***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,408
    francisco stinks. i think i saw gload might have to have surgery. i'd put him on the dl too.

start playing the kid more regularly...

every day line up will finally make it's debut tomorrow :clap::clap:

Can't wait to see it!

I'm sick of Francisco. He's not much of a hitter anyways. And he's a terrible "baseball player." He might put up half decent sabermetric stats, but doesn't do anything helpful that is team related.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    francisco stinks. i think i saw gload might have to have surgery. i'd put him on the dl too.

start playing the kid more regularly...

every day line up will finally make it's debut tomorrow :clap::clap:

Can't wait to see it!

I'm sick of Francisco. He's not much of a hitter anyways. And he's a terrible "baseball player." He might put up half decent sabermetric stats, but doesn't do anything helpful that is team related.

i love how so many people just assumed we'd be fine with him in right. yeah he won't be a noticeable drop off of jayson werth's production/defense :roll: :lol: he's not an every day player.

3 righties in a row followed by ted lilly. perfect time to ease the young buck into the lineup on a regular basis...
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,734
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/ ... ebt-rules/

Not sure what that means, if anything but probably not a great thing.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/03/nine-of-thirty-teams-in-violation-of-mlbs-debt-rules/

I'm somewhat privy to some info on the Phillies' primary owner, and I am nowhere near at all concerned about this.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/03/nine-of-thirty-teams-in-violation-of-mlbs-debt-rules/

I'm somewhat privy to some info on the Phillies' primary owner, and I am nowhere near at all concerned about this.

Yeah, I just think this means the Phillies might not be printing as much money as everyone, including me, thought they were. I don't think it has anything to do with the owners pockets, the Nats are on the list.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,436
    Phils sent Mayberry down and activated Victorino. Should have been Francisco or Martinez (rule 5 i know but what are we saving him for? like herndon last year a wasted roster spot) or a pitcher (do we need 2 shitty lefties in the bullpen along with zagurski?). makes no sense to have Francisco over Mayberry. Mayberry can play all 3 outfield postions and 1st and is a much better baserunner. mayberry just makes more sense as a 4th outfielder. ugh how come bums like Francisco never get hurt?
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    pjhawks wrote:
    Phils sent Mayberry down and activated Victorino. Should have been Francisco or Martinez (rule 5 i know but what are we saving him for? like herndon last year a wasted roster spot) or a pitcher (do we need 2 shitty lefties in the bullpen along with zagurski?). makes no sense to have Francisco over Mayberry. Mayberry can play all 3 outfield postions and 1st and is a much better baserunner. mayberry just makes more sense as a 4th outfielder. ugh how come bums like Francisco never get hurt?

yeah but they do that so that he can play every day, up here, he would be the fourth outfielder and he'd be sitting on the bench instead of seeing action every day.

makes total sense. All it takes is a single call to get him back up.

and I'm psyched for Victorino coming back too, tonight's line up is going to look particularly "normal" and that can only be a good thing :D
  • tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, I just think this means the Phillies might not be printing as much money as everyone, including me, thought they were. I don't think it has anything to do with the owners pockets, the Nats are on the list.
    Unless they raised ticket prices this seasons, there's a good chance the Phillies are making less money this year than they did last year. I don't know a lot about their financial situation, but you would have to assume stuff like their tv contracts, radio contracts, and advertisements are multi year deals. So any money made off of those would be the same as last year.
    pjhawks wrote:

yeah but they do that so that he can play every day, up here, he would be the fourth outfielder and he'd be sitting on the bench instead of seeing action every day.

makes total sense. All it takes is a single call to get him back up.

and I'm psyched for Victorino coming back too, tonight's line up is going to look particularly "normal" and that can only be a good thing :D

i hate that 'play every day' argument. to me getting 8-10 at-bats a week against major league pitchers is better than 30 or 40 at-bats in triple A. 95% of the pitchers in AAA are career minor leaguers and fringe pitchers at best. i don't really think it helps, especially a player who has been in the majors and started 13 straight games.
    Unless they raised ticket prices this seasons, there's a good chance the Phillies are making less money this year than they did last year. I don't know a lot about their financial situation, but you would have to assume stuff like their tv contracts, radio contracts, and advertisements are multi year deals. So any money made off of those would be the same as last year.

1- They did raise ticket prices this year; they do every year.
    2- They produce their own TV, so they would reap any increase in ad revenue. I don't know if it's multi-year deals, but with the hype going in they clearly were in a position to charge more for all of this.

Make no mistake: they are printing money.

Mayberry seemed to hit well off the bench, and I'd like to see him platoon with Ibanez. But yeah, he's really not gonna play all that much up here, so I guess it doesn't hurt to keep him sharp in AAA. He plays a nice OF, but I think he's only hitting around .230 or so. (somebody look it up :lol: ) The team isn't really gonna lose games because John Mayberry Jr. is in AAA for a while.

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    hey I didn't make the rules, I just know the thinking behind it :lol:

Just like I never understand the idea of using a pitcher as a set up guy and then maybe at some point in the season you need him a closer, how they say you can't do that, it fucks up their mind

Why? The purpose is the same, get the guy at the plate out. Yeah the situation is different, but the desired result is the still the same.

I never understood that, but that's another one of those things like wanting someone to play everyday instead of sitting the bench

2- They produce their own TV, so they would reap any increase in ad revenue. I don't know if it's multi-year deals, but with the hype going in they clearly were in a position to charge more for all of this.

Produce their own tv? The phillies are broadcast by Comcast and I am sure have multi year deals. They do not reap the benefits of TV like NESN or YES does. You can't even compare the situations.

No doubt the Phillies have money, their payroll has increased however much in the past 3 years which is a great thing for baseball in general, but it has to at least raise some warning flags that they have debt that is 10 times its annual earnings. Like I said, I don't think this tells you much, but I do think it says you won't be seeing them jump much if at all above the luxury tax any time soon.
    i'd rather mayberry than francisco too but i do agree with the playing every day thing. fancisco also makes more $...

plus i think francisco is much better as a utility guy playing every few days. this is a good role for him.

numbers game. mayberry will be back.
    www.myspace.com
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    Anyone heading to PNC this weekend? My first trip to their "new" park. I'm heading out for the Sat/Sun games. Was hoping for Halladay / Lee weekend, but maybe Kendrick will put together a decent outing.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Produce their own tv? The phillies are broadcast by Comcast and I am sure have multi year deals. They do not reap the benefits of TV like NESN or YES does. You can't even compare the situations.

No doubt the Phillies have money, their payroll has increased however much in the past 3 years which is a great thing for baseball in general, but it has to at least raise some warning flags that they have debt that is 10 times its annual earnings. Like I said, I don't think this tells you much, but I do think it says you won't be seeing them jump much if at all above the luxury tax any time soon.

i think their TV deal is really lacking. i remember an article for a year or two ago saying there were still in the midst of the TV deal that was signed before the current run so the rates weren't really high. expect a huge increase in revenue once that deal is up (no clue when that is). and Amaro has already stated they will never go over the luxury tax.
    edited June 2011
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

edit: somehow ended up with this post 3x. and it wasn't even one of my brilliant ones
    Post edited by pjhawks on
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i think their TV deal is really lacking. i remember an article for a year or two ago saying there were still in the midst of the TV deal that was signed before the current run so the rates weren't really high. expect a huge increase in revenue once that deal is up (no clue when that is). and Amaro has already stated they will never go over the luxury tax.
    the one owner just sold that cigar company for billions. not concerned.
    www.myspace.com
    the one owner just sold that cigar company for billions. not concerned.

And Ted Lerner is worth $3 billion or whatever, not really the point.
    Yes, they do produce their own TV. That's why the Channel 17 broadcasts are the same as the CSN broadcasts.

I wouldn't argue with you about in-depth Yankees knowledge. Why? Because I know you know more than me. Vice versa with the Phillies.

Yes, they do produce their own TV. That's why the Channel 17 broadcasts are the same as the CSN broadcasts.

I wouldn't argue with you about in-depth Yankees knowledge. Why? Because I know you know more than me. Vice versa with the Phillies.

I don't disagree and I never said the Phillies don't have money, I just think it has to be a little concerning that the Phillies have that amount of debt. They are the only team on that list of teams in that situation who are not a joke or have a specific reason.

http://blogs.forbes.com/mikeozanian/201 ... cliff-lee/
    anyone doing anything for the bike race?

another reminder of me getting older happened today when someone said it was this weekend and i had no idea.

this used to be a yearly event for me and my crew back in the day. friends of mine had a place on shurs lane for years after college. hanging out drinking all day long (god bless out-door day time drinking)...followed by a blackout...then a whole lot of uneccessary rowdiness all over the yunk in the evening. oh, and a bike race. good times.
    www.myspace.com
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Francisco should have been sent down before Mayberry,since Mayberry brings alot more to the team. Martinez should have been the real one to go but we like holding onto rule 5 guys.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118

I mean really raise ticket prices. Enough to offset a decent portion of the increase in payroll.
    finally:

1. Jimmy Rollins
    2. Chase Utley
    3. Placido Polanco
    4. Ryan Howard
    5. Shane Victorino
    6. Raul Ibanez
    7. Dom Brown
    8. Carlos Ruiz
    9. Cole Hamels

:D :thumbup:
    www.myspace.com
    finally:

1. Jimmy Rollins
    2. Chase Utley
    3. Placido Polanco
    4. Ryan Howard
    5. Shane Victorino
    6. Raul Ibanez
    7. Dom Brown
    8. Carlos Ruiz
    9. Cole Hamels

victorino 5th is interesting. looks a hell of a lot better than about 2 weeks ago doesn't it? :D
    pjhawks wrote:
    finally:

1. Jimmy Rollins
    2. Chase Utley
    3. Placido Polanco
    4. Ryan Howard
    5. Shane Victorino
    6. Raul Ibanez
    7. Dom Brown
    8. Carlos Ruiz
    9. Cole Hamels

victorino 5th is interesting. looks a hell of a lot better than about 2 weeks ago doesn't it? :D

sure does. hopefully we stay injury free. still have a solid 2 months to evaluate it before trade deadline...
    www.myspace.com

I mean really raise ticket prices. Enough to offset a decent portion of the increase in payroll.

$3 per ticket increase x 3,000,000 tixx = $9,000,000.

Glad our regular lineup scored so many runs tonight. :roll:

Well at least we have Kendrick pitching tomorrow. :twisted:

This discussion has been closed.