***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,967
    Posturing.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,723
    Posturing.

Sure, but it doesn't make much sense to me. Hamels knows what he can get paid on the open market, nothing Amaro says publicaly is going to change that.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,967
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Posturing.

Sure, but it doesn't make much sense to me. Hamels knows what he can get paid on the open market, nothing Amaro says publicaly is going to change that.

There's more in there about him trying to justify his contract to Howard than it is a knock at Cole. He prefaced his statement to show no ill-will so I all I see it as setting precedent in the public of where they stand with Hamels. All I know is with the amount that teams are getting in return for pitching then I wouldn't be surprised at a trade. But, at the same time, as the NL favorite to make the WS I don't see how they can do so. And I can't see them letting him walk too. He either gets traded or resigned. I would be down with a friendly wager on that.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Posturing.

There's more in there about him trying to justify his contract to Howard than it is a knock at Cole. He prefaced his statement to show no ill-will so I all I see it as setting precedent in the public of where they stand with Hamels. All I know is with the amount that teams are getting in return for pitching then I wouldn't be surprised at a trade. But, at the same time, as the NL favorite to make the WS I don't see how they can do so. And I can't see them letting him walk too. He either gets traded or resigned. I would be down with a friendly wager on that.

No doubt, I definitely agree he is trying to justify the Howard contract, I just think he picked the last person he should compare him to. I think he is seriously overvaluing Howard and seriously undervaluing Hamels, in a time where there is no need to compare them. Hmmmmmm. I have a really tough time seeing them trade him. I would say there is a better than even chance he resigns before free agency but I can't imagine them trading him.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

No doubt, I definitely agree he is trying to justify the Howard contract, I just think he picked the last person he should compare him to. I think he is seriously overvaluing Howard and seriously undervaluing Hamels, in a time where there is no need to compare them. Hmmmmmm. I have a really tough time seeing them trade him. I would say there is a better than even chance he resigns before free agency but I can't imagine them trading him.

midseason extension.

cliffy--paul byrd is currently available. yanks should pursue him. :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    midseason extension.

As I mentioned, I think there's a decent chance they resign him before he hits the market. Wouldn't be saying he's less valuable than Howard though.

Not sure if you noticed, but it's not the same rotation you were able to kick around last season. I'd take the Yankees 25 over the Phillies 25 coming into the season any day. Am sure that may stir shit up. May not have the front 3, but much deeper across the board, I think.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,428
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    midseason extension.

As I mentioned, I think there's a decent chance they resign him before he hits the market. Wouldn't be saying he's less valuable than Howard though.

Not sure if you noticed, but it's not the same rotation you were able to kick around last season. I'd take the Yankees 25 over the Phillies 25 coming into the season any day. Am sure that may stir shit up. May not have the front 3, but much deeper across the board, I think.

i think Ruben does have a point here. Cole, while great, is not in the same class as Roy Halliday and Cliff Lee at this point. Yes he won a World Series MVP but I think Cole is probably in the 2nd tier of great pitchers in baseball. He is not in that top class with those guys and guys like Verlander and Sabathia. No disrespect to Cole on that he's just not that at that tier at this point.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    midseason extension.

:lol:
    okay. see you in october then.
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    midseason extension.

i think Ruben does have a point here. Cole, while great, is not in the same class as Roy Halliday and Cliff Lee at this point. Yes he won a World Series MVP but I think Cole is probably in the 2nd tier of great pitchers in baseball. He is not in that top class with those guys and guys like Verlander and Sabathia. No disrespect to Cole on that he's just not that at that tier at this point.

dude was in the running for cy young most of the season. you think he's in the 2nd tier of pitchers? he is absolutely one of the best lefties in the game. 100%. and he's just in the beginning of his prime. :?
    www.myspace.com

Oh boy, here we go again. Phillies didn't upgrade anything, and lost their cleanup hitter for a while. Great rotation, no doubt but Yankees have a just fine rotation now, great bullpen and second best offense in the game last year with pretty much no contribution from arod or Tex.

dude was in the running for cy young most of the season. you think he's in the 2nd tier of pitchers? he is absolutely one of the best lefties in the game. 100%. and he's just in the beginning of his prime. :?

so do you think he is as good as Halladay, Lee, Verlander and Sabathia? i said he is great but just a tad below those guys.
  • pjhawks wrote:

so do you think he is as good as Halladay, Lee, Verlander and Sabathia? i said he is great but just a tad below those guys.

He's better than Sabathia, maybe Verlander too, who is somewhat overrated (I'll have to look into it a little more). Just because he's the 3rd best pitcher on his team doesn't mean he's in the "2nd tier." :roll: And you could argue Lee or Hamels being the 2nd best. I know I said Lee was a victim of bad luck in his playoff start last year, but Hamels fucking got the job done in his game against a monster lineup.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Think the Qualls signing is pretty good. Only a one year contract, pretty reasonable with good incentives. Ruben: this is how you sign relievers. :twisted:

He has bad stats in Citizens Park but he also was, you know, pitching against the Phillies in those games. That team used to have quite the lineup.

I don't know why Ruben would compare Howard to Hamels, other than they are both NLCS MVP's. He had better get that deal done.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Don't think I have had a Donut in 10 years but this looks pretty cool. Zahav and Percy St BBQ are both great

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/01/dinin ... .html?_r=1
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Don't think I have had a Donut in 10 years but this looks pretty cool. Zahav and Percy St BBQ are both great

I'd like to try the chicken. Love a good piece of properly cooked chicken. It has to be cooked right though, othewise it grosses me out :lol:

Never heard of this place before, interesting article though.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I'd like to try the chicken. Love a good piece of properly cooked chicken. It has to be cooked right though, othewise it grosses me out :lol:

Never heard of this place before, interesting article though.

The name rings a bell for me. I think I have heard about it but never put any thought towards it. Love me some good fried chicken. There was a big discussion about it in here a while back.
    pjhawks wrote:

He's better than Sabathia, maybe Verlander too, who is somewhat overrated (I'll have to look into it a little more). Just because he's the 3rd best pitcher on his team doesn't mean he's in the "2nd tier." :roll: And you could argue Lee or Hamels being the 2nd best. I know I said Lee was a victim of bad luck in his playoff start last year, but Hamels fucking got the job done in his game against a monster lineup.

so by your count if he is better than lee, sabathia and verlander you think cole hamels is one of the 2 or 3 best pitchers in baseball at this time. i think that is a bit too high.
  • pjhawks wrote:
    so by your count if he is better than lee, sabathia and verlander you think cole hamels is one of the 2 or 3 best pitchers in baseball at this time. i think that is a bit too high.

I didn't say he's better than Lee & Verlander, but I think it's debatable. Yes, I think he's one of the top pitchers in baseball, in the tier right below Doc. Unless he's pitching against the Mets. :lol:

• Cliffy6745 wrote:

Dammit Cliffy, now I'm starving. There's no good fried chicken in the burbs. :evil:

pjhawks wrote:

I didn't say he's better than Lee & Verlander, but I think it's debatable. Yes, I think he's one of the top pitchers in baseball, in the tier right below Doc. Unless he's pitching against the Mets. :lol:

well i said in the tier right below halladay as well...i just had a few more guys along with halladay as tier 1 so it seems we both agree on cole's level, we just disagree on the level of sabathia and possibly lee and verlander 8-)
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Dammit Cliffy, now I'm starving. There's no good fried chicken in the burbs. :evil:

Ha, yeah, not a good thing to see first thing in the morning. Figured you would chime in shortly.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Ha, yeah, not a good thing to see first thing in the morning. Figured you would chime in shortly.

According to Siri: nearest fried chicken EIGHT MILES AWAY. :twisted:

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    damm ... last time someone mentioned fried chicken ... i flew to NY and went straight into the heart of hipsterville ... :evil: :lol::lol:
  • pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

well i said in the tier right below halladay as well...i just had a few more guys along with halladay as tier 1 so it seems we both agree on cole's level, we just disagree on the level of sabathia and possibly lee and verlander 8-)

Alright, sounds good.

According to Siri: nearest fried chicken EIGHT MILES AWAY. :twisted:

That blows. Although I have slacked on my friend chicken consumption of late.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Oh boy, here we go again. Phillies didn't upgrade anything, and lost their cleanup hitter for a while. Great rotation, no doubt but Yankees have a just fine rotation now, great bullpen and second best offense in the game last year with pretty much no contribution from arod or Tex.

bench is upgraded. i like how the pen is looking right now too. gonna hurt to have howard out. hopefully it's not too long. but they won 102 games with utley missing the first couple months last year. there's a reason why vegas still has them as odds on favorites to win the world series right now clifton. ;)

by the way---it smells like baseball today. love it.
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

bench is upgraded. i like how the pen is looking right now too. gonna hurt to have howard out. hopefully it's not too long. but they won 102 games with utley missing the first couple months last year. there's a reason why vegas still has them as odds on favorites to win the world series right now clifton. ;)

No doubt, that reason is obviously the front end of the rotation. It'll be interesting to see how they handle that. Not a young team either I think there are 3 or 4 teams that could claim to be the best in baseball on paper coming into the season, I'm picking the Yanks because I love what they have done to the rotation and I'm a homer.

Yeah, I guess, I like winter so I'm not a real fan of the weather today, although pitchers and catchers reporting in 2.5 weeks is pretty spectacular, especially since I have football season to bring me right into it ;)
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

No doubt, that reason is obviously the front end of the rotation. It'll be interesting to see how they handle that. Not a young team either I think there are 3 or 4 teams that could claim to be the best in baseball on paper coming into the season, I'm picking the Yanks because I love what they have done to the rotation and I'm a homer.

Yeah, I guess, I like winter so I'm not a real fan of the weather today, although pitchers and catchers reporting in 2.5 weeks is pretty spectacular, especially since I have football season to bring me right into it ;)

i like winter too but i usually get tired of it shortly after the super bowl.

i just like that first day of the year when you can kind of smell springtime/baseball in the air.
    www.myspace.com
    i like winter too but i usually get tired of it shortly after the super bowl.

i just like that first day of the year when you can kind of smell springtime/baseball in the air.

No doubt, I hear you. Wouldn't get your hopes up yet though, it's only Feb 1st and we have had a total of 3 inches of snow or so.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    The season ticket holder presale is going on today until 10pm if you haven't checked your emails.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
This discussion has been closed.