Any Rumours on support acts yet?

Comments

• Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    strummers wrote:
    redrock wrote:
    I'll do it, for beer. :mrgreen:

You're so cheap :roll:

It would be nice though if they had a local band at each gig.....

A local such as Paddy Casey?? :lol:

Aaarrrrggghhhhhh!!!!! No a DECENT local band... I can think of one or two for London!
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,838
    come on no support needed.....a real nice long set, and lets cut the bullshit
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,838
    i mean how many gigs have you been to where you really paid attention to the support and werent thinking @get a move on'....I bet you can count the good ones on one hand.

Pearl jam had the Vandals in 2000 and at least they were entertaining in a funny sort of way
  • Options
    PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    pdalowsky wrote:
    i mean how many gigs have you been to where you really paid attention to the support and werent thinking @get a move on'....I bet you can count the good ones on one hand.
    No way. Once a band is big enough to pick their own support, I expect them to be good, or at least a suitable build up.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • Options
    RedMosquito02RedMosquito02 Posts: 2,560
    I think it's pretty safe to assume that it's not going to be a band that has opened for them in the past..

Just don't see it happening...

But you never know!! 8-)
  • Options
    eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    pdalowsky wrote:

Pearl jam had the Vandals in 2000 and at least they were entertaining in a funny sort of way

off the top of my head - two such gigs.

Metallica in 2004 (I think). two openers, one's name I can't remember and they were pretty shite. but Slipknot was the second one and it was great. :D not better than what we came to see of course. but I sure paid attention. I also was scared witless during most of their set. :?

Pearl Jam in Dusseldorf - Interpol. hadn't heard much anything from them before but they were great. :D at least the bass-player. :mrgreen:

though that's not to say I wouldn't love a loooonnnngggg Pearl Jam set. :lol:
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Options
    RedMosquito02RedMosquito02 Posts: 2,560
    pdalowsky wrote:

I've had very good experiences with PJ's openers:
    The Fastbacks
    Ben Harper
    Death Cab
    MMJ
    ....I'm just now realizing that I, in fact, can count them on one hand. :)

But, yeah...even when there is an amazing band on stage, I'm still like "get the FUCK off the stage." Gimme PJ 8-)

Weird how that works...
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    Doesn't Alice in Chains have an album coming out in September. Regardless i don't think PJ would do this, as it would be billed as something "grungy". I'd rather they didn't as well

I would love to see MMJ head out with them again but that isn't happening. They are taking a road break from what i've heard.

I am still holding out hope for Gomez (big PJ fans and an amazing live act). But it most likely won't happen either.

I really hope it's not BH and the Relentless 7. I used to love that dude but he bores me to tears now

Gomez would be great, but can you make that sort of comment about Ben Harper without hearing the new album, and seeing them do it live! No sleepy snoozy boring stuff there, just balls to the floor blues and rock :lol:

Well, i've heard the new single and while the music is pretty solid his vocal delivery is what bores me. Oh, and his lyrics. I will give it a shot though. note: this is coming from someone who's seen Ben over 20 times back in the day (not including pj opening slots) so i have some basis for my opinion
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    DeadmanDeadman Posts: 788
    Doesn't Alice in Chains have an album coming out in September. Regardless i don't think PJ would do this, as it would be billed as something "grungy". I'd rather they didn't as well

I would love to see MMJ head out with them again but that isn't happening. They are taking a road break from what i've heard.

I am still holding out hope for Gomez (big PJ fans and an amazing live act). But it most likely won't happen either.

I really hope it's not BH and the Relentless 7. I used to love that dude but he bores me to tears now

Gomez would be great, but can you make that sort of comment about Ben Harper without hearing the new album, and seeing them do it live! No sleepy snoozy boring stuff there, just balls to the floor blues and rock :lol:

Well, i've heard the new single and while the music is pretty solid his vocal delivery is what bores me. Oh, and his lyrics. I will give it a shot though. note: this is coming from someone who's seen Ben over 20 times back in the day (not including pj opening slots) so i have some basis for my opinion

Used to LOVE Ben Harper... just so boring anymore. No more Kings of Leon, no more My Morning Jacket (although I love them)... I'd really like to see them get somebody like Mastodon or The Mars Volta out with them. Crowd may not dig as much, but it'd certainly be a nice change of pace.
  • Options
    UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    raindog80 wrote:
    Anglais wrote:
    having recently discovered the gaslight anthem, I vote for them :D

The Gaslight Anthem would be awesome, would love that

The Gaslight Anthem!!!

Others:

Mudhoney
    Sonic Youth
    Iron & Wine
    My Morning Jacket
    Death Cab for Cutie

Great list... out of those I would favour:

Gaslight Anthem, Sonic Youth, Iron & Wine or MMJ (seeing as they blew out the Brixton gig with Black Keys and we missed them :()
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,259
    Me First & The Gimme Gimmes!!

John Butler Trio

DeVotchKa

Damien Rice

Mogwai
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    UKDave wrote:

Gaslight Anthem, Sonic Youth, Iron & Wine or MMJ (seeing as they blew out the Brixton gig with Black Keys and we missed them :()
    I was so :evil: when they got added to that show (that I had already bought for the Black Keys)...even more so when I heard Liam Finn was opening the other UK shows :cry: .. I even tried to get a refund!
    and sooo :mrgreen: when they pulled out and Liam was back on the bill. :P

I've known all 3 bands through being PJ/Ed openers but if I never hear MMJ again it won't be too soon!
    If they open, I'm trading my GAs for seats so I don't have to get in the building until they're off!
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    JordyWordy wrote:

John Butler Trio

DeVotchKa

Damien Rice

Mogwai

Damien Rice or Mogwai?! I'd actually like to be AWAKE when PJ walk on stage :P

note: Mogwai are on my sleepy playlist. Mr. Rice is just boring!
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    Pegasus wrote:
    UKDave wrote:

I was so :evil: when they got added to that show (that I had already bought for the Black Keys)...even more so when I heard Liam Finn was opening the other UK shows :cry: .. I even tried to get a refund!
    and sooo :mrgreen: when they pulled out and Liam was back on the bill. :P

I've known all 3 bands through being PJ/Ed openers but if I never hear MMJ again it won't be too soon!
    If they open, I'm trading my GAs for seats so I don't have to get in the building until they're off!

Each to their own... I didn't enjoy Liam Finn tbh, would much prefer MMJ...
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    Don't they usually announce openers when they announce the dates? Seems like PJ might be doing this little stint on their own -- would be a really cool thing for those who are attending!
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    drsluggo wrote:
    Don't they usually announce openers when they announce the dates? Seems like PJ might be doing this little stint on their own -- would be a really cool thing for those who are attending!
    not necessarily cool.. they had no openers in Zagreb and Athens but didn't do a particularly longer set for that.
  • Options
    Jennytree wrote:
    JordyWordy wrote:

John Butler Trio

DeVotchKa

Damien Rice

Mogwai

Fair enough :) The first 3 though would be preferential. Me 1st & Gimmes would be amazing, i watched them before the PJ Hurricane 07 set, and it was so much fun. what a band!

I'd take Damo or Mogwai over Paddy Casey/Ted Leo & Pharmacists-esque openers anyday though! have you seen Mogwai live? wouldnt put you to sleep!! "Mood building" shall we say.... 8-)
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    I'd love to see Gogol Bordello . Great sound and a helluvalot of danceable fun. Or Monotonix . Their live shows are delicious , audience participating chaos; something which could be translated from their club insanity to the standing areas of London and Manchester.

Otherwise, give me Sonic Youth, Devotchka, or MMJ.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    First off, I am hoping they play Alpine, or somewhere within 8 hours. (I am willing to go to ND) I would love to see KOL or MMJ, but I think it's a year too late for either of them. I am counting on the band to find an opening act I love, or an opening act I will come to love. I trust PJ.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    i wouldn't mind the Silversun Pickups, more likely for the US than Europe.
    Got a great new album out, playing outside lands as well
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    JordyWordy wrote:
    Jennytree wrote:
    JordyWordy wrote:

John Butler Trio

DeVotchKa

Damien Rice

Mogwai

Fair enough :) The first 3 though would be preferential. Me 1st & Gimmes would be amazing, i watched them before the PJ Hurricane 07 set, and it was so much fun. what a band!

I'd take Damo or Mogwai over Paddy Casey/Ted Leo & Pharmacists-esque openers anyday though! have you seen Mogwai live? wouldnt put you to sleep!! "Mood building" shall we say.... 8-)

I didn't even watch Ted Leo! And aren't Mogwai gone kaput? I did get to see The Futureheads three times *joy*

The show in Nijmegen suited me perfectly. Kings of Leon were a bit useless, but Incubus before PJ was just ideal - especially in such a setting as Goeffert Park.
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,025
    Jennytree wrote:

And aren't Mogwai gone kaput? .
    nope, they're actually on tour now

http://www.mogwai.co.uk/
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Jennytree wrote:
    I didn't even watch Ted Leo! And aren't Mogwai gone kaput? I did get to see The Futureheads three times *joy*

The show in Nijmegen suited me perfectly. Kings of Leon were a bit useless, but Incubus before PJ was just ideal - especially in such a setting as Goeffert Park.

No no, theyre still around. Just played 3 nights in Dublin recently too! The Futureheads ("Hounds Of Love" cover aside), were a big pile of shite!!

New suggestion - Rodrigo Y Gabriela
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i'd love for it to be The Raconteurs 8-)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    graham1978graham1978 Posts: 51
    My Morning Jacket would be cool
  • Options
    Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
    MMJ.

They have no tour dates this year for Europe AND they still owe us a cancelled gig from Manchester last year (JJ very inconsiderately slipped over and hurt his perfrectly formed leg :evil: ) and I do think they're the kind of band who'd come over just for 4 choice gigs.... so I think they could be a distinct possibility... or at least I hope they are :mrgreen:

Oh god, imagine if they did support again... i'd be a gibbering wreck :oops: :mrgreen: :geek:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    CalumCalum Posts: 635
    bring Ben Harper & Relentless7 , something fresh not the bloody idlewild :twisted:
    London Astoria - Dublin - Wembley - Shepherds Bush - London 02
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    JordyWordy wrote:

New suggestion - Rodrigo Y Gabriela

i'd go with that... something a bit different and entertaining..

ohhh what about Sticky Vicky?
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    I've got it! It'd be perfect. How about ... The Tweets!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thuuik8z978
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,361
    Sonic Youth would be good - their new album is awesome! Mudhoney would be cool for the possibility of a Green River song or two, but it would probably too much of a grunge gig.

Of the other bands that have been mentioned so far, I'd have to say I'd be disappointed if it was Alice In Chains or Kings Of Leon (a PJ show without KOL would make a nice change!), U2 would totally suck and i don't think MSP would be that good a fit
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)