***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    jamminpearls...you fraud.. ;) come on man...lighten up...i was just ribbin ya..but seriously though...dont eff with the official thread...it'll git cha

1wf-gal-anchorman.jpg
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    I'M IN A GLASS CASE OF EMOTION.
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,961

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Wait, wait, wait. I....I need to say something....................AAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

EDIT: By the way, Anchorman 2 scheduled for filming in 2011. Boom.

Wait, wait, wait. I....I need to say something....................AAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

NO SHIT!....was just talking about whether or not a sequel will actually happen with a guy at work literally 10 minutes ago. this is great news...Ron Burgundy thread created...check.
    www.myspace.com

NO SHIT!....was just talking about whether or not a sequel will actually happen with a guy at work literally 10 minutes ago. this is great news...Ron Burgundy thread created...check.

Annnnd Ghostbusters 3. I don't know if that does anything for you, but it does for me.
    Just paid my renewal of my season tickets. Things are lookin up! Now only 75 days until the beginning of the Good Fight. :|:mrgreen:
    On Joe Blanton
    Matt Gelb still here while Andy enjoys some vacation...

The headlining news from players and teams exchanging arbitration figures on Tuesday centered mostly around San Francisco ace Tim Lincecum. The two-time Cy Young award winner is seeking $13 million. The Giants are offering $8 million.

Lincecum is looking to surpass the record for highest salary ever awarded in arbitration -- $10 million.

And so is Joe Blanton.

Yes, that's right. Joe Blanton. He of the 12-8 record and a 4.05 ERA in 2009. He who is slotted as the Phillies' third starter. Not to say those numbers are anything to scoff at, but last time we checked, Blanton hasn't won a Cy Young. Or even appeared in an All-Star game.

Blanton is asking for $10.25 million. The Phillies are offering $7.5 million.

Some perspective: Cliff Lee will make $9 million in 2010 for Seattle. The Phillies will pay Roy Halladay $10 million in 2010. (Halladay's actual salary is $16 million but Toronto is paying $6 million of it this season.) Also facing arbitration, Detroit ace Justin Verlander is asking for $9.5 million. Verlander won 19 games last season and finished third in the American League Cy Young voting...

OK, you get the picture.

Blanton's request of $10.25 million is shocking, considering precedent. Here's why: There can't be any possible way that Blanton's people would expect to win a case should it go to arbitration.

In the last four years, only four pitchers have asked for more money than Blanton during the exchange of figures. They are: Lincecum (2010), Felix Hernandez (2010), Francisco Rodriguez (2008) and Carlos Zambrano (2007). Zambrano settled his case just before the scheduled hearing. Rodriguez lost his case, but was still awarded $10 million, which was what the Angels had offered. That tied the record for largest salary award in arbitration.

Of course, Rodriguez shares that record with Phillies first baseman Ryan Howard along with Alfonso Soriano*. All three were awarded $10 million. Howard won his case; Soriano lost his. Again, we're talking about top-flight players here. Blanton doesn't fit that bill.

*There is an interesting connection in all of this. Blanton's agent is Casey Close, who also represents Howard. Close helped Howard win that record $10 million in 2008. Is he looking to one-up that?

How the Phillies approach this will be interesting. The Phillies have taken a player to arbitration just three times since 1996 -- Howard (2008), Travis Lee (2001) and Willie Banks (1996) -- and the franchise has shown a willingness to avoid the hearing at all costs. But after seeing Blanton's demand, will the front office want to play hardball with the pitcher?

Typically, teams will settle around the midpoint of the exchanged figures before the case can go to arbitration. That would put Blanton's 2010 salary at $8.875 million. That would be a 63 percent raise from Blanton's 2009 salary of $5.454 million.

Does he deserve a 63 percent raise? Last season was probably Blanton's third best in the majors. He put up better numbers in 2005 and 2007. He also won 16 games in 2006.

Can the Phillies settle below the midpoint? Sure. The midpoint is just an unwritten guideline that most deals follow. But what if the Phillies let the case go to arbitration? The panel of three arbitrators must pick either of the two figures -- $10.25 million or $7.5 million. There is no in between. Either the player wins or the team wins.

In this instance, the Phillies would have to be fairly confident in their case.
    www.myspace.com
    Phillies will definitely go to arbitration and win the Blanton case, and I don't mind if they sign Gagne to a minor league contract. Always worth a shot.
    best offseason's per heyman. phils #3 (m's #1):
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/w ... n&hpt=Sbin
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423

if Dan Uggla is worth almost $8 million how much is Chase worth?
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,716
    pjhawks wrote:

On Monday, Dan Uggla agreed to a 7.8 million dollar contract for 2010, avoiding a second year of arbitration. This makes Uggla the highest paid player on the Marlins heading into 2010. Uggla has proven to be a valuable asset over the years – our dollar values have him as being worth at least 10 million dollars each year of his career, and both CHONE and the fans have projected him to be worth over 3 wins, which would put his free agent market value for this year at somewhere between 10.5 and 12 million dollars, based on the current state of the free agent market.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/14726

Comparsion:

Utley

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?pl ... n=2B#value

Uggla

Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

On Monday, Dan Uggla agreed to a 7.8 million dollar contract for 2010, avoiding a second year of arbitration. This makes Uggla the highest paid player on the Marlins heading into 2010. Uggla has proven to be a valuable asset over the years – our dollar values have him as being worth at least 10 million dollars each year of his career, and both CHONE and the fans have projected him to be worth over 3 wins, which would put his free agent market value for this year at somewhere between 10.5 and 12 million dollars, based on the current state of the free agent market.

Comparsion:

Utley

Uggla

Uggla is not a third of the player that Utley is. Didn't Uggla hit like .220 last year? All he does is hit homers. Never been a big fan of his. What does he do well except hit for power once in a while? I know the Marlins are saying they are going to be spending more money in the future just not sure this is the guy to give it to.
    pjhawks wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

Comparsion:

Utley

Uggla

Uggla is not a third of the player that Utley is. Didn't Uggla hit like .220 last year? All he does is hit homers. Never been a big fan of his. What does he do well except hit for power once in a while? I know the Marlins are saying they are going to be spending more money in the future just not sure this is the guy to give it to.

Well if you took a look at the links you would see that the first article states that Uggla is a poor fit for the current Marlins team and the comparision would show you that you are almost correct in the values for this past season. Uggla is pretty much worth a third of what Utley is worth in terms of wins and dollars.
    [quote="Cliffy6745
    Uggla is not a third of the player that Utley is. Didn't Uggla hit like .220 last year? All he does is hit homers. Never been a big fan of his. What does he do well except hit for power once in a while? I know the Marlins are saying they are going to be spending more money in the future just not sure this is the guy to give it to.[/quote]

Well if you took a look at the links you would see that the first article states that Uggla is a poor fit for the current Marlins team and the comparision would show you that you are almost correct in the values for this past season. Uggla is pretty much worth a third of what Utley is worth in terms of wins and dollars.[/quote]

oh ok = still at work and don't click links at work so thought the argument was that Uggla was worth it.
    pjhawks wrote:

oh ok = still at work and don't click links at work so thought the argument was that Uggla was worth it.

Well, yes it does say that Uggla is technically worth what he is getting paid, but is not a good fit for the Marlins, especially since he is such a poor defender. The comparsion also shows that Utley is also worth a whole lot more than he is getting paid. (Note: the values are based on how many wins each player is worth above a replacement player and a monetary value for each win is designated through a whole bunch of factors)
    All I know is Dan Uggla looks like an adult size baby. A baby with a 5 o'clock shadow.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    All I know is Dan Uggla looks like an adult size baby. A baby with a 5 o'clock shadow.

For some reason this baby came to mind....

babyherman.jpg
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    This could be me nit picking, but I was just looking at Utley's numbers....What's everyone think of Chase's drop in doubles? The 40's to the 20's? I guess that could just be bad luck, but doubles tell me a lot about a hitter more than homers, triples, etc.
    Blanton locked up through 2012 for $24 mil. Not bad at all. Liking the moves, Rube! Liking the moves!
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    PHILADELPHIA -- Joe Blanton and the Philadelphia Phillies have agreed to a $24 million, three-year contract that avoided a salary arbitration hearing next month.

The 29-year-old right-hander was 12-8 with a 4.05 ERA last year during the regular season and didn't get a decision in two postseason starts and two relief appearances. After making $5,475,000 last year, he asked for $10.25 million in arbitration and was offered $7.5 million.

All-Star center fielder Shane Victorino and catcher Carlos Ruiz remain in arbitration.

Not a bad deal now get shane locked up.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Blanton locked up through 2012 for $24 mil. Not bad at all. Liking the moves, Rube! Liking the moves!

if only Charlie would have started him in the playoffs instead of our 5th (or 6th) starter in Pedro maybe we would have beaten the Yanks. thought Charlie screwed Joe in the playoffs this year - he pitched real well all year and was great in the 2008 playoffs.
    pjhawks wrote:

if only Charlie would have started him in the playoffs instead of our 5th (or 6th) starter in Pedro maybe we would have beaten the Yanks. thought Charlie screwed Joe in the playoffs this year - he pitched real well all year and was great in the 2008 playoffs.

...if only

if only we let him go before his was arbitration eligable so we could have kept cliff lee for '10!

DOH! :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:

...if only

if only we let him go before his was arbitration eligable so we could have kept cliff lee for '10!

Don't get me started on this again please ;)
    Go Birds!!!!
    pjhawks wrote:

...if only

Don't get me started on this again please ;)

hahaha....sad thing is its probably gonna be a constant theme around here if our pitching starts off the same way it did last year...
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:

ABSOLUTELY.

And I don't wanna hear about Cliff Lee anymore. Enough.

DOH! :mrgreen:[/quote]
    Don't get me started on this again please ;)[/quote][/quote]

hahaha....sad thing is its probably gonna be a constant theme around here if our pitching starts off the same way it did last year...[/quote]

I here u i think buster onley has a insider thing about why the phillies messed up the whole lee situation. Im not an insider so i couldn't read the whole article.
    Go Birds!!!!

Don't get me started on this again please ;)[/quote][/quote]

hahaha....sad thing is its probably gonna be a constant theme around here if our pitching starts off the same way it did last year...[/quote]

I here u i think buster onley has a insider thing about why the phillies messed up the whole lee situation. Im not an insider so i couldn't read the whole article.[/quote]

do you need to quote properly to gain "insider" status? :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:

ABSOLUTELY.

And I don't wanna hear about Cliff Lee anymore. Enough.

the ghost of 2010 cliff lee will haunt you for years to come
    www.myspace.com
    This could be me nit picking, but I was just looking at Utley's numbers....What's everyone think of Chase's drop in doubles? The 40's to the 20's? I guess that could just be bad luck, but doubles tell me a lot about a hitter more than homers, triples, etc.

Pretty intersting and looking at his stats the last couple years are really interesting. I am sure you guys could explain this a lot better than most as you watch him every day, but his numbers are fun to look at. The decline in doubles has really taken a toll on his SLG% which is to be expected since his 3B and HR's remained fairly consistent.

What I do find interesting is that since 2007 he has gone from a .332/.410/.566 (BA/OBP/SLG) to a .282/.397/.508 in 2009 (2008 was down from 2007 as well). Also his walk and K numbers have also increased over the last 3 years from 50 walks and 89 K's in 2007 to 88 walks and 110 K's in 2009.

Taking a look at FanGraphs, last year he had his lowest line drive % and highest fly ball % of his career. It also looks like he swung at a WHOLE lot less pitches last year than in 2008. In 2009 he only swung at 37% of pitches compared to a career average of 42%.

It seems to me like he may have been much more selective on pitches over the past year or so which may have hurt him. Has he gone from more of a see the ball-hit the ball hitter to a much more patient hitter?

This is no knock on Utley at all. He is one of the best players in baseball period. I just love talking baseball and looking at players stats.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Pretty intersting and looking at his stats the last couple years are really interesting. I am sure you guys could explain this a lot better than most as you watch him every day, but his numbers are fun to look at. The decline in doubles has really taken a toll on his SLG% which is to be expected since his 3B and HR's remained fairly consistent.

What I do find interesting is that since 2007 he has gone from a .332/.410/.566 (BA/OBP/SLG) to a .282/.397/.508 in 2009 (2008 was down from 2007 as well). Also his walk and K numbers have also increased over the last 3 years from 50 walks and 89 K's in 2007 to 88 walks and 110 K's in 2009.

Taking a look at FanGraphs, last year he had his lowest line drive % and highest fly ball % of his career. It also looks like he swung at a WHOLE lot less pitches last year than in 2008. In 2009 he only swung at 37% of pitches compared to a career average of 42%.

It seems to me like he may have been much more selective on pitches over the past year or so which may have hurt him. Has he gone from more of a see the ball-hit the ball hitter to a much more patient hitter?

This is no knock on Utley at all. He is one of the best players in baseball period. I just love talking baseball and looking at players stats.

i think the hip problem is something that never really goes away and has affected his swing to some degree. he is still awesome but his swing is not quite as fluid as it once was.
This discussion has been closed.