Options

((( The Stop Smoking Cigarettes Thread)))

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,852
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Went in for a complete physical today. have to wait a week for results from blood test/EKG. But I DID get info on quitting. I have the coolest Doctor. Fully supportive of my drink/drug recovery and didnt hassle me about the cigs. Just said when you're ready, she'd help in anyway she can.

Now I just need to decide on HOW I'll go about it, then WHEN. I'm pretty sure by my Bday on the 27th, I'll be on my way.

Has anyone had any success using Zyban or Chantix?
    Other options include the patch or Ecigs to wean off the nicotine.
    Or COLDTURKEY!!! :lolno: :lolno:

:think: :think: :think: :thumbup:
    Results are in!!!! Think about it, 24 yrs of heavy alcoholic drinking , 24 yrs of pot smoking, 10 yrs of crack use, and I'M HEALTHY!!!!!! All blood work came back within normal ranges. EKG did reveal a heart attack sometime in my past. Think I've narrowed down to which night it was. I had no idea. Thought it was just some extremely "good dope" .

Did the intial sleep study for apparent sleep apnea last night , wait for the results of that and probably a second study w/ CPAP machine to see how well that works for me. I have the Chantix script in hand. Just waiting for this sleep study to be done so I can start on that. Smoke free by July 27th plan still in effect!!! I think smoking for 30 yrs is a nice round number to quit at and a hellava Bday present to myself.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Went in for a complete physical today. have to wait a week for results from blood test/EKG. But I DID get info on quitting. I have the coolest Doctor. Fully supportive of my drink/drug recovery and didnt hassle me about the cigs. Just said when you're ready, she'd help in anyway she can.

Now I just need to decide on HOW I'll go about it, then WHEN. I'm pretty sure by my Bday on the 27th, I'll be on my way.

one form of quitting cigarettes is to roast joints.
    everytime you want a smoke
    @(*!@#$%^&amp;^%$##$%^??><>?<>?:"{+_)(*&^%%%one weeek later you're championship material
    ummm, yeah. Green sticks might cause trouble in other areas. but then you knew this about me. ;)
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    mickeyrat, have you quit smoking?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    not just yet. Will be taking Chantix. Has sleep related side effects. Undergoing a couple sleep studies, didn't want my taking that to skew those results. 5-7 days for the results of the first study I took last night. then another to see if a CPAP machine is workable for me. Personnaly I'd like to have surgery to fix my deviated septum. I dont breath so well through my nose when awake much less asleep. looking at finishing these last 2 cartons of smokes then I'm done. If I still have a pack or three left two weeks from now on the 27th, I'll give them away.

• Options
    mickeyrat wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    not just yet. Will NOT be taking Chantix. NOT FUCKING COVERED BY MY INSURANCE!!!!!Has sleep related side effects. Undergoing a couple sleep studies, didn't want my taking that to skew those results. 5-7 days for the results of the first study I took last night. then another to see if a CPAP machine is workable for me. Personnaly I'd like to have surgery to fix my deviated septum. I dont breath so well through my nose when awake much less asleep. looking at finishing these last 2 cartons of smokes then I'm done. If I still have a pack or three left two weeks from now on the 27th, I'll give them away.
    So , I guess Ecigs are it.

• Options
    not4uuunot4uuu Posts: 94
    I just quit cigars, It's like 10 cigs at once, I just don't want to do it anymore. I just stopped , today is day 5. My worst trigger is when I drink and last night I drank and was around someone who smokes and boy it was hard, but I really want to quit, and I just clinched my fists, squeezed my fingers, whatever it took , and I didn't smoke!!! I am so happy with myself today. It's not easy at all.... but my determination is very strong! :D
    pearljammin66
  • Options
    dasvidanadasvidana Grand Junction CO Posts: 1,318
    not4uuu wrote:
    I just quit cigars, It's like 10 cigs at once, I just don't want to do it anymore. I just stopped , today is day 5. My worst trigger is when I drink and last night I drank and was around someone who smokes and boy it was hard, but I really want to quit, and I just clinched my fists, squeezed my fingers, whatever it took , and I didn't smoke!!! I am so happy with myself today. It's not easy at all.... but my determination is very strong! :D

WAY TO GO!
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • Options
    day two of chantix with only 2 packs of smokes left. Guess I start off my week as a nonsmoker!!!

I told one of my bosses what the plan was and with a smile she said "so you're going to be a dick"?

Me " maybe more than usual" :mrgreen:

• Options
    alrighty then. Have 2 left after I smoke this one. Will get to wake up with none on hand. Chantix makes these things taste especially terrible. Looking forward to this.

• Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    mickeyrat wrote:
    alrighty then. Have 2 left after I smoke this one. Will get to wake up with none on hand. Chantix makes these things taste especially terrible. Looking forward to this.

Best of luck, man!
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Options
    CH156378CH156378 Posts: 1,539
    chadwick wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

one form of quitting cigarettes is to roast joints.
    everytime you want a smoke
    @(*!@#$%^&amp;^%$##$%^??><>?<>?:"{+_)(*&^%%%one weeek later you're championship material
    this worked for me. it was weird. 2 weeks after quitting cigs it didn't even bother me anymore. i smoked from age 17 to age 29. it has now been a year and 2 months since my last smoke. i look at people smoking now and just shake my head and can't believe i used too smoke. i feel so lucky. i hadn't even planned on quitting. i have even slowed down on the green. just do it on weekends sometimes. i have tasted a life wasted i am never going back again.
  • Options
    Hmmm, how do I go about removing the cig from Herr Rat? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,921
    mickeyrat wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

Results are in!!!! Think about it, 24 yrs of heavy alcoholic drinking , 24 yrs of pot smoking, 10 yrs of crack use, and I'M HEALTHY!!!!!! All blood work came back within normal ranges. EKG did reveal a heart attack sometime in my past. Think I've narrowed down to which night it was. I had no idea. Thought it was just some extremely "good dope" .

Did the intial sleep study for apparent sleep apnea last night , wait for the results of that and probably a second study w/ CPAP machine to see how well that works for me. I have the Chantix script in hand. Just waiting for this sleep study to be done so I can start on that. Smoke free by July 27th plan still in effect!!! I think smoking for 30 yrs is a nice round number to quit at and a hellava Bday present to myself.

Wow Mick, that's wonderful news about your health. Congrats and good luck with the quitting smoking, I hope to join you on this thread someday soon, just not today unfortunately :( Mentally, I'm not quite ready.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Hmmm, how do I go about removing the cig from Herr Rat? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Very quick edit in paint, but I think it does the trick.

36518.jpg
  • Options
    not4uuu and mickey, good luck.

I failed miserably in my attempt a couple of weeks ago but millions out there have done it before us, so it is possible. Keep strong.
    T
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    not4uuu wrote:
    Good job! Way to stay strong!
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    at 38ish hrs tobacco free. Broke down and got the script for chantix filled.Helps alot. The other I was taking was from someone who quit taking it and was 4 yrs old!!! wasn't quite as effective. And I got through a whole day without one!!

See? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> No cig!!!

• Options
    CH156378CH156378 Posts: 1,539
    mickeyrat wrote:
    at 38ish hrs tobacco free. Broke down and got the script for chantix filled.Helps alot. The other I was taking was from someone who quit taking it and was 4 yrs old!!! wasn't quite as effective. And I got through a whole day without one!!

See? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> No cig!!!
    awsome man. 38 hours is great. it will get harder. but after a week or so it will start getting easier and easier. you have tasted a life wasted. you are never going back again.
  • Options
    Full day 2 almost in the books. At 53 hrs now.

• Options
    Passed the 72 hr mark at 5 or so. About to book a full 3 days!!!! And no, there isnt blood on my hands!!;)

• Options
    Day 4.

• Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    I quit on January 2, 2007, and haven't looked back
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Day 4.

YAY!!!
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    5 down, and hopefully the rest of my life to go.... :mrgreen:

• Options
    36,288,000 seconds , 604,800 minutes , 168 hours, 7 days , or 1/52 of a year of NOT smoking!!!!!!

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    mickeyrat wrote:
    36,288,000 seconds , 604,800 minutes , 168 hours, 7 days , or 1/52 of a year of NOT smoking!!!!!!

I hear ya. I stopped Friday night and it is now Wedneday night.......

must......

be........

strong.....
  • Options
    Smellyman wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

must......

be........

strong.....
    Are you doing it cold turkey?

I didnt believe I could do it that way. Got a script of Chantix. Working well for me.

• Options
    hostishostis Posts: 441
    I had spent about 7 or 8 years trying to give up, sometimes for as long as 3 or 6 months or so.... then when my wife and i were todl we couldnt adopt unless we stopped smokling, it was the easier than expected. I guess when there is real motivation and reaosn behind it, its better.

keep going everyone. it will REALLY be worth it in the end.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Smellyman wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

must......

be........

strong.....

I didnt believe I could do it that way. Got a script of Chantix. Working well for me.

Yup. cold turkey. got easier every day. Went to the pub 2 days in a row and didn't smoke! 7 days straight.
  • Options
    Smellyman wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

Yup. cold turkey. got easier every day. Went to the pub 2 days in a row and didn't smoke! 7 days straight.
    Awesome!! So, are you going to have to change your username now? Or does it refer to something else? ;)

I was at work the other day , spoke to a co-worker and a customer. Ame away thinking " my god!! My breath smelled like that?"