The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    shep wrote:
    On the plus side of things, I hit up my usual bottle shop today for the first time in 3 weeks (out of town traveling and what not the last little while) and this week they had just gotten a huge DFH shipment! piles of 90, 60, and palo santo sitting around... and I talked to the beer guy and he passed me the last bottle of Theobrama in the shop, a bottle of the Postive Contact, and a 4-pack of Tweason'ale! Quite the haul, along with a 4 pack of the new DIPA from southern star I wound up spending $45, when I went in thinking I was going to leave empty handed... don't tell the girlfriend ;)
    Nice! Still no 120, though? If you can get back there and get your hands on some Burton Baton and My Antonia. 90min was my first true love in craft beer, but at this point in my beer drinking career, I'd have to say BB is my fave DFH DIPA. My Antonia is a pilsner with a kick -- I'm so ruined by all my ball-breaker IPA endeavors that I have a hard time enjoying "standard" pilsners, regardless of how quality and bavarian they might be. :D My Antonia brands itself as an "imperial" pilsner, which I enjoy immensely.
  • shepshep Posts: 5,763
    MotoDC wrote:
    shep wrote:
    On the plus side of things, I hit up my usual bottle shop today for the first time in 3 weeks (out of town traveling and what not the last little while) and this week they had just gotten a huge DFH shipment! piles of 90, 60, and palo santo sitting around... and I talked to the beer guy and he passed me the last bottle of Theobrama in the shop, a bottle of the Postive Contact, and a 4-pack of Tweason'ale! Quite the haul, along with a 4 pack of the new DIPA from southern star I wound up spending $45, when I went in thinking I was going to leave empty handed... don't tell the girlfriend ;)
    Nice! Still no 120, though? If you can get back there and get your hands on some Burton Baton and My Antonia. 90min was my first true love in craft beer, but at this point in my beer drinking career, I'd have to say BB is my fave DFH DIPA. My Antonia is a pilsner with a kick -- I'm so ruined by all my ball-breaker IPA endeavors that I have a hard time enjoying "standard" pilsners, regardless of how quality and bavarian they might be. :D My Antonia brands itself as an "imperial" pilsner, which I enjoy immensely.

I think Burton Baton has become my favorite beer period. I managed to get 2 x 4packs of this year's offering and I have bottle left for consumption and 4 in the aging fridge.... I don't know how I'm going to hold on to them though... they were so good I can't see me letting them sit there for too long untouched...

Unfortunately DFH didn't send any of My Antonia to the state of Texas... I had read the description and was hoping they would, but it looks like I'm SOL to try that one... :cry:
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Stopped at the supermarket on the way home and stumbled across 2 4-packs of Hoptimum. :D
    #FHP
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,149
    shep wrote:
    I think Burton Baton has become my favorite beer period. I managed to get 2 x 4packs of this year's offering and I have bottle left for consumption and 4 in the aging fridge.... I don't know how I'm going to hold on to them though... they were so good I can't see me letting them sit there for too long untouched...

Unfortunately DFH didn't send any of My Antonia to the state of Texas... I had read the description and was hoping they would, but it looks like I'm SOL to try that one... :cry:

I have a 4 pack of Burton that has aged for 2 years so far. Next year I will have two of them and then the year after the other two :D
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,931
    shep wrote:
    So... I had my bottle of Cucumber Saison tonight..

32de352b707515a38185bdeb41e4fac6_320x320.jpg

I honestly have to say that it was probably the worst tasting beer I've had in a very long time... the cucumber aroma and taste was just too pungent for me... I don't know how I finished the bottle... it was a mistake... I should have stopped after the first glass...

jeez.....I would have thought cucumber would be just perfect in beer :shock: :fp:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    Horos wrote:
    Stopped at the supermarket on the way home and stumbled across 2 4-packs of Hoptimum. :D

So yummy - and since you seem to be a fan of the hops and Stone's brews, have you treated yourself to a Stone "Enjoy By" IPA yet? Absolutely delicious and I highly recommend it, good sir. I'd love to see what you think - especially since you are a fan of the IPA's...

I enjoyed a 2nd one last evening and man it is delicious!
    PROST!
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    Horos wrote:

So yummy - and since you seem to be a fan of the hops and Stone's brews, have you treated yourself to a Stone "Enjoy By" IPA yet? Absolutely delicious and I highly recommend it, good sir. I'd love to see what you think - especially since you are a fan of the IPA's...

I enjoyed a 2nd one last evening and man it is delicious!
    PROST!
    Any idea if they're going to be distributing this one outside of California? I'd love to get my hands on that one. We usually get most of Stone's releases down here, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    adam42381 wrote:
    Any idea if they're going to be distributing this one outside of California? I'd love to get my hands on that one. We usually get most of Stone's releases down here, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    http://www.stonebrew.com/enjoyby/#findEnjoy

Check the link above - you gotta drink it by 9.21.12 - it was bottled last Friday.
    Chicago, Jersey & So Cal as of now...contact them to get it where you live!
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    adam42381 wrote:

Check the link above - you gotta drink it by 9.21.12 - it was bottled last Friday.
    I sent a request and also sent a tweet to Greg. We'll see what happens.
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    adam42381 wrote:

I'm in Oregon. Sure it will show up here soon. :fingerscrossed: I try to try everything I see from Stone.
    #FHP
    Horos wrote:
    I'm in Oregon. Sure it will show up here soon. :fingerscrossed: I try to try everything I see from Stone.
    Same here. They rarely disappoint. The only one I can think of off the top of my head that I didn't really like was the Belgo Anise Imperial Russian Stout. I didn't think it was terrible, but the anise/licorice flavor was a bit much for me on that one.
    Some craft brewers are petitioning for the release of the recipe for the Honey Ale that's brewed at the White House. You can sign here:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petiti ... e/XkpkYwc0
  • Had a Lagunitas Lucky 13 anniversary brew last night along with a few Wayerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ales. Had the pumpkin before which is delish and the Lagunitas was great as well. While the IBU's on the lucky 13 come in at 60 which is less than Lil Sumpin Sumpin (which I drink often), it still tasted way hoppier. Real good stuff for any fans of Lagunitas
    We were but stones your light made us stars
    Had a Lagunitas Lucky 13 anniversary brew last night along with a few Wayerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ales. Had the pumpkin before which is delish and the Lagunitas was great as well. While the IBU's on the lucky 13 come in at 60 which is less than Lil Sumpin Sumpin (which I drink often), it still tasted way hoppier. Real good stuff for any fans of Lagunitas
    I love both the regular Lucky 13 and Lucky 13.alt. Lagunitas makes some delicious beers.
    Had a bottle of La Roja by Jolly Pumpkin last night... Not what I was expecting, but a very good beer...

I can see myself getting into sours before too long... I haven't tried a "true" sour yet, just had a couple of "mixed" beers... but I very much enjoy the sour notes.

I also tried my first batch of homebrew - and I was impressed it actually tastes like beer! :D

It's supposed to be a pale ale, but it's a little yeasty and dark due to the malt extract and the temp I pitched the yeast at... hopefully it settles out a little more as it ages in the bottle.... it's pretty good for a first attempt methinks!

The second batch is already in the primary :)
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,355
    shep wrote:
    Had a bottle of La Roja by Jolly Pumpkin last night... Not what I was expecting, but a very good beer...

I can see myself getting into sours before too long... I haven't tried a "true" sour yet, just had a couple of "mixed" beers... but I very much enjoy the sour notes.

I also tried my first batch of homebrew - and I was impressed it actually tastes like beer! :D

It's supposed to be a pale ale, but it's a little yeasty and dark due to the malt extract and the temp I pitched the yeast at... hopefully it settles out a little more as it ages in the bottle.... it's pretty good for a first attempt methinks!

Get some Cantillon...if you can.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,355
    adam42381 wrote:
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:
    As much as I love Sierra, it's not the best hanging out in high temp beer. I'm still holding on to a 12 of the 2011 Celebration Ale.

From my experience I feel like Celebration Ale is much better consumed when fresh. That is one beer I do not want to "age".
    I agree. Most typical IPAs shouldn't be aged because the hops tend to fade after a few months. While they'll never really go "bad", they can take on a much sweeter, maltier flavor than the brewer intended. It's amazing how quickly some hoppy beers will begin to fade. I had a Pliny the Elder that was 3 weeks old and it was fantastic. I waited 2 more weeks to drink the other bottle and the flavor had faded significantly.

In my opinion and experience, only 120 minute and maybe a few other triple ipas can be cellared.

I've aged Devil Dancer and think it;s fantastic after 1 year. But really, this guy speaks the truth, ipas or hoppy beers are meant to be consumed fresh. The fresher, the better.
    hippiemom = goodness
    shep wrote:

Get some Cantillon...if you can.
    Haha, that's a monster "if". :D
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,931
    what a minute....this stuff really exists???? :?

6pk%20and%20bottle.jpg
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    In my opinion and experience, only 120 minute and maybe a few other triple ipas can be cellared.

I've aged Devil Dancer and think it;s fantastic after 1 year. But really, this guy speaks the truth, ipas or hoppy beers are meant to be consumed fresh. The fresher, the better.
    That's good to hear about Devil Dancer. I picked up two recently -- one to try immediately and another to try...well, later. However long I can force myself to forget it's there. :D Was worried that the one I laid down would be for naught.

How long do you think 90 minutes can be left in the bottle?
    severed hand thirteen
  • shepshep Posts: 5,763
    imalive wrote:

6pk%20and%20bottle.jpg

sooner or later someone had to do it...

probably make a shitload of money off it too.

I know If I saw it out somewhere I'd have to try it, and probably get an extra sixer to keep for sentimental purposes - regardless of how good it is...
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    shep wrote:
    imalive wrote:

6pk%20and%20bottle.jpg

sooner or later someone had to do it...

probably make a shitload of money off it too.

I know If I saw it out somewhere I'd have to try it, and probably get an extra sixer to keep for sentimental purposes - regardless of how good it is...

I wouldn't count on them making anything close to a shitload of money. I mean Fox has a ton of lawyers on staff to protect their trademarks when it comes to this type of thing. Unless the people making it are living somewhere, where trademark and copyright laws don't apply I can see them getting sued back to the stone age.
  • Headin to the local brewery to drink a newly tapped Belgian IPA. (where's the salivating smiley?)
    We were but stones your light made us stars
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

It's going to change a lot after 90 days or so. It's still good after a longer period of time, the hops just fade making it a much maltier, sweeter beer.
    For anyone in TX, especially Houston (Shep & I) craft drinkers, the new Southern Star ProAM DIPA is killer. Freshest, piniest, hopjuice bomb i've had in TX since moving out here from San Diego. Seriously rivals some so cal dipa stuff.

the front end actually has me thinking of pliny, really good shit.

p.s. shep-pliny's may be here next week.
    San Diego Sports Arena - Oct 25, 2000
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - May 1, 2010
    Alpine Valley Music Theater - Sep 3-4 2011
    Made In America, Philly - Sep 2, 2012
    EV, Houston - Nov 12-13, 2012
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    Fenway Night 1, August 2016
    Wrigley, Night 1 August 2018
    Fort Worth, Night 1 September 2023
    Fort Worth, Night 2 September 2023
    Austin, Night 1 September 2023
    Austin, Night 2 September 2023
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,196
    shep wrote:

Have you tried a Flanders Red or Oud Bruin yet? Perfect gateway to sours. Seek out something simple like a Monk's Cafe or Rodenbach. Sours were the last thing I got into and there's been no looking back.
    adam42381 wrote:
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

It's going to change a lot after 90 days or so. It's still good after a longer period of time, the hops just fade making it a much maltier, sweeter beer.

Thanks for your response. 90 minute IPA is my favorite beer of all time so I bought a case and am going to spread out the consumption of it over maybe a year or maybe like 3/4 of a year to see how much it changes.
    severed hand thirteen
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Thanks for your response. 90 minute IPA is my favorite beer of all time so I bought a case and am going to spread out the consumption of it over maybe a year or maybe like 3/4 of a year to see how much it changes.
    I actually enjoy some IPAs once they've become sweeter/maltier. I like the idea of spreading them out to see if you notice the changes.
    adam42381 wrote:
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    I actually enjoy some IPAs once they've become sweeter/maltier. I like the idea of spreading them out to see if you notice the changes.
    You know what's weird? My palate tells me that 120min actually gets LESS sweet after a few months in the bottle. I don't really know how that's possible -- maybe something to do with additional fermentation consuming some more of the residual sugars? I really don't know the brewing process as well as I'd like.

Note that I'm really only talking about 120 here, no other DIPAs, etc, have done that to me.