***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,431
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    votto is fucking good. that was a hell of an AB

how was that at-bat in the 8th with the tying run on 3rd with a 2-0 count on our 7th best pitcher? i guess it didn't matter though since RBIs don't count :lol:

didn't he fly out? I don't remember the result.

not sure why you are ripping him for one AB...the guy is a flat out beast. remember when you laughed at me for saying Id take votto over howard? that was funny then...hilarious now

week grounder to chase that chase almost threw away. just having a little fun since you can't seem to ever stop commenting about our 1st basemen's bad at-bats. votto has had 2 unbelievable years. when you made that comment he was one-month into his 1st great year. not matter how good votto is and/or continues to be it doesn't take away what ryan has done and continues to do for this franchise. gotta admit it's gonna be fun and exciting watching ryan for the 5th straight year in the playoffs.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    pjhawks wrote:

just having a little fun since you can't seem to ever stop commenting about our 1st basemen's bad at-bats. .

I was complaining about his defense last night. since you mention it though, his ABs were atrocious as well. though I did get a good laugh from his AB vs bray
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,848
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    .815 OPS for Howard? Saw that last night and couldn't believe it.

he's having by far the worst year of his career. good thing he signed that huge extension

at least he has a lot of RBIs :roll:

Will you just get over it already?? This is the best team the Phillies have ever put on the field and Howard's .250 average isn't hurting anybody. And lose the lame eyes-rolling smiley face over the RBIs. Would you rather him hit .250 and NOT have a lot of RBIs???
    No, I want him to have a lot of RBIs AND play up to the standards of his contract! And .250 is BELOW those standards.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    .815 OPS for Howard? Saw that last night and couldn't believe it.

he's having by far the worst year of his career. good thing he signed that huge extension

Will you just get over it already?? This is the best team the Phillies have ever put on the field and Howard's .250 average isn't hurting anybody. And lose the lame eyes-rolling smiley face over the RBIs. Would you rather him hit .250 and NOT have a lot of RBIs???
    No, I want him to have a lot of RBIs AND play up to the standards of his contract! And .250 is BELOW those standards.

haha, the quote at the end is funny. and on point

they probably could have signed pujols or fielder (better players) for less than howard got. just sayin
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

just having a little fun since you can't seem to ever stop commenting about our 1st basemen's bad at-bats. .

I was complaining about his defense last night. since you mention it though, his ABs were atrocious as well. though I did get a good laugh from his AB vs bray

the bray one was bad but i wouldn't call the other ones atrocious (and let me point out his average vs. lefties is still better than your boy chase's this year). and none came with runners in scoring position or with the tying run on 3rd with 2 outs so they were pretty meaningless at-bats. give me big hits in big spots over meaningless hits with no one on (you know like polanco...)
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

haha, the quote at the end is funny. and on point

they probably could have signed pujols or fielder (better players) for less than howard got. just sayin

I figured you'd like that quote. Look, I'm not gonna disagree with you that Pujols and Fielder are better all-around players. But I just can't believe any Phlllies fan could complain about anything at this point. If you told me during the Francona years that we would someday have the best team in the league but our #4 hitter wouldn't be as good as his contract says he is, I'd take that.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

the bray one was bad but i wouldn't call the other ones atrocious (and let me point out his average vs. lefties is still better than your boy chase's this year). and none came with runners in scoring position or with the tying run on 3rd with 2 outs so they were pretty meaningless at-bats. give me big hits in big spots over meaningless hits with no one on (you know like polanco...)

howard has a higher avg vs lefties than utley over a 3 month span...congrats. Just goes to show how much howard has struggled vs righties and lefties this season (since he's hitting 240 something overall)

anyway, I don't feel like getting into a heated thing here. howard was awful last night and it's frustrating to think that I have to watch him on a daily basis for the next 5 years after this season.

prime example of why most of the time it's dumb to extend contracts 2 years before you have to
    I figured you'd like that quote. Look, I'm not gonna disagree with you that Pujols and Fielder are better all-around players. But I just can't believe any Phlllies fan could complain about anything at this point. If you told me during the Francona years that we would someday have the best team in the league but our #4 hitter wouldn't be as good as his contract says he is, I'd take that.

probably not the best mindset to have, but this season is all about the playoffs for me. anything less than a WS appearance will be a huge disappointment. a WS loss would be tough as well since they will most likely be favored.

hopefully they get/stay healthy and utley/howard both get hot going into playoffs. neither of them has been great this season (which makes it pretty amazing that they have won so many games)
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Yeah he sucks!!!!!!!!!!
    Go Birds!!!!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,551
    Yeah he sucks!!!!!!!!!!

all aboard :)

the reds stink
    www.myspace.com
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,378
    I'm in KC for a meeting. How bout that Doc! 3 run double. :o
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16

he is unreal. nice win. hopefully kong heats up. he always seems to do well in cincy.

you guys gotta check out the youtube clip at the end of this. unbelievable how uncoordinated this guy is.

http://www.thefightins.com/meechone/dom ... gh-valley/

EDIT: The Power & Light District section of KC isnt bad
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,551
    The Fixer wrote:

he is unreal. nice win. hopefully kong heats up. he always seems to do well in cincy.

you guys gotta check out the youtube clip at the end of this. unbelievable how uncoordinated this guy is.

cliff posted that yesterday day too.

i dunno....i don't think a little humility is necessarily a bad thing for the guy. not giving up on him yet.
    www.myspace.com
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Phillies get lefty-hitting John Bowker from Pirates http://t.co/Cst1SUZ
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    How did The Fixer land a gig writing for Bill Simmons?

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/691 ... a-phillies

Pearl Jam bootlegs:

terrble article. added nothing new whatsoever. actually kind of lazy writing. the only question to be asked is can revenues stay in-line with said payroll. if so then i don't see a problem as you can always get players to come here if you are willing to pay. this team as it currently stands has at least a 3-year window still. one of only 3 teams to have a winning record 7 straight years so it's not like this is a one or two year run either.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,729
    pjhawks wrote:

terrble article. added nothing new whatsoever. actually kind of lazy writing. the only question to be asked is can revenues stay in-line with said payroll. if so then i don't see a problem as you can always get players to come here if you are willing to pay. this team as it currently stands has at least a 3-year window still. one of only 3 teams to have a winning record 7 straight years so it's not like this is a one or two year run either.

How is that terrible? It is pretty spot on. The Phillies are the best team in baseball now but are aging fast and have a lot of money tied up. What's to argue?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

How is that terrible? It is pretty spot on. The Phillies are the best team in baseball now but are aging fast and have a lot of money tied up. What's to argue?

i didn't say the article was wrong i just said it didn't add anything new which it didn't. everyone knows the phils lineup is aging and their payroll is high. and the payroll being high is irrelevant as long as the revenues continue or get higher (which i suspect they will when next local tv contract is up). it's not like they are looking to cut payroll anytime soon. as i said above as long as they are willing to pay good to great players will want to come here and the winning will continue, like the red sox and yanks (the only other 2 teams with 7+ years of winning records).
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,977
    I can tell you right now - the Phils will not have a "new" tv contract. They are going to be sticking with Comcast. They definitely won't have their own network like the Yanks or Red Sox.
    I can tell you right now - the Phils will not have a "new" tv contract. They are going to be sticking with Comcast. They definitely won't have their own network like the Yanks or Red Sox.

no didn't mean it like that. last i heard their contract with comcast wasn't all that great because it was signed back before this run. i believe there are still a few more years on the deal but when it comes up again expect a huge increase from it.
    The Fixer wrote:

cliff posted that yesterday day too.

i dunno....i don't think a little humility is necessarily a bad thing for the guy. not giving up on him yet.

just amazing to me that someone can be so close to/in the majors and not be able to catch fly balls. it really isn't difficult
    His head doesn't seem in it anymore

Maybe he needs a mental break or something

Not exactly someone I want added to the playoff roster at this point

Love the utley and howard stuff in there. I get angry every time I read somethign about howards contract. so fucking dumb

Hopefully this team can win it all this year.

Some of those attempts were pitiful. Reminded of smalls just sticking his glove in the air hoping the ball would land in it. Yankees said they thought Montero was bored in the minor leagues and wasn't giving it his all earlier this year, maybe/hopefully for you guys that's it and he is just being young and bitter.

smallscatch.jpg
    Another point the article didn't make is that ouside of the howard monstrosity, the phils have done a pretty good job of not committing long term to aging players. ibanez is gone, polanco only has one year left, schneider is gone, etc. Most of their contracts are manageable. If they keep their payroll at the current level, they should be able to find free agents to replace these guys. Not the ideal strategy as having prospects to fill in is a better option, but it's not the end of the world either. especially if the kids they have in AAA (schwimmer, defratus, aumont, etc) can fill out the pen in the next year or so.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Some of those attempts were pitiful. Reminded of smalls just sticking his glove in the air hoping the ball would land in it. Yankees said they thought Montero was bored in the minor leagues and wasn't giving it his all earlier this year, maybe/hopefully for you guys that's it and he is just being young and bitter.

smallscatch.jpg

Yeah I could see that

Going from the team with the best record in BB and now being thrown back into the doldrums of minor league ball where Im sure he believes he doesnt belong

The Fixer wrote:
    Another point the article didn't make is that ouside of the howard monstrosity, the phils have done a pretty good job of not committing long term to aging players. ibanez is gone, polanco only has one year left, schneider is gone, etc. Most of their contracts are manageable. If they keep their payroll at the current level, they should be able to find free agents to replace these guys. Not the ideal strategy as having prospects to fill in is a better option, but it's not the end of the world either. especially if the kids they have in AAA (schwimmer, defratus, aumont, etc) can fill out the pen in the next year or so.

My buddy and I were talking today would you rather let Madson go and re-sign JRoll and then use Bastardo as your closer ?

Or keep Madson and let Jroll walk ?

Cliffy6745 wrote:

smallscatch.jpg

Yeah I could see that

Going from the team with the best record in BB and now being thrown back into the doldrums of minor league ball where Im sure he believes he doesnt belong

Gotta keep in mind too that you are dealing with kids who have been the best at what they do their entire lives. I can't imagine what kind of prick I would be in that situation.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Gotta keep in mind too that you are dealing with kids who have been the best at what they do their entire lives. I can't imagine what kind of prick I would be in that situation.

Yeah..it would be tough to be modest and not a total dick :lol:

Not like little league can be compared to the majors but when I played little league and high school I'll never forget the coach sitting us returning players aside and putting us in our place for just assuming we were all making the team

Its definitely tough to keep your head clear and focused when you know how good you are

This discussion has been closed.