why would you HAVE to eat meat?

Comments

• SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    About 2 weeks ago my 12 year old daughter went vegetarian, so recently I've done a little reading on soy & soy products. Most soy found in tofu or soy milk is BAD FOR YOU. Soy is only good for you when it's unfermented, as found in soy sauce. So, I don't allow soy in my house.
    Therefore, it's been pretty hard trying to make dinner for my family with one vegetarian. In general my family has meat, green veg & beans or brown rice for dinner. If she has dinner with us that means she's basically eating pan-roasted asparagus and some rice. What kind of life is that??? How can a person be full without a meat product? We don't eat pasta, potatoes or bread products so that rules out a lot of vegetarian-friendly dishes.
    Oh, and I told her what gelatin is so now she won't take part in the s'mores-around-the-campfire tradition
    No pasta, potatoes or bread? Why?
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    Songburst wrote:
    About 2 weeks ago my 12 year old daughter went vegetarian, so recently I've done a little reading on soy & soy products. Most soy found in tofu or soy milk is BAD FOR YOU. Soy is only good for you when it's unfermented, as found in soy sauce. So, I don't allow soy in my house.
    Therefore, it's been pretty hard trying to make dinner for my family with one vegetarian. In general my family has meat, green veg & beans or brown rice for dinner. If she has dinner with us that means she's basically eating pan-roasted asparagus and some rice. What kind of life is that??? How can a person be full without a meat product? We don't eat pasta, potatoes or bread products so that rules out a lot of vegetarian-friendly dishes.
    Oh, and I told her what gelatin is so now she won't take part in the s'mores-around-the-campfire tradition

Just to kill the joy in life...
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    One of my friends was a veg for about 10 years and ate a lot of Tofu and drank soymilk. She and her young daughter ended up Hypothyroid, and their doctor told them to stop eating Tofu and drinking Soymilk, and at the very least add some fish to her diet. She is doing much better now and her daughter is completely off of thyroid meds now that they eats a bit of fish or seafood each week. I think adding Tempah to the diet of a 12 year old would be a good alternative to meat, it is easy to prepare and can be used as a substitute for meat in almost anything you would make for your family, it readily takes on flavors and has a much better texture then tofu. You can find it in most supermarkets now. I find it more digestible if it is steamed first for 15 minutes and then used in a recipe. http://www.tempeh.info/recipes/tempeh-recipes.php

Here's a site with a ton of info....you could spend weeks reading all the articles!!!
    http://paleodiet.com/
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153

please tell me what gelatin is. are you referring to Jello? there used to be some time type of gelatin by Knox years ago which one would drink to harden their finger nails.

ugh, one time I got soy powder from GNC and made gross shakes with it and I could not go to the bathroom.
    then I read soy is constipating. this was when some test i had said i could not have cow's milk but it did not specify which component of cow's milk i am intolerant to. the test was not through my doctor, i sent my blood to a lab in england after they sent me a kit, then test results.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Try Almond Milk instead
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    iluvcats wrote:

please tell me what gelatin is. are you referring to Jello? there used to be some time type of gelatin by Knox years ago which one would drink to harden their finger nails.

She mentions s'mores. Those are snacks with graham crackers, marshmallows, and chocolate. Marshmallows contain gelatin (though there are vegan ones), and gelatin is made from animal bones.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    Jane answered it correctly. Gelatin is made from animal bones. It's found in jello, gummy candies & marshmallows.

Oh and Songburst- you asked why no potatoes, pasta or bread? That's because we cut those out of our diet a few years ago to be healthier. We have brought bread back into our lives in small quantities, but pasta & potatoes are still out. I lost 30 lbs. 2 years ago & intend to keep it off!
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    scb wrote:
    Songburst wrote:

Just to kill the joy in life...

:lol::lol::lol:
    seriously made me laugh - and i whole-heartedly agree!
    a life without pasta?! :shock:
    be still my first generation american, 75% italian-descendant, heart!

whole wheat pasta is an excellent and tasty alternative to the non-nutrion of white flour pasta. one can eat just about ANYthing, and be healthy, stay in shape, etc. it's all balance and moderation. potatoes i could live without, but delicious bread and pasta.....no way.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

haha! this explains why my 5 year old always orders the ravioli when we go out to eat! (goat cheese ravs are the BEST)
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    iluvcats wrote:
    I subscribe to a vegetarian magazine, although I'm not considered a vegetarian. I've always been grossed out by meat but I cook it for my family. I try to eat it and can't finish it or just pick at it. I eats lots of nuts, oatmeal, salad, some veggies and junk food. I never found out why I'm light headed even though I had tests performed. Anyway, I was reading my vegan magazine last night and there was a letter from a woman who was told she had to eat 5 oz of meat daily to get better....she only said she was very ill. Do you suppose she was malnourished? Even though it is going to be hard, I'm going to try eating 5 ounces a day too. Also, the doctor said she had to eat animal protein....would that exclude poultry?

I wrote a long answer which I saved instead of submitting. How do I find my saved answer?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • ajedigeckoajedigecko Posts: 2,430
    i dice up jalapenos and onions and mix them into the beef that we raise.......makes for a wonderful burger.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    to the OP, you don't HAVE to eat red meat. in fact you may not want too...
    People who eat red meat every day have a higher risk of dying over a 10-year period -- mostly because of cardiovascular disease or cancer --than their peers who eat less red or processed meat, according to a new study of about half a million people.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/03/23/he ... .lifespan/
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    big sharp teeth called incisors.

we have them, ergo we have them to eat meat.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    I tried to go veggie. It lasted a little over a month. I started eating way too much pasta. My diet wasnt correct. I failed.
    haha! this explains why my 5 year old always orders the ravioli when we go out to eat! (goat cheese ravs are the BEST)

depriving a child of the joy of eating delicious pasta say once a week i think may constitute cruel and inhuman treatment. best be careful no one calls child protection services on you. ;)

i was a veggie for about 2 years? i think. the only thing i REALLY missed was buffalo wings. if my hubby also went veggie, perhaps would've stayed with it....but given the fact that i don't cook and he does, and he eats meat.....just got to the point that i went back to meat. i ate surprisingly healthy as a veg or a meat-eater......it's all the junk food that was always my nemesis. :twisted: however, i am doing faaaarrrrrr better nowadays. little by little...i'll get back to where i want to be. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

edited April 2009
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I tried to go veggie. It lasted a little over a month. I started eating way too much pasta. My diet wasnt correct. I failed.

See that's one thing I've noticed: vegetarians eat a lot of bread & pasta. Two things that are not good for you. Maybe that's the only way to ever feel full? The fat from meat helps to give a person that full feeling.
    Also many of the vegetarians I know are overweight. There. I said it! Not all, but I've noticed that 50% of the vegetarians I wait on have an extra 20-30 lbs.
    Post edited by _Crazy_Mary_ on
    because when i have my back turned to the cow, chicken, and fish.............they mock me.
  • sickgirlsickgirl Posts: 139
    Anyone that thinks a vegitarian or vegan diet is unhealthy should really try to do some research instead of assuming. Besides the obvious health benifits, there are so many diseases that can be prevented. Before you put it down or forbid a child the choice it is really worth it to do some real research. I've got plenty of links to websites with info and the names of some books, if anyone wants them.
    Fuck Cancer, fucking jerk
  • pearljamjenpearljamjen Posts: 13,578
    sickgirl wrote:
    Anyone that thinks a vegitarian or vegan diet is unhealthy should really try to do some research instead of assuming. Besides the obvious health benifits, there are so many diseases that can be prevented. Before you put it down or forbid a child the choice it is really worth it to do some real research. I've got plenty of links to websites with info and the names of some books, if anyone wants them.

EXACTLY. I wasn't going to post in this thread, but I had to say I'm glad you posted what you did.

I know a lot of meat-eaters who are overweight too. Not all, some are very fit. Just like some vegetarians are, and some aren't. It depends what you eat. :roll: You DON'T need bread or pasta to feel full.

There are a lot of options. You just have to do some research.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,861
    ajedigecko wrote:
    because when i have my back turned to the cow, chicken, and fish.............they mock me.
    What about the pig?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    sickgirl wrote:

EXACTLY. I wasn't going to post in this thread, but I had to say I'm glad you posted what you did.

I know a lot of meat-eaters who are overweight too. Not all, some are very fit. Just like some vegetarians are, and some aren't. It depends what you eat. :roll: You DON'T need bread or pasta to feel full.

There are a lot of options. You just have to do some research.

absolutely!
    when i went veg, i researched a LOT.....there are so many excellent sources out there, especially now. i ate a lot of different foods, and quite honestly, ate no more bread or pasta than i do as a a meat eater. whether a veggie or omnivore, being smart about nutrition, researching what you put in your body, balancing your diet well...is ALWAYS the way to go so you feel good, look good, and is good for your overall health.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    i miss bacon
    Last night for dinner I made buffalo burgers, beans and a fresh herb green salad with nuts, apples & cheese. And for the vegetarian I made a sandwich with some fake chicken nuggets in place of the buffalo. It worked out, but of course the meal did involve bread...
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    Last night for dinner I made buffalo burgers, beans and a fresh herb green salad with nuts, apples & cheese. And for the vegetarian I made a sandwich with some fake chicken nuggets in place of the buffalo. It worked out, but of course the meal did involve bread...

buffalo meat? is it tough?
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    mickeyrat wrote:
    ajedigecko wrote:
    What about the pig?
    to be honest..............i do not like pig, so they can talk all the shit they want.
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    dcfaithful wrote:
    A lot of the meat in the States is loaded with pesticides, hormones, etc...unless you kno where your meat is coming from like a local farm or whatever, and let's all admit not all of us do. Having a vegetarian diet can significantly reduce your risk of disease. The European nations has made a good decision in outlawing all hormones being fed to their livestock. It's more expensive, but the quality of the meat is much, much better. It's typical of America to take the cheap way out, adn get the bigger bang for their buck. I just wish we would strongly consider not scientifically altering all of our food.
    while that's all well and good and many meats are evident of where they've come from... IF a chicken is born, reared and killed in say the US according to US regulations but only CUT up and packaged in Britain, they get to label it 'British'. So it's not foolproof and you don't always know what you're getting. It IS quite easy to get meat knowing exactly where it's coming from of course, but it's often much more expensive... I'm referring to buying it in your local supermarket.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • whitepantswhitepants Posts: 727
    Just watch 'Babe', and you'll never want to eat pork again.

How can you eat such an adorable creature. They're smart too! :ugeek:
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    iluvcats wrote:
    I subscribe to a vegetarian magazine, although I'm not considered a vegetarian. I've always been grossed out by meat but I cook it for my family. I try to eat it and can't finish it or just pick at it. I eats lots of nuts, oatmeal, salad, some veggies and junk food. I never found out why I'm light headed even though I had tests performed. Anyway, I was reading my vegan magazine last night and there was a letter from a woman who was told she had to eat 5 oz of meat daily to get better....she only said she was very ill. Do you suppose she was malnourished? Even though it is going to be hard, I'm going to try eating 5 ounces a day too. Also, the doctor said she had to eat animal protein....would that exclude poultry?

Animal protein is all animals. Fish, birds, cows, sheep, whatever.

I've been a vegetarian for about 18 years. Strict "ovo-lacto" meaning I eat dairy and eggs, but nothing that directly killed an animal to obtain. While my weight goes up and down due to snack or alcohol consumption, my energy level is pretty darned good.

Vegans do have to be careful. They probably need to eat more beans and other vegetable protein.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    sickgirl wrote:
    Anyone that thinks a vegitarian or vegan diet is unhealthy should really try to do some research instead of assuming. Besides the obvious health benifits, there are so many diseases that can be prevented.

Obvious? Am I to 'assume' via the pale avatar and 'sickgirl' screen name that you eat meat, and a lot of it? ;)
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
    whitepants wrote:
    Just watch 'Babe', and you'll never want to eat pork again.

How can you eat such an adorable creature. They're smart too! :ugeek:

LOVE that movie!
    :D

however, i love bacon more! :oops:

seriously, i absolutely get your point, and yet i manage to seperate the 'face' from my food. i think any feelings of *guilt* i have are not simply for eating animals.....but knowing HOW horribly they are treated while they are alive. :( THAT is my biggest issue/hypocrisy, whatever you want to call it. if factory farming didn't exist and all animals got to live happily, albeit short, lives....and then all killed humanely, i'd have zero issue with it. animals eat other animals. we are animals. omnivores, so i don't think it wrong or unnatural to eat meat....i think what we DO to animals is unnatural and wrong, and yes...i am still a meat eater.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...