***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,734
    That makes sense even though i don't think it's all or nothing but were both allowed to have an opinion.

Absolutely and fair enough. And it's not like I don't understand why you guys like him, I get it, just don't agree.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,734
    Name me your top 5 power hitters in baseball.

Thing is, that's my point though, all he is is a power hitter. No average, no defense, so so on base %.

Only offense, power specifically, I would take Pujols, Hamilton, Caberea, Arod (Edit:) Agon over him any day. When considering all aspect of the game, I would add a whole bunch of players to that list.
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Thing is, that's my point though, all he is is a power hitter. No average, no defense, so so on base %.

Only offense, power specifically, I would take Pujols, Hamilton, Caberea, Arod over him any day. When considering all aspect of the game, I would add a whole bunch of players to that list.

280 career avg isn't bad,plus he's not as bad as a 1st baseman as people say. Is he great not at all does he suck not at all. Albert's in a diff league then anyone besides him Howards better then u think. He does some things so so and others great. How he affects a lineup dosen't show up just in his stats.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Howard carried the team into the 2009 World Series. He just couldn't figure out Damaso Marte. It happens. It's a game of matchups. In 2010 playoffs he was injured - maybe he shouldn't have been playing.

utley was injured in the 09 WS too. that um, didn't effect him

if you're hurt, don't play. weak excuse
    It's so nice to see Howard's bat making moves. Francisco has been on fire, too. Not sure how long it's going to last, but I'll take it. Also nice to see Chooch making an appearance :D

By the way, nice to have some new folks on here. First thing you need to do is choose your side in the Great Ten Club Philadelphia Ryan Howard Debate. :lol:

haha. I agree on both accounts. welcome, and I'd like to apologize in advance
    It's so nice to see Howard's bat making moves. Francisco has been on fire, too. Not sure how long it's going to last, but I'll take it. Also nice to see Chooch making an appearance :D

By the way, nice to have some new folks on here. First thing you need to do is choose your side in the Great Ten Club Philadelphia Ryan Howard Debate. :lol:
    How any Philly sports fan can dislike him is beyond me. Production is not appreciated by all and it blows my mind.

never said I didn't like the guy. just that he's overrated. only thing I hate is his contract (and his fielding...and baserunning...and ABs vs lefties)
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,410
    Johnny, wait, why's your sister a Rockies fan?

She's been out there almost 15 years and was never a big fan at home. Since they're raising kids out there and all they just root for the Denver teams (I don't think they like the Avs). They hooked me up with a ticket to the 98 AFC Champ Game vs. the Jets - Elway's last game at Mile High. That was fun. :D

I usually get the upper hand in making fun of them in the Phils v Rockies games, which are always entertaining (except for the 2007 debacle, of course).
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Only offense, power specifically, I would take Pujols, Hamilton, Caberea, Arod (Edit:) Agon over him any day. When considering all aspect of the game, I would add a whole bunch of players to that list.

howard is a black adam dunn.

put dunn in the phils lineup and he puts up the same numbers (just a higher OBP). fact
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Only offense, power specifically, I would take Pujols, Hamilton, Caberea, Arod over him any day. When considering all aspect of the game, I would add a whole bunch of players to that list.

280 career avg isn't bad,plus he's not as bad as a 1st baseman as people say. Is he great not at all does he suck not at all. Albert's in a diff league then anyone besides him Howards better then u think. He does some things so so and others great. How he affects a lineup dosen't show up just in his stats.

dude, he's a terrible first baseman. only 1b I've ever seen field throws from infielders with two hands.

anyway, sorry I brought this back up. we've been through all this shit before
    The Fixer wrote:
    anyway, sorry I brought this back up. we've been through all this shit before

I think I brought it up. UGH :roll:

GO PHILS!!!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    days of our phillies is back in action i see

i say bring on the howard talk :P

just wanna say this advance, congrats on taking 2 out of 3 from us
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

metsfan wrote:

Please, that reverse jinx shit isn't gonna work around here. 8-)

metsfan wrote:

Please, that reverse jinx shit isn't gonna work around here. 8-)
    i don't do that reverse jinx bull shit, never have and never will. just stating a fact is all. 8-)

No one's yelling it's just a good old discussion. Adam Dunn's numbers don't come close to Howard's numbers. Dunn avgs 40 and 99 Howard avgs 47 and 139.
    Go Birds!!!!
    popcorn.gif guiness.gif

No one's yelling it's just a good old discussion. Adam Dunn's numbers don't come close to Howard's numbers. Dunn avgs 40 and 99 Howard avgs 47 and 139.

howard is better than dunn. just saying that if dunn played his career in the phils lineup they would be similar.

also, howard's MVP year really skews his career avgs. unfortunately, he will never come close to a year like that again.

halladay is filthy. I feel a rollins HR today
    The Fixer wrote:

howard is better than dunn. just saying that if dunn played his career in the phils lineup they would be similar.

also, howard's MVP year really skews his career avgs. unfortunately, he will never come close to a year like that again.

I feel a R6 bomb :D
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:

I feel a R6 bomb :D

you forgot a lefty is starting for the mets
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    The Fixer wrote:
    Howard carried the team into the 2009 World Series. He just couldn't figure out Damaso Marte. It happens. It's a game of matchups. In 2010 playoffs he was injured - maybe he shouldn't have been playing.

utley was injured in the 09 WS too. that um, didn't effect him

if you're hurt, don't play. weak excuse

for what it's worth it looked like it affected him in the nlcs when he hit .211 and had as many strikeouts as hits. he was obviously an out of this world beast in the world series, but if the r6 wasn't hitting on all cylinders leading up to that point, we may not have even gotten there.

edit.....oops, we're done with this. :lol:

LET'S GO DOC!
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

Walk in 2nd. That's a great play, right Mr. WAR?

The Fixer wrote:

the goal on offense is to not make outs, so yes, walks are always good. I wish howard did more of that

valdez has to make that play
    The Fixer wrote:

the goal on offense is to not make outs, so yes, walks are always good. I wish howard did more of that

I always thought it was to score runs, but I guess I'm just stupid. ;)

The Fixer wrote:

howard's 2nd in the league in runs created per 27 outs. :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    edited April 2011
    small ball. i love it.

the nl brand of baseball is so much more enjoyable than the al.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
    small ball. i love it.
    Yes sir!!! Then an explosion happens..
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:

better chance of scoring runs when guys are on base right?

school is in session, let me know if you have other questions :D

johnny, I'm in philly tonight thru sunday. let me know if you want to grab beers
    small ball. i love it.

the nl brand of baseball is so much more enjoyable than the al.

totally agree. way more strategy. the managers actually have to think
    francisco has been making solid contact. every ball he hits seems to be hit hard

EDIT: valdez is the opposite...haha
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    Atta way.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    Not to jinx this, but I think I can go running now...
This discussion has been closed.