why would you HAVE to eat meat?

Comments

• iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:
    I subscribe to a vegetarian magazine, although I'm not considered a vegetarian. I've always been grossed out by meat but I cook it for my family. I try to eat it and can't finish it or just pick at it. I eats lots of nuts, oatmeal, salad, some veggies and junk food. I never found out why I'm light headed even though I had tests performed. Anyway, I was reading my vegan magazine last night and there was a letter from a woman who was told she had to eat 5 oz of meat daily to get better....she only said she was very ill. Do you suppose she was malnourished? Even though it is going to be hard, I'm going to try eating 5 ounces a day too. Also, the doctor said she had to eat animal protein....would that exclude poultry?

I wrote a long answer which I saved instead of submitting. How do I find my saved answer?

I'm not sure where it is, I'm sorry you cannot find it. I just saw this page today, that's why I didn't reply sooner.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    iluvcats wrote:
    buffalo meat? is it tough?

No, I cooked the burgers about medium then topped them with cheese & caramelized onions. With dijon & mayo. Oh my God they were so juicy-licious! I want them again!
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • DinghyDogDinghyDog Posts: 587
    edited November 2012
    -
    Post edited by DinghyDog on
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    LOVE that movie!
    :D

however, i love bacon more! :oops:

seriously, i absolutely get your point, and yet i manage to seperate the 'face' from my food. i think any feelings of *guilt* i have are not simply for eating animals.....but knowing HOW horribly they are treated while they are alive. :( THAT is my biggest issue/hypocrisy, whatever you want to call it. if factory farming didn't exist and all animals got to live happily, albeit short, lives....and then all killed humanely, i'd have zero issue with it. animals eat other animals. we are animals. omnivores, so i don't think it wrong or unnatural to eat meat....i think what we DO to animals is unnatural and wrong, and yes...i am still a meat eater.
    A friend of mine was absolutely HORRIFIED to find battery eggs in my kitchen :oops: is it wrong that I find it really hard to care about chickens??? :oops: A cow yep, a pig absolutely... but chickens :?

Yeh, I'm going to hell :mrgreen:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    LOVE that movie!
    :D

however, i love bacon more! :oops:

seriously, i absolutely get your point, and yet i manage to seperate the 'face' from my food. i think any feelings of *guilt* i have are not simply for eating animals.....but knowing HOW horribly they are treated while they are alive. :( THAT is my biggest issue/hypocrisy, whatever you want to call it. if factory farming didn't exist and all animals got to live happily, albeit short, lives....and then all killed humanely, i'd have zero issue with it. animals eat other animals. we are animals. omnivores, so i don't think it wrong or unnatural to eat meat....i think what we DO to animals is unnatural and wrong, and yes...i am still a meat eater.
    A friend of mine was absolutely HORRIFIED to find battery eggs in my kitchen :oops: is it wrong that I find it really hard to care about chickens??? :oops: A cow yep, a pig absolutely... but chickens :?

Yeh, I'm going to hell :mrgreen:

i don't know what battery eggs are.... :?

have you ever actually SEEN any one of the documentaries about the abhorrent conditions of chickens? it is heart-breaking. last summer my husband was down in florida and he saw a chicken truck drive by and he was horrified. all of these things, for all food animals, were the main reason i went veg oh so many years ago.....but yes, i am a hypocrite b/c i just didn't want to stay a veg, i like eating meat. as i said, if it weren't for how they were treated, i do not think it's wrong to eat animals, even to raise them to be eaten....it's just HOW we do so, the factory farms.... :(

oh and buffalo burgers are quite yum! :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438

Battery eggs are those layed by hens kept in battery cages like this:
    battery-hens-rows-sm.jpg
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    JaneNY wrote:

battery-hens-rows-sm.jpg
    :o:cry: ok ok... no need to make me see the pictures :oops: I'll buy free range.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    JaneNY wrote:

battery-hens-rows-sm.jpg
    :o:cry: ok ok... no need to make me see the pictures :oops: I'll buy free range.

I think photos of this are helpful. This is a rather tame one but it still gets the point across.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    Free Range Eggs for me forever!!!

that looks awful.

Thanks for that.
    Battery cages - in video (just regular video - but still disturbing):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4_R5sGHIGo

Catching chickens in the modern world:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRwNJxk8LrQ

And... for those who eat chicken, please be brave to know this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjhkJUDm ... re=related
    (pardon, but it's narrated by Al Sharpton - but still informative)
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    CJMST3K wrote:

I think photos of this are helpful. This is a rather tame one but it still gets the point across.

The point is I'm getting hungry ;) ..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Battery cages - in video (just regular video - but still disturbing):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4_R5sGHIGo

Catching chickens in the modern world:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRwNJxk8LrQ

And... for those who eat chicken, please be brave to know this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjhkJUDm ... re=related
    (pardon, but it's narrated by Al Sharpton - but still informative)

lol, "KFC..... thats foul".

At first I couldnt figure out why Al Sharpton. Then I was like "ooooohhhhhhhhhhh"
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    There may be reasons more than just diet that are causing you to feel light headed. Loss of breath which could lead to dizziness may be a heart issue. Lethargy could be an iron issue, and that could be remedied with diet, and you can decided which route to go for that. If you are worried about diet, have you gone to a nutritionist? They would know what nutrients you are missing. If you already addressed this throughout the thread. . . sorry :)
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    I have a free-range & organic chicken egg farm. All of the eggs are accounted for, so this week my family had to actually buy eggs from the store! No, they weren't from free-range chickens.
  • ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    At the ripe old age of 14 I decided to become a strict vegetarian. Being a teenage girl and clearly not in control of my diet and existing on the veggies that my mum cooked (the whole meat and 3 veg thing) whereby I just ate the veggie portion, I got quite sick after about 12 months and was diagnosed with anemia after I slept for 3 days solid. My doctor was most unimpressed with me and told me I had to eat meat 3 times a week. I tried. I went back to eating chicken and fish. Fast forward 15 years and my energy was still rather sapped and I got incredibly dizzy and I go have blood tests etc... yep, I'm still anemic. My same doctor looks at me and says: "Are you eating red meat?", I could only answer that I ate chicken and fish.

Needless to say, I try to eat red meat sometimes, but having it out of your diet for so long makes it really hard to go back. I'm very aware of dizzy spells and my iron levels. I eat red meat in the form of bolognese meat sauce or lasagna... I can't deal with steak or sausages. But I'm someone who really needs protein in their diet and I notice within a couple of days if I haven't had enough protein. That being said, I've also read the Omnivores Dilemma and the thought of eating red meat is a wee bit scary.

Re: Soy milk... indeed, not the best thing. Someone else posted to try Almond Milk and I wholeheartedly agree. I always use Almond Milk (being lactose intolerant).
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
    Tone wrote:
    At the ripe old age of 14 I decided to become a strict vegetarian. Being a teenage girl and clearly not in control of my diet and existing on the veggies that my mum cooked (the whole meat and 3 veg thing) whereby I just ate the veggie portion, I got quite sick after about 12 months and was diagnosed with anemia after I slept for 3 days solid. My doctor was most unimpressed with me and told me I had to eat meat 3 times a week. I tried. I went back to eating chicken and fish. Fast forward 15 years and my energy was still rather sapped and I got incredibly dizzy and I go have blood tests etc... yep, I'm still anemic. My same doctor looks at me and says: "Are you eating red meat?", I could only answer that I ate chicken and fish.

Needless to say, I try to eat red meat sometimes, but having it out of your diet for so long makes it really hard to go back. I'm very aware of dizzy spells and my iron levels. I eat red meat in the form of bolognese meat sauce or lasagna... I can't deal with steak or sausages. But I'm someone who really needs protein in their diet and I notice within a couple of days if I haven't had enough protein.

I'm not going to tell you not to eat meat if you feel you want to, but it would be a misconception in most cases, to think that meat must be consumed if you 'really need protein'. We all need a certain amount of protein but it can be obtained without animal products. Tofu, beans/lentils, nuts, nut butters, and grains (quinoa in particular is a complete protein), tempeh are some choices.

I have heard there are some people that need meat and do not dispute it, but remember that doctors are not nutritionists and don't spend a lot of time in medical school on nutrition, so they may be sharing their personal opinion not necessarily based on good knowledge.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    JaneNY wrote:

battery-hens-rows-sm.jpg

aha ok...i knew of those conditions, i have just never heard them referred to as 'battery eggs' before, so thought perhaps it was a euro term i was unfamilar with. yes...that is hideous. :(

oh and i agree...the only reason one might *need* to eat meat is simply b/c they make poor choices on a veggie diet. i was no more healthy as a meat eater or a veg. watching your food intake, monitoring what you put in your body...and most importantly, educating yourself about proper nutrition is the BEST way to insure you meet your body's health requirements. and yes, a nutritionist will know way more than your average MD, by a loooonnng shot. osteopathic doctors, DOs, are far more educated and knowledgeable about nutrition.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    JaneNY wrote:
    I'm not going to tell you not to eat meat if you feel you want to, but it would be a misconception in most cases, to think that meat must be consumed if you 'really need protein'. We all need a certain amount of protein but it can be obtained without animal products. Tofu, beans/lentils, nuts, nut butters, and grains (quinoa in particular is a complete protein), tempeh are some choices.

I have heard there are some people that need meat and do not dispute it, but remember that doctors are not nutritionists and don't spend a lot of time in medical school on nutrition, so they may be sharing their personal opinion not necessarily based on good knowledge.

Honestly, I couldn't even tell you the last time I consumed red meat. My last big anemia attack was about 6 years ago and I have alot of difficulty eating red meat... I hate the smell despite other things. I don't dispute that you can get good protein from beans/lentils etc and I have had periods in my life where I've had a really high diet in those things but, for me, it's just not the same as having some animal protein... I find I will crave it and that tells me something. I'm a big believer in listening to what my body's telling me. Could my diet be better? Absolutely, but I do the best I can.
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    'Not eating meat is a choice, eating meat is instinct.' Dennis Leary

IMO evolution will have its way with vegatarians, its survival of the fittest and its only natural to eat meat. Vegatarians are just eliminating themselves from the gene pool, which is cool by me because to not eat meat is a lame decision.
    #FHP
    Horos wrote:

IMO evolution will have its way with vegatarians, its survival of the fittest and its only natural to eat meat. Vegatarians are just eliminating themselves from the gene pool, which is cool by me because to not eat meat is a lame decision.

I'm a vegetarian who is a really good marksman, and a believer in the death penalty. ...others will die off before I do. :twisted:

I do believe it's "only natural" to eat meat, just as in much of the animal kingdom. It's also "only natural" for man to kill and rape which has happened for presumably millions of years, just like in much of the animal kingdom. Does that make it right? That's subjective, depending on where and how you were brought up. In polite society, it is not accepted to kill and rape, and in my home I have the added decision of not eating animals because of the cruelty involved. ...if someone wants to eat roadkill though, I'm all for it.
  • CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    Horos wrote:

its has little to do with any of that. i could post ten videos showing animal cruelty-which isn't the best way to describe it, more like animal torture on an industrial scale. i won't.

i'll just say that the number one ingredient in all meat products is cruelty. something i'm not going to be a part of.

its a personal choice. if you think its lame, well join the military. or CIA. I hear they're pretty good at torture.
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Do you think he is cute? He was our pet Niki for 12 years.....so nasty! Not your average social pig....but we loved him despite his personality! When we put him down people asked us if we were going to eat him?! :? We would ask back....would you eat your dog?

DSC08831.jpg
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • totaledheadtotaledhead Posts: 197
    I don't think too much about people who eat meat or people who don't. I have friends who are vegetarians and some who are strict vegans, each for their own individual reasons. I think that, if done so correctly, a vegetarian or vegan diet can be the healthiest diet of the lot! But so many people don't substitute the nutrients they lose from not eating meat so they become anaemic or malnourished. I personally chose to eat meat because I like how it tastes. I am aware of the harsh conditions that these animals live in, so I eat meat from my uncle's farm, where the animals are kept free range. I'm sure that still won't appease the Veggies and It's not exactly perfect but it's better than supporting the more cruel companies in the meat industry.
    I personally chose to eat meat because I like how it tastes. I am aware of the harsh conditions that these animals live in, so I eat meat from my uncle's farm, where the animals are kept free range. I'm sure that still won't appease the Veggies and It's not exactly perfect but it's better than supporting the more cruel companies in the meat industry.

Actually, I can appreciate that.

Though I'm a vegetarian with the utmost concern for the animals, if someone chooses to eat animals, I prefer they consume from a relatively more humane source.

I imagine your uncle's farm is a "farm", not an "industrial farm"? The type of place that if you want chicken, you pick up a chicken and place it's body on a wood-stump and cut it's head off quickly? Or is it a factory-farm where mechanical features handle the slaughter?

I think of it as this... I have four nieces. If someone was going to kill one of them, I'd prefer they take them, put their body on a block of wood and simply and quickly cut off their head with a heavy sharp blade in a single pass in 1/4 of a second. I would be much more upset if they were put thru a factory process where they are alive as their bodies are boiled (which is how feathers are removed apparently), or aware and awake as their neck is slit - both of which occur in modern farms (see the youtube video I posted earlier too see this). A chopping block is much more humane.
  • totaledheadtotaledhead Posts: 197
    CJMST3K wrote:
    I personally chose to eat meat because I like how it tastes. I am aware of the harsh conditions that these animals live in, so I eat meat from my uncle's farm, where the animals are kept free range. I'm sure that still won't appease the Veggies and It's not exactly perfect but it's better than supporting the more cruel companies in the meat industry.

Actually, I can appreciate that.

Though I'm a vegetarian with the utmost concern for the animals, if someone chooses to eat animals, I prefer they consume from a relatively more humane source.

I imagine your uncle's farm is a "farm", not an "industrial farm"? The type of place that if you want chicken, you pick up a chicken and place it's body on a wood-stump and cut it's head off quickly? Or is it a factory-farm where mechanical features handle the slaughter?

I think of it as this... I have four nieces. If someone was going to kill one of them, I'd prefer they take them, put their body on a block of wood and simply and quickly cut off their head with a heavy sharp blade in a single pass in 1/4 of a second. I would be much more upset if they were put thru a factory process where they are alive as their bodies are boiled (which is how feathers are removed apparently), or aware and awake as their neck is slit - both of which occur in modern farms (see the youtube video I posted earlier too see this). A chopping block is much more humane.

His farm is just a small country farm. He keeps turkeys and cows. The turkeys are decapitated the way you said, but if i remember it correctly, cos it's been a few years since i've seen it being done, the cows get shot with this like metal gun. It's instantaneous death and from what i remember it's painless.

I like that I know where my meat comes from and the animals are really well taken care of :)
    We chopped the head clean off one of our poultry a few months ago and after witnessing the blood & feathers and nastiness, not to mention the time it took to clean and pluck every last feather (there were still tons left in the wings) and all the clean-up afterward. Blech! I really appreciate the already packaged, cut up chicken thighs I can buy in the grocery store for $0.99 a pound. We did the math on our home grown chicken dinner and that meal cost us about $50!
    from the "believe it or not" show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATz3AdbjyRI
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Horos wrote:

I'm a vegetarian who is a really good marksman, and a believer in the death penalty. ...others will die off before I do. :twisted:

I do believe it's "only natural" to eat meat, just as in much of the animal kingdom. It's also "only natural" for man to kill and rape which has happened for presumably millions of years, just like in much of the animal kingdom. Does that make it right? That's subjective, depending on where and how you were brought up. In polite society, it is not accepted to kill and rape, and in my home I have the added decision of not eating animals because of the cruelty involved. ...if someone wants to eat roadkill though, I'm all for it.
    We are only animals and probably the worst species ever. All of the greatest 'Empires' have regularly practiced murder and rape (Romans, Macedonians, British...). I am not condoning this just pointing out that man is the greatest danger and to this day many murders and rapes continue to go unpunished. We will eventually bring an end to ourselves and I guess what we eat really has nothing to do with it.
    #FHP
    Here is a handy graphic that someone showed to me regarding the numbers of animals killed every day:
    http://www.vegan.com/blog/2009/04/18/slaughterhouse-numbers-infographic/

It is not anything graphic - it is an animated gif. Food for thought.

p.s. pjaddicted, lovely picture of Niki - he looks loved.
    As a stockholder I just voted for McDonalds to use farm fresh eggs (brought up as a recommendation from stockholders). The board recommended against this, so I voted against all of them as well.