Introducing your 2009 Chicago Cubs!!!!!

Comments

• slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    mca47 wrote:
    'Bout f'n time!

Eh. We still f'n suck.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Bottom line is that the NL Central is average this year. That being said, I think the Cubs will be right there at the end. A-Ram coming back will have a huge impact on the lineup and the guys will come around. D-Lee is heating up, Soriano will bust out of the slump, and Bradley, well he still sucks. See what a win against the White Sox does for my confidence! Its gonna be wierd seeing Wood in another Uniform this weekend.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Bottom line is that the NL Central is average this year. That being said, I think the Cubs will be right there at the end. A-Ram coming back will have a huge impact on the lineup and the guys will come around. D-Lee is heating up, Soriano will bust out of the slump, and Bradley, well he still sucks. See what a win against the White Sox does for my confidence! Its gonna be wierd seeing Wood in another Uniform this weekend.

You're right. The Cubs being in the worst division in baseball def. has it perks! LOL!

I miss A-Ram! I never realized how much influence he had on the team until I started going back and looking at his numbers. I always saw him as "top 3" but shit, the guy lead almost ever freakin' category offensively!

I do think him coming back is a solid boost to the offense and the morale of the team. Thank god the NL Central sucks to bad otherwise we'd be done already!
  • mca47 wrote:
    Bottom line is that the NL Central is average this year. That being said, I think the Cubs will be right there at the end. A-Ram coming back will have a huge impact on the lineup and the guys will come around. D-Lee is heating up, Soriano will bust out of the slump, and Bradley, well he still sucks. See what a win against the White Sox does for my confidence! Its gonna be wierd seeing Wood in another Uniform this weekend.

You're right. The Cubs being in the worst division in baseball def. has it perks! LOL!

I miss A-Ram! I never realized how much influence he had on the team until I started going back and looking at his numbers. I always saw him as "top 3" but shit, the guy lead almost ever freakin' category offensively!

I do think him coming back is a solid boost to the offense and the morale of the team. Thank god the NL Central sucks to bad otherwise we'd be done already!

Exactly 100 games left, they probably need to go 60-40 to make the playoffs, sounds impossible right now but if they can put a big streak together they will be right there in late Sept.
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    How is the weather there? Will there be baseball today?
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,435
    thunderDAN wrote:
    How is the weather there? Will there be baseball today?
    rain
    rain
    rain

and more rain.....

dont see them playing ball today.....but i could be wrong.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    Now that was a hell of a game! (too bad it wasn't on TV here :( )

Down 7, and they claw all the way back to take it!

This game should give the Cubs offense some much needed confidence!

Good to see Lee swinging the bat better.

Not sure about Harden though. That guy is serving them up!
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    mca47 wrote:
    Now that was a hell of a game! (too bad it wasn't on TV here :( )

Down 7, and they claw all the way back to take it!

This game should give the Cubs offense some much needed confidence!

Good to see Lee swinging the bat better.

Not sure about Harden though. That guy is serving them up!

WOW, just got back from two great walk off winner games! Hopefully this is the boost this team is looking for to go on a nice little run. Couldn't believe we were 7 down and came back, unreal!! It was nice seeing Wood and DRo back in town.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • seven extra inning games this month...nuts
    Come back Cubbies with another walk off winner! Let's bust out the brooms today!
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
    Glad Wells finally got a W.

Long time overdue!
  • Tough road trip ahead this week, I think this will tell us alot about where they stand.
    Tough road trip ahead this week, I think this will tell us alot about where they stand.

Yup, and then a huge homestand to take us to the break. If we can be within 3 games at the break I'll be feeling good. It'd be huge if we can take 3 of 4 from MIL and STL in that homestand before the break. This roadtrip should be tough, DET is good, and we always now Cubs Sox will be crazy.
  • pureoc wrote:
    Tough road trip ahead this week, I think this will tell us alot about where they stand.

Yup, and then a huge homestand to take us to the break. If we can be within 3 games at the break I'll be feeling good. It'd be huge if we can take 3 of 4 from MIL and STL in that homestand before the break. This roadtrip should be tough, DET is good, and we always now Cubs Sox will be crazy.

They have really struggled on the road this year. I still say Hendry needs to go get a 2nd Baseman that can hit.

They have really struggled on the road this year. I still say Hendry needs to go get a 2nd Baseman that can hit.

I agree. Fontenot, Scales, Miles, Blanco....just not cutting it.
    They need someone with a ave. higher than .225 hahaha!

Too bad Johnson couldn't play 2B! Actually, knowing him he probably could!
  • mca47 wrote:

I agree. Fontenot, Scales, Miles, Blanco....just not cutting it.
    They need someone with a ave. higher than .225 hahaha!

Too bad Johnson couldn't play 2B! Actually, knowing him he probably could!

Any chance that the Brian Roberts deal happens. Seems like that name always comes up, would love to have him or F. Sanchez. Pirates fans would riot if he got traded too.
    Fricken 10 hits and not a single run!

Pathetic!
    Kevin Gregg sucks some serious ass!!!!

They have to stop putting him in there!

Not sure what was a dumber pitch...
    The Zumaya change-up right down the middle or Kevin Gregg's low 80's hanging slider.

F!
  • Yeah, he is fucking garbage. Just when you think this team is turning the corner another glaring weakness exposed.
    Yeah, he is fucking garbage. Just when you think this team is turning the corner another glaring weakness exposed.

Agreed. I thought this team was finally playing to what they are CAPABLE of, but then they go shit themselves, well our piece of shit closers blows the game for us. They have proved again they are nothing more than an average team. DAMMIT!!!
    Soriano CANNOT BE THE LEADOFF GUY ANYMORE!!!!!!!
    Terrible ave., terrible OBP (which is IMO the most important feature of a leadoff guy)

They need to go after a 2B!!!
    We have NO options for 2B right now. Ugh!

Reed Johnson needs to start more in either LF or CF.
    Fukudome sucks bigtime ass! Johnson needs to start at least 60-70% of the games.
    mca47 wrote:
    Terrible ave., terrible OBP (which is IMO the most important feature of a leadoff guy)

Fukudome sucks bigtime ass! Johnson needs to start at least 60-70% of the games.

Agreed, but sadly it probably won't happen beacuse those ass clowns make too much money to be benched for an extended period of time. I don't give a rats ass how much money they make, if they play like shit, bench their ass!
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    pureoc wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

Agreed, but sadly it probably won't happen beacuse those ass clowns make too much money to be benched for an extended period of time. I don't give a rats ass how much money they make, if they play like shit, bench their ass!

Agreed. Gotta give Jim Leyland of the Tigers credit, Magglio Ordonez has been slumping all season and he benched him for a while. Didn't do shit when they put him back in last night, it will be interesting to see if he plays tonight. Bring on game 2!

Agreed. Gotta give Jim Leyland of the Tigers credit, Magglio Ordonez has been slumping all season and he benched him for a while. Didn't do shit when they put him back in last night, it will be interesting to see if he plays tonight. Bring on game 2!

Yeah, gotta give props to Leyland for doing that.

I've always hated Ordonez! Mostly because when he was playing for the Sox, he'd absolutely DESTROY the Cubs. Hahahaha!

Sometimes I think it takes a good benching in order to get a player to get back in the swing of things.
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280

The other side to that coin, which they have been reporting like crazy for the last few weeks in Detroit (not sure about nationally though) is that Maggs is owed like $14 million if he gets a certain amount of at bats, so I think that, along with his slumping, had a lot to do with why he was pulled, and why he was reinserted in the No. 7 spot. If he doesn't get on a roll here, I could see the Tigers releasing him to avoid paying that $14 mil. They have so much dead money tied up into guys like Willis, Sheffield and Nate Robertson it is ridiculous. Like you said, it should be interesting.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    milarso wrote:

The other side to that coin, which they have been reporting like crazy for the last few weeks in Detroit (not sure about nationally though) is that Maggs is owed like $14 million if he gets a certain amount of at bats, so I think that, along with his slumping, had a lot to do with why he was pulled, and why he was reinserted in the No. 7 spot. If he doesn't get on a roll here, I could see the Tigers releasing him to avoid paying that $14 mil. They have so much dead money tied up into guys like Willis, Sheffield and Nate Robertson it is ridiculous. Like you said, it should be interesting.

I like to think Leyland's not so sketchy he'd bench him to avoid that money payout. But Magglio hasn't been producing much lately and deserved the bench. I truly hope he picks things up, he's always been one of my favorite Tigers. They are taking a lot of hits on dead weight though. Do they have to keep paying Sheffield next season though?
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280

I like to think Leyland's not so sketchy he'd bench him to avoid that money payout. But Magglio hasn't been producing much lately and deserved the bench. I truly hope he picks things up, he's always been one of my favorite Tigers. They are taking a lot of hits on dead weight though. Do they have to keep paying Sheffield next season though?

I would imagine that since it's a $14 million decision, it's not coming from Leyland. It's probably coming from the Pizza Man himself. But that's all conjecture. He just needs to find his stroke and prove he's worth it. The Tigers are playing well right now, but they are also an on the fence team in a shitty division. A 2006 form Maggs puts them over the top.
    I don't think they have to pay Sheff any money next year, but it was big hit this year.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • Trade Fontenot, Marshall, and/or Fox for Brian Roberts. Fox will always have a hard time playing in the NL because he sucks as a fielder but he would make a great DH. Marshall could be a good 2/3 starter in the Baltimore rotation. I love playing GM this time of year, none of the things I suggest will ever happen though.
    Trade Fontenot, Marshall, and/or Fox for Brian Roberts. Fox will always have a hard time playing in the NL because he sucks as a fielder but he would make a great DH. Marshall could be a good 2/3 starter in the Baltimore rotation. I love playing GM this time of year, none of the things I suggest will ever happen though.

I don't know what will happen, but I know they better do something cause if they keep throwing out the same clowns they have everyday they won't be more than a .500 team, and that won't get them to the playoffs.
    Ugh!

That is all.