A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

Comments

• shep wrote:

Man, how can you guys read that stuff?

I hate watching trailers/reading previews.... for me it always spoils part of the story/movie, especially when I know that I want to read it anyway....

I always think back to all the previews I saw for Mr. Deeds... they completely ruined the funniest bits of the movie for me... since then, I always hold out until I've got a complete, finished piece of work in front of me before consuming it...

guess I'm weird...

I've been avoiding the sample chapters too, I don't want to have a clue what is going to happen. Just want to read the whole book when it's ready.

In 2016 ;)
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • shep wrote:

I hate watching trailers/reading previews.... for me it always spoils part of the story/movie, especially when I know that I want to read it anyway....

I always think back to all the previews I saw for Mr. Deeds... they completely ruined the funniest bits of the movie for me... since then, I always hold out until I've got a complete, finished piece of work in front of me before consuming it...

guess I'm weird...

Not weird at all, I know many feel that way. Me, I like to get a taste if I can. I re-read the books every time a new one comes out now anyway so there is no way I will remember that piece with all of the other story stuff jammed into my head. I have to re-read as I get everything all confused and it makes it less fun to read the new ones if I cannot recall every bit and piece they reference. (Just too many damn books being read and too long between the books.) Plus, they are amazing books and it is cool to get back into those worlds.
    Pretty funny about Mr Deeds. Thought I was the only one that found that movie funny. :lol:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • shepshep Posts: 5,759
    shep wrote:

guess I'm weird...

Not weird at all, I know many feel that way. Me, I like to get a taste if I can. I re-read the books every time a new one comes out now anyway so there is no way I will remember that piece with all of the other story stuff jammed into my head. I have to re-read as I get everything all confused and it makes it less fun to read the new ones if I cannot recall every bit and piece they reference. (Just too many damn books being read and too long between the books.) Plus, they are amazing books and it is cool to get back into those worlds.
    Pretty funny about Mr Deeds. Thought I was the only one that found that movie funny. :lol:

Man, I loved that movie... it was great.... I just remember being in the movie theater and watching that scene with the fire poker and his frostbitten foot and not laughing/enjoying it at all as I had seen the bit about 40 times in the commercials...

After that I stopped watching previews. At most I will watch one once, decide if I want to see the movie based on that, then try to prevent seeing any further info on the movie before I actually get to watch it.

I'm a weird dude I guess... :lol:

I've been avoiding the sample chapters too, I don't want to have a clue what is going to happen. Just want to read the whole book when it's ready.

In 2016 ;)

If it takes until 2016, I'm going to have to re-read all the books... :fp: ...

I read all everything to date in 2012 back to back.... great continuous read for sure...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • shep wrote:

In 2016 ;)

If it takes until 2016, I'm going to have to re-read all the books... :fp: ...

I read all everything to date in 2012 back to back.... great continuous read for sure...

:lol: , I think WOW will be out late next year or early 2015. I have a feeling HBO wants him to get moving so they don't have the show catch up to the books.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I don't read the sample chapters either, but i did find one thing interesting.

Before Dance came out one of the sample chapters was a jon chapter. It is the one were he has that guy (i know his name but since this is the show thread i won't say it ... it is kind of spoilerish) head chopped off.

In the spoiler chapter that came out he tells someone to chop his head off, but when the book came out i absolutly squeeeeeeeed when he tells them to wait and he gets his sword and he does it the old way like his Ned would have.

It was interesting GRRM went back and changed it and i love that he did.

so for me i might want to read the sample chapters after i read the book to see any changes like that .
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • shepshep Posts: 5,759
    intodeep wrote:
    I don't read the sample chapters either, but i did find one thing interesting.

Before Dance came out one of the sample chapters was a jon chapter. It is the one were he has that guy (i know his name but since this is the show thread i won't say it ... it is kind of spoilerish) head chopped off.

In the spoiler chapter that came out he tells someone to chop his head off, but when the book came out i absolutly squeeeeeeeed when he tells them to wait and he gets his sword and he does it the old way like his Ned would have.

It was interesting GRRM went back and changed it and i love that he did.

so for me i might want to read the sample chapters after i read the book to see any changes like that .

Interesting thought.... that I could get behind I guess.
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Season 2 blu-ray is $29.99 on Amazon today for pre-order
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Season 2 blu-ray is $29.99 on Amazon today for pre-order

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2

The producers must be frustrated that HBO keeps it up on ONDEMAND for free - I have watched every episode at least 2x on there (after watching on Sunday nights of course) and some of them 3x. Not sure how HBO makes money on this - not like some of the network channels that no longer allow for FF through commercials when viewing shows ONDEMAND....they clearly can charge the advertisers.

When they finish the run (hopefully they go the distance with GRRM but they have canceled popular series before due to costly filming) I will buy on Blue Ray or whatever the latest format is for sure.
    Season 2 blu-ray is $29.99 on Amazon today for pre-order
    Oh i will buy it for that price!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22

No shit, I think i'll pick that up. They're usually pretty pricey. Good deal thanks!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer

No shit, I think i'll pick that up. They're usually pretty pricey. Good deal thanks!

Gotta catch up to all you seaason 3ers.. Im trying not to read too much here to avoid spoilers. But I ordered season 2 dvd from best buy (realized I had a gift card) for 29.99. Should be here any day!

Let the heads roll! :corn:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Season 3 Trailer debut tonight on Kimmel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw6a28ael1o
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • The love he receives is the love that is saved

• It's going to hit the fan in season 3. And 4.
  • got season 2 in the mail today!!! think im gonna fire up the bluray player!!
    got season 2 in the mail today!!! think im gonna fire up the bluray player!!
    These must look stunning on the blu ray with 1080 TV
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378

And a good sound system...

I'll make the popcorn.

Sadly my bluray is my ps3, and i have an old old flat screen so i dont get to experience bluray at its finest. It looks just like a dvd to me. i dont watch enough tv to make it worth getting HD. sunday football, Walking Dead, AGOT season when they release, and the occasional movie.

i know im way behind everyone but i finished the first 4 episodes and this season is pretty awesome so far. Not enough Arya though!!

Sadly my bluray is my ps3, and i have an old old flat screen so i dont get to experience bluray at its finest. It looks just like a dvd to me. i dont watch enough tv to make it worth getting HD. sunday football, Walking Dead, AGOT season when they release, and the occasional movie.

i know im way behind everyone but i finished the first 4 episodes and this season is pretty awesome so far. Not enough Arya though!!

The ps3 bluray is actually a very good one

The ps3 bluray is actually a very good one
    Yep, one of the best you can buy.

TV's are cheap enough these days, you should look into one. Would be worth it for your Sunday football alone, plus the WD and the upcoming season of GoT. You'll never look back.
  • The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378

How "immersive" is it? I would like to keep my head.

• How "immersive" is it? I would like to keep my head.

:lol:
    If it has an interactive Blackwater experience I would not want to have Ser Mandon Moore assigned to guard me, as Tyrion did. Saw what that got him....

F-ing DRAGONS!
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • finished season 2, now another long year until i can watch season 3...

the whole show is good, but i wouldnt mind more arya. my favorite character from the books, and every scene seems too short with her in it. little disappointed with the lack of "you know nothing jon snow' from ygritte.

How "immersive" is it? I would like to keep my head.

:lol:
    If it has an interactive Blackwater experience I would not want to have Ser Mandon Moore assigned to guard me, as Tyrion did. Saw what that got him....
    Too true about Ser Mandon!

No where near atlanta. Guess i'll just have to go the renaissance fair :(
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22