Options

Movie Threads?

Comments

• Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Finally saw Toy Story 3 the other night after a few false starts.

That scene in the incinerator was probably one of the single greatest bits of cinema I've ever witnessed. That was amazing story telling. Afterwards I made the observation that every time I see a Pixar movie I feel emotionally involved in the story. They hold my interest and sometimes I have a sense of wonder.

Then I thought about that experience in comparison to virtually every other movie I have seen come out of Hollywood. I'm amazed that Hollywood and all of it's movie studios stay open. With rare exception (maybe one movie a year or so) do I think anything Hollywood makes is really worth the time or money. There are a lot of movies I get enjoyment out of, but very few that I remember with sincere fondness past the closing of the final scene.

It's remarkable to me how a cartoon studio manages to best virtually all of the live action performances Hollywood has to offer so consistently.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,216
    Probably see Source Code tomorrow night.

Scream 4 midnight showing!
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    clashmanclashman Posts: 320
    i saw yesterday animal house for the first time! good god- belushi rocked!
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    clashman wrote:

:shock:

you must be one of them teenage members that i've heard so much about
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    81 wrote:
    clashman wrote:

:lol:
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    clashmanclashman Posts: 320
    81 wrote:
    clashman wrote:

:D i know this film is BIG in the usa, but in europe not so much.
  • Options
    HeavyHands wrote:

That scene in the incinerator was probably one of the single greatest bits of cinema I've ever witnessed. That was amazing story telling. Afterwards I made the observation that every time I see a Pixar movie I feel emotionally involved in the story. They hold my interest and sometimes I have a sense of wonder.

Then I thought about that experience in comparison to virtually every other movie I have seen come out of Hollywood. I'm amazed that Hollywood and all of it's movie studios stay open. With rare exception (maybe one movie a year or so) do I think anything Hollywood makes is really worth the time or money. There are a lot of movies I get enjoyment out of, but very few that I remember with sincere fondness past the closing of the final scene.

It's remarkable to me how a cartoon studio manages to best virtually all of the live action performances Hollywood has to offer so consistently.

as soon as i saw the film last year i was campaigning to have it win best picture at the oscars. it was my favorite film of the year. in my mind, it could be argued that pixar had the best films of the year in 2008 with wall-e, in 2009 with up and in 2010 with toy story 3.

the incinerator scene was mindblowing i agree. i also think the ending, with the boy giving his toy away was absolutely heartwrenching. i was sobbing in the theater.

i still think it should have won best picture. it was my favorite film of 2010.

its pretty unreal how the filmmakers make you feel for and cry over an animated movie depicting plastic toys.

best movie of 2010, flat out
  • Options
    ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    HeavyHands wrote:

as soon as i saw the film last year i was campaigning to have it win best picture at the oscars. it was my favorite film of the year. in my mind, it could be argued that pixar had the best films of the year in 2008 with wall-e, in 2009 with up and in 2010 with toy story 3.

the incinerator scene was mindblowing i agree. i also think the ending, with the boy giving his toy away was absolutely heartwrenching. i was sobbing in the theater.

i still think it should have won best picture. it was my favorite film of 2010.

its pretty unreal how the filmmakers make you feel for and cry over an animated movie depicting plastic toys.

best movie of 2010, flat out
    Agreed! Love that movie!!
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • Options
    ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    Seen Country Strong last night. Good movie. Watch the theatrical version though...the way it was meant to be come across. Has more impact. ;)
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,216
    Saw Source Code last night, I highly recommend it, it was a cool concept and idea.

Seeing a midnight show for Scream 4 tonight
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    HeavyHands wrote:
    I'm kinda underwhelmed with what i've read of the new one they have in production right now... something about a scottish princess... seems kind of run of the mill... i'm sure they'll bring something cool to it though... they never fail to impress me
    Seeing a midnight show for Scream 4 tonight
    hot cast... let us know how it is :)
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    well ... saw Hanna last nite ... i'm not sure if i placed too many expectations on this movie but it's just not quite all their ... some decent performances and some good sequences but overall it didn't captivate me which then meant some of the fiction in the movie was harder to swallow ...
  • Options
    I'm kinda underwhelmed with what i've read of the new one they have in production right now... something about a scottish princess... seems kind of run of the mill... i'm sure they'll bring something cool to it though... they never fail to impress me

It was recently pointed out to me that all of the lead protagonists in Pixar's movies have been male. I think it's about time that they have a female lead. Can't wait to see this new one even though your mention of it is the first I've heard of it.

So far I think their weakest* movie is Cars. I'm pretty surprised they're making a sequel.

*For Pixar I define weakest film like I would weakest album for PJ. There are some films (albums) you prefer over others, but incredibly, there's really not a dud in amongst the bunch. It's just a matter of preference as to which you like the most at any moment.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    HeavyHands wrote:

It was recently pointed out to me that all of the lead protagonists in Pixar's movies have been male. I think it's about time that they have a female lead. Can't wait to see this new one even though your mention of it is the first I've heard of it.

So far I think their weakest* movie is Cars. I'm pretty surprised they're making a sequel.

*For Pixar I define weakest film like I would weakest album for PJ. There are some films (albums) you prefer over others, but incredibly, there's really not a dud in amongst the bunch. It's just a matter of preference as to which you like the most at any moment.
    You thought Cars was the weakest? I thought that was great. I thought A Bugs Life was the weakest Pixar film.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    ...I thought A Bugs Life was the weakest Pixar film.

Mkay. Completely forgot about that one. You're right.

Still though, Cars... Meh. Especially when compared to the emotional highs and lows of the Toy Story movies, Wall-E, Up, or The Incredibles. L.O.V.E. love those.
  • Options
    HeavyHands wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Still though, Cars... Meh. Especially when compared to the emotional highs and lows of the Toy Story movies, Wall-E, Up, or The Incredibles. L.O.V.E. love those.
    Yep. Those are on top for Pixar. But Pixar has been pretty consistent, except A Bugs Life. After the Toy Story movies, Monsters Inc. was always one of my favorites.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    HeavyHands wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Yep. Those are on top for Pixar. But Pixar has been pretty consistent, except A Bugs Life. After the Toy Story movies, Monsters Inc. was always one of my favorites.

You know what I think part of my problem with Cars is? The soundtrack. None of the other Pixar movies (that I can think of) have a contemporary pop music soundtrack. I feel like it was included to mask the fact that it just wasn't up to par.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    I agree, The Machinist was a really good movie. I could not believe Christian Bale wasn't nominated for his performance ~ amazing acting!

just watched it. first 30 minutes or so was solid, than it become boring and slow. i'd give it 2 out of 5 stars
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    DO NOT rent Fair Game with Sean Penn and Naomi Watts. BOOOOOORING. However, the saving grace was watching Naomi walk away several times. Sweet sweet butt.

That was the best part of the movie.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Watched The Fountain with Hugh Jackman last week. Holy crapoli that was bizarre. Very very good though.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    HeavyHands wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

I never really liked Wall-E that much, I'm not sure why though. :?
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    I watched Easy Money tonight and fell asleep 30 minutes into it.
  • Options
    Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    I watched Requiem for a Dream last night.....GREATEST ANTI-DRUG MOVIE EVER!

Seriously, so depressing.
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • Options
    Lukin66 wrote:

Completely agree. It's a great movie. Filmed well. Edited well. Acted well. Very compelling story.

I watched it once and won't ever again.

Watched The Other Guys last night. I was excited because it re-teamed Adam McKay and Will Ferrell. Some good stuff, but not nearly to the ridiculous heights of Anchorman.

My favorite scene is where Will Ferrell and Mark Walberg are driving in a car over a bridge and Will Ferrell gives Walberg a "FBI" mug. Between Ferrell explaining about the meaning of "FBI" to Walberg throwing it out the window to the Little River Band to the silent looks of contempt Walberg shoots Ferrell that scene is amazingly hilarious.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,451
    HeavyHands wrote:
    Lukin66 wrote:

Completely agree. It's a great movie. Filmed well. Edited well. Acted well. Very compelling story.

I watched it once and won't ever again.

Watched The Other Guys last night. I was excited because it re-teamed Adam McKay and Will Ferrell. Some good stuff, but not nearly to the ridiculous heights of Anchorman.

My favorite scene is where Will Ferrell and Mark Walberg are driving in a car over a bridge and Will Ferrell gives Walberg a "FBI" mug. Between Ferrell explaining about the meaning of "FBI" to Walberg throwing it out the window to the Little River Band to the silent looks of contempt Walberg shoots Ferrell that scene is amazingly hilarious.

i enjoyed Other Guys....that's gotta be hitting hbo soon i would imagine
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    i enjoyed Other Guys....that's gotta be hitting hbo soon i would imagine

it popped up on netflix streaming the other day. not sure if you have that but i was surprised to see it there. now i can take it out of the mailing queue.
  • Options
    Release MeRelease Me Posts: 337
    watched RED with Bruce Willis and The Machurian Candidate with Denzel (been sitting on the dvr for weeks). I actually likes RED (is it all caps)? funny moments, plus I am in love with Mary Louise Parker
  • Options
    Louis CK - Hilarious.

You should probably watch it.
  • Options
    Release MeRelease Me Posts: 337
    HeavyHands wrote:
    Louis CK - Hilarious.

You should probably watch it.

ha! that's on my dvr too. saw him at a show out by me and got to meet him afterwards. that dude is funny. my wife was literally crying from laughing so hard at the show.
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    Release Me wrote:
    watched RED with Bruce Willis and The Machurian Candidate with Denzel (been sitting on the dvr for weeks). I actually likes RED (is it all caps)? funny moments, plus I am in love with Mary Louise Parker
    nancy/natalie botwin scottson reyes laplante newman is in that?? now i gotta see it :D
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/