyStar wrote:

Have you watched Rake? Damn he's sexy in that! 8-)

no i havent. may just have to give it a looksee.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    Just watched "Our Idiot Brother" with my sons. thought it was going to be a stupid-humor movie like Step brothers, but it was not. Had some stupid humor and it was actually a feel-good movie, we all enjoyed it. Had a lot of unnecessary male nudity and f-bombs
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    I watched "Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son about his Father" last night, which some friends had recommended.

What a sad story. From IMDB:

"In 2001, Andrew Bagby, a medical resident, is murdered not long after breaking up with his girlfriend. Soon after, when she announces she's pregnant, one of Andrew's many close friends, Kurt Kuenne, begins this film, a gift to the child. Friends, relatives, and colleagues say warm and loving things about Andrew, home movies confirm his exuberance. Andrew's parents, Kathleen and David, move to Labrador where the ex-girlfriend has gone. They await an arrest and trial of the murderer. They negotiate with the ex-girlfriend to visit their grandchild, Zachary, and they seek custody. Is there any justice; is Zachery a sweet and innocent consolation for the loss of their son?"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1152758/
    81 wrote:
    i hated the Royal Tenebaums

Communist :nono:
  • Pamela0222Pamela0222 Posts: 1,544
    I watched This Means War.... It was cute, I mostly watched it for Chris Pine and Tom Hardy :lol:
    The thing I like most about time is that it's not real. It's all in the head. Sure, it's a useful trick to use if you want to meet someone at a specific place in the universe and have tea or coffee- but that's all it is- a trick. There is no such thing as the past. It exists only in the memory. There is no such thing as the future. It exists only in our imagination. If our watches were truly accurate, the only thing they would ever say is "Now". That's what time it is. It's "Now". - Damien Echols
    watched SUPER last night. interesting. but id already seen kickass so...
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    oona left wrote:
    I watched "Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son about his Father" last night, which some friends had recommended.

What a sad story. From IMDB:

"In 2001, Andrew Bagby, a medical resident, is murdered not long after breaking up with his girlfriend. Soon after, when she announces she's pregnant, one of Andrew's many close friends, Kurt Kuenne, begins this film, a gift to the child. Friends, relatives, and colleagues say warm and loving things about Andrew, home movies confirm his exuberance. Andrew's parents, Kathleen and David, move to Labrador where the ex-girlfriend has gone. They await an arrest and trial of the murderer. They negotiate with the ex-girlfriend to visit their grandchild, Zachary, and they seek custody. Is there any justice; is Zachery a sweet and innocent consolation for the loss of their son?"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1152758/

i watched this one not knowing anything about it. brutal and emotional. one of the best documentaries ever made
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    Heisenberg wrote:

that was pretty funny. I think I know someone I want to send it to
    Finally got around to watching "Jeff Who Lives At Home" last night. It's not great but it's not bad either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6gDrm9bH5o
  • Heisenberg wrote:
    Finally got around to watching "Jeff Who Lives At Home" last night. It's not great but it's not bad either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6gDrm9bH5o

just finished watching it. I'd describe it as "cute".
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Watched Goon on Netflix. Solid, funny movie.

Also watched Dale and Tucker Vs. Evil which turned out to be a good flick as well in the Comedy / Horror genre.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    R.I.P. Ernest Borgnine

thumbnail.aspx?q=4587914759701134&id=b3e0d9a76b37730afeb26dadeaa0e043
    just watched final destination again.

as the parent of teenagers past and present i have seen some shit teenage films(usually with freddie prinze jnr in the cast) and ive seen some quality ones. final destinmation is a quality one.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say