A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

Comments

• JK_Livin wrote:
    I haven't used the appendix yet while reading the books. Maybe I should take a look.

I'm in need of your thoughts. I'm at page 600 of book 2. I've watched all the seasons including the 2 new episodes. Should I stop reading book 2 and start book 3 while I'm currently watching the new shows? I just seems like reading things that have already happened is somewhat confusing me a little. Unfortunately I'm only getting in about 100-150 pages per week. So it's looking like 3-4 weeks until I'll be done book 2.
    Please share your thoughts.

My two cents would be to finish the books in order. Once you get to the end of Book 3 you can watch the series On Demand and catch up. I think that the books are the grand version of the story and the series is the next best thing.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I third the read the books. Thankfully the show runners do a lot of things exactly like they are done in the books, but their is a lot of depth to the stories tehy are not able to touch which to me make the books so much better.

The battle of blackwater was even more epic in the book than on tv and showed Tyrion's true genious. It was really his plan that saved them.
    Plus you get all the backstory about the early parts of the rebellion, items in the books like Ned's fever dream of what happened at the Tower of Joy. I won't go into details but I think these add a lot to the experience.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Thanks for the input. I'll just have to ignore my kids a little more to catch up quicker. ;)
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • shepshep Posts: 5,759
    intodeep wrote:
    I third the read the books. Thankfully the show runners do a lot of things exactly like they are done in the books, but their is a lot of depth to the stories tehy are not able to touch which to me make the books so much better.

The battle of blackwater was even more epic in the book than on tv and showed Tyrion's true genious. It was really his plan that saved them.
    Plus you get all the backstory about the early parts of the rebellion, items in the books like Ned's fever dream of what happened at the Tower of Joy. I won't go into details but I think these add a lot to the experience.

I fourth this.

I would really stress that you should get through the third book before you watch the rest of season 3.

The third book is just so ridiculously awesome that I know for fact (without seeing the rest of this season) that there is no way the TV show can be as good.
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    Someone correct me if im wrong and i dont think this is spoiler-ish, for all the people asking about the brotherhood. Weren't they sorta a army or a 'brotherhood' that fought against any army that ravaged peoples homes and farms, they have no loyalty, to any throne or crown, except to themselves and the people.

Later some cool stuff happens which would be spoiler filled, but i think what i said is a fair statement to give something so people sorta know who they are without ruining the story.
    Someone correct me if im wrong and i dont think this is spoiler-ish, for all the people asking about the brotherhood. Weren't they sorta a army or a 'brotherhood' that fought against any army that ravaged peoples homes and farms, they have no loyalty, to any throne or crown, except to themselves and the people.

Later some cool stuff happens which would be spoiler filled, but i think what i said is a fair statement to give something so people sorta know who they are without ruining the story.

Sounds right. That's what the Tickler was asking people about while he was torturing them at Harrenhall. He kept asking them for the location of the Brotherhood.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    yeah the brotherhood were the warriors left over from the group that Ned Stark sent out in season one to engage the Mountain when he was burning the coutnry side. While they were out Robert their king was killed so they dedicated themselves to helping the people. They always reminded me of a "robin hood" kind of company.
    If i did not want george to finish the books so damn much i would wish he would write a story about their adventures i think it would be great.

That Igor youtube video above is pretty awesome!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • My in-laws are over Sunday night....and spending the night. Dammit!
    I think I am going to have to wait until they go to bed and watch it.
    Would be totally rude but not out of the question yet that I leave their company and go to my den and watch in the surround sound setup that I typically use for sports. There is 0 chance that they will like it so I cant put it on in the living room and then tell them to shut up every 5 minutes while they talk over it.
    :nono:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I just finished book 2 and watched season 2 ... I recommend finishing the book. The TV series kind of goes off the reservation with some of the plot lines when compared to the book.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    My in-laws are over Sunday night....and spending the night. Dammit!
    I think I am going to have to wait until they go to bed and watch it.
    Would be totally rude but not out of the question yet that I leave their company and go to my den and watch in the surround sound setup that I typically use for sports. There is 0 chance that they will like it so I cant put it on in the living room and then tell them to shut up every 5 minutes while they talk over it.
    :nono:
    Damn in-laws :(

Stoked for tonight's ep!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Yeah...maybe I'll figure out all the shit thats going on in tonights episode! ;)
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    That was a humorous episode. The scene with the chairs in T. Lannisters room was something out of a Mel Brooks movie.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Is it just me or are they moving Theon's story too fast?
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Did I miss some dialogue in this or an earlier episode, but was it explained how/why Littlefinger was going to marry Catelyn's sister?
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I can't wait to watch now - we'd watch during dinner, but we're not crazy about my daughter seeing it. She always manages to catch boobage or severed limbs.
  • That was a humorous episode. The scene with the chairs in T. Lannisters room was something out of a Mel Brooks movie.

that was awesome.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    This was a good one. Nice ending - my husband (who hasn't read the books) was properly shocked.
    edited April 2013
    Yea, that episode had a bit of boobage. The scene with POD was pure lannister gold! I loved that. I'm a big POD fanboy.
    The chair scene was hilarious.

Saying goodbye to Hot Pie :(

As for Littlefinger and Lysa Tully i don't think they have gone too far into it but Littlefinger was always close to Lysa and stayed in touch with her. He grew up close to Lysa and Cat.

the theon story line is not so much as being moved up as it is we are seeing parts that we did not in the book. In the book we learn about his situation through him thinking back we are seeing more of it now as it is happening instead of him disapearing and not being in the season.

They are really dragging this Dany shit out! Love the tension between Barriston and Mormont.

oh and THE BLACKFISH! YES he is just how i wanted him to be that scene with Edmure was awesome

My roomate is lost and i think he is giving up on it. Which is okay because i get tired of explaining it to him :twisted:
    Post edited by intodeep on
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,548
    that was a good one..and wow how episode ended!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    intodeep wrote:
    As for Littlefinger and Lysa Tully i don't think they have gone too far into it but Littlefinger was always close to Lysa and stayed in touch with her. He grew up close to Lysa and Cat.

I may need to rewatch that scene, but has Lysa already agreed to marry him or does Tywin want him to go try to marry her so the Eyrie can be on the Lannister's side?
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
    Who is the guy or group that has Brienne and Jaime?
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,894
    Better Dan wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

I may need to rewatch that scene, but has Lysa already agreed to marry him or does Tywin want him to go try to marry her so the Eyrie can be on the Lannister's side?

Tywinn wants the Eyrie on his side.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,894
    JK_Livin wrote:

They are Roose Boltons men.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    JK_Livin wrote:

ok. I can't believe they are making the manager from Almost Famous a badass.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:

They are the Brotherhood..correct? The same group that has taken in Arya?
    Or am I confused?
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    JK_Livin wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

ok. I can't believe they are making the manager from Almost Famous a badass.

Lol, thats where I have seen him. :lol: Couldn't place it.

I haven't read the books so my jaw hit the freaking floor when they cut off his hand. I was rather confused when they were talking about who was going to marry who. Is that woman they were talking about the lady that breast fed the 10 year old boy, Cats sister? I always have to watch each episode twice. Its hard to keep all the characters and name associations straight.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
    edited April 2013
    JK_Livin wrote:

Or am I confused?
    That's a good question. I thought they were different groups.
    Post edited by JK_Livin on
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    This is how this show makes me feel sometimes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeZ9HhHU86o
    JK_Livin wrote:
    [
    Or am I confused?
    That's a good question. I thought they were different.
    No, Those are Roose Bolton's men who are loyal to Rob. The guy who does the chopping is named Locke (don't know his last name)

The brotherhood are the Brotherhood without Banners. Those are they guys Arya is with that captured the Hound and are keeping arya. Thoros is their leader. He is the guy that disarmed arya at the tavern. He was Robert's drinking buddy. They are the forces that Ned Start sent out in season one to capture the Mountain when he started burnign the country side. They were loyal to Robert. Once all hell broke loose they really didn't join the starks or the lannesters instead formed almost their own militia trying to help the citizens in the area. In that sense they are anti lannister because they would help stop the Mountain from raping, raiding, and burning villages. Thus the lannisters want to know where the Brotherhood is hiding so they can stop them and their gurilla tactics.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22