Options

Would you send in a player in to intentionally hurt Tom Brady?

Comments

• Options
    JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,075
    pjhawks wrote:
    sure at least that is man-to-man, like a bar fight. if i got a problem with you i'm gonna say or do something, not send someone else to do it. that's my point regarding the players doing something instead of a coach telling someone to do something.

um...ok. because baseball, football and basketball are just like bar fights.

if any player is involved in a play that is the slightest bit shady and someone like brady gets seriously injured, expect a big fine and suspension and a hit to the reputation as being a dirty player.
  • Options
    JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,075
    jimed14 wrote:
    we get it ... beleive me, the thought of running up the score aagainst a team like Baltimore, who is already having a shitty year? Man, I could see Ray Ray and his crew wanting to put a hurt on someone REAL bad ... so, I get it.

But, I think the Pats view the complancency of pulling their guys in the 3rd quarter, NOT being a 60 minute team, not being able to finish out a game (like they *NEEDED* to against the Colts) ... I think the Pats view that lack of focus a GREATER risk then getting someone injured.

They have to feel that way or they wouldn't go about doing the things they are doing ... hopefully this is a point non-NE fans will get.

i personally don't see ray lewis being a dirty player and doing something stupid.

the pats game at miami is a perfect example. the pats are up big early and they pull brady and start dogging it on defense, missing tackles, not being as aggressive and then the dolphins score a TD and then an interception and they are now only down 14 points instead of 28-35 points.

playing 60 mins is how the pats players and coaches view each game. give only 50-51 mins and you could end up losing (i'm looking at you colts).
  • Options
    booomm11booomm11 Posts: 865
    That 60 minute stuff is nonsense, they did their job. They should be off the field and getting ready for next week.
    being so KiND.. tO LEt me RiDe!!!
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    booomm11 wrote:
    That 60 minute stuff is nonsense, they did their job. They should be off the field and getting ready for next week.

not shocking to see someone who's watched McNabb get hurt quite a few times of the past few years say that ... but, I'm all for 60 minutes.

Something the '04 Eagles could have benefitted from perhaps.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    booomm11booomm11 Posts: 865
    is it 60 minutes or 4 quarters? If the score calls for it, otherwise it's foolish and when someone goes down... sportscountry is gonna scream.
    being so KiND.. tO LEt me RiDe!!!
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,211
    JSBE wrote:
    um...ok. because baseball, football and basketball are just like bar fights.

if any player is involved in a play that is the slightest bit shady and someone like brady gets seriously injured, expect a big fine and suspension and a hit to the reputation as being a dirty player.

Agreed, but it's not really a big deal, I mean being caught cheating and fined $500,000 is not a big deal, so how can being fined for a hit be a big deal.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    Ummm.....

So what do you do when your team sucks for 20+ years???

Gardening?

I'm a sports fan, and there's always room on the wagon with you and all the other hypocrites that toss this argument around.

ST that's the funniest thing you've said here. THAT IS the meaning of a bandwagoner, when your team fails even if it's 20 years you jump ship to some other winner you seem fit to choose.

I'll give you a bit of my history, I've been a Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins and Patriots fan since infancy in 1972. Back then the Celts, Bruins ruled with the RS being so so and the Pats pitiful but I loved all the same. It matters none to me whether they're on top or on the bottom I'm rooting for em and no other can steer me from them.

I don't live in Boston now and for some years but Beantown is in my heart and will always be. The Bruins have sucked for up-teen years (25 or so) and I love no other hockey team like I do them .

It all becomes sweeter when that team rises to the top when you stick with them like the New England Patriots.

So stick with your teams even if they stink up the Joint for 20 years and give gardening it's for sissies....just kidding.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p wrote:
    ST that's the funniest thing you've said here. THAT IS the meaning of a bandwagoner, when your team fails even if it's 20 years you jump ship to some other winner you seem fit to choose.

I'll give you a bit of my history, I've been a Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins and Patriots fan since infancy in 1972. Back then the Celts, Bruins ruled with the RS being so so and the Pats pitiful but I loved all the same. It matters none to me whether they're on top or on the bottom I'm rooting for em and no other can steer me from them.

I don't live in Boston now and for some years but Beantown is in my heart and will always be. The Bruins have sucked for up-teen years (25 or so) and I love no other hockey team like I do them .

It all becomes sweeter when that team rises to the top when you stick with them like the New England Patriots.

So stick with your teams even if they stink up the Joint for 20 years and give gardening it's for sissies....just kidding.

Peace

I understand..it's just that I happen to have my favorite teams and then secondary teams that I can follow when my favs are out of the picture. I always have to pick a side even when my teams don't make the championship of their respective sport.

I tend to have a fav in each league and I hope that I can get to see them face each other in the end.

It goes back to when I was growing up and playing sports and there weren't computers and video games and everything else to occupy my time. Me and my friends were sports fanatics.

The first World Series I saw was in 1975 when the Bosox and the Cincy Reds played. It was my first year in little league and my favorite players were Yaz, Fred Lynn, and Pete Rose. So my two favorite teams are still the Cincy Reds and the Bosox.

So honestly... you give up on the season if your favorite team is finished???? I think that's sad.

I mean I'm still a fan to my favorite teams every year...but I just can't stop following sports because my team is done. That's like giving up living because you lost your significant other.
    the Minions
  • Options
    its not the patriots fault.

and the patriots should not care about running up the score. its not bill bilichik's job to stop his team from scoring, it is the opposing coach's job. and all of these teams are on the same level playing field as far as payroll goes, so i have no sympathy for a team that is crying fould about running up the score. if they dont want to be embarrassed, play some defense, and wuit your whining.
  • Options
    bryn_cmbs wrote:
    Going on it on 4th down with a 40+ point lead in the 4th is running up the score.

would you have felt better if they kicked a field goal, and only scored 3 points? or would you rather they take a knee and show the whole country that they knew the redskins had no chance of stopping them. you are making this out to be a no win situation.

if you dont want the patriots running up the score, find a team that can stop them from doing so, just like the colts did.
  • Options
    g under p wrote:

Peace

How could you not pull for the Avalanche when Bourque was traded from the Bruins. It was so sweet to see him finally win a title. This is what I'm talking about...I have to pull for somebody for whatever reason when my team is out of it. I don't pull against my team I just shift my focus. I believe most true sports fans do this.

I grew up close to St Louis and could never understand why everyone around me was a Cardinal fan...I always like the Cardinals but some people couldn't figure out why I pulled for the Reds. I dunno...I just like them better that's all....people think if you grow up near a certain team you are supposed to like that team for whatever reason. But what's funny is that none of the guys on the Cardinals (or for any other team for that matter) are actually from the city team they play for. There's very few hometown boys playing in any sport.

Our small town has produced several pro athletes and I always find myself pulling for whatever team they happen to be playing for even if it is the Dodgers and the Buccaneers.

That's how I roll ...old fickle fan..that's me
    the Minions
  • Options
    would you have felt better if they kicked a field goal, and only scored 3 points? or would you rather they take a knee and show the whole country that they knew the redskins had no chance of stopping them. you are making this out to be a no win situation.

if you dont want the patriots running up the score, find a team that can stop them from doing so, just like the colts did.

A field goal is respectable, going for the TD with a 40 point lead is crass, and you know it, so stop whining back:D
    the Minions
  • Options
    and truthfully, i dont have any problems with running up the score OR making a team look bad on the field. it happens in all pro sports.

i mean, seriously, these guys are making millions to play a game.
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966

Its not a no win situation.................kick the field goal and recognize that you have already won the game. Taking a knee is out of the question though.

You can still play the game but at the same time realize when to back off. It would be like an NBA team being up forty points and still pressing their defense. Its fucking cheap and shows no class.
  • Options
    A field goal is respectable, going for the TD with a 40 point lead is crass, and you know it, so stop whining back:D

its a difference a 4 points...

maybe the redskins D should have stepped up and make a play.

again, no sympathy for a professional sports team and their fans whining about running up the score. running up the score is poor sportsmanship in little league and pop warner leagues...not in professional sports.

and if a team has to resort to taking a cheap shot at an opposing player because their feelings are hurt due to the score of the game, that player has absolutely no character or business being a field and calling themselves a professional.
  • Options
    Its not a no win situation.................kick the field goal and recognize that you have already won the game. Taking a knee is out of the question though.

You can still play the game but at the same time realize when to back off. It would be like an NBA team being up forty points and still pressing their defense. Its fucking cheap and shows no class.

are the patriots supposed to worry about hurting the feelings of a bunch of overpaid athletes? they gave them a chance to stop them on 4th down. the redskins couldnt do it...
  • Options
    are the patriots supposed to worry about hurting the feelings of a bunch of overpaid athletes? they gave them a chance to stop them on 4th down. the redskins couldnt do it...

If you think its about feelings......then i guess there isnt much of a conversation here.
  • Options
    Let's stop talking about the Pats, I think the NE fans have clouded judgement.

Since when Is a 30-40 point lead not enough in the 3rd or 4th quarter?

If you think it's enough, most respectable coaches will try to eat up the clock with a running game and ball control offense. IF 4th down comes and they are in range they will still attempt a FG. Most respectable coaches won't go for it on fourth down and continue passing for the entire game.

At least this is how it has been in all my 42 years of being a football fan.

And I believe quite the opposite to be true. In professional sports you don't run the score up, YOU DO run the score up in High School and College for whatever reason...if given the chance.
    the Minions
  • Options
    If you think its about feelings......then i guess there isnt much of a conversation here.

what exactly is it about then? a lack of class? the object of the game is to score as many points as possible...right? or is there some sort of limit in professional sports that i am not aware of. there are unwritten rules in all sports, but scoring points with 11 minutes to go in the game when your team is up big, is not one of them.

if a baseball team is up by 12 runs in the 5th inning, do you tell the hitters to stop swinging the bats? for instance, should the texas rangers have stopped trying to hit the ball when they beat the orioles like 30-2 this year.

bottom line, the integrity of the game is compromised when you start doing things out of the ordinary. maybe they could have kicked a field goal, but this discussion would probably still be happening because they tacked on 3 points instead of 7. at that point of the game, did it really matter if it was 3 or 7?
  • Options

or an NBA team up by 40 points will pass the ball around and eat the time clock up, not continue to play run and gun or still shoot for 3pts. It's out of respect for the team you are blowing out.
    the Minions
  • Options
    what exactly is it about then? a lack of class? the object of the game is to score as many points as possible...right?

i'll let that comment speak for itself
  • Options
    or an NBA team up by 40 points will pass the ball around and eat the time clock up, not continue to play run and gun or still shoot for 3pts. It's out of respect for the team you are blowing out.

they still have to shoot at some point though right?

would it have been ok if the patriots handed the ball off and ran it in instead of passing?
  • Options
    i'll let that comment speak for itself

i dont even know what your point is with this statement.
  • Options
    what exactly is it about then? a lack of class? the object of the game is to score as many points as possible...right? or is there some sort of limit in professional sports that i am not aware of. there are unwritten rules in all sports, but scoring points with 11 minutes to go in the game when your team is up big, is not one of them.

if a baseball team is up by 12 runs in the 5th inning, do you tell the hitters to stop swinging the bats? for instance, should the texas rangers have stopped trying to hit the ball when they beat the orioles like 30-2 this year.

bottom line, the integrity of the game is compromised when you start doing things out of the ordinary. maybe they could have kicked a field goal, but this discussion would probably still be happening because they tacked on 3 points instead of 7. at that point of the game, did it really matter if it was 3 or 7?

No you don't stop swinging the bats...but you also don't , steal bases, bunt runners in sacrifice, or try to steal signs from the catcher. That would be rubbing it in.

You don't stop playing when you have a lead, you just don't continue to play like you would if the score is close.

If you steal a base when you're up by 10 runs, you're gonna get a fastball in your face when you come back up to bat.

Deny that
    the Minions
  • Options
    i dont even know what your point is with this statement.

Well, thats not exactly the goal. It may be at first for the offense while the game is still competitive, but it changes over the course of the game. The ultimate goal is to win.

And yes, the offense still has to shoot. the hitters still have to hit.

But in baseball, you dont steal when you're up fifteen runs.

In basketball, you dont bomb threes when its a blowout.

Im all for competition and if another team cant stop you, that is their problem. But theres ultimately a point where competition ceases and then you play respectfully.
  • Options
    they still have to shoot at some point though right?

would it have been ok if the patriots handed the ball off and ran it in instead of passing?

Yes, but not on 4th down with a 40 point lead. they should have run the ball most of the 2nd half. They need to sit on the lead not rub it in....But that's ok it'll come back and bite them in the ass and they'll be whining about someone getting a cheap shot on Brady or Moss...cause it will happen.... mark my words.
    the Minions
  • Options
    No you don't stop swinging the bats...but you also don't , steal bases, bunt runners in sacrifice, or try to steal signs from the catcher. That would be rubbing it in.

You don't stop playing when you have a lead, you just don't continue to play like you would if the score is close.

If you steal a base when you're up by 10 runs, you're gonna get a fastball in your face when you come back up to bat.

Deny that

i wont deny that..you are right. but is it rubbing it in when the guy hits a HR when up by 15 runs?

its not like the patriots pulled a trick play like a flea flicker when they were up bby 40. instead of scoring a sure 3 points with a FG, the patriots gave the redskins a chance to stop them. the redskins didnt do it though. either they score 3 points, score 7, or take a knee...tough spot to be in. but i guess it wasnt that bad because joe gibbs didnt have a problem with it.
  • Options
    Yes, but not on 4th down with a 40 point lead. they should have run the ball most of the 2nd half. They need to sit on the lead not rub it in....But that's ok it'll come back and bite them in the ass and they'll be whining about someone getting a cheap shot on Brady or Moss...cause it will happen.... mark my words.

i would be surprised if anyone took a cheap shot on anyone on the patriots right now.

most teams will want to beat them with their best on the field...
  • Options
    i wont deny that..you are right. but is it rubbing it in when the guy hits a HR when up by 15 runs?

its not like the patriots pulled a trick play like a flea flicker when they were up bby 40. instead of scoring a sure 3 points with a FG, the patriots gave the redskins a chance to stop them. the redskins didnt do it though. either they score 3 points, score 7, or take a knee...tough spot to be in. but i guess it wasnt that bad because joe gibbs didnt have a problem with it.

No..hitting a HR up by 15 isn't rubbing it in...but you better not stand at the plate and watch it or pump your arms when circling the bases. You need to respect the team you are kicking the shit out of.

And Joe Gibbs is a professional, Like Dick Jauron, they're not going to say it bothered them even though it does. And it's kinda the consensus around the league that the Pats are out to prove themselves this season because of the cheating incident earlier.

Bill Belichick isn't a professional, he's saying f-u to the league, and he does a lot of pissing and moaning when his team isn't on top.
    the Minions
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    How could you not pull for the Avalanche when Bourque was traded from the Bruins. It was so sweet to see him finally win a title. This is what I'm talking about...I have to pull for somebody for whatever reason when my team is out of it. I don't pull against my team I just shift my focus. I believe most true sports fans do this.

I grew up close to St Louis and could never understand why everyone around me was a Cardinal fan...I always like the Cardinals but some people couldn't figure out why I pulled for the Reds. I dunno...I just like them better that's all....people think if you grow up near a certain team you are supposed to like that team for whatever reason. But what's funny is that none of the guys on the Cardinals (or for any other team for that matter) are actually from the city team they play for. There's very few hometown boys playing in any sport.

Our small town has produced several pro athletes and I always find myself pulling for whatever team they happen to be playing for even if it is the Dodgers and the Buccaneers.

That's how I roll ...old fickle fan..that's me

I had to put my daughter to bed. OK you're a bright chap cause you know being a Bruins fan I would be rooting for Ray Bourque. Notice I said Ray Bourque, however yes I wanted the Lanche to win and shortly after winning Ray came back and signed with the Bruins and ended his career as a Bruin. That of course is a rare and only case I've ever done anything like that.

I do see your point slightly. Around here it's Redskins country and yesterday a Skins questioned my fanhood cause I had a leather championship Patriots jacket on. I simply told him "I've been a fan since the horror years in 1972" all he could say was "72' I guess that's ok". Around here if your not for the Skins something must be wrong with you and I can't stand the Redskins, even the name irritates me.

Many can't understand why I live here now and STILL root for teams I no longer live in that town. I told one drunk fan at an O's game.... He asked why do still root for the Sox? If you got a great job up in Boston and you took it, then after living there for some time decided to go to Fenway Park to see the O's play the Sox would you root for the Red Sox? He said "hell no" well you answered your own question. We shook hands and enjoyed the rest of the game.

However, I see we will agree to disagree on the running up the score bullshit.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)