Options

A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    edited June 2015
    Read this in a review of the episode:
    "We already knew Valyrian steel was good stuff. Forged in dragon fire, the blades never lose their edge. Ned Stark had such a blade: Ice. It was reforged into two blades. The first was given to Joffrey, the second to Jaime who later gave it to Brienne of Tarth. That’s at least one more Valyrian steel sword in the North that we know of, which I think may be important.

Littlefinger has a Valyrian steel dagger—the one used to almost kill Bran way back in the first season. There are a handful of others. Some accounted for, others not. Not much of an arsenal to go up against an army of really fast undead warriors. (These are not your Walking Dead shamblers, not by a long shot.)"
    Who ended up with Joffrey's sword? Tommen?
    Wonder if Jorah will end up exiled to Old Valyria once his greyscale is discovered....could play a part in obtaining more Valyrian steel when it comes time for the big battle between fire and ice...
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Did Tywin have one?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,886
    JK_Livin said:

Did Tywin have one?

Not sure if it was referenced on the show, I think it was, but the Lannisters had one a long time ago and it was lost.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Tywin made Stark's great sword into 2 swords, one for himself, and the other for Jamie
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,258
    Jason P said:

Tywin made Stark's great sword into 2 swords, one for himself, and the other for Jamie

I thought Tywin gave it to Joffery?
    I hope he wasn't buried with it...! hahaha...they'll be digging up that little shit if they did! haha
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Can the White Walkers only make people they killed rise from the dead or everyone?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    PopmartijnPopmartijn Posts: 382
    JK_Livin said:

Can the White Walkers only make people they killed rise from the dead or everyone?

Everyone. That's why the wildlings and the Night's Watch burn the bodies of their dead. Just so they can't rise again.
  • Options

JK_Livin said:

Everyone. That's why the wildlings and the Night's Watch burn the bodies of their dead. Just so they can't rise again.
    But isn't that just north of the wall?
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,685
    Watched again last night, that really was a great episode all around...one of the ones that made me wish it was at least an hour longer. More Arya. More Giants smashing zombies. More Dany and Tyrion....more pretty much everything except for Sam the Slayer.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,973
    We've seen brutal things before. We've seen disturbing things before. Still, I feel like THAT scene crossed the line.

The entire final sequence was awesome, though.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,685
    I thought the episode was really good. The fact that he caved to the red witch sucked but I thought the way they showed it was fine. No issue with bad things happening just don't make me watch it actually happen.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure the burning didn't happen in the books.

Next weeks episode should be interesting if it followed the last book's ending.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    JimmyV said:

We've seen brutal things before. We've seen disturbing things before. Still, I feel like THAT scene crossed the line.

I'm laughing cuz I think you're talking about Shireen, though in the same episode there was also a rather elaborate display of "hey this guy is a pedophile serial rapist" - though I admit I don't remember who he is to Arya.

It was a bad episode to be a little girl.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

JimmyV said:

I'm laughing cuz I think you're talking about Shireen, though in the same episode there was also a rather elaborate display of "hey this guy is a pedophile serial rapist" - though I admit I don't remember who he is to Arya.

It was a bad episode to be a little girl.
    You've got a point there. We see so much rape on this show that aside from a shudder of disgust that scene didn't even register much with me. We already have ample reason to hate that guy (he killed Arya's sword teacher, he beat Sansa, he testified against Tyrion, etc.) and this just seemed like one more log on the fire.

Burning little girls who are also your daughter...that was new.

• Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Great episode, but did anyone else think the end was corny?
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859

Great episode, but did anyone else think the end was corny?

I did not but I can understand why someone would. The cgi wasn't that great and I read somewhere that this show doesn't have the budget that big blockbusters get for cgi, which I think was a cop out. I do think that Dany's dress was awfully thin and those spikes on his back that she used for hand holds go all the way down his back ... Rather uncomfortable for a ride of any duration.

Was anyone else waiting for her to scream "faaaallllcccooooooor"?

Also, the episode should've been named how to train your Dragon.

After my initial 'lulz that happened' reaction it occurred to me that she just deserted all her people in that arena. I mean I get it, the metal mask dudes were after HER, so it stands to reason that they would fuck off after she takes off. But she can't really know that, and she leaves her homegirl, her boyfriend, her new 'advisor' and Ser Fuck-up like "later chumps, I'm out!" I hope she's not fleeing Mereen cuz her other two "children" are locked up down there.

Seriously though i hope she comes back and builds a saddle for him.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    I thought it was great. I looked away for a second when Jorah threw that spear and I thought at first he nailed Dany or the boyfriend! lol
    What was his deal though. I mean, Jorah is a stud knight who damn near got killed multiple times in that pit, and two episodes ago he beat down everyone skillfully without killing anyone. Do you think the Grayscale had anything to do with him being....very average while fighting?
    One other thing I thought was a little surprising, perhaps a little "off" was when Jon got back to the wall. Pretty sure the first damn thing I'd do is get everyone together and say "Um...we are in a world of shit!! Let me tell you what just went down!" Seemed like he got back and was like "no big deal".
    I thought the dragon scene was pretty cool, but thought when she got on to ride it, she'd just fly above and they'd roast those masked fuckers...or those remaining. Instead, she just flew off leaving everyone she knows and trusts behind to fend for themselves while still being outnumbered.

Can't wait to see what happens next!
  • Options
    mca47 said:

I thought it was great. I looked away for a second when Jorah threw that spear and I thought at first he nailed Dany or the boyfriend! lol
    What was his deal though. I mean, Jorah is a stud knight who damn near got killed multiple times in that pit, and two episodes ago he beat down everyone skillfully without killing anyone. Do you think the Grayscale had anything to do with him being....very average while fighting?
    One other thing I thought was a little surprising, perhaps a little "off" was when Jon got back to the wall. Pretty sure the first damn thing I'd do is get everyone together and say "Um...we are in a world of shit!! Let me tell you what just went down!" Seemed like he got back and was like "no big deal".
    I thought the dragon scene was pretty cool, but thought when she got on to ride it, she'd just fly above and they'd roast those masked fuckers...or those remaining. Instead, she just flew off leaving everyone she knows and trusts behind to fend for themselves while still being outnumbered.

Think it was also Jorah was fighting the best of the best, the other champions from different places.
  • Options

mca47 said:

Think it was also Jorah was fighting the best of the best, the other champions from different places.
    Ahhhh, you're right. Forgot about that.
  • Options
    Hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor, hodor hodor hodor, hodor hodor hodor.

Hodor?
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    Jason P said:

Hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor, hodor hodor hodor, hodor hodor hodor.

Hodor?

:lol:
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    Wowzer!
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    They went Season 1 on us again....no one is safe in GOT's...
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,354
    Shame....shame..what a fuckin scene ......

Awesome season
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    If only there was someone at Castle Black who was a practicing priestess for a religion known to resurrect people...

• Options
    JimmyV said:

If only there was someone at Castle Black who was a practicing priestess for a religion known to resurrect people...

• Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,278
    Cersei has nice Yambos

someone had to say it :)

its funny that both Cersei and Dany have played Sarah Connor
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    JimmyV said:

Minor spoiler alert (I think I've posted this before) - I read the books, I love the books. Love the series although this season has been a little more uneven for me.

One thing I got tired of in the books is the device G. Martin uses over and over again - she's DEAD or he's DEAD. And then they're not. If you've read the books, you'll know what I'm talking about. So by the time I read about the death of a certain character (who died on the show last night), I was like, "Yeah, he's so not dead."

I'm still waiting for Lady Stoneheart, btw.