The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• Chief BroomChief Broom Posts: 2,036
    Just grabbed a 4-pk of Founder's "Devil Dancer". About to have one now.
    Anybody had it before? Thoughts?
    MLMF Det
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Posts: 4,012
    Just grabbed a 4-pk of Founder's "Devil Dancer". About to have one now.
    Anybody had it before? Thoughts?

Devil Dancer is great!!! For a Triple IPA at 12%, it is really nice. It is a big beer, but I was worried it would be over the top. I find it to be quite balanced, with not too much alcohol on the finish.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
    Have these at home that I might open today:

St. Stefanus Blonde
    Goose Island Bourbon County 2012
    Alaskan Baltic Porter 2012
    Southern Tier Oat
    B.Nektar Funky Monkey 2011
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,962
    Nice to see Ninkasi's Sleigh'R in the beer gym at the Missoula show. Only $5 when they could've charged more since they had us trapped in there. At one bar, I ordered 2 pints of Black Butte Porter for $7, and the guy next to me got 2 bottles of bud light for $6 :fp:
    shep wrote:
    So I realized today that with the storage of 5 bottles of 120, I have officially exceeded the capacity of my beer aging fridge (yes, the fridge is necessary, as they don't build cellars in houses here (due to bugs), and running the AC at 72 all day for 8 months of the year that it is 90 degrees + will cost you way too much money)... Actually going to lease a wine storage locker as of tomorrow for $30 a month to support my habit.... on the plus side of things it has about 3 x the capacity that I actually need.... :lol:

Isn't there some way to tweak an old fridge so it doesn't run as cold so you could use that instead of renting something? I've heard of people doing that.
    You can also buy replacement thermostats to have a more accurate temp reading.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • shep wrote:
    Picked up my first 2 bottles of Bitches Brew tonight... gonna try one the weekend and attempt to age the other - depending on if I like it or not I may go back the weekend and try and grab a third bottle (assuming they still have it of course...)

You my friend are in for a treat! Dogfishhead are well known for their adventurous beers and this 1 is a great example. If you like Stouts, Porters, or darker ales(pretty much all I drink), this combo of 3parts Imperial Stout/1 part Honey beer is going to be like nirvana on your taste buds. ;) Really, really good. The only negative is that its part of Dogfishheads Sony releases so you never know when or if it will be brewed again. Its part of the same series that Faithfull was released under although its a totally different beer so don't worry if you didn't like Faithfull. I was so siked to hear that they were brewing it again. I only wish I had more $ cause I would go buy a case in a hot second if I did. Turn on some Pj, get yourself a nice set of etched beer glass's (the 1 Dogfishhead sells are really nice), pour, and enjoy with somebody. 8-)
  • Go Beavers wrote:
    shep wrote:
    So I realized today that with the storage of 5 bottles of 120, I have officially exceeded the capacity of my beer aging fridge (yes, the fridge is necessary, as they don't build cellars in houses here (due to bugs), and running the AC at 72 all day for 8 months of the year that it is 90 degrees + will cost you way too much money)... Actually going to lease a wine storage locker as of tomorrow for $30 a month to support my habit.... on the plus side of things it has about 3 x the capacity that I actually need.... :lol:

Isn't there some way to tweak an old fridge so it doesn't run as cold so you could use that instead of renting something? I've heard of people doing that.

I'm sure you could but I'll tell you what has worked great for me. I found a counter-top Wine refrigerator at my local Good-Will for like $20.00. It holds 8 750Ml beers and has a digital/programable temperature along with a seperate blue LED light which is cool. I know they come in different sizes since I've seen 8 and 16 bottles ones. Eventually i'd like to get another so I can stash 1 in my basement. Its hard to cellar anything when you have an impatient girlfriend that also Loves craft beers. :lol:
  • PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    Monday, October 15th = NEW BATCH of Enjoy By IPA 11.09.12!!!!
    It was bottled/kegged on Friday the 5th!
    http://www.stonebrewing.com/enjoyby/
    Cannot wait. Stone Brewery is tapping 4 kegs of it, starting Monday @ 11am.
    This go round, Ohio and Colorado will be getting this deliciousness...
    I cannot wait for tomorrow!
    (cleaning growlers)
    :D
    PS - I have it on good authority that if you LIKED the last batch of Enjoy By, this one "blows it away"
    :o
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
  • shepshep Posts: 5,763
    Go Beavers wrote:
    shep wrote:

yea... i wanted to do that, and put one in the garage, but the girlfriend put the kibosh on that alternative. There's already 2 fridges and a deep freeze in the house, she said no way am I getting a 3rd....
    Go Beavers wrote:
    shep wrote:

I'm sure you could but I'll tell you what has worked great for me. I found a counter-top Wine refrigerator at my local Good-Will for like $20.00. It holds 8 750Ml beers and has a digital/programable temperature along with a seperate blue LED light which is cool. I know they come in different sizes since I've seen 8 and 16 bottles ones. Eventually i'd like to get another so I can stash 1 in my basement. Its hard to cellar anything when you have an impatient girlfriend that also Loves craft beers. :lol:

I actually already have a waist high wine fridge (holds about 50 bottles of wine) with very good temperature control... I keep it set at 55 as that's about middle of the road for everything in there (I have red and white wines, and beers of varying darkness, so I need to cover everything ;) ) I modified a couple of shelves to get beer in there (as beer is supposed to be stored upright, not on it's side like wine), but I've maxed out the space...

The wine storage locker I got actually works out quite nice... it's right next to work, and it actually keeps the beer out of sight, making it easier to age! :lol:
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    A couple of interesting beers I've had lately:

Boxer's Revenge - Jester King - very nice sour :thumbup:
    Saison du Buff - Dogfish/Stone/Victory Collaboration - :thumbdown:
    Octoberfest - Saint Arnolds - :eh:
    Theobrama - on tap and bottle - Dogfishead - :thumbup:
    Island Reserve Farmhouse Saison - Cisco Brewers - :thumbup:
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    shep wrote:
    Saison du Buff - Dogfish/Stone/Victory Collaboration - :thumbdown:

1000% agree - I had it fresh from the brewery and I almost couldn't get it down, shep.
    Worst part: a guy I was chatting brews with turned me on to it "you'll love this, different than all the saisons, etc..."
    Tasted like a garden strained thru Coors Light. If I'm not mistaking, I think there really is parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme in that stuff.
    YUCK

Theobrama, on the other hand, is quite scrumptious delumptious :D
  • Shep wrote
    I actually already have a waist high wine fridge (holds about 50 bottles of wine) with very good temperature control... I keep it set at 55 as that's about middle of the road for everything in there (I have red and white wines, and beers of varying darkness, so I need to cover everything ;) ) I modified a couple of shelves to get beer in there (as beer is supposed to be stored upright, not on it's side like wine), but I've maxed out the space...

The wine storage locker I got actually works out quite nice... it's right next to work, and it actually keeps the beer out of sight, making it easier to age! :lol:

Damn you have a 50 bottle fridge? Nice, how much did that set you back? Might have to consider 1. Yeah I've heard the debate about what is the best way to store beer and I've heard different theorys on it. Personally though I store my beer both ways and have never had any bad experiences or tasted a difference with either way so I don't really sweat it.
    Yesterday I scored a set of 4 etched Sam Adams and 2 etched New Castle glasses on the cheap at my local GoodWill. They'll go nicely with my other beer glasses.. :D
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,725
    A 2011 120 followed by some home brew along with the Yanks and no work tomorrow. Life is good.

Damn you have a 50 bottle fridge? Nice, how much did that set you back? Might have to consider 1. Yeah I've heard the debate about what is the best way to store beer and I've heard different theorys on it. Personally though I store my beer both ways and have never had any bad experiences or tasted a difference with either way so I don't really sweat it.
    Yesterday I scored a set of 4 etched Sam Adams and 2 etched New Castle glasses on the cheap at my local GoodWill. They'll go nicely with my other beer glasses.. :D

I believe the fridge ran me about $280, including the truck rental from Home Depot to bring it home :lol:

It was a Home Depot gift card well spent - they actually have some decent wine fridges there, nothing overly nice, but the one I bought does the trick.

To tell you the truth, in the past I've aged them upright and on their side and haven't noticed the difference except with bottle conditioned beers. I find storing those upright allows the yeast to flocculate out and drop to the bottom easier, and you wind up with a brighter, clearer product when you pour...

this doesn't really effect the taste, but it makes it look nice - like the brewer intended...
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    A 2011 120 followed by some home brew along with the Yanks and no work tomorrow. Life is good.

Get a real job! :P I mean who gets columbus day off anymore??!!?? :lol:

What kind of homebrew are you drinking right now?

I've got 4 bottles of my pale ale left... a brown ale currently bottle conditioning, and I just brewed my first IPA the weekend and it's in the primary fermenter now.... such a fun hobby... :D
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    Monday, October 15th = NEW BATCH of Enjoy By IPA 11.09.12!!!!
    It was bottled/kegged on Friday the 5th!
    http://www.stonebrewing.com/enjoyby/
    Cannot wait. Stone Brewery is tapping 4 kegs of it, starting Monday @ 11am.
    This go round, Ohio and Colorado will be getting this deliciousness...
    I cannot wait for tomorrow!
    (cleaning growlers)
    PS - I have it on good authority that if you LIKED the last batch of Enjoy By, this one "blows it away"
    :o

Went on a tour of Stone yesterday, incredible! What a setup.
    $3 = a 1 hr tour, a glass, 4 beers to taste (4oz) - incredible

The new Enjoy By is spectacular - it is hoppy and delish! Grab it fresh in Colorado & Ohio only!
    I tried the "Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout' yesterday and couldn't believe how good it was/is. Normally I'm not into flavored stouts, at all. The tour guide explained it, small batch, same home brewer won a contest to make it with Stone, etc...
    If you like the stouts, and you like Girl Scout "Thin Mints", this is the beer for you. What a tasty beer. If the temp was cooler (74 in SD yesterday) I'd drink a bunch of these badboys!
    PROST!
    Had a 16th Anny IPA from Stone last night... quite delish... not as good as the 10th anny ruination, but definitely a tasty beverage that I would happily consume again. :D
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,672
    Just finished my 2nd night of volunteering at the GABF
    over 2700 beers from over 500 breweries
    lat year I tasted just over 120 differwnt brews and this year got near 140
    AWESOME!!!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    river horse pumpkin tonight for the game/debate.

go tigers/democracy!
    www.myspace.com
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Picked one of these up:
    600bec74bea0__1350741062000.jpeg?tw=0&th=720&s=true&rs=false
    Problem is:
    2a764059d121__1350741075000.jpeg?tw=0&th=720&s=true&rs=false
    Never aged a beer before. Can I just keep it in the fridge or is that too cold?
    #FHP
    Also going to the Willamette Valley Fresh Hops Festival today. :D
    #FHP
    Horos wrote:

Yum - I've had the 2008 and it was delicious...unless this is a specific "bottle conditioned" beer (it's not) feel free to store it in the fridge. Keep oxygen, light and heat away from this puppy, Horos. The crown liner is the most important part of this masterpiece. This is where the oxygen seeps in and the carbon dioxide seeps out. Keeping it cold will prolong the life of it. Tip: brown bag this puppy, then slap it in the fridge.
    No way I could wait until August 2013 to enjoy this Dissident, more power to you bro!
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    Horos wrote:

Yum - I've had the 2008 and it was delicious...unless this is a specific "bottle conditioned" beer (it's not) feel free to store it in the fridge. Keep oxygen, light and heat away from this puppy, Horos. The crown liner is the most important part of this masterpiece. This is where the oxygen seeps in and the carbon dioxide seeps out. Keeping it cold will prolong the life of it. Tip: brown bag this puppy, then slap it in the fridge.
    No way I could wait until August 2013 to enjoy this Dissident, more power to you bro!
    Thanks. It is waxed on the cap.

Probably have to pick up another to drink just to be able to compare. No one at my house believes I can sit on it for a year. I don't know if I can either.
    #FHP
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Brewfest in Newtown!!!!!!!!
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Never realized that the Lagunitas Brown Shugga was 9.9% ABV. Is it too early? Nah
    We were but stones your light made us stars
    Horos wrote:
    Picked one of these up:
    600bec74bea0__1350741062000.jpeg?tw=0&th=720&s=true&rs=false
    Problem is:

Nice choice. I still have a couple '09 Abyss and a Black Butte XXI (need to get a couple XXIV's). I just put them in the pantry and wait for the right occasion. Check in after the Fresh Hop fest and give us your top 3.
    Trying to read my drunken notes. Here's the top 3 from the fresh hops festival:

#1 Double Mountain Killer Green Bud
    #2 Widmer Columbia Commons
    #3 Falling Sky Whoa Dang

others we tried:

Pelican Elemental Ale
    Full Sail Hoppenfrisch(?)
    Ninkasi Smells Like Purple & Total Crystalization
    Base Camp Hoptastic Voyage
    10 Barrels Crosby Farms Fresh Hopped
    7 Brides 44 Magnum Fresh Hop Pale Ale & Fresh Hop Ember
    and a Chatoe Rogue fresh hop.
    #FHP
    Horos wrote:
    Trying to read my drunken notes. Here's the top 3 from the fresh hops festival:

#1 Double Mountain Killer Green Bud
    #2 Widmer Columbia Commons
    #3 Falling Sky Whoa Dang

others we tried:

Pelican Elemental Ale
    Full Sail Hoppenfrisch(?)
    Ninkasi Smells Like Purple & Total Crystalization
    Base Camp Hoptastic Voyage
    10 Barrels Crosby Farms Fresh Hopped
    7 Brides 44 Magnum Fresh Hop Pale Ale & Fresh Hop Ember
    and a Chatoe Rogue fresh hop.

:lol:

10 beers mentioned, none of which will be or have ever been available in Texas...

They might not allow me freedom of taste, but at least I can own several hundred guns without any repercussions.... :fp:
    1st Annual Mckenzie Cider and Craft Beer Festival next weekend. This will be the 4th one in my area this year. Always felt like they should have one a month. Can't wait. :D
    #FHP
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Mad Elf is out and it's fantastic. Never had it before now. I've been trying a lot of different ales and I've been neglecting my 1st true love, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I grabbed some yesterday and its just so damn good.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer