Options

***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,304
    The Fixer wrote:
    Since minaya waited so long I think the bidding starts around 6 years, $120 mill

he is adept at misreading FA markets
    I think if Hamels tests the market his getting a 7yr 150-155 deal.

as much as i like Hamels you cannot give a pitcher 7 years. offer him less years and more money.
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    I agree but the problem is years with him here. They've said they have the money but years is the holdup.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Since minaya waited so long I think the bidding starts around 6 years, $120 mill

he is adept at misreading FA markets
    I think if Hamels tests the market his getting a 7yr 150-155 deal.

as much as i like Hamels you cannot give a pitcher 7 years. offer him less years and more money.

I hear you but it's tough to see a top 10 pitcher in their prime walk away. especially with the reduction in compensation the phils will receive in the new cba.

amaro has once again put them in a shitty situation. I'm confident he will fuck this up royally. again
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,661
    You think he's just looking at the situation as he already has $104 million locked up in Lee, Halladay, Howard, Utley, Rollins and Papelbon (all in their 30's) and wonders how the hell he can add $23-$25 mil to that while adding zero offense? I would imagine he is waiting to see how Howard and Utley come back before he commits anymore money to pitching. A lot of pressure on Utley and Howard to come back strong or they are going to need a lot of offense.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,765
    I'm jumping with Fixer in the Amaro is terrible bandwagon. If he doesn't resign Hamels he should be fired.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    You think he's just looking at the situation as he already has $104 million locked up in Lee, Halladay, Howard, Utley, Rollins and Papelbon (all in their 30's) and wonders how the hell he can add $23-$25 mil to that while adding zero offense? I would imagine he is waiting to see how Howard and Utley come back before he commits anymore money to pitching. A lot of pressure on Utley and Howard to come back strong or they are going to need a lot of offense.

the thing about it is that the longer he waits the more expensive hamels gets. and like olney mentioned in the clip I posted this am, you gotta figure that hamels is thinking he's waited long enough. he's not far from free agency, why sign before testing the market (and further strengthening his bargaining power)??

It's not a good scenario. He has really butchered this roster. It all started with the asinine howard contract, now we are starting to see/feel the reprecussions

not good times
  • Options
    I'm jumping with Fixer in the Amaro is terrible bandwagon. If he doesn't resign Hamels he should be fired.

I told my wife that if hamels walks we're not renewing our season tix
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

Send an e-mail to the team to that effect. The sellout streak will come to an abrupt end.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

Send an e-mail to the team to that effect. The sellout streak will come to an abrupt end.

Oh trust me I will.

Another frustrating thing about this team is that april was supposed to be the soft part of their schedule. Did you see the pitching matchups for the next 6 games? They need to start showing some signs of life. Win 4 of the next 6.

Love thome, but he needs to take a page out of dawkins book. It's time
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

the thing about it is that the longer he waits the more expensive hamels gets. and like olney mentioned in the clip I posted this am, you gotta figure that hamels is thinking he's waited long enough. he's not far from free agency, why sign before testing the market (and further strengthening his bargaining power)??

It's not a good scenario. He has really butchered this roster. It all started with the asinine howard contract, now we are starting to see/feel the reprecussions

not good times

Oh, no doubt. I don't disagree a little and it's his own doing. I just have a tough time seeing them adding that much money with the offense they have.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

not good times

Oh, no doubt. I don't disagree a little and it's his own doing. I just have a tough time seeing them adding that much money with the offense they have.

yeah, you would have thought he would have realized that after the offense did NOTHING in the playoffs the last two years. but he couldn't wait to overpay for a closer, even knowing hamels contract was coming to an end.

unreal
  • Options
    This Papelbon contract is 100% inexcusable. Completely useless waste of money.

At least the Howard contract could be seen as a reward (albeit egregious) for past success; Papelbon came from some other team.

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,677
    I love reading this thread :shifty:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:

Thank God for the Flyers or we'd all have already jumped off the bridge.

• Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    imalive wrote:

Thank God for the Flyers or we'd all have already jumped off the bridge.

Phillies are getting a pass in the city right now because of that

Even though its early the writing is on the wall
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    I've actually turned them off the past 2 games. Once they get down early, it's practically over. :sick::sick: When do the gimps come back?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I've actually turned them off the past 2 games. Once they get down early, it's practically over. :sick::sick: When do the gimps come back?

I don't turn them off, I just fall asleep. No timetable for either guy.

Pence hurt. Wigginton hitting cleanup tonight. :lol::lol:

Just grilled swordfish steaks. Delicious
  • Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I hope the Flyers play until June

This is God awful
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    I hope the Flyers play until June

This is God awful

+1 and a bunch of 0's
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,284
    it's still early in the season :?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,789
    552836_10151539062025062_594680061_23284301_1440001128_n.jpg
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,781
    I knew the glory years were over, but I didn't think they'd crash like this.

But it's a long season, need to stay optimistic.

it's hard but i'm trying
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,304

it's hard but i'm trying

it's hard not to think this could just be one of those years where everything goes wrong. i still have some faith that they are not nearly as bad as this but it's getting more difficult. as bad as we thought they might be offensively without utley and howard they have actually been worse.
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,781
    pjhawks wrote:

it's hard but i'm trying

it's hard not to think this could just be one of those years where everything goes wrong. i still have some faith that they are not nearly as bad as this but it's getting more difficult. as bad as we thought they might be offensively without utley and howard they have actually been worse.

exactly, I thought Victorino, Rollins and Pence would pick up the slack somewhat
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

it's hard but i'm trying

you would think the manager would take some blame since he's a 'hitting guru'

they need to start winning series. would be nice if they scored some runs for hamels today
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Laynce Nix and the Phyladelphya Phyllyes!
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    last paragraphy sums things up pretty well. amaro needs to go. he's done enough damage

Back in December, when the Phillies were still deciding on their future with right-hander Kyle Kendrick, I suggested that they cut their ties with the veteran swingman. Pitchers like Kendrick, I argued, are plentiful in the world of baseball, so paying upwards of $3 million per season to keep him around just wasn’t worth it. The Phillies initially avoided arbitration, agreeing to a $3.585 million salary for 2011, but in February, they announced they had signed Kendrick to a two-year, $7.5 million deal.

We have gone over Kendrick’s abilities ad nauseam here, so I won’t waste your time going over those. For passers-by, here some some relevant links:

•Phillies Must Make Tough Choice Regarding Kyle Kendrick [Link]
    •Phillies Sign Kyle Kendrick for $3.585 Million [Link]
    •Kyle Kendrick Receives 2 year, $7.5 Million Extension [Link]
    •Kitschy Kyle Kendrick [Link]
    As a result of Cliff Lee‘s placement on the disabled list recently, Kendrick moved into the starting rotation, making his first start of the 2012 season last night against the Arizona Diamondbacks. He was absolutely terrible over three innings of work, allowing 11 hits, including a home run to Justin Upton and four doubles, and a total of seven runs. In true KK fashion, he walked one and struck out one out of 21 total batters faced.

Kendrick is certainly not nearly as bad as he looked last night, but in Triple-A Lehigh Valley, there are four pitchers who reasonably could have been called upon to make a spot start or two in Lee’s absence: journeymen Dave Bush and Scott Elarton, left-hander Pat Misch, and right-hander Austin Hyatt (who, unlike Kendrick, is getting Triple-A experience before Major League experience). Their existence and placement in the Phillies’ system is entirely independent of Kendrick’s, so the Phillies would have had just as much of a contingency plan if they had non-tendered Kendrick as opposed to the route they chose.

Kendrick is not, in any respect, noticeably better than any of those four options. What Kendrick has is lore: he was the Phillies’ unsung hero in the 2007 season. As Matt Swartz pointed out on Twitter, the Phillies have been paying for that fluky performance ever since:

Matt Swartz
    @Matt_Swa If Kyle Kendrick's luck had come in a different order, he would never have been given this much rope. This is 5 yrs based on a couple months
    23 Apr 12 ReplyRetweetFavoriteKendrick also gets too much credit for his versatility — his ability and willingness to bounce between the bullpen and starting rotation at a moment’s notice. While that is nice, it has no practical benefit. The Phillies still had to make a roster move (recalling Joe Savery) in response, so while it appears that Kendrick eats two roster spots for the price of one, he is just a mediocre pitcher who really doesn’t fit anywhere but in a Triple-A rotation as an innings-eater.

It just as easily could have been Bush or Hyatt getting taken for seven runs in three innings last night, but they wouldn’t have been on the books for $7.5 million over two years while doing so. Kendrick’s performance last night was just a painful reminder of the superfluous way GM Ruben Amaro has doled out money since taking over for Pat Gillick after the 2008 season. From needlessly signing Ryan Howard to a five-year contract extension in 2010, giving bench bat Laynce Nix, reliever Danys Baez, and catcher Brian Schneider two guaranteed years, and awarding closer Jonathan Papelbon the largest contract ever for a relief pitcher, the Phillies have been terribly inefficient and backwards-thinking. When you run a payroll in excess of $170 million, money can cover up a lot of mistakes, but it won’t be the case as this roster continues to age and key pieces — such as Cole Hamels and Shane Victorino — have the potential to change their addresses.
  • Options
    god damn hamels is awesome. making it look easy today
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    god damn hamels is awesome. making it look easy today

Annnnnnd it looks like a spot on the Yankees just opened up for him. Motherfucker
This discussion has been closed.