Options

The Montreal Canadiens Thread

Comments

• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    kenshunt wrote:
    i have a feeling mats may be a canadien by july 1 if not sooner :(
    Why???
    Don't worry yourself, my friend. We'd only give up a draft pick in exchange for his rights, and you guys will ask for more than that, so that puts us to July 1st with no change (oh, and thanks for spelling the name right) and like I said a few posts back, it is inconceivable that he'll leave Toronto for any reason other than permanent retirement.
  • Options
    kenshuntkenshunt London, Ontario, Canada Posts: 2,863
    Rygar wrote:
    Why???
    Don't worry yourself, my friend. We'd only give up a draft pick in exchange for his rights, and you guys will ask for more than that, so that puts us to July 1st with no change (oh, and thanks for spelling the name right) and like I said a few posts back, it is inconceivable that he'll leave Toronto for any reason other than permanent retirement.
    It's just that damn Prime Time Sports im listening to, they are making me uncomfortable lol.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    kenshunt wrote:
    It's just that damn Prime Time Sports im listening to, they are making me uncomfortable lol.
    Bah, stop listening to Toronto media and you'll be fine ;)
  • Options
    Please don't trade Higgins to Toronto.....
  • Options
    Only slightly interesting free agency period for my boys. Good pick up in Tanguay, I'm betting he'll want to stick around come next season (and we'll want him provided he gives us a little production). Hopefully he will settle for a little less dough, though.

Laraques signing isn't too bad. Lost Ryder, which kinda sucks. I liked him even if he stunk the place out last year. Hopefully he rebounds for the Boo-urns.

Grabovski to Toronto is an interesting move. Kid's got potential, but it's hard to say if he'll ever reach an NHL level of play.

Lost Streit to NYI. Nice payday for him, good luck to him. He'll need it on that team.

What the hell we signed Denis for is beyond me, other than to handle duties FOR THE FARM TEAM.

And I'm glad we kept Higgie. Now go get Selanne, Shanahan and Federov ;)
  • Options
    With the start of training camp just three weeks away, the Montreal Canadiens aren't holding out much hope of landing unrestricted free agent Mats Sundin.

General Manager Bob Gainey discussed the team's attempts to try to sign the centre on Tuesday and admitted there's been little response from Sundin's camp.

"It's hard to be optimistic," Gainey told TSN's sister station RDS on Tuesday. "We haven't had much contact with him. It appears he's not interested. He hasn't asked many questions about the organization."

The Canadiens were seen as the front runners for the 37-year-old after the team acquired his negotiating rights from the Toronto Maple Leafs in late June. But the former Leaf captain remains undecided on whether or not he wants to return for another NHL season.

As many as six teams have expressed interest in Sundin's service, including the Leafs, Vancouver Canucks and New York Rangers. While teams have remained in contact with Sundin's agent J.P. Barry, Gainey has not heard anything as of late.

"We haven't spoken to Sundin's camp for at least a week," he told RDS. "There's nothing new, he hasn't decided anything yet. He told me he'd decide in August and today's the 26th. We'll know, provided he respects his own due date, his decision should come sometime throughout the next week."

Gainey, however, has not given up all hope.

"We're going to wait for his decision until September if we have to," he said. "On paper, we have the perfect team for him. There's certainly room for him with our team."

With the team's centennial drawing closer, there's added pressure for the Canadiens to put a Stanley Cup contender on the ice. And if the Sundin plan falls through, Gainey may be willing to explore other options to improve his lineup.

"I know that certain other teams are presently over the salary cap," he explained. "We'll have to see. If Mats doesn't join us, maybe we'll discuss things with those teams."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=247648&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main
  • Options
    LostdoggieLostdoggie Posts: 257
    Mats on this team would be a perfect fit but I also have my doubts he will join, which kind of sucks. We need a 1st line center and unfortunately those aren't readily available. I wonder what Bob's back up plans are.
    Sometimes life don't leave you alone

8/20/98 - Montreal
    8/29/00, 8/30/00 - Mansfield
    7/02/03, 7/03/03, 7/11/03 - Mansfield
    9/28/04, 9/29/04 - Boston
    5/24/06, 5/25/06 - Boston
    6/28/08, 6/30/08 - Mansfield
  • Options
    Lostdoggie wrote:
    Mats on this team would be a perfect fit but I also have my doubts he will join, which kind of sucks. We need a 1st line center and unfortunately those aren't readily available. I wonder what Bob's back up plans are.
    Bobs backup plans are to go for a center from a team over the cap. I have heard Robert Lang mentioned (not a first line center), but don't believe rumors.
    I've maintained for quite some time now that Sundin isn't signing in Montreal, but you're right - on paper it's the perfect fit. Toronto or Vancouver (MAYBE NYR, but that is a long shot imo).
  • Options
    November 22nd, Roy's number goes to the Bell Centre rafters.
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=249142&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    November 22nd, Roy's number goes to the Bell Centre rafters.
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=249142&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main

It's about time Patrick returns to the organization.

8/20/98 - Montreal
  • Options
    Lostdoggie wrote:
    It's about time Patrick returns to the organization.
    Agreed!
  • Options
    Montreal just acquired Robert Lang..for a draft pick.
    No Sundin coming to Montreal.
    Thoughts?

Oh, we also re-signed Breezy to a one year contract....
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Montreal just acquired Robert Lang..for a draft pick.
    No Sundin coming to Montreal.
    Thoughts?

Oh, we also re-signed Breezy to a one year contract....

Lang should be an upgrade offensively over Smolinski, but I think Lang is too old to be considered a 1st or 2nd line center. I doubt he scores more then 50 points. He's no Sundin.

What does this mean for the younger guys? Does Chipchura stay in the AHL for another year?

8/20/98 - Montreal
  • Options
    Lostdoggie wrote:
    Lang should be an upgrade offensively over Smolinski, but I think Lang is too old to be considered a 1st or 2nd line center. I doubt he scores more then 50 points. He's no Sundin.

What does this mean for the younger guys? Does Chipchura stay in the AHL for another year?
    Yeah Chipchura won't be breaking the lineup this year.
  • Options
    So I've been trying to get tickets to see the Habs retire Roy's number in Nov. No luck at all. Is anyone going? Does anyone know anyone with tickets? I want to go so bad. I live in NJ and don't get to go to Montreal much at all, but Roy is my favorite player ever, and I feel like I need to be there. If anyone can help out at all I'll be indebted to you for life (or at least for a little while)
    -one thing to remember, always have a good time, all the time
  • Options
    So I've been trying to get tickets to see the Habs retire Roy's number in Nov. No luck at all. Is anyone going? Does anyone know anyone with tickets? I want to go so bad. I live in NJ and don't get to go to Montreal much at all, but Roy is my favorite player ever, and I feel like I need to be there. If anyone can help out at all I'll be indebted to you for life (or at least for a little while)
    They be soooooold out.
    Try ebay? Or the street outside the Bell Centre the night of...long haul from Jersey for a maybe though ;)
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    They be soooooold out.
    Try ebay? Or the street outside the Bell Centre the night of...long haul from Jersey for a maybe though ;)

I'm not a fan of their ticket system... very strange.

I'll check ebay, but I'm not going to want to pay $300 a seat for the nose bleeds. Well I would, but I'm married... so I cant.
    -one thing to remember, always have a good time, all the time
  • Options
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=250000&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_nhl
    Nice interview with Saku.
    Problem is no one expected success from Mtl last year, and we ended the regular season first in the conference. This year there's no surprises...
  • Options
    Two pre-season shootout wins against Detroit.
    Price looked very good tonight.
  • Options
    mertmert Posts: 167
    AMAZING game last night! Didn't seem like the preseason at all... I thought it was funny, though, when the TSN guys were raving about Price's backhand flip save in the third period, because my first thought was "He has done that before..." ;) It was amazing, but it's no big surprise anymore. Pacioretty was on fire too, obviously. What a kid. :D
  • Options
    mert wrote:
    AMAZING game last night! Didn't seem like the preseason at all... I thought it was funny, though, when the TSN guys were raving about Price's backhand flip save in the third period, because my first thought was "He has done that before..." ;) It was amazing, but it's no big surprise anymore. Pacioretty was on fire too, obviously. What a kid. :D
    Mostly luck, but fun to see (and point out), hehehe!
    Almost time! I'll be ordering RDS next week.
  • Options
    haha, not bad, got a point despite not showing up
    The NHL network coverage/announcers BLOOOOOW.
  • Options
    Mmmm, that's nice.
    Habs looked quite a bit better than last night.
  • Options
    Not too often can you get away with showing up for one period and walking away with a win, but I'll take it.
    Lucky for the rest of the team Price showed up to play the whole game.
  • Options
    Looking good so far tonight, even though its the usual whipping boy the Bruins.

8/20/98 - Montreal
  • Options
    Lostdoggie wrote:
    Looking good so far tonight, even though its the usual whipping boy the Bruins.
    Another pp for the B's, one more goal and they're back in it...
  • Options
    Oh man, this showing up for a period of play bs has gotta go.
    Eeked another win out, Price was solid, Kostopolous put in a good game.
    2 pts is 2 pts, but contenders play 60 minutes.
  • Options
    Best start in 26 years. Haven't looked like we wanted to win them all but a win is a win.
    Injuries already a pain (no pun intended) this year.
  • Options
    I can't wait for Higgins and AK46 to be in the line up at the same time. That will make 3 impressive lines.

8/20/98 - Montreal