A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Just posted on fb:

http://youtu.be/RN7e_Oo0Bis

:mrgreen:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • YardenYarden Posts: 820
    First Photos from "Game of Thrones" Season 3:

http://www.imdb.com/media/index/rg353147392
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    BLACKFISH!
    THE REEEDS!!

they do exist in the tv world :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    I tried to read the books.

I got halfway through the 3rd book and gave up. The story is just too big and there are too many non-essential characters. It intrigued me at first, but became wearisome later and basically got on my nerves.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • shepshep Posts: 5,759
    know1 wrote:

I got halfway through the 3rd book and gave up. The story is just too big and there are too many non-essential characters. It intrigued me at first, but became wearisome later and basically got on my nerves.

really? you stopped at book 3?

wow...

there's one in every bunch I guess...

looking forward to the start of season 3 in TV land...

In other news, I've started reading The Wheel of Time series.... Anyone else read these? I assume they're must be others in here who've read them, given the fantasy genre and the fact that the Wheel series is supposed to be quite epic... no?
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    I read the first book in the Wheel of Time series years ago and i enjoyed it. I did not go further because i just did not want to get wrapped up in a series that is literally 15+ books long.

I've also heard that some of the middle books are a little lacking. That said i know some folks who love this series.

It is very popular and has a lot of fans. Plus Brandon Sanderson finishes the series and everything i've seen of him has been very good.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    intodeep wrote:
    Plus Brandon Sanderson finishes the series and everything i've seen of him has been very good.

one could only dream of the time that happens with this series ...
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    shep wrote:
    know1 wrote:

really? you stopped at book 3?

wow...

there's one in every bunch I guess...

looking forward to the start of season 3 in TV land...

In other news, I've started reading The Wheel of Time series.... Anyone else read these? I assume they're must be others in here who've read them, given the fantasy genre and the fact that the Wheel series is supposed to be quite epic... no?

I've talked to others who agree with this. I read a TON of books. I'm constantly reading as many as 3 books at a time. I just think too much of the story is fluff and the writer just writing for the sake of writing. Maybe I'll re-visit later, but it's not like I didn't give it a chance. The middle of the third book is like 2500 pages I'd already read.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
    know1 wrote:

I'm gonna go with shep on this one and :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock:

I get that yes, the books are long-winded and there are a daunting amount of characters and plots. But I beg you just to stick to the end of the book...it's without a doubt the most memorable and incredible book I've ever read!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • shep wrote:

Wheel of Time was pretty good. Not nearly on part with Martin's stuff in my opinion but enjoyable. I read them from Book 1 until Jordan died and Sanderson took over. I purchased the Sanderson ones but have not read them yet. I need to do so but I know that I will need to go back and study up on the Rand storyline to understand where he picked it up.
    (I really like Sanderson's other stuff btw)

I am pretty excited for the resumption of the HBO series....watched a little of the HBO teaser stuff last night. Also, according to GRRM's site he is publishing Winds of Winter this year.
    If you missed it, he released an excerpt from the book for those who have read through 'Dances' - http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-sample.html
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Mamasan23 wrote:
    I beg you

Know1, better get to reading dude! :mrgreen:

I really want to read these, but I havent had the time lately, and now Im caught up in the dvds!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,894
    shep wrote:

Wheel of Time was pretty good. Not nearly on part with Martin's stuff in my opinion but enjoyable. I read them from Book 1 until Jordan died and Sanderson took over. I purchased the Sanderson ones but have not read them yet. I need to do so but I know that I will need to go back and study up on the Rand storyline to understand where he picked it up.

I am pretty excited for the resumption of the HBO series....watched a little of the HBO teaser stuff last night. Also, according to GRRM's site he is publishing Winds of Winter this year.
    If you missed it, he released an excerpt from the book for those who have read through 'Dances' - http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-sample.html

Where did you see WOW would be out this year? I think it is at least 1 or two years away at best. Maybe a little faster with HBO pushing him ;)
    The last I read, he only had a couple hundred pages done, and only half of that was edited and ready for print. All for a book that will probably be over 1000 pages.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh thank you thank you!!!
  • shep wrote:

Where did you see WOW would be out this year? I think it is at least 1 or two years away at best. Maybe a little faster with HBO pushing him ;)
    The last I read, he only had a couple hundred pages done, and only half of that was edited and ready for print. All for a book that will probably be over 1000 pages.

If you keep tabs on this (sounds like you do!) you know that he stopped way back with Crows as far as forecasting when he would be done.
    I actually took that bit from the web link that I posted....at the top of the page it said this:
    Excerpt from THE WINDS OF WINTER
    by George R. R. Martin.

To be published by Bantam Books; Copyright © 2013 by George R.R. Martin.

Probably wishful thinking by all parties....but I loved the sneak peak.
  • Mamasan23 wrote:

:D
    Yeah, I stopped everything and read when that was posted as well.
    shep wrote:

WOW stop the train, pull it right off the tracks....... I saw the excerpt form WoW, but i had not seen that it was going to be out this year
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • On re-reading I am going with pjsteelersfan.....I dont want to be the source for erroneous reports....GRRM will have The Kingslayer cut me down.
    I guess the copyright indicates 2013 and not that it is to be published in 2013. My bad, sorry!
    oh okay. No need to be sorry :) it happens

I think that is the date that portioned was copy righted (yeah totally not a word)

Not necesarily an indication WoW will be out this year.

You got me quite excited there for a second
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Yarden wrote:

Nice. Who is the 3rd person shown, Sansa?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Yarden wrote:

Yes.
    I am actually looking forward to her storyline. Storm of Swords is when i started feeling more sympathetic for her
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    intodeep wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Yarden wrote:

Yes.
    I am actually looking forward to her storyline. Storm of Swords is when i started feeling more sympathetic for her
    I've seen both seasons but i'm only halfway through book #1
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Are we going to see the dragons fly this season?
    Man, I love Khaleesi.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Are we going to see the dragons fly this season?
    Man, I love Khaleesi.

You may see a little of that, depending on how the producers go, but they do get more important as the story goes on. And will do some more bad ass stuff, especially when they get to interpret Book 5 into the show.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Are we going to see the dragons fly this season?
    Man, I love Khaleesi.

You may see a little of that, depending on how the producers go, but they do get more important as the story goes on. And will do some more bad ass stuff, especially when they get to interpret Book 5 into the show.
    Sweet
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    Man, I love Khaleesi.

Doesn't everyone? What a badass. Changing what they did in the show from the books has all been good for the Khaleesi as far as I am concerned.

roflbot.jpg
    Yarden wrote:

I just got goosebumps all over my body!!!! OMG!!!! I'm sooo stoked!!

Seriously is it March 31st yet?!!!
    Man, I love Khaleesi.

Doesn't everyone? What a badass. Changing what they did in the show from the books has all been good for the Khaleesi as far as I am concerned.

roflbot.jpg

:mrgreen:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Yarden wrote:

I just got goosebumps all over my body!!!! OMG!!!! I'm sooo stoked!!

Seriously is it March 31st yet?!!!
    Yeah that trailor with little finger talking is really cool.

Especially if you know what is coming there is some real foreshadowing in it.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • shepshep Posts: 5,759
    Mamasan23 wrote:

:D
    Yeah, I stopped everything and read when that was posted as well.

Man, how can you guys read that stuff?

I hate watching trailers/reading previews.... for me it always spoils part of the story/movie, especially when I know that I want to read it anyway....

I always think back to all the previews I saw for Mr. Deeds... they completely ruined the funniest bits of the movie for me... since then, I always hold out until I've got a complete, finished piece of work in front of me before consuming it...

guess I'm weird...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.