why would you HAVE to eat meat?

Comments

• gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    You don't HAVE to eat meat. But you need to supplement the protein in some way. Just because we have the teeth for it doesn't mean we have to. I understand the reasons behind wanting to become a vegetarian, I just prefer to eat meat too. But the vast majority of us eat too much of it. Most Asians have it right. Make it more like the side order and eat larger portions of fruit and vegetables. The more "organic", the better. If you can afford and find grass fed meats and eggs, do it. You'll probably outlive the rest of us and not rely on a coctail of prescription drugs to keep you going.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    my cousin lost 25 lbs when he stopped eating meat and went off some medication.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    iluvcats wrote:

i've lost weight and still eat meat. #justsayin
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    81 wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:

I lost weight just by cutting back portion sizes, processed foods and increasing my veggie, fruit and protein consumption.

In Montana, I had steak, a rib-eye...cooked rare. It was DELICIOUS.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:

I lost weight just by cutting back portion sizes, processed foods and increasing my veggie, fruit and protein consumption.

In Montana, I had steak, a rib-eye...cooked rare. It was DELICIOUS.

and p90x

;):lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

and p90x

:lol: ok, that too.

Meat isn't horrible, eat organic (tastes better anyway). I won't go into boring detail, but protein is a better 'energy' for your body than carbs, fat, or sugar.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:

and p90x

protein is a better 'energy' for your body than carbs, fat, or sugar.

That's what I keep trying to tell the wife...

;)
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:

and p90x

;)

that only contains 150mg of protein...to be beneficial, one would need to consume 1g of protein per kg of lean body mass. So the average woman would have to consume 8 gallons for one day's worth of protein. :|

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    that only contains 150mg of protein...to be beneficial, one would need to consume 1g of protein per kg of lean body mass. So the average woman would have to consume 8 gallons for one day's worth of protein. :|

just wow

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

just wow

does that belong in the 'you learn something new everyday' thread?

- Christopher McCandless
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Meat just kinda grosses me out sometimes. Red meat is pretty much a no-no for me and if anything's on the bone forget about it, I won't eat it. I eat chicken for the protein but if I decided to go total vegetarian, I wouldn't miss meat one bit. I actually prefer tofu most of the time :lol:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    RKCNDY wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

;)

And?
    I am grossed out by eating meat, it began when I was a child and it's getting worse.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i think some people can easily go without meat ... some - not so much ... i've had 3 good friends go back to eating meat after 20+ years without it simply because they couldn't figure it out without it ... they were constantly ill and tired ... having said that - i have friends who are still going strong but the majority do eat fish/seafood ...
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Meat just kinda grosses me out sometimes. Red meat is pretty much a no-no for me and if anything's on the bone forget about it, I won't eat it. I eat chicken for the protein but if I decided to go total vegetarian, I wouldn't miss meat one bit. I actually prefer tofu most of the time :lol:

I thought you were all over the b-dubs?

chicken wings=meat on the bone

:?:

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

I love bdubs for the football and beer!! :lol: Usually I get a salad when I'm there but every now and again I'll get the boneless chicken ;)

*Edit - and the cheesy potatoes....mmmmmmmmm
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    polaris_x wrote:
    i think some people can easily go without meat ... some - not so much ... i've had 3 good friends go back to eating meat after 20+ years without it simply because they couldn't figure it out without it ... they were constantly ill and tired ... having said that - i have friends who are still going strong but the majority do eat fish/seafood ...

Yeah I think it's all about educating yourself. I have quite a few vegetarian and vegan friends. Many of them have been doing it for quite a long time and know what supplements they need, etc. It got trendy for a bit and a lot of the kids trying it out didn't last because they just started eating crap and stopped eating meat.
    the flavour is in the bone ... (not trying to add to the 150 mg post) ... :lol:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Yeah I think it's all about educating yourself. I have quite a few vegetarian and vegan friends. Many of them have been doing it for quite a long time and know what supplements they need, etc. It got trendy for a bit and a lot of the kids trying it out didn't last because they just started eating crap and stopped eating meat.

i think it comes down to physiology as well because the 3 I was referring to read everything and visited doctors ... they had supplements and all that stuff ... for some - you just can't beat nature ...
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

I love bdubs for the football and beer!! :lol: Usually I get a salad when I'm there but every now and again I'll get the boneless chicken ;)

ooohhhh! cheezy potatoes! I'll have to get those next time!

- Christopher McCandless
    polaris_x wrote:
    the flavour is in the fat ... (not trying to add to the 150 mg post) ... :lol:

fixed
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    polaris_x wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

i think it comes down to physiology as well because the 3 I was referring to read everything and visited doctors ... they had supplements and all that stuff ... for some - you just can't beat nature ...

Yep that's probably true. How interesting!
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

ooohhhh! cheezy potatoes! I'll have to get those next time!

YES!!! :D I could live off of cheesy potatoes for the rest of my life, I'm pretty sure of it! :lol:
    I'm not sick all the time. I was when I used to smoke or when I was around smoke all the time.
    I was slightly anemic, last year. I started taking iron supplements. I saw an improvement in my lab results, we can see the results of our physicals from my dr's office and you can compare past test results.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    81 wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:

do you mean your babyfood in a jar contains meat?
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    iluvcats wrote:
    I'm not sick all the time. I was when I used to smoke or when I was around smoke all the time.
    I was slightly anemic, last year. I started taking iron supplements. I saw an improvement in my lab results, we can see the results of our physicals from my dr's office and you can compare past test results.

hey ... i hope my post didn't come across as something it wasn't ... for sure people can live healthy lifestyles with a vegetarian or vegan diet ... i think for some people tho - it's very difficult because of physiology ...
    81 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    the flavour is in the fat ... (not trying to add to the 150 mg post) ... :lol:

fixed

that's true too ... but the bone has a lot too and it contains some good healthy stuff too ... hence why stocks are made from bones ...
    no I didn't find it negative at all
    polaris_x wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:

hey ... i hope my post didn't come across as something it wasn't ... for sure people can live healthy lifestyles with a vegetarian or vegan diet ... i think for some people tho - it's very difficult because of physiology ...
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

just wow

trying to figure out why that info came to her so readily :think:
    norm wrote:
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

just wow

trying to figure out why that info came to her so readily :think:

I've seen a movie like that once...