Introducing your 2009 Chicago Cubs!!!!!

Comments

• SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,435
    this team has the word 'COLLAPSE" written all over it.................
    I am a wise man....

hehehehehehehehehe..............
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    Milton Bradley is a BUM!!!!!
    I am a wise man.............
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    ...Another interesting article from the Trib!

Perfect time for Cubs to waive bye-bye to Carlos Zambrano
    Phil Rogers | On Baseball
    June 29, 2009

As Lou Piniella was saying on Friday, enough's enough.

Get Carlos Zambrano out of here, even if the Cubs have to give him away. He's not the guy you want as the ace of a curse-busting team, and at this point, it's wishful thinking that he'll ever mature into that guy.

Proving that I did not attend Kellogg, Wharton or even the Acme School of Business, I offer this proposition for Jim Hendry: First thing Monday morning, put Zambrano on waivers. If anyone claims him and the $62.75 million left on his contract, which runs through 2012, immediately trade him for whatever is being offered, from a bag of balls to a 32-year-old minor-leaguer.

Because Hendry gave Zambrano a full no-trade clause in a 2007 contract extension, Zambrano can choose: Either go where he's being dealt, waving goodbye to Wrigley Field, or block the trade and deal with the knowledge that you're playing for a team that believes it can live without you.

What a show Zambrano put on Sunday at U.S. Cellular Field.

Given the Cubs' sorry display of the previous two days, when Piniella called Milton Bradley "a piece of [bleep]" and then got upset that the confidentiality of the clubhouse had been breached, allegedly by an unknown White Sox employee, the setting called for professionalism.

Unfortunately for the North Side drama queens, their ace once again reported for work wearing size 30 shoes and a red rubber ball on his nose. Zambrano pitched badly and lost his cool for about the zillionth time, venting his frustrations on Sox hitters en route to a 6-0 loss.

Zambrano clearly drilled Dewayne Wise in the butt on the first pitch after he had sniffed out a suicide squeeze attempt but threw wildly past Geovany Soto, allowing rookie Chris Getz to steal home. Home plate umpire Brian Runge should have ejected Zambrano, as it looked to me like the second time he had intentionally drilled a Sox hitter.

He also ricocheted a pitch off Scott Podsednik's rear end in the third inning. The motivation here wasn't nearly as clear, but Sox players believe he was angry about either Podsednik's four-hit game Saturday or, more likely, his unorthodox dance toward the front of the batter's box during a pitcher's delivery.

Sox manager Ozzie Guillen played Zambrano like a Stradivarius after Podsednik was hit.

He let Zambrano throw repeatedly to first, holding Podsednik close, and never gave him the steal sign. He hoped a distracted Zambrano would hang a pitch to Alexei Ramirez or Jermaine Dye, and that's exactly what Zambrano did, with Ramirez drilling a two-run homer on a 1-2 pitch.

Zambrano then unraveled like, well, like he often does.

The sequence that allowed the Sox to add on to a 3-0 lead in the sixth was classic. Zambrano's instincts were good enough to anticipate a suicide squeeze with Getz on third and Wise, the No. 9 hitter , batting. He just couldn't execute. Soto had no chance to catch a fastball that sailed over the right-handed batter's box. Fuming, Zambrano hit Wise with the next pitch.

"It was a cutter that cut too much," he claimed later.

He offered an even stronger defense when asked if Podsednik was also hit with a cut fastball. "Yeah, cutter," said Zambrano, who allowed five runs in 5 1/3 innings. "The ball cut a lot. I don't want to put Podsednik on base. I'm not crazy. Nobody wants to have Podsednik on base."

Zambrano had warmed up for the predictably high-energy start with a war of words with Sox pitching coach Don Cooper, who had been critical of Zambrano's on-field meltdown on May 27. He tried to make a joke of Cooper's 1-6 big-league record and bragged about his no-hitter.

Then, as usual, he went out and did not deliver.

There are many reasons that a Cubs' team with more than $140 million invested in payroll is in fourth place in the National League Central, and one of them is a front-runner, not a difference-maker.

The Cubs are 0-5 in Zambrano's starts in the playoffs, being outscored 31-15. We'll dismiss the 2003 NL Championship Series as old news and blame Piniella for lifting him when he was in a 1-1 game against Brandon Webb in the 2007 playoff opener, but his pitching had as much to do with the ugly Game 2 loss to Los Angeles last year as did the four infield errors.

Hendry had a chance to let Zambrano walk as a free agent after 2007, the season in which he beat up catcher Michael Barrett during a game at Wrigley, but injuries to Mark Prior and Kerry Wood gave Zambrano a hammer.

Too bad the one he now swings makes funny noises, like the one Moe favored when whacking Larry and Curly.
  • Release Zambrano?? Come on, thats nonsense
    Release Zambrano?? Come on, thats nonsense

I don't necessarily agree with it, I just found it to be an interesting article.

One thing I do side with the author is Z's inability to ever do well in a big game, and it taking soooo little to get him off "his game".

Def. one of the best pitchers in the game, but also def. not a "gamer".
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    mca47 wrote:

I don't necessarily agree with it, I just found it to be an interesting article.

One thing I do side with the author is Z's inability to ever do well in a big game, and it taking soooo little to get him off "his game".

Def. one of the best pitchers in the game, but also def. not a "gamer".

I agree with the "big game" comment, however, it's impossible for me to want this team to release a guy who I witnessed throw a no hitter.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
    I would trade Zambrano in an instant...

He has 8 years in the majors...he has never won 20 games in a season.....he is a headcase....he has had minor arm problems(minor usually turns to major)....The Cubs would/could get some QUALITY players if you traded Zambrano....

What have the Cubs done in the 8 years Zambrano has been with the team???

Thats right...

Not a damn thing..........

TRADE HIM!!!!

He is the only player on the Cubs that can actually be traded.....

NOBODY would take Fukudumbass and his contract....
    NOBODY would take Sorryano and his contract.....
    NOBODY would take Derrick Lee and his contract.................
    NOBODY would take Dempster and his contract..................
    NOBODY would take Milton Bradley and his contract..................

The CUBS need to win NOW or they are going to be FUCKED for the next 3-5 years.....
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761

He has 8 years in the majors...he has never won 20 games in a season.....he is a headcase....he has had minor arm problems(minor usually turns to major)....The Cubs would/could get some QUALITY players if you traded Zambrano....

Thats right...

TRADE HIM!!!!

The CUBS need to win NOW or they are going to be FUCKED for the next 3-5 years.....

You're absolutely right Speedy. If anyone is to blame (besides the players), it is Jim Hendry. These contracts are so backloaded in pay that he has backed the Cubs into a corner where they are basically stuck with these guys for quite some time. No one is going to take any of these guys.

Thats right...

TRADE HIM!!!!

You're absolutely right Speedy. If anyone is to blame (besides the players), it is Jim Hendry. These contracts are so backloaded in pay that he has backed the Cubs into a corner where they are basically stuck with these guys for quite some time. No one is going to take any of these guys.
    Had Hendry not signed Dempster ...the fans would have been pissed...
    Hendry signing Milton Bradley was just PLAIN STUPID!!!!!
    Hendry outbidded everyone for SORRYANO...by $40 million ...that was just PLAIN STUPID!!!!!!

But right now im more pissed off at Pinella....

Sorryano should be batting 6th-7th......END OF STORY!!!!!
    Milton Bradley should be on the bench...END OF STORY!!!!
    Dempster should be given the closer role.....with Marshall being the 5th starter......with Kevin Gregg selling cotton candy in the bleachers.....END OF STORY!!!!!
    I'm not even sure Sorriano should be batting at all. I think his offensive numbers are so bad he should be riding the pine. What are you getting out of playing him? Defense? Not at all. He's got a decent arm at times, but everytime he does that stupid hop I want him to fall down and hurt himself until he learns how to catch a fly ball properly.

I'm a Cards fan, but I hate seeing teams backed into this type of situation by stupid front office moves. I bitch a lot about the Cardinals ownership not spending money when they have it...but I would rather be in our situation than the Cubs are in.
    I'm not even sure Sorriano should be batting at all. I think his offensive numbers are so bad he should be riding the pine. What are you getting out of playing him? Defense? Not at all. He's got a decent arm at times, but everytime he does that stupid hop I want him to fall down and hurt himself until he learns how to catch a fly ball properly.

I'm a Cards fan, but I hate seeing teams backed into this type of situation by stupid front office moves. I bitch a lot about the Cardinals ownership not spending money when they have it...but I would rather be in our situation than the Cubs are in.
    When Ramirez comes back(If he is healthy....that a BIG IF!!!!)

The Cubs can still win this division....
    I can see Lily..Harden...Zambrano...and Wells....all pitching consistantly for the remainder of the year...

I can see Theriot leading off...and doing what is expected of a leadoff-man...Just get on fucking base...and steal a few bases .....and get yourself in scoring position....

I can see Ramirez....Lee....and even Sorryano(he is way OVER-DUE) driving in enough runs to win games....

But Milton Bradley needs to spend the rest of the year on the bench....
    Fox and Hoffpauir need to be given a chance to get some at bats........
    Marmol needs to be able to just throw fucking strikes.....Batters are hitting .185 off this guy.....but he cant fucking throw consistant strikes.....He walks just as many guys as he strikes out....

And if Kevin Gregg blows a few more games....They need to give the closer role back to Dempster.....I dont give a fuck that Dempster won 17 games as a starter last year....I dont give a fuck that they signed him for a ton of money......If Gregg cant come in and close games....Then give the job to Dempster....
    Hendry outbidded everyone for SORRYANO...by $40 million ...that was just PLAIN STUPID!!!!!!

Dempster should be given the closer role.....with Marshall being the 5th starter......with Kevin Gregg selling cotton candy in the bleachers.....END OF STORY!!!!!

I agree with ya' about Lou.
    The guy has become far too passive in his managing.

-Soriano, or any other guy hitting .230 should NEVER be hitting lead-off!!! You're right, if they insist on playing him he should be 6-7.
    -Bradley should now be deemed "outfield utility player". Come off the bench to pinch hit with an occasional start.
    -I disagree about Dempster. He hasn't looked that sharp this year, but he should still be the 4 or 5 guy IMO.

In fact I really can't blame any of our starters this year. Their numbers are still pretty good, outside of Harden who I'm certain will come around. Shit, who would have ever thought Wells would be one of our best starters this year?!?!

I am sooooo sick of Marmol-Gregg.
    Don't get me wrong, I like Marmol but he is no where near being a set-up or a closer until he learns how to throw a strike.
    Gregg can go F himself. I'm at the point where I'd be happy to see ANY of the Cubs relievers grab the ball in the 9th! They should pick names out of a hat if they have to!
    mca47 wrote:

I agree with ya' about Lou.
    The guy has become far too passive in his managing.

-Soriano, or any other guy hitting .230 should NEVER be hitting lead-off!!! You're right, if they insist on playing him he should be 6-7.
    -Bradley should now be deemed "outfield utility player". Come off the bench to pinch hit with an occasional start.
    -I disagree about Dempster. He hasn't looked that sharp this year, but he should still be the 4 or 5 guy IMO.

In fact I really can't blame any of our starters this year. Their numbers are still pretty good, outside of Harden who I'm certain will come around. Shit, who would have ever thought Wells would be one of our best starters this year?!?!

I am sooooo sick of Marmol-Gregg.
    Don't get me wrong, I like Marmol but he is no where near being a set-up or a closer until he learns how to throw a strike.
    Gregg can go F himself. I'm at the point where I'd be happy to see ANY of the Cubs relievers grab the ball in the 9th! They should pick names out of a hat if they have to!
    That is why I say give the closer role to Dempster....Has his arm been over-used the last 1 1/2 years???? maybe...

Our starting pitching is just fine....whats wrong with having.....

Zambrano
    Lilly
    Harden
    Wells
    Marshall

With Dempster as the closer(less wear and tear on his arm)....and Dempster is put back in to the starting rotation next year, after the Cubs sign yet another closer in the offseason.....
    I don't think you'll win any playoff series with Zambrano as your #1. You just can't depend on the guy. There's no way he should be getting top 10 pitcher money.
    I was actually thinking of getting up Friday.....paying a ticket broker $120 for 2 tickets in the upper deck.....and watching the Cubs/Milwaukee....

Im glad a was able to talk Cubs baseball here for the last hour.....because I have come to my senses....

Im not going to give those assholes $1.00 of my fucking hard earned money.....
    I don't think you'll win any playoff series with Zambrano as your #1. You just can't depend on the guy. There's no way he should be getting top 10 pitcher money.

You're right.

Sadly.

As I mentioned before, Z is not a gamer.
    If the Cubs were to start the playoffs right now Lilly would easily be my #1.
    I was actually thinking of getting up Friday.....paying a ticket broker $120 for 2 tickets in the upper deck.....and watching the Cubs/Milwaukee....

Im glad a was able to talk Cubs baseball here for the last hour.....because I have come to my senses....

Im not going to give those assholes $1.00 of my fucking hard earned money.....

LOL!!!

Good move Speedy!

:lol:

I'm still trying to make it back for a game at Wrigley this year, but I'm not so sure....

Would be the first time in 20-some years I didn't go to at least one Cubs home game.
  • The problem is not Zambrano, or most of their pitching staff for that matter. This staff as a whole is 6th in the majors in ERA, 3rd in runs allowed, 6th in strikeouts, 3rd in Batting average against, and 1st in quality starts! You DO NOT move Big Z, thats a ridiculous idea. He is an uncontrollable emotional wreck sometimes, but alot of that is frustration from losing. When he is on he is as good as anyone in the bigs. I agree that Gregg is a piece of shit, but they have enough good pitching to move some guys around. I dont disagree with moving Demp to the closer role either. The problem with this team is hitting! EVERYONE in their lineup is underachieving and I think that things will be much different once Ramirez gets back. Look what Pay-Rod did for the Yankees when he returned, they staring hitting the crap out of the ball. I think they need to make a few adjustments (Bradley has to go, quality 2nd Baseman) and then stick with what they have. Hendry has made some terrible decisions this year and if it does not work then you can clean house in the offseason (hopefully new ownership is in place by then). This team is only 3.5 games back and they will be adding more than most before the trade deadline in the form of Ramirez returning. The season is not even half over yet, long way to go.
    Once again the Cubs throw up a goose egg.

FUCK!
    Let's take a look at this...

Hitters AB R H RBI BB SO #P AVG OBP
    A Soriano LF 3 0 0 0 0 1 11 .230 .296
    K Fukudome CF 4 0 0 0 0 1 14 .256 .377
    D Lee 1B 4 0 1 0 0 2 13 .283 .364
    J Fox 3B 4 0 0 0 0 0 12 .321 .350
    M Hoffpauir RF 4 0 0 0 0 1 15 .250 .293
    G Soto C 3 0 2 0 1 1 17 .231 .340
    M Fontenot 2B 4 0 1 0 0 2 13 .220 .303
    R Theriot SS 3 0 1 0 0 1 13 .283 .341
    T Lilly P 2 0 0 0 0 1 13 .088 .114
    a-M Bradley PH-CF
    1 0 1 0 0 0 1 .242 .355

Sorry-ano: Another 0-fer. .296 OBP now. FOR A LEAD-OFF GUY!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:
    Fuck-I-Suck: Sucks!

Good to see Bradley not starting!!!

I hate this f'n team!!!
    Wells is a beast!
  • SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
    Fuld needs to lead off during this Milwaukee series....Sorry ano can hit 8th
    Sawyer wrote:

Biggest series of the year starting tonight. Would be huge to take 3/4 or sweep. I'll be there tonight, can't wait, GO CUBS!!
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
    pureoc wrote:
    Sawyer wrote:

Biggest series of the year starting tonight. Would be huge to take 3/4 or sweep. I'll be there tonight, can't wait, GO CUBS!!
    Yeah, we need to take this series!

But knowing the Cubs, they'll probably get swept. :lol::cry:
    So it looks like Lee is seeing the ball pretty well! :D
    7 RBIs so far tonight!

Fuld in the leadoff spot is looking good!
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Nice win.

That last strike call was BS.
  • Nice win.

LOL! Yes it was. But I'll take it!
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Nice win.

LOL! Yes it was. But I'll take it!

Glad we agree. :D
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    Glad Soto is starting to come around.

My fantasy team thanks him.
    NERDS!
    mca47 wrote:
    So it looks like Lee is seeing the ball pretty well! :D
    7 RBIs so far tonight!

Fuld in the leadoff spot is looking good!

Yes, nice game from D Lee, nice W as well. A few too many Old Style's tonight but oh well. Need to take this series, no excuse!!! Interesting how well we played without that overpaid piece of shit in LF!!