*****The Official 2009 Philadelphia Eagles Thread*****

1212223242527»

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,451
    crazypjfan wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    i honestly thought the Eagles would play much better - no doubt the Cowboys put a whipping on us good 2 weeks in a row. The better team this year clearly was the Cowboys - lots can happen before next year though including the Eagles getting their best defensive player back. Should be very interesting 2 NFC games next week for sure though.

I am not sure that Arizona's D can handle the Saints. Especially if they play like they did against GB(minus the Int return in OT)

agree - can they make the Over high enough for this game? If Warner plays like he did yesterday these teams are going to be in the 40s again. Brees is going to rip them apart so it's just a matter of how much Warner can get them. I think the Cowboys game will be much more defensive - turnovers will be huge.
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Flagg wrote:
    As a Cowboy fan, McNabb no longer scares me. He used to. And last year he did somewhat, especially in that last game. But he had his worst games against Dallas this year (and Oakland) and he is only getting older next year, which will be what, year 12 of the Reid/McNabb era?

If I was an Eagles fan, I would want a change at coach and QB and I would want it now.

Jeagler what u have to relieve is that the TO year was amazing B-west was a beast we had productive players on the O then. He choked then and he chokes now,don't get me wrong like i've written 50 times in this thread 5 is great, a hall of famer imo but change is needed. And since Reid signed a new contract that leaves 5 as the one who has to go. He did have a good year this season but I LIKED what i saw from Kolb he is a free agent of some sort i believe now as well. Theres no way he's gonna stay here as a backup to 5 which leads them to having to make a real tough decision. Keep 5 who is old and declining or lock up the qb u drafted to replace him to me it's a tough decision that has to be made.

i've already said i would be fine if that is the direction they went. but you made a few mistakes here.
    1-kolb's not a free agent. all 3 qb's have 1 year remaining on their contracts.
    2-you said mcnabb had a good year. last year was not good nor was the previous two. hence: he's not declining.
    3-i pin the super bowl loss more on andy reid and the defense failing to make adjustments at the half. he did throw for over 300 yards and 3 tds in that game. plus we were a touchdown favorite and loss by 3. mcnabb shares in the blame but tough to say he choked in that game.

look: i'm glad what you saw from kolb. fact remains he played against one of the worst defenses in the league and had a great game. he threw for a lot of yards against the saints but also committed two god awful and crucial turnovers that led to 14 points. and he looked dreadful against a good defense last year. people love think the grass is always greener...it's not.

if you're a good qb you can play well into your mid to late 30's as we've seen these past few years with multiple examples. if it's here or somewhere else, i still think you'll see mcnabb put up solid numbers somewhere.

still...the biggest reason we lost these two games is not mcnabb (even considering how awful he was). the defense gave up 58 points in 6 days. kinda think that should be our bigger focus right now but that's just me.
    1. You're correct i thought Kolb was going into free agency my bad.
    2. He is declining imo,he is still playing decent football and i'm sure the numbers will say he had a good year but anyone with 2 or 4 eyes can tell he's declining.
    3. 5 is more to blame with the super bowl loss 3 ints and bad ones at that KILLED us.
    When i look at Kolb i see aaron rodgers, and he looked like he had great chemistary with d-jack. The game against the ravens is a rediclious example to use. Throw a guy with no experience in against a Def with Rex Ryan killing everyone at Baltimore with no prep because it was at halftime. Piss poor example and if i remeber correct he moved them done the field only to throw the int to ed reed in the endzone. Is the grass always greener not always but if u have good water it might sprout up sooner then later. I could take an 8-8 year with kolb because i truly believe he will be that much better after it.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,632
    edited January 2010

i've already said i would be fine if that is the direction they went. but you made a few mistakes here.
    1-kolb's not a free agent. all 3 qb's have 1 year remaining on their contracts.
    2-you said mcnabb had a good year. last year was not good nor was the previous two. hence: he's not declining.
    3-i pin the super bowl loss more on andy reid and the defense failing to make adjustments at the half. he did throw for over 300 yards and 3 tds in that game. plus we were a touchdown favorite and loss by 3. mcnabb shares in the blame but tough to say he choked in that game.

look: i'm glad what you saw from kolb. fact remains he played against one of the worst defenses in the league and had a great game. he threw for a lot of yards against the saints but also committed two god awful and crucial turnovers that led to 14 points. and he looked dreadful against a good defense last year. people love think the grass is always greener...it's not.

if you're a good qb you can play well into your mid to late 30's as we've seen these past few years with multiple examples. if it's here or somewhere else, i still think you'll see mcnabb put up solid numbers somewhere.

still...the biggest reason we lost these two games is not mcnabb (even considering how awful he was). the defense gave up 58 points in 6 days. kinda think that should be our bigger focus right now but that's just me.
    1. You're correct i thought Kolb was going into free agency my bad.
    2. He is declining imo,he is still playing decent football and i'm sure the numbers will say he had a good year but anyone with 2 or 4 eyes can tell he's declining.
    3. 5 is more to blame with the super bowl loss 3 ints and bad ones at that KILLED us.
    When i look at Kolb i see aaron rodgers, and he looked like he had great chemistary with d-jack. The game against the ravens is a rediclious example to use. Throw a guy with no experience in against a Def with Rex Ryan killing everyone at Baltimore with no prep because it was at halftime. Piss poor example and if i remeber correct he moved them done the field only to throw the int to ed reed in the endzone. Is the grass always greener not always but if u have good water it might sprout up sooner then later. I could take an 8-8 year with kolb because i truly believe he will be that much better after it.

what?!?! come on man. you look at kolb and see aaron rodgers???? you just want to see aaron rogers. you're basically saying based on 10 quarters of play against mostly bad defensive teams, you see a pro bowl quarterback. that's an insanely outrageous comment to make.

i'm curious to see what we have in him. but to call him a pro bowler based upon such a limited amount of playing time is nuts. if we build our defense back up, though, hopefully he can manage the game for us. he doesn't have mcnabb's arm strength, but he'll probably be more accurate which will be good for our offense. he's just so small though. that really scares me.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
    how long is jamal jackson going to be out? that was an incredibly HUGE loss at the absolute worst time of the season. someone just told me its the same thing stacey andrews had last year. if that's the case, we need to draft or sign a center....
    www.myspace.com
    what?!?! come on man. you look at kolb and see aaron rodgers???? you just want to see aaron rogers. you're basically saying based on 10 quarters of play against mostly bad defensive teams, you see a pro bowl quarterback. that's an insanely outrageous comment to make.

i'm curious to see what we have in him. but to call him a pro bowler based upon such a limited amount of playing time is nuts. if we build our defense back up, though, hopefully he can manage the game for us. he doesn't have mcnabb's arm strength, but he'll probably be more accurate which will be good for our offense. he's just so small though. that really scares me.

From watching Kolb i saw a qb with a good arm,also a qb who actually hit his wr's in stride. Someone who looked confident and also had the confidents of the players he's playn with.Hell in those 2 games he started D-jack had 10 catches for 250yds and 2tds and Celek had 16 catches 208yds and and a td. If thats not good chemistary i guess i don't know what is then. Celeks best two catch games came from kolb with 8 a piece and besides the denver game they were his 2 best of the season statistcally. I might be wrong about Kolb but have a strong feeling that i'm right. I remember watching rodgers come in for favre when he got hurt on a thursday night game against the cowboys 2yrs ago a he moved them up and down the field. Thats when i knew the Pack were in good hands with Rodgers. You can tell by a QB's poise if he has it or not imo. I thought Rodgers did back then and i saw the same from Kolb this year.
    Go Birds!!!!

From watching Kolb i saw a qb with a good arm,also a qb who actually hit his wr's in stride. Someone who looked confident and also had the confidents of the players he's playn with.Hell in those 2 games he started D-jack had 10 catches for 250yds and 2tds and Celek had 16 catches 208yds and and a td. If thats not good chemistary i guess i don't know what is then. Celeks best two catch games came from kolb with 8 a piece and besides the denver game they were his 2 best of the season statistcally. I might be wrong about Kolb but have a strong feeling that i'm right. I remember watching rodgers come in for favre when he got hurt on a thursday night game against the cowboys 2yrs ago a he moved them up and down the field. Thats when i knew the Pack were in good hands with Rodgers. You can tell by a QB's poise if he has it or not imo. I thought Rodgers did back then and i saw the same from Kolb this year.

i really don't know what to say to this.
    www.myspace.com
    And why's that??
    Go Birds!!!!
    And why's that??

because its one thing to say you are curious to see how kolb can do with all these weapons on offense and if we bulk up on the defensive side....its another thing to sing his praises after what he did against an atrocioius defense and one, in the saints, that is not all that great either (he also had two terrible turnovers in that saints game that lead to 14 points).

you also said he has a good arm. he doesn't. most people talk about his accuracy but mention how much weaker his arm is compared to mcnabb or other big armed qb's in the league. his arm is not one of his strength's.

again---i'm intrigued to see what he can do. but you have to be pretty cautious. i also think he would have been sacked 5 or 6 times the other night. say what you want about donovan's running ability at his age, but he can move more quickly away from a pass rush in the pocket.
    www.myspace.com
    And why's that??

because its one thing to say you are curious to see how kolb can do with all these weapons on offense and if we bulk up on the defensive side....its another thing to sing his praises after what he did against an atrocioius defense and one, in the saints, that is not all that great either (he also had two terrible turnovers in that saints game that lead to 14 points).

you also said he has a good arm. he doesn't. most people talk about his accuracy but mention how much weaker his arm is compared to mcnabb or other big armed qb's in the league. his arm is not one of his strength's.

again---i'm intrigued to see what he can do. but you have to be pretty cautious. i also think he would have been sacked 5 or 6 times the other night. say what you want about donovan's running ability at his age, but he can move more quickly away from a pass rush in the pocket.

I saw what he could do already and it was pretty good. I agree we need to address the Def. Give the guy a break he struggled a little in his first start only too finish strong. And yes he had a real good game against a real bad team the 2nd game. And thats what should make u fell good at least he didn't drop the ball. it's like well there 7-1 but they played crappy teams to get there. They can only beat who is in front of them just like he did good against who he played. He might not have a Mcnabb arm but he looked like he had a good arm to me. Theres a Favre arm and a chad pennington arm and im positive he's no where near the Pennington arm. Ill take a qb with great accuracy and not as strong an arm over a qb who can't throw a touch pass to a receiver who is right next to him. Theres no doubt that 5 is amazing at escaping pressure,thats the one thing i'll miss the most. Look i hate this debate because i feel like im beating up on 5 alot. i think the guy was amazing here and wish him well. IM SURE he will go elsewhere and have a good career, i'm not saying hes washed up i'm saying he needs to move on because he's done all he can here.
    Go Birds!!!!
    And why's that??

I saw what he could do already and it was pretty good. I agree we need to address the Def. Give the guy a break he struggled a little in his first start only too finish strong. And yes he had a real good game against a real bad team the 2nd game. And thats what should make u fell good at least he didn't drop the ball. it's like well there 7-1 but they played crappy teams to get there. They can only beat who is in front of them just like he did good against who he played. He might not have a Mcnabb arm but he looked like he had a good arm to me. Theres a Favre arm and a chad pennington arm and im positive he's no where near the Pennington arm. Ill take a qb with great accuracy and not as strong an arm over a qb who can't throw a touch pass to a receiver who is right next to him. Theres no doubt that 5 is amazing at escaping pressure,thats the one thing i'll miss the most. Look i hate this debate because i feel like im beating up on 5 alot. i think the guy was amazing here and wish him well. IM SURE he will go elsewhere and have a good career, i'm not saying hes washed up i'm saying he needs to move on because he's done all he can here.

what do you want me to say man? i've already said i'm intrigued by what he could do for us. but i'm not about to get too excited over one big game against the chiefs. i don't see how anyone can to be quite honest with you. this team has a lot of other holes to plug right now.

all i know is this city never appreciates what it has until it's gone and that's a shame.
    www.myspace.com
  • mr.pinkmr.pink Posts: 362
    May be Philly should start Michael Vick... :lol::lol::lol: just kidding
    Twenty-ten watch it go to fire!!!
    I agree he has been very very under appericated. I think he deserves a clean start in arizona or minnesota. I think that Cle or sanfran could be dark hoses as well. With Holmgren and heckert in clevland that opens another window. And i wouldn't be suprised if he led a team to the bowl and won i just think theres 0% if it happening here.
    Go Birds!!!!
    I agree he has been very very under appericated. I think he deserves a clean start in arizona or minnesota. I think that Cle or sanfran could be dark hoses as well. With Holmgren and heckert in clevland that opens another window. And i wouldn't be suprised if he led a team to the bowl and won i just think theres 0% if it happening here.

yeah i could see cleveland now. arizona would be the best fit. if we're not keeping him, i'd just rather him go to the afc.

it'll be different than when randall was in minnesota. that 98 team was great. i was rooting hard for them. maybe it was easier because the eagles were 3-13 that year though.
    www.myspace.com

yeah i could see cleveland now. arizona would be the best fit. if we're not keeping him, i'd just rather him go to the afc.

it'll be different than when randall was in minnesota. that 98 team was great. i was rooting hard for them. maybe it was easier because the eagles were 3-13 that year though.

Arizona and minnesota would scare me the most because there good teams. And he isn't gonna go somewhere were they aren't going to sign him to an extension. Like i ways sayn to a friend there's no way he plays here on the final year. A top 10 qb wouldn't do that because it's a no win situation. A scrub like Delhomme has no choice because he just isn't that good to have that leverage. I would love to send him to Stl Rams though with spags. There not close enough to scare me yet even though there an NFC team i'd like to see him go there.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    And why would it scare people if McNabb went to another NFC team? It's not like he's a threat or anything :lol:
  • mr.pinkmr.pink Posts: 362
    "Donovan will be the starter next year", almost seeming to think the question was rediculous. But Adam Schefter said something very smart too: "you never plan to get rid of a player like McNabb, but you never expect what other teams are willing to offer."
    Twenty-ten watch it go to fire!!!
    crazypjfan wrote:
    And why would it scare people if McNabb went to another NFC team? It's not like he's a threat or anything :lol:

its funny. for all the talk of you "fans" having a higher bar than we do, it sure seems like beating the eagles in wild card game is the equivalent to winning the super bowl for some of you. you guys won a first round playoff game...for the first time in over a decade. congratulations. but, this game is now over. time to move on and think about the vikings maybe? :roll: we've moved on.
    www.myspace.com

Arizona and minnesota would scare me the most because there good teams. And he isn't gonna go somewhere were they aren't going to sign him to an extension. Like i ways sayn to a friend there's no way he plays here on the final year. A top 10 qb wouldn't do that because it's a no win situation. A scrub like Delhomme has no choice because he just isn't that good to have that leverage. I would love to send him to Stl Rams though with spags. There not close enough to scare me yet even though there an NFC team i'd like to see him go there.

oh yeah, i don't think there is anyway he plays as a lame duck. why would he? reid chose his words carefully. i think they will come out a couple months from now and say they could not come to an agreement on an extension and announce a trade or something....should be interesting.
    www.myspace.com
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    In all honesty, I am not trying to stir up shit in your thread, but do you guys (particularly you Jeagler), really want to bring McNabb back? I mean you make some very valid points about not appreciating what you have until it is gone (see the post Aikman Cowboys and the idiots who wanted to trade Romo a couple of years ago). I can appreciate that.

Like you said, you have way more holes to fill than just QB but doesn't that make it easier to make the change a QB now? I know the answer to that question is going to be 'no' because you have to have QB stability if everything else needs attention, but honestly I don't think you can fix your OL, running back, pass rush, linebacker and secondary problems in one year. Even if Jamaal Jackson and Stewart Bradley come back strong, there are other issues. So why not take the chance to start completely over right now?

Again, just from an outsider's perspective who didn't watch all of your games, McNabb clearly looks declined to me. He may have had a good year like you said, but against some pretty bad teams. The Cowboys used to worry about McNabb and game plan around him and how to contain him, but now its just "let's pressure him and he'll screw up and we don't have to worry about anyone else" and that's the whole plan.

Speaking as someone who has lived with the QB carousel for years before Romo got here, no one wants to lose a franchise QB. But you might want to roll the dice and see what you have. I don't know Kolb's contract status. Is there a chance you could lose both? Can he walk as a free agent anytime soon?
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    crazypjfan wrote:

its funny. for all the talk of you "fans" having a higher bar than we do, it sure seems like beating the eagles in wild card game is the equivalent to winning the super bowl for some of you. you guys won a first round playoff game...for the first time in over a decade. congratulations. but, this game is now over. time to move on and think about the vikings maybe? :roll: we've moved on.

I never said anything about the playoff win, you did! Apparently, you are the one still thinking about it ;) I just commented that he is not a threat and never was since he can't win the big one, that's all! Now, what does that have to do with Sat. night's game......nothing.
    crazypjfan wrote:
    crazypjfan wrote:

I never said anything about the playoff win, you did! Apparently, you are the one still thinking about it ;) I just commented that he is not a threat and never was since he can't win the big one, that's all! Now, what does that have to do with Sat. night's game......nothing.
    see? :thumbup: :wave:
    www.myspace.com
    Flagg wrote:
    In all honesty, I am not trying to stir up shit in your thread, but do you guys (particularly you Jeagler), really want to bring McNabb back? I mean you make some very valid points about not appreciating what you have until it is gone (see the post Aikman Cowboys and the idiots who wanted to trade Romo a couple of years ago). I can appreciate that.

Like you said, you have way more holes to fill than just QB but doesn't that make it easier to make the change a QB now? I know the answer to that question is going to be 'no' because you have to have QB stability if everything else needs attention, but honestly I don't think you can fix your OL, running back, pass rush, linebacker and secondary problems in one year. Even if Jamaal Jackson and Stewart Bradley come back strong, there are other issues. So why not take the chance to start completely over right now?

Again, just from an outsider's perspective who didn't watch all of your games, McNabb clearly looks declined to me. He may have had a good year like you said, but against some pretty bad teams. The Cowboys used to worry about McNabb and game plan around him and how to contain him, but now its just "let's pressure him and he'll screw up and we don't have to worry about anyone else" and that's the whole plan.

Speaking as someone who has lived with the QB carousel for years before Romo got here, no one wants to lose a franchise QB. But you might want to roll the dice and see what you have. I don't know Kolb's contract status. Is there a chance you could lose both? Can he walk as a free agent anytime soon?

at this point it might be best for both parties to move on. i just don't buy the decline talk. you saw 3 awful games this year by him. those along withe raiders games were god awful. however we did set a franchise record for points. he threw for a ton of yards. statistically he had his best year since 2004. he's getting older, yes. so i guess technically that means he is declining. then again, everyone once they hit their peak is declining. i still think he has at least 2 solid years ahead of him. and with all the weapons we have on offense (assuming the offensive line is healthy next year) i'd rather throw a qb out there who is guaranteed to be a top 10 qb in the league, rather than going with an unknown.

but like i said--if they decide to move on without him, it would not be the end of the world to me. it would have been a few years ago if they did. at this point, it may have run its course---especially considering his contract situation.
    www.myspace.com
  • booomm11booomm11 Posts: 865
    Anyone know all the 2010 NFL free agents?

Let's just hope the Birds address their weaknesses, and make the team better. Which I think they will

Till then there is a new team in town: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InKTrtPFzCg :)
    being so KiND.. tO LEt me RiDe!!!
    crazypjfan wrote:
    see? :thumbup: :wave:

I can't wait to sit down and hash this out over a few beers :D I'm not much of a typer or texter. lol
    booomm11 wrote:

Let's just hope the Birds address their weaknesses, and make the team better. Which I think they will

Till then there is a new team in town: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InKTrtPFzCg :)

what team is this? can't access at work...
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,992
    booomm11 wrote:

The Union. If we were to actually think this counts anymore than the Phantoms, Kixx, or Wings. Yeah, I'll pass. I mean, I'll go, get drunk, etc. But this does absolutely nothing for me. Again, 37 days till pitchers & catchers...
    We should trade a late pick and quinton demps to denver for B-Dawk. A fan can dream :)
    Go Birds!!!!
    LET'S GO NOVA! :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    in no way shape or form am i insinuating don is as good, better, or will be better, but this is just interesting:

Elway thru 11 seasons: 34,400 yards, 55.7 comp%, 183 TD, 167 INT

McNabb thru 11 seasons: 32,873 yards, 59.0 comp%, 216 TD, 100 INT

again, i fully understand numbers are just that: numbers. i've always been in the camp that would rather reid go and keep donovan...so the fact that we very well could have had the same exact coach who turned elway's career around had it not been for that damn extension a couple months ago hurts a bit right now.
    www.myspace.com
  • booomm11booomm11 Posts: 865
    booomm11 wrote:

The Union. If we were to actually think this counts anymore than the Phantoms, Kixx, or Wings. Yeah, I'll pass. I mean, I'll go, get drunk, etc. But this does absolutely nothing for me. Again, 37 days till pitchers & catchers...

Yes... this will count more then the three you just mentioned. Shit, they might surpass the Sixers and Flyers in fan interest. hahha... See you'll be there! It's gonna be a fun atmosphere dude

36 days pitchers and catchers
    being so KiND.. tO LEt me RiDe!!!
This discussion has been closed.