Options

Would you send in a player in to intentionally hurt Tom Brady?

bryn_cmbsbryn_cmbs Posts: 407
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
If you where coaching against the Pats and Belichick had him in the game still throwing the ball trying to run up the score with the Pats already up by 21 or more in the 4th quarter?

I would.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    kenshuntkenshunt London, Ontario, Canada Posts: 2,863
    If they were running up the score like they did to the redskins i would.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,219
    Why did nobody ever want to do this to Peyton Manning in 2003 and 2004 when he was throwing bombs up 28 in the 4th quarter against the Houstons and Tennessees of the world...or against Steve Young when he was throwing his 6th TD pass against the Chargers in the 4th Q of the SuperBowl with a 24 point lead?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    holtzholtz Posts: 509
    If they go for it on 4th down in the 4th quarter like they did against Washington, someone is gonna hit him late, its inevitable.
  • Options
    No, I like Brady and don't think he deserves that.... but I would tell my players if they are running out of bounds or chasing a guy out of bounds that they are encouraged to lay the smack down on Belichick and to try to knock him out of that freakin' sweatshirt....

I can't stand that miserable bastard.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    holtz wrote:
    If they go for it on 4th down in the 4th quarter like they did against Washington, someone is gonna hit him late, its inevitable.

And it will be deserved.
  • Options
    are u retarded. running up the score is the most bs thing ive heard of. there is no rule against it. we were in new england during that washington game. we wanted to put on a show that game. the washington coach said that they were the biggest underdog in the NFL at the time. we wanted them to prove it.
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    are u retarded. running up the score is the most bs thing ive heard of. there is no rule against it. we were in new england during that washington game. we wanted to put on a show that game. the washington coach said that they were the biggest underdog in the NFL at the time. we wanted them to prove it.

Going on it on 4th down with a 40+ point lead in the 4th is running up the score.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    the object in football is to score points
    you dont stop until the game is over, no matter what the score

intentionally hurting someone is bad sportsmanship no matter the reason
  • Options
    bryn_cmbs wrote:
    Going on it on 4th down with a 40+ point lead in the 4th is running up the score.

This is true... I don't have a problem with the Pats actually scoring that many points (and keep scoring after the game is well decided), but when you are going for it on 4th down and keeping your starters in at that point, then don't be surprised if someone takes a cheap shot at someone.

You would think that they'd want to get Cassel some meaningful reps incase something would happen to Brady... that is a great team with depth just about anywhere, but if Brady went down, they can kiss their season goodbye. That's why keeping him in in the 4th quarter up by 40 points is the stupidest, most arrogant thing that you can do.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:

thank you for having some sense
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:

So is leaving in your starters and going for it on 4th down when you are up 40.
  • Options
    gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    Poncier wrote:
    Why did nobody ever want to do this to Peyton Manning in 2003 and 2004 when he was throwing bombs up 28 in the 4th quarter against the Houstons and Tennessees of the world...or against Steve Young when he was throwing his 6th TD pass against the Chargers in the 4th Q of the SuperBowl with a 24 point lead?

Steve Young was actually saying the Pats were running up the score on the pregame a few weeks ago. He thought it was wrong for the NFL

I guess his memory is real bad.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    bryn_cmbs wrote:
    On that particular play, they were damned if they do, damned if they don't.....they were in field goal range....kick a field goal, you're running up the score....go for it, you're running up the score.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    On that particular play, they were damned if they do, damned if they don't.....they were in field goal range....kick a field goal, you're running up the score....go for it, you're running up the score.

That doen't negate the fact that the starters wher STILL IN THE GAME
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    bryn_cmbs wrote:
    So is leaving in your starters and going for it on 4th down when you are up 40.

I disagree with that-perhaps at the pop warner and high school level its unsportsmanlike, but not in the college or the pros.

I would say its bad coaching though, why risk injury to a starter.

But that brings me back to my original point, you dont stop until the game is over.
  • Options
    inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    absolutley. i would then send him after belicheat.
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    i do like brady,,, but because his coach is a dope ,,yes i would
  • Options
    bryn_cmbs wrote:

Alright what did you want him to do kick a field goal???

Punt when they were on 7 yard line???

Go to a knee with 11 minutes to go in the game???
  • Options
    Alright what did you want him to do kick a field goal???

Punt when they were on 7 yard line???

Go to a knee with 11 minutes to go in the game???

take a knee when up by 5-6 touchdowns
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    bryn_cmbs wrote:
    If you where coaching against the Pats and Belichick had him in the game still throwing the ball trying to run up the score with the Pats already up by 21 or more in the 4th quarter?

I would.

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!

Who's gonna get through that line?
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Posts: 475
    Behind the line of scrimmage, hit a QB like you would a kicker. They are put into a vulnerable position due to their role. So sack them, but don't maim them.

Ahead of the line of scrimmage, hit him like you would hit a running back.

I didn't like Joe Montana all that much, but I still can see that Giants lineman (Leonard Marshall) putting his helmet into the middle of Joe's back at full power. Joe came back eventually but that dirty hit ended his "legendary" days.

I know a lot of folks don't like Brady for one reason or another, but once you start hinting at personal injury as a punishment for a personal insult, you need to check yourself into the local psychiatry clinic.
  • Options
    Danimal wrote:
    BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!

Who's gonna get through that line?

I'd send some over-weight scrub off the end of the bench and give him a cheap shot after the play is over. Roll over his knees.
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    At that time of the game, taking a knee is insulting your opponent, and kicking a FG is running up the score.
    If you are in a position on the field where a punt is not an option, you go for it and give the opposing D the opportunity to stop you.
    Every, yes every, football coach, even the clueless Eric Mangini knows and understands this. Gibbs did not complain about what transpired, just some media folk who dislike Bill Belichick because he is not a warm fuzzy interview, and has snubbed many media members in the past.
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:

Have you ever seen a game where anyone takes a knee with 11 minutes to go?

I haven't and I have been watching football for over 30 years.
  • Options
    tybird wrote:

I don't see kicking a field goal as running up the score... they were in field goal range on 4th down, just kick the ball and go about your business.

I don't think they should kneel 3 times and punt the entire 4th quarter, but to go for it on 4th down, just so you can try to score a touchdown is low class in my opinion.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options

no but we might see a game where someone takes brady's knee and crushes it lol
  • Options
    bryn_cmbs wrote:
    If you where coaching against the Pats and Belichick had him in the game still throwing the ball trying to run up the score....

I would.

If that guy doesn't cross the street faster I am speeding up to hit him.

My last sentence makes as much sense as your "I would".
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    "lying sideways atop crumpled sheets and no covers
    he decides to dream... dream up a new self, for himself"

Mansfield, MA (August 07, 1992)
    Mansfield, MA (August 08, 1992)
    Boston, MA (April 12, 1994)
    Washington, D.C. (January 15, 1995)
    Mansfield, MA (September 15, 1998)
    Mansfield, MA (September 16, 1998)
    Bristow, VA (July 01, 2003)
    Hershey, PA (July 12, 2003)
    Reading, PA (October 01, 2004)
    Washington, D.C. (October 11, 2004)
    Washington, D.C. (May 30, 2006)
    E. Rutherford, NJ (June 03, 2006)
    Washington, D.C. (June 22, 2008)
    Bristow, VA (May 13, 2010)
    Baltimore, MD (October 27, 2013)
    Fenway Park, Boston, MA (August 07, 2016)
  • Options
    senninsennin Posts: 2,146

No, that's when you run the ball. Going down field when you're up buy 30 with ten minutes to go, is not a good idea. 1, you could throw a pick, 2, the clock doesn't keep running, 3, it's in poor taste.
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    no but we might see a game where someone takes brady's knee and crushes it lol

Might be this Sunday against the Biils, they owe NE one anyway.
  • Options
    I don't see kicking a field goal as running up the score... they were in field goal range on 4th down, just kick the ball and go about your business.

I don't think they should kneel 3 times and punt the entire 4th quarter, but to go for it on 4th down, just so you can try to score a touchdown is low class in my opinion.
    Football coaches find kicking a FG in a game out of reach to be running up the score, because their team has no real opportunity to prevent those points, whereas when a team runs on 4th down, the defense has a chance to stop them. All coaches on the defensive side would prefer the offense go for it in that case, and a field goal would be considered a slap in the face.
    That is the way it is in coaching circles. It amazes me that so many of the "experts" in the media and on ESPN are so clueless and up in arms still about this 3 weeks later.