***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,961
    like the contreras signing. he's basically the 2010 version of chan ho.

what is the latest on chan ho? i know he wants to start. is he close to signing with anyone?

little concerned about the lack of lefties in the pen right now though...

Signed Contreras for only a mil. That's pretty damn awesome.

The lefty thing did worry me, but at least it's early in the season. I'd have a problem with relying too much on young talent like Zagurski, Escalona, and Bastardo, if it was August, but early on not as much.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    It's it why for the 9th straight year the NFC will have a different representative in the Super Bowl (9 different since the Giants in 2001 I believe).

Forget so soon....

Eli-Manning-Super-Bowl-XLII-MVP.jpg

Back to your Phillies banter....

Edit: Or I could have read you wrong and you could have been saying after 2001... My mistake, either way that is a beautiful picture.

EXACTLY. If anything, this proves my point that it's harder to win consistently in baseball. Do you know what the average turn around time in the NFL is from a bad team to a mediocre team? THREE YEARS. That can't be done in baseball, unless you're the worthless Yankees or douchebag Sawx. Teams that make bad decisions in baseball are effected for YEARS. In football, teams can be revamped in mere months. This picture of Corky Thatcher proves that. Oh, and again, look at Pedro's stats from the playoffs aside from game 6. How quickly we forget. They didn't win any of those games he says.........that's like saying Cole Hamels ONLY winning 15 games in 2008 was his fault. No, you're right....Pedro holding LA to ONE RUN though 8 and battling incredibly in game 2 of the WS only to get no support because the lineup got too smart for their own good is the reason Pedro lost those games. I know exactly what the lineup was thinking against Burnett in game 2 - the guy can't throw his breaking ball for strikes so work the counts and get his pitch count up and have him out of the game by the 5th inning. Ya know what happened though? His curve DID go over for strikes. Then the lineup started going after bad pitches. If you wanna put game 6 on Pedro, fine, but don't tell me the reason they lost in any of the other games were his fault.

why would a manager start his 5th (or possibly even 6th starter) over his 3rd and 4th starter in the playoffs? brutal move by Charlie and history down the line will show what a dumb move it was. Who else has ever started their 5th or 6th starter 3 times in playoffs and twice in the world seris agains the new york freakin yankees? Not only a 5th starter, but a 5th starter we didn't bring back and gave our 3rd starter 8 MILLION DOLLARS a year? How can you justify starting Pedro over Blanton then giving Blanton 24 million over 3 years - makes absolutely no freaking sense.
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Have to agree,thought it didn't make sense then and it really dosen't now. Blanton should have got the nod in the last game. Pedro was even sick if i remember correctly that night. Plus his fastball was slower then ever in the first inning,a sign right there he didn't have it. I like Blanton would have rather kept some lefty for 1 more season instead but whats done is done. What scarers me is making it to the world series and facing the mariners.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,716
    Is this true?

The Phillies' payroll - $149 million committed to just 14 players for 2011 -

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... z0df78PABF
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Is this true?

The Phillies' payroll - $149 million committed to just 14 players for 2011 - is going to be the highest in their history, but with pitching being as important as it is, the Mariners, with Lee as their No. 2 starter, look to be a lot better bet to make the World Series.

UGH.....can't imagine the outrage in this city if that happens...
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Is this true?

The Phillies' payroll - $149 million committed to just 14 players for 2011 - is going to be the highest in their history, but with pitching being as important as it is, the Mariners, with Lee as their No. 2 starter, look to be a lot better bet to make the World Series.

I think that whole argument is nonsense. The Mariners have to go through the Yankees and Red Sox, the Phillies only really have competition in the Cardinals. People would be pissed though.

I am having a hard time believing the Phillies have that much locked up in 14 players, going through Cot's the number I am getting is in the 130's but I don't think he would print it if it was not accurate.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Is this true?

no way the Mariners have a better chance to make the World Series than the Phils. The Phils are by far the dominant team in the National League. Obviously a lot can happen but this team is absolutely loaded - even better in pre-season than last year's team with Halladay.
    pjhawks wrote:

UGH.....can't imagine the outrage in this city if that happens

no way the Mariners have a better chance to make the World Series than the Phils. The Phils are by far the dominant team in the National League. Obviously a lot can happen but this team is absolutely loaded - even better in pre-season than last year's team with Halladay.

sure they are obviously a lot better than last year's team at the beginning of the year with halladay. and i think we're marginally better than where we ended up.
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:

sure they are obviously a lot better than last year's team at the beginning of the year with halladay. and i think we're marginally better than where we ended up.

:roll:
    pjhawks wrote:

:roll:

oh come on. that is not even close to an outlandish comment. we're a little bit better than where we were in early november. i think that's fair.

ONLY A FEW WEEKS AWAY!

hearing uncle cholly yesterday got me fired up. we're thinking about making the trip to dc. depends on if my company is still in business by that time though.

GO PHILS!
    www.myspace.com
    oh come on. that is not even close to an outlandish comment. we're a little bit better than where we were in early november. i think that's fair.

ONLY A FEW WEEKS AWAY!

hearing uncle cholly yesterday got me fired up. we're thinking about making the trip to dc. depends on if my company is still in business by that time though.

GO PHILS!

DUDE. DO IT. I've got 16 of my friends going and we're going to be in a bigger party of 250. Bus ride down and back, all the beer you can drink on the bus & tailgate, and ticket for $69. Not bad at all.

The dude has a site too - http://www.philsfever.com/main.asp and also www.greenlegion.com

It's gonna be AWESOME. I'm super pumped for this now!

ONLY A FEW WEEKS AWAY!

GO PHILS!

DUDE. DO IT. I've got 16 of my friends going and we're going to be in a bigger party of 250. Bus ride down and back, all the beer you can drink on the bus & tailgate, and ticket for $69. Not bad at all.

The dude has a site too - http://www.philsfever.com/main.asp and also http://www.greenlegion.com

interesting....very interesting...
    www.myspace.com

ONLY A FEW WEEKS AWAY!

GO PHILS!

The dude has a site too - http://www.philsfever.com/main.asp and also http://www.greenlegion.com

Dude......I'm tellin ya....One way or another, just make it happen.

I was thinking about this tonight. This season - even though we won a World Series and then won the pennant(who's acting spoiled?) - is like the 2004 Eagles right when they acquired TO. There. I just jinxed us. I just want you to think long and hard about the notion of seeing Leroy "Doc" Halladay in a Phillies uniform.....in his first start of the seaon....in his first start as a Phillie... WHOLE.....LEE.....SHIT

I was thinking about this tonight. This season - even though we won a World Series and then won the pennant(who's acting spoiled?) - is like the 2004 Eagles right when they acquired TO. There. I just jinxed us. I just want you to think long and hard about the notion of seeing Leroy "Doc" Halladay in a Phillies uniform.....in his first start of the seaon....in his first start as a Phillie... WHOLE.....LEE.....SHIT

its the same in that we obtained such a great talent like TO...but its not the same euphoria given what we lost in lee though. a lot of people still have a hard time with that and it's gonna linger throughout the year. i know you don't want to hear that. but its true.

either way, i am psyched
    www.myspace.com

its the same in that we obtained such a great talent like TO...but its not the same euphoria given what we lost in lee though. a lot of people still have a hard time with that and it's gonna linger throughout the year. i know you don't want to hear that. but its true.

either way, i am psyched

Talk about a Debbie Downer......here's the horrible part about all of this......If they don't win the WS, you'll all be disappointed - like, big time. They could go up against whoever in game 7 of the WS, and lose in the 18th inning and this still would be the talk. That's what bothers me.

either way, i am psyched

Talk about a Debbie Downer......here's the horrible part about all of this......If they don't win the WS, you'll all be disappointed - like, big time. They could go up against whoever in game 7 of the WS, and lose in the 18th inning and this still would be the talk. That's what bothers me.

not trying to be a downer. i am psyched for baseball to start. i'm just saying its not the same feeling leading up to the birds 04 season because of that.

it's sort of like last year with the eagles and them letting dawkins go. i was in favor of the move. the team did well, but it hung over them all season and came to light big time when the defense wore down in those last 3 games. the main problem people have with the lee thing is that we expect the team to get to the playoffs. but its hard to be any better than lee was last october. so if they run into similar problems with the rest of the starting pitching in the post season, it cant help but be an issue.
    www.myspace.com
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    big mistake letting lee go

doc or anyone cant be as good as he was inthe playoffs

shit he threw a perfect game in yankee stadium in the world series
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......

It wasn't a perfect game, but damn near it.

By the way, you're all shmoes.

Imagine having Halladay or Lee from April till July? Yeah, they top 100 games last year and have home field in the NL. Between Halladay for a whole season, a 50% better Hamels(that'll happen, write it down), and a marginally better Lidge(I can't see him being as bad as he was last year), and they surge past 93 wins. If you're not excited like 2004 when we got TO, then there is something seriously wrong with you.

Imagine having Halladay or Lee from April till July? Yeah, they top 100 games last year and have home field in the NL. Between Halladay for a whole season, a 50% better Hamels(that'll happen, write it down), and a marginally better Lidge(I can't see him being as bad as he was last year), and they surge past 93 wins. If you're not excited like 2004 when we got TO, then there is something seriously wrong with you.

IT WASN'T PERFECT...but like i said no one can do any better
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......

Yeah. Not even him.

Yeah. Not even him.

Don Larsen disagrees.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah. Not even him.

Don Larsen disagrees.

not in this day and age
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Don Larsen disagrees.

not in this day and age

Roy Campanella, Jackie Robinson, Pee Wee Resse and Duke Snider beg to differ.

Half busting balls half serious, much different game today but Larsen was not facing a bunch of schmucks.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Don Larsen disagrees.

not in this day and age

Half busting balls half serious, much different game today but Larsen was not facing a bunch of schmucks.

im just saying we wont see that in a world series ever again (at least not anytime soon )
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

not in this day and age

im just saying we wont see that in a world series ever again (at least not anytime soon )

Agreed, not going to happen.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Agreed, not going to happen.

Could you go suck the Yanks's balls somewhere else? Thanks.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

:lol: victorino to the left side ;)
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

:lol: victorino to the left side ;)

I don't get it. Oh, and beat it, Person-I-Have-No-Idea-Who-You-Are.

the phillies replaced a cy young winner with another cy young winner. they filled a need that they created.

in '04, the birds replaced james thrash with a future hall of famer and one of the most dynamic personalities in all of sports at the time. i don't see how you think the feeling in the city right now is remotely the same as the weeks leading up to the '04 training camp. that entire year from when we obtainted TO in march to losing in jacksonville was just like september and october of 2008.

nobody is arguing that the team is not gonna be great and steamroll through the national league again. its when we gotta throw blanton up against becket or petite in game 3 of the world series that were concerned about.
    www.myspace.com

the phillies replaced a cy young winner with another cy young winner. they filled a need that they created.

in '04, the birds replaced james thrash with a future hall of famer and one of the most dynamic personalities in all of sports at the time. i don't see how you think the feeling in the city right now is remotely the same as the weeks leading up to the '04 training camp. that entire year from when we obtainted TO in march to losing in jacksonville was just like september and october of 2008.

nobody is arguing that the team is not gonna be great and steamroll through the national league again. its when we gotta throw blanton up against becket or petite in game 3 of the world series that were concerned about.

And THAT is the problem. You're already penciling their name in for the Fall Classic. That's the problem.
This discussion has been closed.