why would you HAVE to eat meat?

iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
edited October 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I subscribe to a vegetarian magazine, although I'm not considered a vegetarian. I've always been grossed out by meat but I cook it for my family. I try to eat it and can't finish it or just pick at it. I eats lots of nuts, oatmeal, salad, some veggies and junk food. I never found out why I'm light headed even though I had tests performed. Anyway, I was reading my vegan magazine last night and there was a letter from a woman who was told she had to eat 5 oz of meat daily to get better....she only said she was very ill. Do you suppose she was malnourished? Even though it is going to be hard, I'm going to try eating 5 ounces a day too. Also, the doctor said she had to eat animal protein....would that exclude poultry?
9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
10/10 - Brad in B'more
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I don't know enough about it but my guess would be if you are going to eliminate and entire food group like that (really 2 if you are going vegan because that takes out dairy doesn't it?), then surely you have to take care to supplement the missing nutrients some way. Right?
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    Flagg wrote:
    I don't know enough about it but my guess would be if you are going to eliminate and entire food group like that (really 2 if you are going vegan because that takes out dairy doesn't it?), then surely you have to take care to supplement the missing nutrients some way. Right?

that's what I thought, I thought vegans learn to substitute.
    but i'm not giving up meat, i'm going to try to make myself eat more meat to see if i feel better.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    You don't HAVE to eat meat. Supplement it. Incorporate beans, legumes, and other things like that into your diet...even protein shakes.

A lot of the meat in the States is loaded with pesticides, hormones, etc...unless you kno where your meat is coming from like a local farm or whatever, and let's all admit not all of us do. Having a vegetarian diet can significantly reduce your risk of disease. The European nations has made a good decision in outlawing all hormones being fed to their livestock. It's more expensive, but the quality of the meat is much, much better. It's typical of America to take the cheap way out, adn get the bigger bang for their buck. I just wish we would strongly consider not scientifically altering all of our food.

I enjoy vegetarianism, but I'm new at it. At the beginning you feel a little weak, nauseous, but you will get used to it. and please don't let other peoples view on tofu gross you out. It's substantial, a good source of protein, and if prepared right can taste mighty delicious.

If you choose not to leave meat behind, not a problem. I've always disliked the vegetarians that give the whole practice a bad name by criticizing people who eat meat. It's all about personal choice and preference. If anything, for health reasons just switch to organic foods...veggies, meats, fruits. They even taste better, especially the meat.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    iluvcats wrote:
    Also, the doctor said she had to eat animal protein....would that exclude poultry?

I'm pretty sure chickens are animals..though you may want to double check with the Doc ;) ..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    yeah but veggies get crap sprayed all over them too. so i dont think the 'meat is full of unnatural chemicals so i only eat fruits and veggies' work for me.

its all tainted.
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    While I agree that, generally speaking, most people probably don't have to eat meat, I have a friend who had to eat red meat to treat her anemia. She was constantly light-headed and void of energy due primarily to excessive menstrual bleeding because of fibroids. It was so bad that she would randomly pass out and hit her head on things, which was dangerous. She even had to get iron infusions on a regular basis - sometimes as often as 3 times a week for hours each time. She ultimately had to get a hysterectomy to solve the problem. But, yeah, she had to eat meat.
    dcfaithful wrote:
    You don't HAVE to eat meat. Supplement it. Incorporate beans, legumes, and other things like that into your diet...even protein shakes.

A lot of the meat in the States is loaded with pesticides, hormones, etc...unless you kno where your meat is coming from like a local farm or whatever, and let's all admit not all of us do. Having a vegetarian diet can significantly reduce your risk of disease. The European nations has made a good decision in outlawing all hormones being fed to their livestock. It's more expensive, but the quality of the meat is much, much better. It's typical of America to take the cheap way out, adn get the bigger bang for their buck. I just wish we would strongly consider not scientifically altering all of our food.

I enjoy vegetarianism, but I'm new at it. At the beginning you feel a little weak, nauseous, but you will get used to it. and please don't let other peoples view on tofu gross you out. It's substantial, a good source of protein, and if prepared right can taste mighty delicious.

If you choose not to leave meat behind, not a problem. I've always disliked the vegetarians that give the whole practice a bad name by criticizing people who eat meat. It's all about personal choice and preference. If anything, for health reasons just switch to organic foods...veggies, meats, fruits. They even taste better, especially the meat.

Back in the day, a girlfriend once took me to 'Veggie Heaven' where they served me General Tso 'chicken' made with Tofu..I thought that was just plain wrong and walked out of the place..I was young and dumb but needless to say after fooling around with her without getting anywhere for weeks, I had to dump the crazy vegan chick.. :)
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    We're having an Easter BBQ tomorrow and will be grilling up all sorts of tasty meats..ya'll should come by and get your 5 oz quota in ;) ..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    yeah but veggies get crap sprayed all over them too. so i dont think the 'meat is full of unnatural chemicals so i only eat fruits and veggies' work for me.

its all tainted.

But you do know it's possible to buy all these things that aren't tainted? There is a choice. And I'm not saying "don't eat meat, it's immoral" or any of that garbage...people should make their own choices.

and yeah, I agree with the point made in here as well, that some people do require it for anemia, etc...so if your body requires you to eat meat, then you should. But in some cases people don't have to eat meat.

What's wrong with General Tso 'chicken' w/ tofu? I've had enchiladas and burritos with fake meat and you honestly can't tell the difference if you know how to cook. Ignorance begins to kick in when people say shit like "tofu?! EWWWW that's so gross!" before they even give it a shot. Most of the time if you don't tell people, they don't know they're eating meat subsitutes.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    The Champ wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

Back in the day, a girlfriend once took me to 'Veggie Heaven' where they served me General Tso 'chicken' made with Tofu..I thought that was just plain wrong and walked out of the place..I was young and dumb but needless to say after fooling around with her without getting anywhere for weeks, I had to dump the crazy vegan chick.. :)

Did you try the 'chicken'?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    I HAVE to eat meat, otherwise I'd be really skinny or dead! It's just taste so good to me. Other than mushrooms, I hardly ever eat vegetables. I've always maintain a weight class of 170-185 so I'm not too concern about getting fat either. Health-wise, I'm solid in that area!
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
    dcfaithful wrote:

Yeah, it was all spongy and shit..nothing like chicken, but the sauce was good..anyway, I'm just throwing some wood on the fire here..don't mind me, eat what makes you happy..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    The Champ wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

Yeah, it was all spongy and shit..nothing like chicken, but the sauce was good..anyway, I'm just throwing some wood on the fire here..don't mind me, eat what makes you happy..

No that's cool, I wasn't trying to convert you or anything, LOL. I was just curious if you actually tried it, which seeing you did gives you the right to not like it, ya know? I struggled for a long time with the problem of bashign something before I even tried it. I am just glad I made the correction.

Rock on, General Tso is awesome.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Posts: 3,428
    someone I know once said "if it was good enough for cavemen to eat, it's good enough for me. It obviously was a good decision or I wouldn't be here today"
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,815
    come to NYC and I will take you to lugers, wolfgangs or craft steak

then a stop at katz's deli

then you will understand why people HAVE to have meat
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    edited April 2009
    iluvcats wrote:
    I subscribe to a vegetarian magazine, although I'm not considered a vegetarian. I've always been grossed out by meat but I cook it for my family. I try to eat it and can't finish it or just pick at it. I eats lots of nuts, oatmeal, salad, some veggies and junk food. I never found out why I'm light headed even though I had tests performed. Anyway, I was reading my vegan magazine last night and there was a letter from a woman who was told she had to eat 5 oz of meat daily to get better....she only said she was very ill. Do you suppose she was malnourished? Even though it is going to be hard, I'm going to try eating 5 ounces a day too. Also, the doctor said she had to eat animal protein....would that exclude poultry?

Meat is the main source of iron and protein in most diets. If you're not eating meat, you need to be careful about getting that some other way. As to poultry, chicken is a FANTASTIC source of protein, so that would not exclude poultry, in fact, poultry would be ideal.
    Post edited by soulsinging on
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    This info really helped me make a choice. I think it could help you also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhwXPsTaRgc
    I'll be back
    someone I know once said "if it was good enough for cavemen to eat, it's good enough for me. It obviously was a good decision or I wouldn't be here today"

Cavemen had clean meat...that wasn't fed antibiotics and all other kinds of crazy shit...

It's just a health issue for me, and some what of an issue that I don't really like to eat an animal that lived in the horrible conditions that they do before they get brutally slaughtered.

TO avoid a heated debate, all I'm going to say is that if you look for it, you can find literature and documentation from people who have worked in slaughter-houses. I just think that "shoving salt up a pigs ass and gouging a cows eyes out" for fun before you kill it isn't really for me.

K, I feel that I've said to much...I apologize for going off the deep end, but I guess I can't help it :oops:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:

its all tainted.

But you do know it's possible to buy all these things that aren't tainted? There is a choice. And I'm not saying "don't eat meat, it's immoral" or any of that garbage...people should make their own choices.

and yeah, I agree with the point made in here as well, that some people do require it for anemia, etc...so if your body requires you to eat meat, then you should. But in some cases people don't have to eat meat.

What's wrong with General Tso 'chicken' w/ tofu? I've had enchiladas and burritos with fake meat and you honestly can't tell the difference if you know how to cook. Ignorance begins to kick in when people say shit like "tofu?! EWWWW that's so gross!" before they even give it a shot. Most of the time if you don't tell people, they don't know they're eating meat subsitutes.

Well sure you can, but you can find meat without hormones and additives too. Saying our meat supply has too much crap in it so you went vegetarian makes no sense. If you're going the extra mile on that stuff, you can just as easily do it for meat as well. You're talking about organic vs. factory, not vegetarian vs. omnivore.
    The Champ wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

Well done man... if the chick's gonna be pushing tofu on you, she damn well better be putting out!
    dcfaithful wrote:

its all tainted.

Well sure you can, but you can find meat without hormones and additives too. Saying our meat supply has too much crap in it so you went vegetarian makes no sense. If you're going the extra mile on that stuff, you can just as easily do it for meat as well. You're talking about organic vs. factory, not vegetarian vs. omnivore.

I know you can find meat with no hormones or additives, I stated that earlier...but my choice isn't just organic vs. factory.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:

I know you can find meat with no hormones or additives, I stated that earlier...but my choice isn't just organic vs. factory.

Oh, I know your choice isn't just between the two, I'm just saying that the argument you've been offering about why people should consider cutting meat from their diet is more an argument for people to buy organic than an argument against meat. If you're going to say people should avoid meat becos it has additives, they should drop fruit and veggies too becos they're all covered in pesticide as well. The reasons to avoid eating meat generally have nothing to do with hormones and whatnot.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    The only "meat" I eat is from birds and fish/seafood.

Haven't touched red-meat in over 13 years and will never go back.
    dcfaithful wrote:

Oh, I know your choice isn't just between the two, I'm just saying that the argument you've been offering about why people should consider cutting meat from their diet is more an argument for people to buy organic than an argument against meat. If you're going to say people should avoid meat becos it has additives, they should drop fruit and veggies too becos they're all covered in pesticide as well. The reasons to avoid eating meat generally have nothing to do with hormones and whatnot.

Yeah you're right, I may have got a little off subject. I was just very suprised when I learned that meat, and produce is treated with all these chemicals. I mean, I eat organic (fruits, veggies, etc.) as much as I can for health reasons...and if I can help someone else make that decision for their health, then I'm happy. But I'd NEVER be the person to judge someone because they eat meat, or make them feel like shit because of it. I also wouldn't shove religion down someones throat...which is something that drives me fuckign nuts! :lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    Get_Right wrote:
    come to NYC and I will take you to lugers, wolfgangs or craft steak

then a stop at katz's deli

then you will understand why people HAVE to have meat

They have a steak place too? When I was in NYC last year my friend took me to the 'Wich Craft

It was pretty good, a little pricey, but everything is in NYC :lol:
  • DinghyDogDinghyDog Posts: 587
    edited November 2012
    -
    Post edited by DinghyDog on
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    There are lots of people who can be very healthy and live long lives as vegetarians or vegans, and there are those that just don't do as well. If you don't feel good, you have to find food that you can eat that makes you feel better. I was a veg/vegan for 22 years. By the time I started eating meat again, I too was pretty ill. I tried elimination diets, macrobiotics, gave up coffee, drinking, you name it. Nothing made me feel good until I changed my diet. Since going back on meat, and staying completely away from ALL grain products, I have been fine. I stick to the Paleo way of eating, lean meats/fish, eggs, nuts, veggies and small amounts of fruit. All other foods I eat occasionally, including dairy. My sons and hubby were VERY happy when I started eating meat again.
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Posts: 3,428
    dcfaithful wrote:

Cavemen had clean meat...that wasn't fed antibiotics and all other kinds of crazy shit...

It's just a health issue for me, and some what of an issue that I don't really like to eat an animal that lived in the horrible conditions that they do before they get brutally slaughtered.

TO avoid a heated debate, all I'm going to say is that if you look for it, you can find literature and documentation from people who have worked in slaughter-houses. I just think that "shoving salt up a pigs ass and gouging a cows eyes out" for fun before you kill it isn't really for me.

K, I feel that I've said to much...I apologize for going off the deep end, but I guess I can't help it :oops:

I think you're right...I agree that a lot of meat (and poultry, veggies) are now tainted with hormones/antibiotics/shit....there are alternatives out there like organic, free-range, local, humane, etc...it's more expensive, but at least there ARE alternatives :-)
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
    PJaddicted wrote:
    There are lots of people who can be very healthy and live long lives as vegetarians or vegans, and there are those that just don't do as well. If you don't feel good, you have to find food that you can eat that makes you feel better. I was a veg/vegan for 22 years. By the time I started eating meat again, I too was pretty ill. I tried elimination diets, macrobiotics, gave up coffee, drinking, you name it. Nothing made me feel good until I changed my diet. Since going back on meat, and staying completely away from ALL grain products, I have been fine. I stick to the Paleo way of eating, lean meats/fish, eggs, nuts, veggies and small amounts of fruit. All other foods I eat occasionally, including dairy. My sons and hubby were VERY happy when I started eating meat again.

do you have celiac disease?

I eat way too much dairy.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    dcfaithful wrote:

sometimes I buy meat from our local butcher and supposedly that would mean no preservatives. his prices are actually very reasonable. his hours just are not convenient....but i might cook the meat for my husband and end up throwing mine away. And I do have a protein shake "Whey Delicious" that I mix a half serving of into my oatmeal (with wheat germ.)
    10/10 - Brad in B'more