Options

Movie Threads?

Comments

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    polaris_x wrote:
    for those that don't know ... the guy who directed Moon is the same guy as Source Code and the son of David Bowie ...

Source Code is getting good reviews, but one of the first reviews i read said, go into it not knowing anything, so thats my plan.

gonna go see it tonite ... it's like at 90% on RT which is pretty high for a movie like that ...
  • Options
    Moon is excellent. Dark City is an aquired taste I think, but worth checking out.
  • Options
    ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    Newch91 wrote:
    On the subject of Christian Bale i just recently saw The Machinist, Good movie, bug out, what an actor.
    Yeah that movie was crazy. To me, it seemed like "Fight Club" but with Christian Bale.

I think I am going to rent that one, sounds like just my style...btw, my husband is a machinist by trade... :shifty: :lol:
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • Options
    The most recent movie I watched was Social Network on DVD. I thought it was really good and it helped that it closed with "Baby You're a Rich Man" by The Beatles (that always earns bonus points with me). We don't get to go out to the movies a lot, so we watch things when they come around on DVD. However, we took our son to see Rango on spring break, it was ok.

Edit: To the discussion about The Machinist, that is a great movie. A lot of Christian Bale movies are really good.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • Options
    Release MeRelease Me Posts: 337
    The Machinist was a phenomenal movie. Very messed up, but really good. One of Bale's best besides American Psycho (my fav). Just watched Let Me In remake, just ok. some good scenes. The Social Network is on the coffee table waiting to be watched this weekend
  • Options
    Source Code was entertaining enough ... fairly predictable ... not sure it's a 90% on RT tho ...
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Release Me wrote:
    The Machinist was a phenomenal movie. Very messed up, but really good. One of Bale's best besides American Psycho (my fav). Just watched Let Me In remake, just ok. some good scenes. The Social Network is on the coffee table waiting to be watched this weekend

I saw the original let the right one in i liked it but not enough to see the remake. but its certinly a movie i think about.
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    Source Code was entertaining enough ... fairly predictable ... not sure it's a 90% on RT tho ...

worth going to the movies?
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

worth going to the movies?

well ... hard to say ... i don't pay for movies ... so, i'm skewed a bit ...

i would go on a cheapie night if your area has one ... i think hanna will be worth a visit tho ...
  • Options
    Ya i'm thinking Sunday Matinee, Hanna looks great but my wife's not gona go see that :lol:
  • Options
    pinkbutterflypinkbutterfly Posts: 1,391
    I agree, The Machinist was a really good movie. I could not believe Christian Bale wasn't nominated for his performance ~ amazing acting!
    My last message to you ~

You're right. You are a monster! You are sick! Get help!

At least, I am not a fuck-up! A lying fuck-up!
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Watched "Gangs of New York" today. Holy shit Scorsese!
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Newch91 wrote:
    I caught the last 45 min or so on tv a few weeks back...hadn't seen it for a long time.
    That could have been one of the critic quotes they use on the movie posters....

"Holy shit Scorsese"
    -Newch91,Pearl Jam Forum

.... bout all that needed to be said about that movie. :lol:
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Newch91 wrote:
    I caught the last 45 min or so on tv a few weeks back...hadn't seen it for a long time.
    That could have been one of the critic quotes they use on the movie posters....

"Holy shit Scorsese"
    -Newch91,Pearl Jam Forum

.... bout all that needed to be said about that movie. :lol:
    :lol: Thanks. You're right...that's all that's needed to be said about that movie. That opening scene itself was crazy.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Newch91 wrote:
    :lol: Thanks. You're right...that's all that's needed to be said about that movie. That opening scene itself was crazy.
    :)
    I don't even remember the opening...I need to watch it start to finish again. I was kinda disappointed when it first came out....but I think my expectations were way too high...really, how could they not have been with the team that made it....but after watching the end again, I think I would like it more now than I did then.
    Post edited by Drowned Out on
  • Options
    I watched Equilibrium....meh. Didn't love it. I didn't see the matrix connection mentioned in the review I read. Trying to be more of a 1984/V for Vendetta kinda thing. One similarity to the Matrix - they did make Christian Bale's character able to dodge bullets fired from like 100 fully automatic guns at once.... however they don't explain HOW in Equilibrium aside from training. But I guess if you're going to bitch about that, you might as well stop watching half the movies out of hollywood.....Also, the overall premise of the movie is just kinda....stupid. implausible, even for sci fi...
    only moon and dark city left from my little sci fi binge....moon's up next.
  • Options
    pinkbutterflypinkbutterfly Posts: 1,391
    Tonight we watched 'Life As We Know It'. It was a cute movie and worth renting.
    My last message to you ~

You're right. You are a monster! You are sick! Get help!

At least, I am not a fuck-up! A lying fuck-up!
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,216
    Saw Hanna earlier today, pretty cool movie, highly recommended. Also kick ass soundtrack by the Chemical Brothers :)
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
    The trailer doesn't really do it justice, but I saw this over the weekend and thought it was really good. Duvall and Murray are awesome in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C25TG5kLJGw
  • Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    edited April 2011
    Loved The Fighter! Rented it and watched it alone in my living room and clapped for like 3 minutes straight at the end sequence. :lol:
    Oh, also really enjoyed Welcome to the Rileys...different and better than I thought it was going to be.
    Post edited by EmBleve on
  • Options
    EmBleve wrote:
    Loved The Fighter! Rented it and watched it alone in my living room and clapped for like 3 minutes straight at the end sequence. :lol:

I agree, it was good!
  • Options
    EmBleve wrote:

I agree, it was good!
    It was...and my boyfriend and I went to see Insidious this weekend and we had to leave an hour into the movie because there was a group of teenagers sitting behind us who laughed and talked the entire time. It was so annoying and totally ruined the atmosphere for a 'scary' movie. My bf complained to the manager and got our money back..but I have to see the end now. :roll:
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,652
    I thought The Fighter was just okay and not nearly as good as the hype. Christian Bale was awesome but Walhberg was pretty horrible. Dude didn't remind me of Mickey Ward a little bit.
  • Options
    Insidious is worth seeing, even if you have to rent it!!

We watched these 4 movies this weekend:

Tangled: very cute, I liked the chameleon (I really enjoy animated kids movies, stolen childhood :oops: )
    Score~A Hockey Musical: Canadian hockey humour...in song. Pretty funny, if you are into musicals and hockey and Canada :mrgreen:
    Howl: definitely for art and poetry fans :ugeek:
    Little Fockers: funny, but very similar to the others :lol:
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I thought The Fighter was just okay and not nearly as good as the hype. Christian Bale was awesome but Walhberg was pretty horrible. Dude didn't remind me of Mickey Ward a little bit.
    aww..I thought Mark Wahlberg was awesome in it! But, I didn't know who Mickey Ward was until I saw it, so that might have made it different.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,652
    EmBleve wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    aww..I thought Mark Wahlberg was awesome in it! But, I didn't know who Mickey Ward was until I saw it, so that might have made it different.

Well I am sure that would have helped a lot. Felt like I was watching Mark Wahlberg trying to be a boxer and not the person he was really trying to portray, if that makes any sense. I didn't hate it, just didn't think it was as good as it was made out to be.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    EmBleve wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Well I am sure that would have helped a lot. Felt like I was watching Mark Wahlberg trying to be a boxer and not the person he was really trying to portray, if that makes any sense. I didn't hate it, just didn't think it was as good as it was made out to be.
    yeah, I can understand that. Since I didn't know who he was I couldn't see it from that aspect. :) My dad told me later who he was and that he remembered watching his fights.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I thought It was pretty decent, but not great.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    EmBleve wrote:
    yeah, I can understand that. Since I didn't know who he was I couldn't see it from that aspect. :) My dad told me later who he was and that he remembered watching his fights.

The Ward vs. Gatti fights are classic. You should check them out if you get the chance.
  • Options
    Release MeRelease Me Posts: 337
    watched The Social Network last night. Really liked it. The pace kept up throughout and it was shot really nicely. I had to research a little this morning to see which parts were made up though. I don't facebook and haven't followed it oo much, but interesting that how many people want to get their piece of the pie when a business like that blows up.