***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    The Fixer wrote:
    and polanco in the 5 spot just doesn't work. 138/212/276 from that spot in the lineup. horrible. the guy should never be hitting in the middle of the order

I agree but in these early months of the season it doesn't hurt to try it out to see.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,598
    The Fixer wrote:
    and polanco in the 5 spot just doesn't work. 138/212/276 from that spot in the lineup. horrible. the guy should never be hitting in the middle of the order

I agree but in these early months of the season it doesn't hurt to try it out to see.

and he was struggling at the plate well before they moved him to 5 spot. really since the beginning of may.
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,987
    The Fixer wrote:

and he was struggling at the plate well before they moved him to 5 spot. really since the beginning of may.

AKA because he's more hurt than he's letting on. Which sucks.
    Also, in regards to Oswalt, I was saying this shit before he left for Mississippi for his family, but people were jumping on me of being irrational. But it does make sense.

Family or not, dude ruptured his back before a couple weeks before then. Vaguely I remember a game at home where he was rolling, then boom, shit happened. But then, in his next start in San Diego, dude was throwing a no-no and everyone thought everything was fine. What people weren't noticing is he was throwing it mostly by using his change-up and barely used his fastball. And there was a play where he went to pick up a bunt without bending his back. So, this is what I think he does - gets the shot in his back, as he did last year, and then try to ride this thing out if the velocity of his fastball comes back, and retire after the season. BUT, if it doesn't, I could see him just walking away in the middle of the season. Which, again, wouldn't be a bad thing, as long as he does so before July 31 - it'll make the wiggle room of picking up a big-name reliever and a decent bat that much better.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,395

This is the problem with an aging roster and trading prospects for pitchers every year. Obviously we also see the benefits.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16

This is the problem with an aging roster and trading prospects for pitchers every year. Obviously we also see the benefits.

Yeah, a 62% winning percentage, and on pace to win 100 games with a horrendous offense. That alone is mind boggling.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

Yeah, a 62% winning percentage, and on pace to win 100 games with a horrendous offense. That alone is mind boggling.

I think that is more indicative of how bad the league has been than how well the phils have played. great rotation, but the rest of the team is average. big names in the lineup that just aren't the same players they used to be. and a terrible bullpen
    The Fixer wrote:

Well, considering he's in his mid 30's and has never been a middle of the order guy I think it's safe to say he's not going to turn into one at this point in his career. he is what he is...and that's not a guy that should be hitting 3rd or 5th. ever
    The Fixer wrote:
    I think that is more indicative of how bad the league has been than how well the phils have played. great rotation, but the rest of the team is average. big names in the lineup that just aren't the same players they used to be. and a terrible bullpen

I kind of like our bullpen. The Stutes/Bastardo combo almost gives me the confidence that I had in 2008 when we have a lead in the 7th. I really felt good about it after the Cardinals' meltdown on Tuesday.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    The Fixer wrote:

I kind of like our bullpen. The Stutes/Bastardo combo almost gives me the confidence that I had in 2008 when we have a lead in the 7th. I really felt good about it after the Cardinals' meltdown on Tuesday.

really? I like stutes. and bastardo has been great. I won't be real confident when stutes is the one being called on in the 8th inning of a playoff game and has to get a guy like braun, weeks, pujols, etc. in a big spot.

they don't have a 7th inning guy at this point.
    The Fixer wrote:

Stutes is bad ass. Besides, how often does this team even need a 7th inning guy?

The Fixer wrote:

Stutes is bad ass. Besides, how often does this team even need a 7th inning guy?

Exactly. Especially in the playoffs, you should be expecting 7 innings from these starters.
    The Fixer wrote:

I just don't see him as a shutdown guy out of the pen. He's a nice piece

Will be interesting to see how he does in 2nd half as teams see him for the 2nd and 3rd times

EDIT: and chad durbin played a pretty big part in this team winning it all...handling mostly the 7th inning
    The Fixer wrote:

Will be interesting to see how he does in 2nd half as teams see him for the 2nd and 3rd times

EDIT: and chad durbin played a pretty big part in this team winning it all...handling mostly the 7th inning

....when jamie moyer, joe blanton, and bret myers struggled to get past 6.
    www.myspace.com
    And also add, Clay Condrey was pretty damn good that season as well. Just shows you how flash-in-a-pan-lucky you need to get with a 'pen.

Everyone here should be expecting nothing less than 7 innings from Doc, Cole, and Cliff in the playoffs.
    The Fixer wrote:

....when jamie moyer, joe blanton, and bret myers struggled to get past 6.

true. even so, you guys are comfortable with bastardo/stutes in the 8th inning of playoff games? it's not like they can pitch every day either
    I wouldn't say comfortable, but if that's all we're worrying about on June 24 then I'm fine with that. My point is it's June 24th.

EDIT: And I guess we need something to complain about.
    I wouldn't say comfortable, but if that's all we're worrying about on June 24 then I'm fine with that. My point is it's June 24th.

Of course I do. My point is that they aren't as good as their record indicates. They have the best record in baseball, but they are not the best team in baseball. They need to upgrade the pen and corner OF spots

Just checked to see who I was getting in the boston game wednesday night. Lackey vs TBD. WTF
    The Fixer wrote:

Of course I do. My point is that they aren't as good as their record indicates. They have the best record in baseball, but they are not the best team in baseball. They need to upgrade the pen and corner OF spots

Just checked to see who I was getting in the boston game wednesday night. Lackey vs TBD. WTF

Hope we don't turn Lackey's season around like Carpenter last night. :roll:

Yes, my whole point is that I am definitely comfortable with Bastardo in the 8th. He is just sick. And I think I'm pretty comfortable with Stutes late in the game, though definitely not to the level of the Bastard. If Herndon continues to be decent, then that's not too bad. Not as good as 2008, but it doesn't need to be.

You've probably heard me beg for a bullpen youth movement on here a few times - it's finally happening and it's working out fine. It's the old fucks who are screwing it up.

Anybody know what percentage of MLB relief pitchers are Latin American? Seems like a LOT of them.

The Fixer wrote:

Of course I do. My point is that they aren't as good as their record indicates. They have the best record in baseball, but they are not the best team in baseball. .

...but they're the best team in their league. and it's june. over 3 months left to get better. ;)
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

Of course I do. My point is that they aren't as good as their record indicates. They have the best record in baseball, but they are not the best team in baseball. .

...but they're the best team in their league. and it's june. over 3 months left to get better. ;)

you really are an eternal optimist. are you like this with everything?
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

the phils are pretty good dude. most of the nl isn't. i like their odds. that's just being realistic.

do you walk around with a perpetual black cloud over your head? :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

the phils are pretty good dude. most of the nl isn't. i like their odds. that's just being realistic.

Agree about the phils and the NL. Was the same way last year. you're overly optimistic with all the teams you root for though. seriously, are you this optimistic about everything in life?
    The Fixer wrote:
    Agree about the phils and the NL. Was the same way last year. you're overly optimistic with all the teams you root for though. seriously, are you this optimistic about everything in life?

Nothing wrong with that. I wish I was more optimistic.

• jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    The Fixer wrote:

Seriously Fixer thinks we should have an all star at every position.
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

nah man, you feel that way because you're just incredibly negative. seriously seems like 90% of your posts, in all threads, are negative. life's too short, my friend.

if you get to the point where you cannot enjoy/get excited about the regular season of the best team in the league, as frustrating as they are at times, because you're afraid of what might happen in october...that's kind of sad actually. '08 spoiled some people i guess.
    www.myspace.com
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    '08 spoiled some people i guess.

You guess??? I have friends who had the nerve to say the Phils CHOKED last year in the playoffs! They either forget the Terry Francona years or are fair-weather fans who weren't watching during the Francona years to begin with. I for one will take 4 straight playoff appearances any day.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    another stellar offensive performance
    The Fixer wrote:

Ignoring this team's flaws just reminds me of kramer's gf toby that works with elaine (in the seinfeld episode where jerry gets heckled on stage). 'It's great. really, really great!!'
    nah man, you feel that way because you're just incredibly negative. seriously seems like 90% of your posts, in all threads, are negative. life's too short, my friend.

if you get to the point where you cannot enjoy/get excited about the regular season of the best team in the league, as frustrating as they are at times, because you're afraid of what might happen in october...that's kind of sad actually. '08 spoiled some people i guess.

The line about negativity in all posts is funny. You would realize this isn't true if you followed all of the philly teams instead of watching 2,235 TV shows. I was pimping the flyers more than anyone this year. I'm negative in the sixers thread because, really, there is nothing to be excited about. A 500 season isn't reason for celebration (unless you are overly optimistic).

Isn't this team supposed to win it all? anything else will be a disappointment. don't know how you can disagree with that.

Holy shit, a hit
This discussion has been closed.