Options

pearl jam should learn from oasis

Comments

• Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    DD164485 wrote:
    demetrios wrote:
    Pearl Jam should NEVER learn from that garbage of a band called Oasis.

Definitely Maybe and (What's the Story) Morning Glory are better than half of Pearl Jam's albums.

"Well...That's just like your opinion man".

See, now THERE is a response I can cope with! Dude references are always cool :) And opinion is opinion, I feel that. It's people like Crazy and PJ that think one's opinion about music is somehow indicative of one's innate value as a human that is absurd.
  • Options
    DD164485DD164485 Posts: 149
    I don't think anyone said they should do the exact same dates and venues and play the exact same setlists as they did in 91...
    i think pearl jam should something similar. they're making a big deal about reissuing Ten. why not retrace their first tour of the west coast or something of the sort? how amazing would that be?
    [/quote][/quote]

My point about Lilly Allen is that Oasis popularity in the Uk means dick...just like Lilly Allen's.

Finally...You are out of your fucking mind if you think Oasis is just as popular...or more popular than Pearl Jam.

Granted Oasis is a BIG ACT in their own right, but they have never obtained the level of sucess that Pearl Jam has obtained and the Oasis fanbase is nowhere near as large as Pearl Jam's to this day.

I've heard that the 10 club membership base alone is somewhere around 500,000 or higher.

Keep in mind this doesn't include casual fans that don't necessarily buy the albums...but go do buy the tickets to see the band live in concert.

When you talk about a club tour...You're talking about alot of fish trying to get into a very small pond.
  • Options
    DD164485 wrote:
    I don't think anyone said they should do the exact same dates and venues and play the exact same setlists as they did in 91...
    i think pearl jam should something similar. they're making a big deal about reissuing Ten. why not retrace their first tour of the west coast or something of the sort? how amazing would that be?

My point about Lilly Allen is that Oasis popularity in the Uk means dick...just like Lilly Allen's.

Granted Oasis is a BIG ACT in their own right, but they have never obtained the level of sucess that Pearl Jam has obtained and the Oasis fanbase is nowhere near as large as Pearl Jam's to this day.

I've heard that the 10 club membership base alone is somewhere around 500,000 or higher.

Keep in mind this doesn't include casual fans that don't necessarily buy the albums...but go do buy the tickets to see the band live in concert.

When you talk about a club tour...You're talking about alot of fish trying to get into a very small pond
  • Options
    I feel that. It's people like Crazy and PJ that think one's opinion about music is somehow indicative of one's innate value as a human that is absurd.

it's not indicative of your value as a human..it's indicative of your taste..or lack of

and yeah..like the other guy said...if you think Oasis has a bigger world wide fan base than Pearl Jam you're on fucking crack!!
  • Options
    Oasis interviews are beyond funny now, yeah listening to them slagging off more talented band and artists then themselves was entertaining to start with but when you consider they haven't released a half decent album since Morning Glory it's kinda sad.

Most Oasis albums are better than PJ''s now that's funny, you must of listened to some unheard mysterious Oasis back cat in another dimension, how anyone can think they no more than a 3rd rate pub act is beyond me.

They know they'll never top their debut, which is now starting to sound like some huge fluke when you consider the standard of what they've released after it.

Everyone goes on about the Stone Roses and how we were denied more great albums, if they'd continued you probably would have got a similar scenario, it's a good thing for their legacy it was only 2, consider the 3rd after that Zep rip off that was Second Coming.

Oasis won't be afforded such a legacy, if they continue they'll be come our generations Status Quo.
  • Options
    if they continue they'll be come our generations Status Quo.

Ouch!!
    That's harsh.

I sure hope they dont' become "This Generations Status Quo"

This generation certainly does not need another band like that.
  • Options
    I feel that. It's people like Crazy and PJ that think one's opinion about music is somehow indicative of one's innate value as a human that is absurd.

it's not indicative of your value as a human..it's indicative of your taste..or lack of

and yeah..like the other guy said...if you think Oasis has a bigger world wide fan base than Pearl Jam you're on fucking crack!!

No, I think Oasis has just as big of a fanbase in the UK as Pearl Jam does here, proportionally speaking. Here, PJ plays arenas and mostly sells them out. There, Oasis plays stadiums and always sells them out. Oasis managed to do a club tour there. Pearl Jam could do one here. The only significant difference is that Oasis doesn't have the kind of fans that feel entitled to be at every show they play... THAT is the only thing that might cause problems with the idea... the fact that many PJ fans would try to go to ever show and say "fuck you" to the people that get no tickets as a result. But this could be addressed by saying that only 10c members can buy tickets and each member can only get one pair to one show. It's doable. There are just more obsessive whiners here that would have a huge problem with that set up.
  • Options
    Most Oasis albums are better than PJ''s now that's funny.

Who said that?
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    But this could be addressed by saying that only 10c members can buy tickets and each member can only get one pair to one show.

The Jamily will have no part of this. Next thing you know, the beloved posters will be limited to one each or taken away. Pearl Jam may as well retire in the Jamily's eyes if you do this.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    so fucking LIL Wayne and 50 cent have more fans right now than PJ & Oasis...does that mean they are better??

where did i say that Stevie Wonder? i said that Oasis are huge concert draws in the UK and Europe... AND IF THEY CAN DO A FUCKING UK ONLY CLUB TOUR THEN SO CAN PJ IN THE STATES...... whats so hard to grasp about that?

i never said anyone was better or anything... this thread is about whether PJ can do a club tour in teh same vein as Oasis did in the UK..

i'll bullet point it for ease

1. Oasis sell more concert tickets in Europe than PJ had ever done... and yet they did a UK only club tour
    2. PJ sell more concert tickets in the US than Oasis have ever done... so logically they can do a fucking club tour.

obviously that simple concept of a like for like situation is to difficult for 5 american PJ fans to actually comprehend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9i50foDI5I

:roll:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    My take away from Dunkman's post is that JET are a better band than Pearl Jam.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    i never said anyone was better or anything... this thread is about whether PJ can do a club tour in teh same vein as Oasis did in the UK..

1. Oasis sell more concert tickets in Europe than PJ had ever done... and yet they did a UK only club tour
    2. PJ sell more concert tickets in the US than Oasis have ever done... so logically they can do a fucking club tour.

obviously that simple concept of a like for like situation is to difficult for 5 american PJ fans to actually comprehend.

i know what the fuck you were saying..i don't need you explain shit to me ok smart ass.
  • Options
    fanch75 wrote:
    My take away from Dunkman's post is that JET are a better band than Pearl Jam.

hahahahahahahahahahah........good one! :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options

i know its hard to grasp dude... what with them not being american and shit.. but here goes... Oasis have sold more albums outside of their own country than Pearl Jam have sold outside of america.

Oasis have played to more people outside of their own country than Pearl Jam have done.

Oasis play Wembley Stadium... PJ play Wembley Arena... which is about 1/4 the size.

Oasis sold out MSG in under one hour... PJ don't even sell-out Florida.

i like PJ more... but perhaps being insular means you can't see the bigger picture... Oasis have a bigger worldwide fanbase... and thats proven by both sales and concert sell-out rates OUTSIDE of their own respective countries.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:

i know what the fuck you were saying..i don't need you explain shit to me ok smart ass.

then why the dumb 50 cent references?
  • Options
    oasis sucks at making music
  • Options
    DD164485 wrote:
    Finally...You are out of your fucking mind if you think Oasis is just as popular...or more popular than Pearl Jam.

When you talk about a club tour...You're talking about alot of fish trying to get into a very small pond.

complete nonsense i'm afraid dude...

take the last 4 PJ albums total sales worldwide...

Binaural (2000)
    Estimation mondiale : 2.100.000

Riot Act (2002)
    Estimation mondiale : 1.500.000

Lost Dogs (2003)
    Estimation mondiale : 600.000

Pearl Jam (2006)
    Estimation mondiale : 1.700.000

5.9 million all in for the last 4 albums.

Oasis

Heathen Chemistry (2002)
    Estimation Mondiale : 2.800.000

Don't Believe The Truth (2005)
    Estimation Mondiale : 2.800.000

Stop The Clocks (2006)
    Estimation Mondiale : 2.000.000

Dig Out Your Soul (2008)
    Estimation Mondiale : 2.900.00

which is 10.5 million worldwide from last 4 albums
  • Options
    Pearl Jam wrote:

killer retort... you have slain me... i must bow to your mastery
  • Options
    oasis is a bad band
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    i know its hard to grasp dude... what with them not being american and shit.. but here goes... Oasis have sold more albums outside of their own country than Pearl Jam have sold outside of america.

Oasis have played to more people outside of their own country than Pearl Jam have done.

Oasis play Wembley Stadium... PJ play Wembley Arena... which is about 1/4 the size.

i like PJ more... but perhaps being insular means you can't see the bigger picture... Oasis have a bigger worldwide fanbase... and thats proven by both sales and concert sell-out rates OUTSIDE of their own respective countries.

PJ has sold over 60 million records world wide..Oasis 50 million...that means 10+ million more Pearl Jam albums were sold...so how does Oasis have more fans??
    Florida is full of old ladies,red necks and illegal aliens so it's not exactly PJ turf..i bet Oasis couldn't sell out in Florida either!so the point is irrelevant.

as far as their popularity in Europe goes...who cares..everyone knows you don't make it big in rock unless you are embraced by America..you know, the place where rock was created!! :mrgreen:

Pearl Jam in the early '90s were wayyyy bigger than Oasis..we are talking record breaking record sales for all 3 of their first albums..if they didn't get into that ticketmaster shit (something those Oasis douchebags would of never considered for a moment) and just kept making 10/VS type of albums they could have been even bigger.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    then why the dumb 50 cent references?

I was asking you if you think that the number of fans/record sales determines the greatness of a band...that's all.
  • Options

****News Flash**** Oasis couldn't sell out in Florida either.

Pearl Jam has sold out MSG many times over.
    2 nights in a row the last tour and both under an hour.

Oasis is not a bigger band than Pearl Jam worldwide...not by a long shot
  • Options
    Pearl Jam wrote:

The childish recourse of someone who has realized the facts simply are not on his side.

Richard Hayden: I think your brain has a thick candy shell.
    Tommy: Your... Your brain has the shell on it.

"PJ has sold over 60 million records world wide..Oasis 50 million...that means 10+ million more Pearl Jam albums were sold...so how does Oasis have more fans??"

1. He was referring to international fans... meaning outside one's home country. Oasis has sold more albums outside the UK than PJ has sold outside the US.

2. PJ has released about 70 bootlegs that count to those sales, as well as a double disc b-sides (I believe each such sale counts as 2). So that inflates the count.

3. I know thinking is hard, but Oasis is as big (if not bigger) in the UK as Pearl Jam is in the US. If Oasis can do a club tour in the UK, Pearl Jam could do one in the US.

4. You guys are doing a wonderful job proving my Trekkie/tool comment. Someone makes a statement that the music universe might not revolve around PJ and you're all crying into your poster collection saying "nu-uh! they're the hugest bestest greatest band ever!"
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,492
    whoa! this thread is still continuing? mama mia! :shock:
  • Options
    Pearl Jam wrote:

The childish recourse of someone who has realized the facts simply are not on his side.

First, I have not contributed anything to the who's bigger debate, nor the should Pearl Jam do a club tour nonsense. Second, I don't need any facts other than hearing Oasis's music and thinking it sucks. Third, you sound like the exact same thing your saying the people on this board are, only for Oasis. I could torch you boy on several of your so called points, like trying to put down the fans that waited in line all day at the Vic, but you were the one who photographed your braclet and kept the photo for the rest of your life. You think your shit don't stink, that's your problem. I can and will continue to say Oasis sucks and you can continue to call us all tools. In the end, I feel sorry for you.
  • Options
    Pearl Jam wrote:
    Pearl Jam wrote:

First, I have not contributed anything to the who's bigger debate, nor the should Pearl Jam do a club tour nonsense. Second, I don't need any facts other than hearing Oasis's music and thinking it sucks. Third, you sound like the exact same thing your saying the people on this board are, only for Oasis. I could torch you boy on several of your so called points, like trying to put down the fans that waited in line all day at the Vic, but you were the one who photographed your braclet and kept the photo for the rest of your life. You think your shit don't stink, that's your problem. I can and will continue to say Oasis sucks and you can continue to call us all tools. In the end, I feel sorry for you.

Actually, I have the bracelet in a book, along with the stubs for every concert I've ever gone to, PJ or otherwise. They make for nice souvenirs. I took the picture on my computer last night to demonstrate because your lame attempts at acting like I'm some sort of non-fan because I happen to listen to music that is NOT Pearl Jam were annoying. I own one PJ poster, bought at the first show I ever attended. I only have the bootlegs of shows I've been to and I don't own the Live at the Garden dvd because it's a comparatively weak dvd. I don't even have the Gorge box set because I don't need 7 discs of live PJ on top of the 15 I already have. If you do, more power to you. Personally, there's too much good music in the world to spend all my time listening obsessively and exclusively to one band playing the same songs at 200 different concerts.

Oasis isn't my favorite band, Pearl Jam is. Oasis isn't even second. Shit, they may not even be top 5 depending on how I'm feeling. But the point stands. Many, many, many bands have released albums better than Pearl Jam... from the Beatles and Wilco and Neil Young to Oasis and, yes, Buckcherry. PJ are great, they're my fav, and they're one of the best bands ever. But they aren't flawless and it's not blasphemy to listen to and appreciate other things. Nor is it a bad idea for the band to consider doing what other bands are doing when they're good ideas... like a club tour.

The fact that you've all gotten so uptight and outraged about someone that likes this album or that album better than a given PJ album is what makes a tool. The fact that one has 200 bootlegs, 90 posters, and listens to only live PJ makes one a Trekkie. And if you care to post a handful of albums that you like better than a given PJ album, your allies right now will turn on your and rip you to pieces for daring to like anything better than a PJ cd, just as you've been doing to me.

This isn't about Oasis, it's about the generally psychotic nature of PJ fans that feel PJ is the be-all end-all of the music world and that nothing should ever be listened to aside from bootlegs.
  • Options

Actually, I have the bracelet in a book, along with the stubs for every concert I've ever gone to, PJ or otherwise. They make for nice souvenirs. I took the picture on my computer last night to demonstrate because your lame attempts at acting like I'm some sort of non-fan because I happen to listen to music that is NOT Pearl Jam were annoying. I own one PJ poster, bought at the first show I ever attended. I only have the bootlegs of shows I've been to and I don't own the Live at the Garden dvd because it's a comparatively weak dvd. I don't even have the Gorge box set because I don't need 7 discs of live PJ on top of the 15 I already have. If you do, more power to you. Personally, there's too much good music in the world to spend all my time listening obsessively and exclusively to one band playing the same songs at 200 different concerts.

Oasis isn't my favorite band, Pearl Jam is. Oasis isn't even second. Shit, they may not even be top 5 depending on how I'm feeling. But the point stands. Many, many, many bands have released albums better than Pearl Jam... from the Beatles and Wilco and Neil Young to Oasis and, yes, Buckcherry. PJ are great, they're my fav, and they're one of the best bands ever. But they aren't flawless and it's not blasphemy to listen to and appreciate other things. Nor is it a bad idea for the band to consider doing what other bands are doing when they're good ideas... like a club tour.

Well your good at putting words in other people's mouth atleast. Pearl Jam is not the only band I listen to. I just think Oasis sucks. Also even you can't name Buckcherry without just putting the name, you gotta add "yes even" with it. I think your getting me and some of the others in this thread mixed up. I am not doing anything other than saying Oasis sucks. Not comparing statistics on who sells out in under 27 minutes in Florida. Oasis is a bad band that's all I'm saying.
  • Options
    DD164485 wrote:

****News Flash**** Oasis couldn't sell out in Florida either.

news flash... i never said they did sell out Florida... but Oasis will and do sell out every single vast venue they play in europe/australia/japan/south america... but crucially Oasis sell out every single venue they perform in their own country.. and my point was that PJ can't even do that these days.

DD164485 wrote:
    Pearl Jam has sold out MSG many times over.
    2 nights in a row the last tour and both under an hour.

as they should... they are a great live band and they are an american band playing a home gig... the fact that a band as seemingly loathed as Oasis can do it means their worldwide status must be pretty high... a point which you seem to ignore... and i know why... I'm a UK based PJ fan.. i visit this forum a lot, so i know what PJ do and dont do in terms of sales and concert attendances... i'm also a fan of Oasis since day one... so i know what they do around the globe and at home... and i know they are a bigger band in terms of worldwide sales outside their own home nation than PJ... and they sell out bigger venues and faster than that of PJ... thats unquestionable fact.

the oasis haters on here are all from America... and you seem aggreived that a band you dislike might be a bigger band than PJ? why? who fucking cares? Coldplay outsell both PJ and Oasis by 2 to 1... PJ, and this is hard to stomach i know, simply do not have the worldwide appeal they both could have and should have...

DD164485 wrote:
    Oasis is not a bigger band than Pearl Jam worldwide...not by a long shot

that snow is white.... no its black... no its white... no its black.

they simply are... they sell more, they sell more of their recent albums, they sell out gigs faster.. they sell out bigger gigs and much faster than PJ... they are much bigger.

and i think you said earlier that PJ had 500,000 people in its 10club.... not even close amigo... and if you can't get that info right then there is no point discussing this.
  • Options
    dunk my man..i know what you're saying..Oasis may have more fans in Europe than PJ..but you agree PJ is a better band. COOL..end of story

soulsinging..you say that Oasis has multiple Albums better than Riot Act and i say FUCK NO!! no fucking way can Oasis hang with PJ when it comes to musicianship!!! I'm no fan boy chump that doesn't listen to anything but PJ..I'm willing to go as far to say i probably listen to more different genres of music than a majority of people on here...so save that Trekkie bullshit..and the only one i see acting like a tool is you! by calling other people tools because they agree that Oasis sucks.
  • Options
    PJRock75PJRock75 Posts: 868
    PJRock75 wrote:
    Hey, not picking sides here in this little squabble you two are having...I don't even care enough to read what is going on between you two, but I saw your link and clicked and noticed your Star Wars poster in the background. IMO, to have a Star Wars poster on your wall makes you equal to a trekkie which you were using in a derogitory manner......shame on you.

Now, I was at the Vic (in my top 5 shows of all time by the way) and I don't remember a pepper guy either....but then again, I was drinking all day and it was 2 years ago already and don't sweat the small stuff...I mean remember the small stuff.

That poster cost $5 outside a Disney ride in Florida, it's an old souvenir from when I was a kid. How much do the Trekkie fans round here spend on their PJ posters as grown adults?

Oh, if it's for nostalgic reasons then it's ok then....wait, isn't that what concert posters are for too? And it still doesn't change the fact that you have a STAR WARS poster on your wall (as an adult), no matter how much it cost (was that even an issue...that's irrelevant). Now that I think of it, Star wars fans are more Trekkie than Trekkies are :ugeek:

Once again, I don't mean to come off like I'm picking on you (you probably a good guy), but I still feel like I had to correct any hypocracy that I noticed.
    "If you want a friend, feed any animal." - JA
    "Don't let it get you down, you know, still give your love, just give it away...I love singin' that part." - EV
This discussion has been closed.