A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,279
    There is a good article on IGN.com (sorry I can't provide the link, company computer doesn't allow me to go to IGN). It's a post-season talk with the writers. Essentially they explain how tough it's going to be going forward with this show due to budgets, the number of characters coming in the next couple of books, the kids aging, catching up to the books, the current actors contracts expiring, them moving on to other stuff, etc.
    Check it out. Pretty much everything I thought of back in season 1.

One of the interesting things is how IF they catch up to the books, how they might do a real "pre-qual" show in order to give Martin time to finish. I would hate to wait, but if they did a prequal, it would be cool to see Robert's rebellion or something. Too bad Ned Stark would have to be re-casted though as Sean Bean is getting old and really couldn't pose as a 25 year old! :? :D
    DewieCox wrote:

Every time Hodor pops up I start Hodoring. I only wish I had a kickass well.

Yeah, you pretty much have to! :lol::lol:
    HODOOOOOOOOOR! :lol::lol:
  • mca47 wrote:
    There is a good article on IGN.com (sorry I can't provide the link, company computer doesn't allow me to go to IGN). It's a post-season talk with the writers. Essentially they explain how tough it's going to be going forward with this show due to budgets, the number of characters coming in the next couple of books, the kids aging, catching up to the books, the current actors contracts expiring, them moving on to other stuff, etc.

One of the interesting things is how IF they catch up to the books, how they might do a real "pre-qual" show in order to give Martin time to finish. I would hate to wait, but if they did a prequal, it would be cool to see Robert's rebellion or something. Too bad Ned Stark would have to be re-casted though as Sean Bean is getting old and really couldn't pose as a 25 year old! :? :D

I like your idea of a prequel better than what I believe I read/saw when the subject was raised with GRRM and the writers....which was they would do the series even if the books werent out yet. Which I cannot fathom. Please in the name of all that is hodor, please do not do this!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I think the prequels they are talking about woudl be the Dunk and Egg tales. Which would be cool.

I was surprised they put Grey Wind's head on Rob. I was worried they woudl not do that. I wish we got a better look at it though. i wanted it to be as messed up as i imagined it when i read it.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,894
    mca47 wrote:

I like your idea of a prequel better than what I believe I read/saw when the subject was raised with GRRM and the writers....which was they would do the series even if the books werent out yet. Which I cannot fathom. Please in the name of all that is hodor, please do not do this!

It would also help if GRRM was not writing and editing for every other thing in the Sci-Fi/fantasy universe and concentrated on getting the series done.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • It would also help if GRRM was not writing and editing for every other thing in the Sci-Fi/fantasy universe and concentrated on getting the series done.

Yeah, I hear ya.
    But I dont begrudge the guy his time in the sun. Went a lot of years with marginal success despite what I consider to be great output. And now it is not just the dork-book-lovers that embrace him but also the mainstream.
    (One of my best friends told me last week that my dork heaven was going to fade out quickly but at least he has a glimpse into why I love these books so much. One year I read all of David Gemmell's works and that friend called me Gemmell or Dork for the next year. :lol: )
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    I don't recall hearing but did we find out if Edmure got axed? I heard The Blackfish escaped.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I don't recall hearing but did we find out if Edmure got axed? I heard The Blackfish escaped.
    I think he's being held in a dungeon/jail or something....right? :?
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    mca47 wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I think he's being held in a dungeon/jail or something....right? :?
    Yes.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    Loved it when Arya killed that guy. First time you killed a man? First time. As if there will be more to come. Awesome.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    DewieCox wrote:
    Pretty good closer but that end scene with Dany was fucking awful.

I haven't read the books, and when they lifted her up on their shoulders (pre-crowd surfing) I was dead-ass waiting for an arrow to hit her right in the chest. Like from the city walls or something.
    intodeep wrote:
    I was surprised they put Grey Wind's head on Rob. I was worried they woudl not do that. I wish we got a better look at it though. i wanted it to be as messed up as i imagined it when i read it.

I seriously, seriously can't deal with the wolf abuse. Mutilation of humans - no problem. Chop off a guy's dick and ship it to his father who doesn't give a fuck - sure, why not. Chop off a swordsman hand - irony! Wolf's head on a pike - NOT OKAY!!!!! (wolf's human's body under said pike, no problem)
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    duska3419 wrote:
    I haven't read the books, and when they lifted her up on their shoulders (pre-crowd surfing) I was dead-ass waiting for an arrow to hit her right in the chest. Like from the city walls or something.

Me too.

I also loved the scene with the Kings counsel. Killed a few puppies today? :lol:

curious why Tywin keeps making Tyrian stick around for one on ones. My feeling is he knows Tyrian is the smartest of his children. Their relationship is very intriguing. Tywin can see the potential in Tyrian but despises him at the same time for his past actions and for killing his wife. Curious to see how that goes.

Hooooodoooooooor :lol:
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
    duska3419 wrote:

Me too.

I also loved the scene with the Kings counsel. Killed a few puppies today? :lol:

curious why Tywin keeps making Tyrian stick around for one on ones. My feeling is he knows Tyrian is the smartest of his children. Their relationship is very intriguing. Tywin can see the potential in Tyrian but despises him at the same time for his past actions and for killing his wife. Curious to see how that goes.

Hooooodoooooooor :lol:

I loved that scene with Tywin telling Tyrian he wanted to throw him out to sea when he was born. Ouch.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    Loved it when Arya killed that guy. First time you killed a man? First time. As if there will be more to come. Awesome.

"First time you've killed a man?"

"Yes...first time I've killed a man"

refresh my memory...did she kill a woman earlier?
    aqo2t.jpg
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    No... but in the books she killed the guards at Harrenhal if my memory serves right.
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018

Didnt she kill that kid in season one? Maybe my memory is off but before she gets out of King's Landing i thought the kid that threatened her got poked with the pointy end.

Didnt she kill that kid in season one? Maybe my memory is off but before she gets out of King's Landing i thought the kid that threatened her got poked with the pointy end.

In the books she kills her first person leaving Kings Landing the stable boy she is tryign to escape and he finds her so in order to get away she kills him. In Season 2 in the books when they escape harrenhal she kills someoen in order to escape.

This one seemed to take the place of her kill from storm of swords when the hound and arya meet up with the Tickler and Polliver. The tickler was the person at Harrenhal that would torture people asking them where is the brotherhood, where is the gold etc etc. The tickler has already died in the show so i guess they wanted to get this scene in somehow. Arya goes crazy kind of like she does here as she sneaks up behind him stabs him in the neck and starts screaming the same questiosn over and over at him where is the brotherhood where is the gold.

So it was her fist tv show kill, but in the books she has killed three people to this point.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    intodeep wrote:

In the books she kills her first person leaving Kings Landing the stable boy she is tryign to escape and he finds her so in order to get away she kills him. In Season 2 in the books when they escape harrenhal she kills someoen in order to escape.

This one seemed to take the place of her kill from storm of swords when the hound and arya meet up with the Tickler and Polliver. The tickler was the person at Harrenhal that would torture people asking them where is the brotherhood, where is the gold etc etc. The tickler has already died in the show so i guess they wanted to get this scene in somehow. Arya goes crazy kind of like she does here as she sneaks up behind him stabs him in the neck and starts screaming the same questiosn over and over at him where is the brotherhood where is the gold.

So it was her fist tv show kill, but in the books she has killed three people to this point.

No, in season 1 she killed a stable boy with "needle" while escaping King's Landing right before her Father was beheaded.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    JK_Livin wrote:
    No, in season 1 she killed a stable boy with "needle" while escaping King's Landing right before her Father was beheaded.

wow, thats right i forgot! did she say to the hound "the first man" because the first person she really killed was a boy? how could i forget that..

by the way just started the books finally a few nights ago... already 300 pages in AGOT... it is so incredible the amount of detail you get in the books im psyched to zip through these.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • shepshep Posts: 5,759
    Watched the finale (and cancelled my free, 3 month HBO preview) last night.... :D

I'm glad they wrote in the part about sewing the wolf's head onto rob's body...

Also like the inclusion of the story by Bran about what happened to the cook at the nightfort when he killed one of his guests... I hope Walder Frey gets what's coming to him in the end... :D

The best scene of the episode was the small council meeting.... and I liked the exchange between Varys and Shea....

Damn why do we have to wait a year for the coming of Dorne??!!??
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Oh yeah she did kill him in Kings Landing. For some reasone i thought she did not.

hopefully we'll see her kill many more who deserve it
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    JK_Livin wrote:
    by the way just started the books finally a few nights ago... already 300 pages in AGOT... it is so incredible the amount of detail you get in the books im psyched to zip through these.
    That is great. What i love about the books are typicaly the stories in the story. You get to learn a lot more about Robert's Rebellion, Rhagar, The mystery knight at the harrenthal tourny, and many other things that slowly start to seep their way into the main story.

hope you enjoy it
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    tumblr_mo5paoz9op1qkwee2o2_500.gif

66319.jpg
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    :lol:

66319.jpg
  • shepshep Posts: 5,759

66319.jpg

:lol:

I don't remember that happening in the books all the same... is that my mind repressing the image, or did they invent it for the TV show?
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • intodeep wrote:
    I think the prequels they are talking about woudl be the Dunk and Egg tales. Which would be cool.

not having read the books, I didn't know until your post exactly what that was. FUGH!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • the way they are pushing Dany as basically a god/hero to thousands, they are setting her up for martyrdom. hopefully much later, and after many more bath scenes. :lol:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • YardenYarden Posts: 820
    Tyrion's scenes were great.
    Dany's scene was a little disappointing, especially being the final scene of the season.
    But the worst was Yigritte showing up out of nowhere alone to shoot Jon. At first i though it was a dream to show Jon's guilt over leaving her. Why didn't they do it like it was in the book, with her shooting him as he got away after they killed the old man?!
    I was really looking forward to the jon storyline but they didn't do it justice this season.
    That being said, can't wait for next season.
    Yarden wrote:
    Tyrion's scenes were great.
    Dany's scene was a little disappointing, especially being the final scene of the season.
    But the worst was Yigritte showing up out of nowhere alone to shoot Jon. At first i though it was a dream to show Jon's guilt over leaving her. Why didn't they do it like it was in the book, with her shooting him as he got away after they killed the old man?!
    I was really looking forward to the jon storyline but they didn't do it justice this season.
    That being said, can't wait for next season.
    I didn't read the book, but the book's version at least sounds more believable...referring to Yigrette shooting Jon.
    So she's never been south of the wall before (right?) and somehow she was able to track him (minus snow...which she's accustom to). She probably knew he'd ride to Castle Black, but how would she know where that is?
    She then put three arrows in him and then let him ride away? Is that her version of a slap on the hand?
    The whole scene seemed strange/unbelievable to me.
  • YardenYarden Posts: 820
    edited June 2013
    mca47 wrote:
    I didn't read the book, but the book's version at least sounds more believable...referring to Yigrette shooting Jon.
    So she's never been south of the wall before (right?) and somehow she was able to track him (minus snow...which she's accustom to). She probably knew he'd ride to Castle Black, but how would she know where that is?
    She then put three arrows in him and then let him ride away? Is that her version of a slap on the hand?
    The whole scene seemed strange/unbelievable to me.
    yeah, and Jon's monologue was a little cheesy as well..
    the first season was near perfect.. the last couple have some scenes that could have been way better..
    Post edited by Yarden on