Options

***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,617
    The fact that it is $750k is by faaaaaaaaaar the only reason to mildly say this move is okay, but then again, it is a big league deal, I believe, so unless they have room on the 40 man, his spot is unprotecting someone.

Protection for Howard :lol: I don't think may teams are afraid of Young and his flailing.

He has had everything to prove for 6 or 7 years now. Dude is a bust. Plain and simple.

And uh, best behavior, he got arrested during this past season.

And the fact that Brown wasn't traded a long time ago shows that Amaro has no fucking clue what he is doing. If they think more of Delmon Young than Brown, well then, he should have been traded when he had an ounce of value.

The Yankees are so pathetic right now, it just gives me some satisfaction that the Phillies have fallen a whole lot faster. :lol:

The contract alone makes it a risk worth taking. In this park with the same amount of at bats his power #'s should increase. Look at every 5 hole hitter who's hit after Howard,there stats went up. Werth,Pence, Arron Rowand. The 5 hole hitter see's better pitches because of Howard period. Batting behind Howard sure helped Rowand and Werth get PAID. And since then both haven't done shit.

Brown has been a bust and this very likely could be his last chance with the Phillies. Young was a good player a few years ago and this might be his last chance to cash in big time. And i've never been a big Amaro fan so we agree on that.

Uh, are you familiar with the concept of protection in baseball?

Brown has never been given a chance and I would say it takes more than 1 season in a 7 year career to say said player 'was a good player a few years ago"
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078

Utley protects Howard. You know what I meant. Every 5th hole hitter here see's better pitches because of Howard.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options

Utley protects Howard. You know what I meant. Every 5th hole hitter here see's better pitches because of Howard.

Ahhhh, Howard protects Utley. Utley sees better pitches because they know they can't avoid Howard and they don't want to have Howard up with people on base, so they throw strikes. It's about who is on deck, not in front of you. Why would someone hitting behind Howard see better pitches? Who bats 6th would be protection for the 5 hole.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Ahhhh, Howard protects Utley. Utley sees better pitches because they know they can't avoid Howard and they don't want to have Howard up with people on base, so they throw strikes. It's about who is on deck, not in front of you. Why would someone hitting behind Howard see better pitches? Who bats 6th would be protection for the 5 hole.
    Like I said do the research. The 5 hole hitters have had career years our really good ones hitting beyond him. Before you try and bash check it out. If you don't wanna then the Yankees thread is awaiting.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Like I said do the research. The 5 hole hitters have had career years our really good ones hitting beyond him. Before you try and bash check it out. If you don't wanna then the Yankees thread is awaiting.

Okay....perhaps they just got career years out of a couple guys, like Young had a career year recently?

The entire concept of protection in baseball is based on who is on deck, so unless you figured something out that the entire world can't and doesn't make a lot of sense considering Howard's on base skills, then I would go with them just having career years.
  • Options
    Yeah the last 3 hitters hitting after him just happened to have career years :lol: :roll: Hell in 46 less games and 196 less at bats Pence hit as many Hr's. Batted 14pts higher and his on base % was 38pts higher. Lets just say that was a coincidence. Rowand shattered career highs and Werth became Werthless since. So yeah i'd say that shitty flawing 1st basemen had something to do with there pitches.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    Yeah the last 3 hitters hitting after him just happened to have career years :lol: :roll: Hell in 46 less games and 196 less at bats Pence hit as many Hr's. Batted 14pts higher and his on base % was 38pts higher. Lets just say that was a coincidence. Rowand shattered career highs and Werth became Werthless since. So yeah i'd say that shitty flawing 1st basemen had something to do with there pitches.

Logically, why though? Howard strikes out or hits a home run so the pitchers says fuck it and throws them meat balls? 2006-2007 could make sense with an OBP of almost .400 but aside from that, nothing else makes sense. Ryan Howard is not 2006-2007 Ryan Howard either
  • Options
    But the point remains, Delmon Young is horrific. I'm too sick to argue this.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    When did I ever say he's great? I said I like the signing at 750k. And that he's got alot to prove and a good year could occur. Especially in this park and hitting behind Howard.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Logically, why though? Howard strikes out or hits a home run so the pitchers says fuck it and throws them meat balls? 2006-2007 could make sense with an OBP of almost .400 but aside from that, nothing else makes sense. Ryan Howard is not 2006-2007 Ryan Howard either

Because once you get by the scary/power hitter your not as scared of the next guy as much. Not saying meatballs but maybe a little less focus. And I agree he's not but Pence's 2011 season says alot imo.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The fact that it is $750k is by faaaaaaaaaar the only reason to mildly say this move is okay, but then again, it is a big league deal, I believe, so unless they have room on the 40 man, his spot is unprotecting someone.

Protection for Howard :lol: I don't think may teams are afraid of Young and his flailing.

He has had everything to prove for 6 or 7 years now. Dude is a bust. Plain and simple.

And uh, best behavior, he got arrested during this past season.

And the fact that Brown wasn't traded a long time ago shows that Amaro has no fucking clue what he is doing. If they think more of Delmon Young than Brown, well then, he should have been traded when he had an ounce of value.

The Yankees are so pathetic right now, it just gives me some satisfaction that the Phillies have fallen a whole lot faster. :lol:

The contract alone makes it a risk worth taking. In this park with the same amount of at bats his power #'s should increase. Look at every 5 hole hitter who's hit after Howard,there stats went up. Werth,Pence, Arron Rowand. The 5 hole hitter see's better pitches because of Howard period. Batting behind Howard sure helped Rowand and Werth get PAID. And since then both haven't done shit.

Brown has been a bust and this very likely could be his last chance with the Phillies. Young was a good player a few years ago and this might be his last chance to cash in big time. And i've never been a big Amaro fan so we agree on that.

brown has had approx 450 mlb ABs. Not sure how anyone can call him a bust.

Even with the small sample size... he's better than delmon young
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

come on, you know you're impressed

http://crashburnalley.com/wp-content/up ... DELMON.gif

delmon young is probably the worst position player in mlb. francoeur beats him out because he is good in field

there is nothing to like about the delmon young signing....other than it hopefully gets amaro one step closer to getting fired
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,359
    just over 2 weeks to go now... :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,548
    The Fixer wrote:

excellent! :thumbup: :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    The Dude's son is marrying Meadow Soprano...

should make for a nice little subplot in the movie.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,238
    The Dude's son is marrying Meadow Soprano...

should make for a nice little subplot in the movie.

saw this. hopefully she is smart enough to get a pre-nup.
  • Options
    Man, I think Corbett is a worthless piece of shit, but I am down with this LCB plan, especially with the money going to education. I hope it goes through.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Man, I think Corbett is a worthless piece of shit, but I am down with this LCB plan, especially with the money going to education. I hope it goes through.

agree 100%. there is nothing worse in this state than our ridiculous state store system.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    pjhawks wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

agree 100%. there is nothing worse in this state than our ridiculous state store system.

This is one thing everyone will agree on.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

This is one thing everyone will agree on.

For sure. This plan goes all out too, even so far as allowing bars to sell bottles of wine to go.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    For sure. This plan goes all out too, even so far as allowing bars to sell bottles of wine to go.

and this weekend is the perfect example of the ridiculousness of it. have to go to at least 3 different places for even a small super bowl get together. beer, wine, snacks. just absurd. can't wait to be able to get all of that in a supermarket or even a wawa.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

and this weekend is the perfect example of the ridiculousness of it. have to go to at least 3 different places for even a small super bowl get together. beer, wine, snacks. just absurd. can't wait to be able to get all of that in a supermarket or even a wawa.

It's absurd. I didn't catch the timing he is looking at, anyone know off hand?
  • Options
    pennsylvania...slowly attempting to enter the 20th century..
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

seriously. now if we can just get the horrendous drivers to figure out what keep right, pass left means.

lived and spent time (via sales territories) in a bunch of different states. hands down the worst drivers you will find
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,579
    The Fixer wrote:
    hit bainbridge barrell house for brunch last weekend. highly recommended. food was awesome and they have a solid beer list. cool spot.

anyone here still have phils tix? paid mine off this week, but I split my package in half so I don't have to go watch the awfulness as much

Yeah I still have the 4 seats. Hope I don't get stuck with too many. Our old ticket partners have little kids or moved to Pennsyltucky. :roll:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    hit bainbridge barrell house for brunch last weekend. highly recommended. food was awesome and they have a solid beer list. cool spot.

anyone here still have phils tix? paid mine off this week, but I split my package in half so I don't have to go watch the awfulness as much

Yeah I still have the 4 seats. Hope I don't get stuck with too many. Our old ticket partners have little kids or moved to Pennsyltucky. :roll:

I call it East Virginia.

I have not been less excited for a phils season since before they signed thome. They are going to suck
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

seriously. now if we can just get the horrendous drivers to figure out what keep right, pass left means.

lived and spent time (via sales territories) in a bunch of different states. hands down the worst drivers you will find

disagree. the dc area is worse. this includes northern virginia and southern maryland. too many transients down there. lived down there for about a year and was amazed by how bad it was. plus, you get a couple inches of snow and nobody knows what to do.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,579
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I call it East Virginia.

I have not been less excited for a phils season since before they signed thome. They are going to suck

As long as the beer's good...
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Also, Franklin Mortgage was disappointing. Bunch of overpriced drinks with elaborate descriptions. cool concept, but not a place I'd rush back to. Much rather just hit the Irish Pub for Jameson and Guinness
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

disagree. the dc area is worse. this includes northern virginia and southern maryland. too many transients down there. lived down there for about a year and was amazed by how bad it was. plus, you get a couple inches of snow and nobody knows what to do.

No way man. Traffic is worse down there, but the drivers aren't.

Last week I got my car serviced at Scott Honda in West Chester. 20 mins from my place in havertown. Took me almost 3 hours round trip because of an inch of snow.

I'm embarrassed to possess a PA license and plates.
This discussion has been closed.