***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    I'm going to shabooooooms
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,291
    The Fixer wrote:
    All I have to say is it pains me to be right.

2 more missed plays in the field by your boy tonight but no mention. Got to make the play on Sanchez's hit and the poor execution trying to flip to ball to 1st.

Howard disgraceful going down looking - no excuse for that whatsoever.

Team in general strikes out way too much.

Sam Perlozzo you got to send Jimmy home and make the Giants throw him out on Ryan's double with 2 outs.

Dispite what most on here say, and didn't believe it the other night, you should never bunt a guy to 3rd with no outs. Stupid to bunt our best hitter with runners in scoring positon for Ben Francisco.

Charlie sucked this series. Dumb moves left and right. Absolutely no good reason to hit Utley 3rd tonight. Something must be done to break up the lefties next year.

Pretty much outplayed in all aspects by the Giants. We just flat out didn't make enough plays. Had to be 10-15 defensive plays in the series that could have been made to go along with the lack of timely hitting. We got to Lincecum in this series and still lost in 6 games, hard to believe Harry.
  • Options
    I'm glad they have howard over votto. Howard is so much better
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,291
    The Fixer wrote:
    I'm glad they have howard over votto. Howard is so much better

edit: sorry you're not worth it getting into it with anymore. life is too short to have to deal with dbags
  • Options
    25 million per year to look at strike three. Well worth the money.

sometimes it sucks being right.

worst contract in sports. as some here said when it was signed.

not sure how you can defend the player or especially the contract tonight.

that's all I'm saying....2 weeks of watching black jared fuck himself. awesome
  • Options
    Fucken luckiest best-of-7 victory I've ever seen in baseball. Wall-scraper home runs, ridiculous line drive double plays, borderline called 3rd strikes. That team is going to get absolutely slaughtered in the World Series. It will not even be fun to watch. GODDAMMIT!!!!

FUCK YOU GIANTS

Johnny, I love ya, but...

congrats to the giants. they outplayed the phils in the series. No doubt the phils are more talented, but the giants outplayed and certainly outmanaged them.

I'm disappointed, but as a philly fan, I've seen this story way too many times. This city just completely blows as a favorite.

congrats to the giants
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    rollins 261 polly 250 utley 182 howard 318 werth 222 shane 208 raul 211 hooch 167 yeah its all howards fault.

last 56 post season at bats for Howard, 30 K's

the guy blows. plain and simple. can't hit or field. he will be great in 2016. thanks ruben

fucking howard keeps racking up awards. 09 WS MVP (for the yanks)...10 NLCS MVP (for the giants). give him another 5 year contract!!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/743 ... ab1b59edd2
    Post edited by The Fixer on
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    All I have to say is it pains me to be right.

Dispite what most on here say, and didn't believe it the other night, you should never bunt a guy to 3rd with no outs. Stupid to bunt our best hitter with runners in scoring positon for Ben Francisco.

Charlie sucked this series. Dumb moves left and right. Absolutely no good reason to hit Utley 3rd tonight. Something must be done to break up the lefties next year.

I'm scared to ask...but who do you think their best hitter is?
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,742
    pjhawks wrote:
    2 more missed plays in the field by your boy tonight but no mention. Got to make the play on Sanchez's hit and the poor execution trying to flip to ball to 1st.

Howard disgraceful going down looking - no excuse for that whatsoever.

Team in general strikes out way too much.

Sam Perlozzo you got to send Jimmy home and make the Giants throw him out on Ryan's double with 2 outs.

Pretty much outplayed in all aspects by the Giants. We just flat out didn't make enough plays. Had to be 10-15 defensive plays in the series that could have been made to go along with the lack of timely hitting. We got to Lincecum in this series and still lost in 6 games, hard to believe Harry.

You're off on a lot of things. The flip to first in general is a miracle play and that was just a lucky hit.

Rollins would've been a dead duck on that play - the ball was already in the infield when he got to 3rd.

It was a good play to bunt the runner to 3rd with no outs. It was a TERRIBLE move to bring in Francisco, when you have an excellent professional hitter on the bench. Mike Sweeney didn't bat the ENTIRE series, and the bench was absolutely abysmal.

This is a devastating loss for this franchise. They are going to have trouble holding off the Braves next year, and the farm system isn't coming around until 2013/14. Yes, Philly always sucks as the favorite.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,664
    The Fixer wrote:
    Fucken luckiest best-of-7 victory I've ever seen in baseball. Wall-scraper home runs, ridiculous line drive double plays, borderline called 3rd strikes. That team is going to get absolutely slaughtered in the World Series. It will not even be fun to watch. GODDAMMIT!!!!

FUCK YOU GIANTS

Johnny, I love ya, but...

congrats to the giants. they outplayed the phils in the series. No doubt the phils are more talented, but the giants outplayed and certainly outmanaged them.

I'm disappointed, but as a philly fan, I've seen this story way too many times. This city just completely blows as a favorite.

congrats to the giants
    thanks, fixer. I thought JA was a little classier than that....but I'll chalk it up to the pain he was feeling. as far as being "slaughtered"......that was supposed to happen vs. the phils, but didn't. my team has two things going for it....pitching and mojo :mrgreen:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,254
    Well it was a fun and entertaining season. Some players simply didn't come through for us. Also our defense stank for the most part. No clutch hitting when it counted.

Anyone see the Mike Sweeney interview after? That was hard to watch. Poor guy didn't even get an at bat :(
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    someone better call the jeags to make sure he is not thinking of anything stupid
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,469
    show some class people. i knew i'd come on here to see the same childish back and forth/"i told you so" nonsense we've become accustomed to this season. :roll: . we're better than that guys.

congrats to the giants. they outplayed us and out-managed us this series. excruciating way for it to end without even swinging. but you just cannot expect to continue to win games this way--striking out too much, leaving 12 men on base, playing piss poor defense, questionable stop signs by perlozzo, questionable moves by the manager. the list goes on and on. we just did not play to our capabilities and giants played well beyond theirs. you have to give them credit.

it's nice to know that we've come so far when anything less than a world series is considered a disappointment though. fun season--yet excruciatingly frustrating at the same time. we'll be back next year.

all i know is the detox begins today. :sick: . october baseball is just absolutely brutal on my body in multiple ways. looking forward to not drinking for a while, getting back to the gym, eating better, and going to bed at more reasonable hours. i feel like an enormous pile of dog poop right now.

go. birds.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    someone better call the jeags to make sure he is not thinking of anything stupid
    :?:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    show some class people. i knew i'd come on here to see the same childish back and forth/"i told you so" nonsense we've become accustomed to this season. :roll: . we're better than that guys.

congrats to the giants. they outplayed us and out-managed us this series. excruciating way for it to end without even swinging. but you just cannot expect to continue to win games this way--striking out too much, leaving 12 men on base, playing piss poor defense, questionable stop signs by perlozzo, questionable moves by the manager. the list goes on and on. we just did not play to our capabilities and giants played well beyond theirs. you have to give them credit.

it's nice to know that we've come so far when anything less than a world series is considered a disappointment though. fun season--yet excruciatingly frustrating at the same time. we'll be back next year.

all i know is the detox begins today. :sick: . october baseball is just absolutely brutal on my body in multiple ways. looking forward to not drinking for a while, getting back to the gym, eating better, and going to bed at more reasonable hours. i feel like an enormous pile of dog poop right now.

go. birds.

whew we were nervous :mrgreen:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options

go. birds.

whew we were nervous :mrgreen:

okay...... :shifty:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    you just cannot expect to continue to win games this way--striking out too much, leaving 12 men on base, playing piss poor defense, questionable stop signs by perlozzo, questionable moves by the manager. the list goes on and on.

My buddy who is a Yankees fan is always giving me shit about how bad the National League is. The fact that this Phils team is the cream of the crop in the NL sort of proves him right. I could see some changes forthcoming. Guys in the last year of their contract like Ibaez, Madson, and Polanco may be traded if there's worthwhile prospects out there to trade for.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,664

you're the man :thumbup:
    I wish. guiness and tequila last night :roll:
    sobriety starts november 4 :mrgreen:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,831
    r The whole offensive was,i get the hrs and rbis,but to blame him for the loss in rediclious. charlie,chase,raul,shane are way more to blame then howard. The dude hit 318,and sure as hell wasnt the reason we lost.

I wont speak for JP but I dont think he blamed him for the loss but just thought he should have had a better AB

They had tons of chances to blow this game wide open and didnt

This dude's just quick to get on his knees at Howard's dong.

I'll try to break it down for him since he seems a little slow - I don't care who you are, you don't look at a 3rd strike at a pitch that is remotely near the strike zone for the last out of the season. Believe me, I know full well about the man on 3rd with Francisco at the plate. Unlike you, I was at the game, and unlike you I guarantee I've invested a lot more time and money into this team a lot longer than you have. Call me what you want from behind a computer, dude, real nice.

And it's ridiculous, not rediculous. S-L-O-W.
  • Options
    )
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    imalive wrote:

you're the man :thumbup:
    I wish. guiness and tequila last night :roll:
    sobriety starts november 4 :mrgreen:

1 day sober for me :thumbup:

i had my fair share of tequila at this mexican place on friday night...also had my fair share of the shits saturday morning.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    good article...read it when you're ready to look at the big picture:

David Beats Goliath, Phillies Out of Playoffs
    by Bill Baer on October 24th, 2010
    Posted in 2010 Playoffs, MLB, Philadelphia Phillies | Print | 39 Comments »

The called strike three to Ryan Howard that clinched the National League Championship Series for the Giants was, among other things, emblematic of the Phillies’ offensive ineptitude throughout the NLCS. Despite banging out eight hits and drawing five walks, the Phillies were only able to push across two runs against Jonathan Sanchez and the Giants’ bullpen. Once again, they were disappointing when runners were in scoring position, notching hits in two of a whopping eleven opportunities. Overall, they were 8-for-45 in the series — a measly .178 average with RISP.

The Phillies also played poorly defensively, continuing a surprising trend in the 2010 playoffs. Shane Victorino misplayed a fly ball in center field, Chase Utley misplayed another grounder, and Placido Polanco made a throwing error. Defensive failures helped the Giants score two runs in the third inning, marring what was an otherwise impressive outing by Roy Oswalt. Chase Utley, baseball’s best defensive second baseman, was the biggest goat of the goat defenders in the NLCS — a shocking revelation to say the least.

In the end, the Phillies came two playoff wins away from becoming immortalized in baseball history, perhaps as a dynasty. They would have been the first National League team since the 1942-44 St. Louis Cardinals to reach three consecutive World Series. Though that was not realized, what the Phillies have accomplished is impressive nonetheless.

Consider that, when the Phillies clinched the division on the last day of the regular season in 2007, we Phillies fans were simply thrilled that a 13-year playoff drought had ended. The Colorado Rockies promptly swept the Phillies out of the NLDS. And that was all right.

Now, on the heels of a championship in 2008 and a near-repeat in ’09, the Phillies’ exit from the NLCS in Game Six is considered premature. The disappointment from Phillies fans in the restaurant I was in at the time of Howard’s called strike three was palpable. Sports talk radio callers — and the hosts — blasted Howard and his sizable contract awarded to him earlier in the season, wondering how someone with zero NLCS RBI could be worth such a large sum of money. Utley was denigrated for, apparently, typically shoddy defense. Charlie Manuel’s decision-making, for the first time since the Phillies have enjoyed playoff berths, was second-guessed.

Amid the disappointment, it is important to step back and appreciate what we have witnessed out of the Phillies. Yes, the dismissal from the 2010 playoff stings, but the team gave us a lot to be proud of in this season alone. For instance, coming back from a plethora of injuries and seven games out of first place in the division, was an incredible feat. There was also:

Roy Halladay‘s perfect game against the Florida Marlins, and his no-hitter in the NLDS against the Cincinnati Reds.

Roy Oswalt playing left field — and recording a put out — in the 14th inning was great theater.

Jayson Werth put up one of the best offensive seasons by any Phillies outfielder ever.

Carlos Ruiz‘s emergence as a legit offensive threat.

Cole Hamels‘ bounce-back season after a disappointing 2009. Brad Lidge, too.

Ryan Madson‘s continued dominance as the set-up guy for Lidge.

Ruben Amaro’s ability to fill in around the edges, with Wilson Valdez, Mike Sweeney, and Ross Gload playing big roles outside of being reliable bench players.

Remember, three years ago, that Kyle Kendrick started Game Two of the NLDS and Jamie Moyer started Game Three. The Phillies have come a long way. They should not be ashamed of what they didn’t accomplish this season.

While the Phillies will likely part ways with Jayson Werth, the core group is still intact and primed for another deep post-season run with a trio of ace starting pitchers and a solid but aging offense.

In closing, if I can ask one thing of the Phillies fan base in the aftermath of the NLCS — don’t harp on players for what they didn’t do in the post-season. There aren’t enough innings and plate appearances from which to draw conclusions confidently. That Ryan Howard didn’t have an RBI isn’t indicative of decline, or mental shortcomings, or what have you. If you replay Howard’s 22 at-bats again in the same situations, he will likely come away with at least one RBI. Likewise, Utley’s defensive miscues are not representative of his true ability as a second baseman; they were just a few ugly plays in a very small sample of opportunities.

Rolls of the die can be cruel. The Phillies happened to roll snake eyes several times in the NLCS. Them’s the breaks. The Phillies have been on the other end as well. Just ask the Los Angeles Dodgers about Matt Stairs, or the Tampa Bay Rays about Joe Blanton and Geoff Jenkins.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    No big deal, just not as good of a team as many in Philly thought (dynasty etc.)..one nice championship in recent years, and that will most likely be it, which I'd gladly take in a heartbeat and be completely satisfied with being a Met fan..oh well, looking forward to possibly battling you guys next year for the division while improving on this year's head-to-head 9 to 9 split..
    ....and black bearded Wilson fucking rules..
    :D
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    http://www.csnphilly.com/10/24/10/bSali ... feedID=704

"Cliff Lee?
    Because of a rising payroll and a roster teeming with players on long-term contracts, it has been widely speculated that the Phils won’t be players for big-ticket free agents. While that might turn out to be true, don’t rule out the club trying to get into the Cliff Lee sweepstakes.

The Yankees are the favorites to land Lee, but the Phils owe it to themselves and their fans to get into the mix because Lee and his family loved Philadelphia – people in the know say he’d come back -- and, in the end, pitching rules the day.

Amaro is a pitching-first guy and he likes to think big. You can bet he will speak with Lee’s representative after the World Series, even if landing the lefty is a long shot. Lee will be expensive -- figure $20 million per season in a multiyear deal -- and the Phils already have two $20 million players in Howard and Roy Halladay. Amaro would have to clear payroll space by moving a Joe Blanton (two years remaining at $17 million) and/or Raul Ibanez (one year, $11.5 million) to afford Lee. Yes, a lot of hurdles would have to be cleared to land Lee, but don’t be surprised if the Phils at least try to bring him back."

Ha. Know it's not happening, but it'd be pretty funny if it did...
  • Options

go. birds.

your last sentence is kinda annoying. I had to run out of the stadium on saturday night so I didn't punch all of the morons that started doing eagles chants.

the fans in this city annoy the shit out of me.
  • Options
    http://www.csnphilly.com/10/24/10/bSalisbury-b-A-Look-at-the-Phillies-Offs/landing_insider_salisbury.html?blockID=338056&feedID=704

"Cliff Lee?
    Because of a rising payroll and a roster teeming with players on long-term contracts, it has been widely speculated that the Phils won’t be players for big-ticket free agents. While that might turn out to be true, don’t rule out the club trying to get into the Cliff Lee sweepstakes.

The Yankees are the favorites to land Lee, but the Phils owe it to themselves and their fans to get into the mix because Lee and his family loved Philadelphia – people in the know say he’d come back -- and, in the end, pitching rules the day.

Amaro is a pitching-first guy and he likes to think big. You can bet he will speak with Lee’s representative after the World Series, even if landing the lefty is a long shot. Lee will be expensive -- figure $20 million per season in a multiyear deal -- and the Phils already have two $20 million players in Howard and Roy Halladay. Amaro would have to clear payroll space by moving a Joe Blanton (two years remaining at $17 million) and/or Raul Ibanez (one year, $11.5 million) to afford Lee. Yes, a lot of hurdles would have to be cleared to land Lee, but don’t be surprised if the Phils at least try to bring him back."

Ha. Know it's not happening, but it'd be pretty funny if it did...

read this earlier today too...it was a salisbury article and he gets good phils info. I don't think it is likely, but it would be awesome. I kinda think amaro has to say he's open to bringing lee and werth back. I don't think either one happens though.

Worst part about the loss to the giants is that this team won't be as good next year. The Oswalt upgrade in the rotation helps, but losing werth is really gonna hurt. This was the best shot they have had to win the WS (yes, better than 08)

I love baseball, but I dont' think I'm gonna be able to watch the World Series. So disappointing.

I hope amaro realizes his mistake of paying howard 2 years before he had to. what a fucking waste
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

go. birds.

your last sentence is kinda annoying. I had to run out of the stadium on saturday night so I didn't punch all of the morons that started doing eagles chants.

officially football season dude...chants should be reserved for the linc though.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

go. birds.

Dude, the line for the escalator was out of control, so then I thought to take the stairs, and that was just as bad. I could feel the claustrophobia coming down on me so I just had to step away and breath. Some douche started a let's go flyers chant and I almost lost it. Pretty close to a fight, but I knew that wouldn't help anything. I wasn't opposed to one, I just tried my damndest to shut up after calling the dude an idiot.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

officially football season dude...chants should be reserved for the linc though.

it is football season, you're right. all of the idiots that started chanting lets go flyers and eagles chants at CBP on saturday night deserved to be tazed. that shit is stupid.

saturday was awful. just plain awful. the crowd was lame too.

nothing will ever compare to 2008. nothing
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

it is football season, you're right. all of the idiots that started chanting lets go flyers and eagles chants at CBP on saturday night deserved to be tazed. that shit is stupid.

saturday was awful. just plain awful. the crowd was lame too.

nothing will ever compare to 2008. nothing

Maybe where you were. Crowd seemed fired up to me. Maybe it was because I was fired up. It was '08 loud. Well, until Uribe's homer. And I fully take credit for the Sanchez chants. Yes, that's right, me.
This discussion has been closed.