why would you HAVE to eat meat?

Comments

• senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    As long as you're suplimenting plenty of vitamins and minerals that aren't found in veggies/fruits/nuts/etc, you do not have to eat meat. The minerals and protiens in meat help aid in the bodies ability to absorb certain minerals like iron (form meats and veggies)....which is essential for making red blood cells...which will make you feel tired (body and brain). It's VERY important for children to build up the ability to do this. It makes me cringe a little when parents, who are uneducated vegetarians, have their kids be vegetarians too, without fully knowing what they are doing.

So....be sure to take a really good multi-vitamin....EVERY day. GNC's 'Mega' line is the best i've found. And since you aren't eating meat I would pick up an iron supliment as well. But as always....talk to your doctor first!
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Thought I did, got a biopsy and didn't, I still don't feel good when I eat grains...so I only eat them occasionally. I'm the same age as you...been through so many diets/lifestyles....the only one I feel really good is with Paleo!
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Been a vegan for close to 2 years, vegetarian before that. I also teach 10-13 high intensity aerobic classes per week and feel great. Main thing is you have to be knowledgeable about whatever diet you choose in terms of knowing what your body needs and ensuring you get those things, in whatever form is palatable and acceptable to you.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    Sometimes I feel i want to try to be a vegetarian but I would miss eating steak and hamburgers. I don't think I can give up meat. :oops:
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • DinghyDogDinghyDog Posts: 587
    edited November 2012
    -
    Post edited by DinghyDog on
  • battan1120battan1120 Posts: 310
    Because God put us here to rule over the animals.They eat each other for survival,so man eats animals for survival.Always has always will.You want to be a vegatarian,fine with me,just don't feed me that moralistic shit.
    The bus came by and I got on!!!!!
  • whitepantswhitepants Posts: 727
    I haven't eaten red meat or pork since 1994. I eat poultry and fish but that's the extent. And as a female, I developed iron deficiency problems and wound up having a hysterectomy in 2007 (best thing ever! - should be elective surgery). I just took vitamin supplements and iron pills during that stage, now, I don't need any vitamins at all, but I eat fruits and vegetables and beans, and I'm stronger than ever now as I can donate blood every three months on schedule. :mrgreen: I accomplish this all w/out red meat and pork.
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    PJaddicted wrote:
    Thought I did, got a biopsy and didn't, I still don't feel good when I eat grains...so I only eat them occasionally. I'm the same age as you...been through so many diets/lifestyles....the only one I feel really good is with Paleo!

i've seen your pic and you don't look my age. are you sure? i'm 49!

as for those mentioning iron deficiencies, that was my first thought due to my light headedness. my blood work was fine.

yesterday i ate fried onions with fried 85 percent fattening ground beef by itself before i put spaghetti sauce it in for my husband. sometimes even though i buy skinless, boneless chicken breasts, it tastes greasy to me and i throw it away. i ate my 5 ounces of meat definitely yesterday.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,815
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    come to NYC and I will take you to lugers, wolfgangs or craft steak

then a stop at katz's deli

then you will understand why people HAVE to have meat

They have a steak place too? When I was in NYC last year my friend took me to the 'Wich Craft

It was pretty good, a little pricey, but everything is in NYC :lol:
    yuk yuk

:lol:
  • flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
    battan1120 wrote:
    Because God put us here to rule over the animals.They eat each other for survival,so man eats animals for survival.Always has always will.You want to be a vegatarian,fine with me,just don't feed me that moralistic shit.

I didnt know I was ruler of anything !! God WANTS me to eat meat ?!! :lol::lol: :roll:
    battan1120 wrote:

you sound a little bitter in your last sentence. I seem to recall you told us you had a silent heart attack. I hope you are feeling better meanwhile watching your cholesterol (which meat has.)
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    battan1120 wrote:
    Because God put us here to rule over the animals.

Jesus Christ that's one of the dumbest things I ever read here.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    dcfaithful wrote:
    someone I know once said "if it was good enough for cavemen to eat, it's good enough for me. It obviously was a good decision or I wouldn't be here today"

Cavemen had clean meat...that wasn't fed antibiotics and all other kinds of crazy shit...

It's just a health issue for me, and some what of an issue that I don't really like to eat an animal that lived in the horrible conditions that they do before they get brutally slaughtered.

TO avoid a heated debate, all I'm going to say is that if you look for it, you can find literature and documentation from people who have worked in slaughter-houses. I just think that "shoving salt up a pigs ass and gouging a cows eyes out" for fun before you kill it isn't really for me.

K, I feel that I've said to much...I apologize for going off the deep end, but I guess I can't help it :oops:

I think you're right...I agree that a lot of meat (and poultry, veggies) are now tainted with hormones/antibiotics/shit....there are alternatives out there like organic, free-range, local, humane, etc...it's more expensive, but at least there ARE alternatives :-)

Overall, I think that is what I appreciate the most. If you want to have a choice in that matter, you can.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    battan1120 wrote:
    Because God put us here to rule over the animals.

Jesus Christ that's one of the dumbest things I ever read here.

+1
    +1
    +1,000!

You should read 'Ishmael', battan.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    Perhaps it would be better if we not only ate hormone-free meat, but also ate meat only in moderation. Our society tends to feel like we need meat with every meal, and the bigger the steak the better! I don't think I could give up eating meat (love it too much and not a good enough cook to make good tofu), but I'm sure I would be healthier if I ate hormone-free meat, ate less meat in general, and - I almost forgot - stopped eating it fried. I must say, I do admire vegetarians (the healthy ones, at least).
  • HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    I do it to piss off the sanctimonious bunch among vegetarians. Love the ones who just go about eating their meals and don't mind when they invite me to join them for lunch and I chow down on my BLT. Love the ones who don't expect any more than 5 choices at restaurants that clearly target meateaters. Evangelical vegetarians are just irritating as evangelical religious types.

But the ones who constantly bitch at me about my habits, or go into a steakhouse expecting a huge variety of vegetarian dishes? Just leave me alone, please.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    About 2 weeks ago my 12 year old daughter went vegetarian, so recently I've done a little reading on soy & soy products. Most soy found in tofu or soy milk is BAD FOR YOU. Soy is only good for you when it's unfermented, as found in soy sauce. So, I don't allow soy in my house.
    Therefore, it's been pretty hard trying to make dinner for my family with one vegetarian. In general my family has meat, green veg & beans or brown rice for dinner. If she has dinner with us that means she's basically eating pan-roasted asparagus and some rice. What kind of life is that??? How can a person be full without a meat product? We don't eat pasta, potatoes or bread products so that rules out a lot of vegetarian-friendly dishes.
    Oh, and I told her what gelatin is so now she won't take part in the s'mores-around-the-campfire tradition
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • battan1120battan1120 Posts: 310
    About 2 weeks ago my 12 year old daughter went vegetarian, so recently I've done a little reading on soy & soy products. Most soy found in tofu or soy milk is BAD FOR YOU. Soy is only good for you when it's unfermented, as found in soy sauce. So, I don't allow soy in my house.
    Therefore, it's been pretty hard trying to make dinner for my family with one vegetarian. In general my family has meat, green veg & beans or brown rice for dinner. If she has dinner with us that means she's basically eating pan-roasted asparagus and some rice. What kind of life is that??? How can a person be full without a meat product? We don't eat pasta, potatoes or bread products so that rules out a lot of vegetarian-friendly dishes.
    Oh, and I told her what gelatin is so now she won't take part in the s'mores-around-the-campfire tradition
    12 years old does she have a job?She's made it this far with meat.I have 6 kids they eat whats put on the table.12 is a little young to be making a decision like that.
    The bus came by and I got on!!!!!
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    WOW! I have been sick for a long time. My new doc recently told me to eat NO animal products for the next month. NO ANIMAL PRODUCTS mean just that, poultry, fish, dairy, whey all incuded.
    He did some expensive test first, then we will redo after the month. The test shows all the nutrients, minerals, vitamins, etc I have in me. My cholesteral is high also. So, we are trying this. He didn't give me a diet to follow. He has left it up to me to figure out. I have to make sure I get fat in my diet 'cuz I only weigh 117 and I am 5'7". Thats a result of being sick. He thinks the no animal product diet will help heal my colon, lower my cholesterol. I totaly quit eating 6 months ago. It hurt so much to eat anything. I have been living on Ensure.
    I am stunned I have been able to survive on just Ensure, but I have. I just started adding fruit. So far, so good. No pain yet.
    I find it hard to believe we have to have meat. My mom always told me, and I believe it, that we aren't really designed to eat meat and it takes a long time for us to digest it. It sits in there digesting a long time. Ugh! She says thats why we feel sluggish sometimes.
    We can get all the things our bodies need through other things and not animals.
    When my bf is cooking meat it smells so bad to me that I lose any appetite I might have had. Like he is making hamburgers right now, yuck! It stinks!
    My colon got better when I quit eating all but Ensure. So far its still painless.
    I had 3 choices. Surgery, pain management, like via a nerve block, or this.
    This is it.
    EDIT:
    Oh and supplement shakes have dairy products in them. Also, I am anemic. The doc says, and I know, I can get Iron from other sources. I also know that we need vitamin C in order to absorb iron.
    Save room for dessert!
    battan1120 wrote:
    12 years old does she have a job?She's made it this far with meat.I have 6 kids they eat whats put on the table.12 is a little young to be making a decision like that.

Oh, I totally agree with you! I told her she's still a child and not old enough to make that decision and I reminded her that last year at this time her favorite meal was pot roast. The problem is that her father (who I share custody with) is a vegetarian, and I can't force meat down her throat unless I want to end up back in court. If it were either of my two younger daughters, from my current marriage, we wouldn't allow them to be vegetarians.
    Heatherj43 wrote:
    WOW! I have been sick for a long time. My new doc recently told me to eat NO animal products for the next month. NO ANIMAL PRODUCTS mean just that, poultry, fish, dairy, whey all incuded.
    He did some expensive test first, then we will redo after the month. The test shows all the nutrients, minerals, vitamins, etc I have in me. My cholesteral is high also. So, we are trying this. He didn't give me a diet to follow. He has left it up to me to figure out. I have to make sure I get fat in my diet 'cuz I only weigh 117 and I am 5'7". Thats a result of being sick. He thinks the no animal product diet will help heal my colon, lower my cholesterol. I totaly quit eating 6 months ago. It hurt so much to eat anything. I have been living on Ensure.
    I am stunned I have been able to survive on just Ensure, but I have. I just started adding fruit. So far, so good. No pain yet.
    I find it hard to believe we have to have meat. My mom always told me, and I believe it, that we aren't really designed to eat meat and it takes a long time for us to digest it. It sits in there digesting a long time. Ugh! She says thats why we feel sluggish sometimes.
    We can get all the things our bodies need through other things and not animals.
    When my bf is cooking meat it smells so bad to me that I lose any appetite I might have had. Like he is making hamburgers right now, yuck! It stinks!
    My colon got better when I quit eating all but Ensure. So far its still painless.
    I had 3 choices. Surgery, pain management, like via a nerve block, or this.
    This is it.
    EDIT:
    Oh and supplement shakes have dairy products in them. Also, I am anemic. The doc says, and I know, I can get Iron from other sources. I also know that we need vitamin C in order to absorb iron.

i agree it stinks when it is cooked. i too heard it is hard to digest. in my original post i was trying to figure out what illness this person had (in the magazine editorial) that she was ordered to eat meat. maybe she was too thin with a vitamin B deficiency.

oatmeal and spinach have iron in them.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    If it were either of my two younger daughters, from my current marriage, we wouldn't allow them to be vegetarians.

You wouldn't "allow" them to be vegetarians? Why?

I don't have kids so I may be out of line here, but shouldn't they be the ones to make that decision?
    Hinn wrote:
    I do it to piss off the sanctimonious bunch among vegetarians. Love the ones who just go about eating their meals and don't mind when they invite me to join them for lunch and I chow down on my BLT. Love the ones who don't expect any more than 5 choices at restaurants that clearly target meateaters. Evangelical vegetarians are just irritating as evangelical religious types.

But the ones who constantly bitch at me about my habits, or go into a steakhouse expecting a huge variety of vegetarian dishes? Just leave me alone, please.

I agree. I've never tried to guilt someone into trying vegetarianism. That just isn't right. Just like religion, as you mentioned. People should be vegetarians because they want to, and it's something they're passionate about (of course if your health requires it, that may be a different story.)

I myself have also never cared for the radical vegetarians who feel that they need to change the world and make everybody feel guilty because they eat meat.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    edited November 2012
    -
    I hope the 12 year old vegetarian is drinking milk or she may get this. My mom grew up in a poor family with limited food choices. She hated milk and refused to drink it. She has many health problems including osteoporosis.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteoporosis#Prevention
    I've seen a CAT scan pic of a bone with it and it looks like it has holes in it!
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    There is too much meat being consumed, including by myself, and it's not being handled totally safely, but a juicy steak tastes too good to not be essential.

We need to cut down on beef production, for environmental and health reasons, and that means there'd be less of it, but that's a good thing for all us carnivores. Less is more.
    Commy wrote:

You wouldn't "allow" them to be vegetarians? Why?

I don't have kids so I may be out of line here, but shouldn't they be the ones to make that decision?

I believe a vegetarian diet to be unhealthy. Obviously, that is my opinion. So if one of my two youngest daughters told me she wanted to be a vegetarian while she is still an adolescent the answer would be no. She can make adult decisions when she's an adult...
    iluvcats wrote:
    I hope the 12 year old vegetarian is drinking milk or she may get this. My mom grew up in a poor family with limited food choices. She hated milk and refused to drink it. She has many health problems including osteoporosis.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteoporosis#Prevention
    I've seen a CAT scan pic of a bone with it and it looks like it has holes in it!

Nope, her father has brainwashed her to believe that soymilk is far superior to cow's milk, so she doesn't drink cow's milk. She did drink it regularly until about 6 months ago. Hopefully she'll be able to retain some of that calcium!
    edited November 2012
    -
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868
    not sure if the question has been answered or not, but you would have to eat meat if you have a sever iron defficiency.

There's a term called bio availability of food which describes your bodies natural ability to absorb specific nutrients based on your diet.

Vegetarians have a low bioavailability of iron, meaning that even if they do eat iron rich foods, their body struggles with absorbing the iron, which is why it is very important for vegetarians to either take iron supplements or select foods that are rich in iron for every meal.

Additionally females tend to be lacking in iron more than males because of the blood los during the muenstral cycle.

So if someone becomes defficient enough in their iron supply they may be ordered to eat meat by their doctors.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg