Options

A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,685
    Enkidu said:

JimmyV said:

If only there was someone at Castle Black who was a practicing priestess for a religion known to resurrect people...

Minor spoiler alert (I think I've posted this before) - I read the books, I love the books. Love the series although this season has been a little more uneven for me.

One thing I got tired of in the books is the device G. Martin uses over and over again - she's DEAD or he's DEAD. And then they're not. If you've read the books, you'll know what I'm talking about. So by the time I read about the death of a certain character (who died on the show last night), I was like, "Yeah, he's so not dead."

I'm still waiting for Lady Stoneheart, btw.
    Agree and I read a number of references to Lady Stoneheart as well online -- hopefully they are both back!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,685
    pjradio said:

Funny how the scenes and our reactions can be so contextual. My wife and I were both laughing at that scene in appreciation for the cold dish of revenge Arya got to serve. When they showed that same thing for Cat Stark we were both horrified.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,258

JimmyV said:

If only there was someone at Castle Black who was a practicing priestess for a religion known to resurrect people...

hahahahahahaha!
  • Options
    Good episode. I really don't think it's the end of Jon Snow. He'll be back....i hope...
    But yeah, having Milesandra there certainly helps. I think she knew what was going to happen anyways so it was "convenient" for her to be there. I wonder if Jon wargged into Ghost as he was dying to be brought back later by some sweet resurrection magic.
    I read that Kit said he was told he was "dead" by Benioff and Weiss, but he seemed vague at what that meant. I also read he's contacted as an actor through next season at least.
    I thought, and still think Jon Snow is an end-game character. I can't see the story of the North being that exciting without some main protagonist. Ollie isn't going to carry a story. Milesandra seems to be important but nobody is going to care about her as she just "gets involved" rather than carrying a story.
    I still think Jon was the child of Raegar and Ned Stark's sister...which makes him the true king. Targaryen and Stark blood is going to be delicious to Milesandra! hahahaha
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited June 2015
    In the book wasn't lady Stoneheart brought back just a couple days after the wedding? They've changed stuff around a lot on the show. Do you think they may not bring them both back to avoid repeating the same gimmick?
    Post edited by WhatYouTaughtMe on
  • Options
    If Jon is dead...and I think that's still an "if"...what becomes of his sword?
    Seems like the only person who knew of it's power was Sam, who was shipped off.
  • Options
    I hope he is raised from the dead and hacks that awful red witches head off.
    Still pissed about the child bonfire.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    The Dorne storyline finished in predictable dumb fashion. Nothing obvious about that kiss from the lady with odd looking lipstick who is known to poison people, including a dude standing a few feet away.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    I think they will bring Jon Snow back to life somehow.

But I also thought they would bring Ned Stark back to life somehow as well.

My batting average isn't too good.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

I think they will bring Jon Snow back to life somehow.

But I also thought they would bring Ned Stark back to life somehow as well.

My batting average isn't too good.

Yeah, but Jon has a magic lady nearby who has dabbled in that kind of thing before.
    I wonder if she brings him back she will use that against him. "Well Jon, I did save your ass back there....now let's make some ghost babies!" haha
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    edited June 2015
    read that Cerseis "Atonement" walk was all CGI. Her head....body double
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    Unless I missed it, I still don't get the whole "traitor" thing. It seems that when Jon got back from the White Walker/zombie battle with the wildlings, he didn't say a damn thing about what happened to anyone other than Sam. There were a couple other Watchmen who were at that battle too that survived, no?
    I guess the first damn thing I'd do when I got back is call a meeting and tell them EXACTLY what happened and express how dire their situation was. It seems like Jon got back with the wildlings, people were pissed and then went to his room.
    Even if the other NIght's Watch are pissed at him, you'd think a good explaination of his decision would be good enough.
    "So, hey guys...we're fucked and there are these guys you don't really like, but they can fight....sooooo...."
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,278
    pjradio said:

Before the season started, Croatian church folk werent too happy with this scene.....so that makes some sense( she was suppose to walk out of a church in Dubrovnik where a good deal of Kings Landing and other places in Westeros are filmed)

I have alot of family in Croatia, my 17yr old cousin was an extra last season for Khalessi's Unsullied.

• Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    I just read this - not sure it's fair to blame the TV series because a lot of what happens in the show IS from the books. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/16/arts/television/in-game-of-thrones-finale-a-breakdown-in-storytelling.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

I am curious if G. Martin knows what the endgame is though. And I agree with a previous poster that Jon Snow will be around at the end.
  • Options
    Enkidu said:

I just read this - not sure it's fair to blame the TV series because a lot of what happens in the show IS from the books. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/16/arts/television/in-game-of-thrones-finale-a-breakdown-in-storytelling.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

I am curious if G. Martin knows what the endgame is though. And I agree with a previous poster that Jon Snow will be around at the end.

I think that was a shit piece but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
    I recall reading a piece that shared that the show-writers and GRRM are on the same page as to where the story ends and have been since their first discussion on working together.

I mentioned above how the context dictates how I take in a scene but I cannot feel sorry for Cersei's character and oh boo-hoo, she had to walk naked while people threw shit on her and called her brother-fucker. In the same way that I laughed when her lapdog got his throat brutally cut by Arya I laughed at the idea of Cersei suffering. It is a show, it is not real - I would never laugh at anyone shamed like that & certainly not someone being murdered, but it is a TV show, a fantasy show....and her character is arguably the 3rd largest piece of worthless garbage in the series. (Ramsay and Littlefinger have her beaten I would say...) Hoping they get much, much worse in make-believe-land and that we get to watch them be humiliated as well.
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996

Enkidu said:

I recall reading a piece that shared that the show-writers and GRRM are on the same page as to where the story ends and have been since their first discussion on working together.

I mentioned above how the context dictates how I take in a scene but I cannot feel sorry for Cersei's character and oh boo-hoo, she had to walk naked while people threw shit on her and called her brother-fucker. In the same way that I laughed when her lapdog got his throat brutally cut by Arya I laughed at the idea of Cersei suffering. It is a show, it is not real - I would never laugh at anyone shamed like that & certainly not someone being murdered, but it is a TV show, a fantasy show....and her character is arguably the 3rd largest piece of worthless garbage in the series. (Ramsay and Littlefinger have her beaten I would say...) Hoping they get much, much worse in make-believe-land and that we get to watch them be humiliated as well.
    I'm female and I loved the books - yeah, there's a lot of violence, but it didn't bother me (like you said, duh, it's fantasy). I didn't think the books were especially rape-y. If anything, I would say the books have amazing kickass women. NOT victims. Probably why I didn't like the Sansa rape because it didn't feel true to the books.

I thought Cersei's walk of shame was awesome, I loved it. She deserves worse, she's loathsome (but fun to root against).

HBO is the land of tits. That ridiculous scene (was it season one?) with Littlefinger and the naked women screwing behind him? The scene my husband wanted to see again. And again. It was like, "Hey, we're HBO, we can do this." And that's fine. I would vote for more naked men though.
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    Is it just me, or was that resurrected Mountain waaay taller than he used to be?
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    pjradio said:

Is it just me, or was that resurrected Mountain waaay taller than he used to be?

Didn't notice that. Dude was a monster before he became a monster! haha
  • Options
    Enkidu said:

Enkidu said:

I'm female and I loved the books - yeah, there's a lot of violence, but it didn't bother me (like you said, duh, it's fantasy). I didn't think the books were especially rape-y. If anything, I would say the books have amazing kickass women. NOT victims. Probably why I didn't like the Sansa rape because it didn't feel true to the books.

I thought Cersei's walk of shame was awesome, I loved it. She deserves worse, she's loathsome (but fun to root against).

HBO is the land of tits. That ridiculous scene (was it season one?) with Littlefinger and the naked women screwing behind him? The scene my husband wanted to see again. And again. It was like, "Hey, we're HBO, we can do this." And that's fine. I would vote for more naked men though.
    Yeah I have had these same discussions with my wife...she was upset in the start at the way the portrayed women and once she got into the way that Martin frequently gives women such great roles as main players she got much more into the series. (She was devastated by the episode last night, I felt badly for her. We stayed up for a while talking about the possible scenarios and she felt better after. :rofl: -- grief counseling for a show.)

I love the nudity from a strictly guy perspective and can understand women wanting to balance things out. (Please dont! lol)
    I dont like rape, I dont like watching rape scenes. That said, if it bothered me too much I would not watch the series. If it were realistic I wouldnt watch it but it is fantasy.

Tangent -- my favorite movie NOT called Reservoir Dogs in college was this French (or Belgian maybe?) flick called 'Man Bites Dog'. LOVED it, watched it 20 times. A mockumentary about a serial killer that poked fun at so many things that tickled me at that age. Then I watched the uncut version and there was a brutal rape scene and they showed the actors participating in acting out what was previously implied in the normal release. Totally creeped me out. Never watched the move again.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,326
    pjradio said:

Lena Headey was visibly pregnant when this was filmed so they needed to use a body double for it. I think this would have been a hard scene for any actress to do, it was pretty intense.

As for the end scene... after our initial "what the fk did we just see?" reaction, my wife and I both think (hope) we haven't seen the last of him. It can't be a coincidence that Melisandre abandoned Stannis and turned up just in time can it?
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Any chance there's a new book before the next season starts?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Not from what we are seeing out of GRRM. If you read his blog the dude is always doing something, a pretty damn busy guy.
    Wish it was already done!
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364

Not from what we are seeing out of GRRM. If you read his blog the dude is always doing something, a pretty damn busy guy.
    Wish it was already done!

Thanks
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,559
    what's up, nerds?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    imalive said:

what's up, nerds?

nm u?
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    you up...
  • Options
    This is not a thread to check if people are awake. FML. :minus_one:
    Hi Wob! You know, Wob, it is never too late to join the dark side of Nerd-dom and embrace the awesomeness that is the world of Westeros...the many gods the people there worship, the zombies, the dragons, the over the top nudity...it truly is a great series! Join us, O Grouchy One, join us!
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    JWPearl said:

you up...

Yep, usually in the morning I'm up
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    Not cool Empty!