Options

A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996

last night was great, I am losing track of what did/didnt happen in the books as we move beyond the 3rd book. Good to see some sex, violence, and humor throughout!

I'm so lost and I've read all the books. My husband (who hasn't read the books) asks me questions and I tell him I don't know what the hell is going on. I still like it though.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,735
    Enkidu said:

last night was great, I am losing track of what did/didnt happen in the books as we move beyond the 3rd book. Good to see some sex, violence, and humor throughout!

I'm so lost and I've read all the books. My husband (who hasn't read the books) asks me questions and I tell him I don't know what the hell is going on. I still like it though.
    Exactly this! My wife asked me to explain 2 or three things last night and I told her to pause a few times and did my best (some of the explanations took us back to season one, lol....the whole piece about Sansa's aunt and Dany's brother (which is key I think)) and some of the times I just quickly said "I dont know" so that I didn't miss what was happening.
    I like to re-watch these if I can find the time at night during the week between episodes because of the non-book-reader questions. I am sure I would have all of those questions as well if I hadn't read the first 3 books 3x each, the others 1-2 times.

Congrats on the Set List drawing win last night, very cool!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,260
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one confused! hahaha
    Had to read a review on IGN to straighten things up.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Dany's brother, Raegeryn(sp?), raped and killed Ned Starks sister, which basically kicked off the turmoil in the 7 kingdoms. Or did he, based on Littlefingers reaction....
    Robert Baratheon then killed Raegeryn and then Jamie ended up killing Dany's Father, the Mad King.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options

Dany's brother, Raegeryn(sp?), raped and killed Ned Starks sister, which basically kicked off the turmoil in the 7 kingdoms. Or did he, based on Littlefingers reaction....
    Robert Baratheon then killed Raegeryn and then Jamie ended up killing Dany's Father, the Mad King.

Wait a second....

Who's Jaime?

Damn show is so confusing!
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    mca47 said:

Wait a second....

Who's Jaime?

Hahaha...Jaime Lannister. Cersei and Tyrions brother. I spelled it wrong, but you get the point.
    The King slayer.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,735

Yeah I got all of that and this is why I paused during the playing and explained to my wife.....this is a key series to the entire story. (Even more key than Littlefinger being a p.o.s. who poisoned John Arryn and set this current Game of Thrones into play.)
    Littlefinger is the one to watch here, he seems to know/suspect all of the answers to all of the riddles in Westeros. :scream:
  • Options

mca47 said:

Wait a second....

Who's Jaime?

Hahaha...Jaime Lannister. Cersei and Tyrions brother. I spelled it wrong, but you get the point.
    The King slayer.
    Hahahahaha! I was just fucking with ya! :D
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364

Yeah I got all of that and this is why I paused during the playing and explained to my wife.....this is a key series to the entire story. (Even more key than Littlefinger being a p.o.s. who poisoned John Arryn and set this current Game of Thrones into play.)
    Littlefinger is the one to watch here, he seems to know/suspect all of the answers to all of the riddles in Westeros. :scream:
    Why do you think it was Littlefinger that poisoned Jon Arryn and not Cersei?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    ^^Crazy aunt Lysa admitted to it.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

Yep. Little finger is the bastard
  • Options

DewieCox said:

Yep. Little finger is the bastard
    That's right, he coerced her into doing it. There's almost too much to remember.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Who's Jon arryn?

That scene in the crypt had me like whaaaa? I feel like I need cliff notes. Also this R Targaereon guy isn't the same brother who got the metal crown from Mr. Khaleesi right?

Need cliff notes. Memory too shit for this show.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    Jon Arryn was Hand of the King before King Robert came to Winterfell and asked Ned to take the job over in the very first episode of the series. Arryn was poisoned by his wife, Lysa(who went through the moon door last season) on behalf of Littlefinger. This basically set off the events of the show.

Rhaegar Targaryen is the older brother of Khaleesi and golden crown guy(Viserys). He was in line to be king, but was killed Robert Baratheon roughly 15 years before the events of the show. He kidnapped or ran off with Lyanna Stark and when Ned's dad and bro went to King's Landing to get her, Mad King Aerys killed them, starting the war that made Robert king.
  • Options
    Thanks Dewie!
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    or Dewie Notes.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    That 1st Stoneman that jumped was a little freaky.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    thought that was awesome, look forward to watching back. My On Demand is busted so I need to watch the last 2 again to feel secure in my nerdness!
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,487
    Now we start the longest alternate ending in cinematic history!
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    Okay, tonight's episode. No spoilers. But... WTF? Seriously. I read the books, love them, but this may have jumped the shark for me.
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    Enkidu said:

Okay, tonight's episode. No spoilers. But... WTF? Seriously. I read the books, love them, but this may have jumped the shark for me.

really?....wasn't the book version waaaay worse?

aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    pjradio said:

Enkidu said:

But it wasn't Sansa. (I didn't think the Jaime/Cersei "rape" scene was really bad, btw.)
  • Options
    Stupid worthless Theon!
    That scene made me so mad! I wanted to jump through the screen and slit Ramsey's throat!
  • Options
    It was horrible and hard to watch but I'm glad it wasn't any more visually graphic.

Which of the night's watch guys was Mormont's father? I can't remember.
  • Options

Lord Commander Mormont of the Night's Watch.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Enkidu said:

pjradio said:

Enkidu said:

But it wasn't Sansa. (I didn't think the Jaime/Cersei "rape" scene was really bad, btw.)
    True. My wife was freaked out and I told her what happened to fake Arya in the books and she was really freaked out. Now that they are veering away from the books I keep waiting for awful stuff to happen -- liked it better when I knew what was coming and was ready for it!
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

I don't even remember him dying.

This is why I gave up on the idea of reading the books. My tiny little brain can't keep up with all this shit.
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

JK_Livin said:

I don't even remember him dying.

This is why I gave up on the idea of reading the books. My tiny little brain can't keep up with all this shit.
    They were at Crastor's Keep (spelling?) on their way back from their ranging out beyond the wall and those sleazebags revolted and killed a bunch of the knight's watch and started terrorizing the poor women that lived there and were all Crastor's daughters? Sick shit -- no wonder they didnt want to go with the men when they were finally rescued by Jon Snow and group. (Of course staying north of the wall means they will be walkers.)
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    I wouldn't say they have jumped the shark just yet, but the show's creators have The Fonz loading his Water Skis in the back of the jeep and are actively planning the trip to the beach to take on the California Kid.

The Jamie Lannister story arc (a major change from the book) has been a pure disaster, as is the lack of character development in the kingdom of Dorne.

Unlike previous kingdoms where the show has slowly wandered into and developed, they basically put the entire Book 5 and 6 into a paper shredder and then tried to make out of Dorne by what they could be pasting in back together.

It's still good, but I don't understand the need to make major plot changes when you have two entire giant books to get source material from. All they had to do was distill the boring parts and follow the good plot they have gift wrapped for them.

Is it because they figure they only have another season left before the actors contracts run out and they start asking for crazy amounts of money and so they figure that will be it?
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Bronn and Jamie sneaking into Dorne ...