Options

The Montreal Canadiens Thread

RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
edited April 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
Alright, with all the talk of hockey and hockey fans, this thread for my beloved Habs, for twenty some odd years, is long overdue.
With our boys teetering on the edge of a playoff position, and any realistic chance of taking the 2007 Stanley Cup being terribly low, I say...Who cares! C'mon boys! So what if you only show up for 40 minutes (if we're lucky :P) a game! Make 8th and humiliate whoever finishes in first place! Then, if you feel like it, we can continue with the second round ;)

Hopefully they can find the chemistry that they had from October till January and turn things around for the last 16 games of the season.

Go Habs Go!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    we busted ur arses on tuesday night
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:

Yeah? I don't think you guys had a lot to do with it.
  • Options
    gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    I'm a Sens fan but I'm hoping that the Canadiens will come in 8th and knock off an injured Buffalo team! Go Habs!
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Options
    gleemonex wrote:
    I'm a Sens fan but I'm hoping that the Canadiens will come in 8th and knock off an injured Buffalo team! Go Habs!

Haha, I'll take any cheering, however misguided :P
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    Habs fans better hope that Abeschier (sp?) can regain half his form while in Colorado or that this Halak rookie can ride a stream that a goalie like Patrick Lalime rode when he first came into the league or I highly doubt this team will make the play-offs which would be a huge shame because 1) they are a Canadian team and any Canadain team making the play-offs is a plus 2) they were so dominant from the start of the season till about late December/early-January

Why couldn't of Gainey traded a 3rd or 4th round pick, or both, for Belfour or Joseph, just for some insurance?
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    smarchee wrote:
    Habs fans better hope that Abeschier (sp?) can regain half his form while in Colorado or that this Halak rookie can ride a stream that a goalie like Patrick Lalime rode when he first came into the league or I highly doubt this team will make the play-offs which would be a huge shame because 1) they are a Canadian team and any Canadain team making the play-offs is a plus 2) they were so dominant from the start of the season till about late December/early-January

Why couldn't of Gainey traded a 3rd or 4th round pick, or both, for Belfour or Joseph, just for some insurance?

Yeah, they are playing an opposite second half of the season and I can't wait until this season is over :P
    Abby let in 8 goals last night, and we popped 5, which is unusually good for us (the goals for, not against :P). Not good, not good. It'll be an eek into a playoff position if we get it at all. Same goes for TO. Honestly though I don't think either team is going to make it in.
  • Options
    orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    i love watching the montreal canadians broadcasts.....that funny french announcer.....and that crowd, "Le-booooo!", "Le-hissssss!".
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Options
    A long read, but pretty much explains why big name UFA's don't (usually) sign in Montreal = the media (and often bloodthirsty fans).

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=198897&hubname=nhl

MONTREAL (CP) - Alex Kovalev says it was all made up.

The Montreal Canadiens right-winger insists he didn't criticize coach Guy Carbonneau or his teammates in an interview with a Moscow radio station two weeks ago. An alleged transcript of the interview, in which he says Carbonneau doesn't like Russian players, appeared later in the Russian weekly magazine Football-Hockey.

And on Monday, it was translated into French in Montreal La Presse, which devoted nearly its entire sports section to the controversial statements that Kovalev denies ever making. It's main headline was: Good Information Despite Kovalev's Denial.

The rival Le Journal de Montreal backed Kovalev, saying he was the victim of an internet hoax.

It drew a crush of cameras, microphones and notebooks to the Bell Centre, where Kovalev pleaded not guilty.
    Related Info

* Kovalev Responds

"There's nothing to explain," Kovalev said. "Everybody knows I won't say those things. I'm not that type of person.

"They know that if I want to say something about my teammates or anyone in the organization I would go to that person and say it."

Carbonneau accepted that explanation after meeting with his veteran winger, who is known for speaking his mind.

"I had a good conversation with him," said Carbonneau. "I can read people pretty good and if he lied, he's a good liar, but I believe him."

The magazine quotes Kovalev as saying Carbonneau doesn't like Russians and that francophone players receive preferential treatment; that the coach doesn't talk to his players; and that the team's accent on defence stifles creative players like himself and Sergei Samsonov.

It also says that because francophone players stick together the club is split into cliques; and that young players like Guillaume Latendresse and Maxim Lapierre have swollen egos because they have the support of the fans.

The wiseguys in the media noted that whether he said those things or not, it's not all off-base about the slumping Canadiens, who are in a 4-10-0 rut that has dropped them out of playoff position.

Kovalev said he spoke to the radio station for two or three minutes for his 33rd birthday on Feb. 24, but didn't discuss most of what appeared in the magazine.

"The only thing was she asked me about my performance and I said that when you play defensive hockey, you have to give up certain things from your game," he said. "But this is a team sport. You have to stick to the team plan."

How fans will react is uncertain. The Canadiens play at Atlanta on Thursday and in St. Louis on Saturday and do not play at home until March 13 against the New York Islanders.

Kovalev, one of the club's highest-paid players at $US4.5 million per season and probably the most talented on the team, is having a terrible year.

He has only 13 goals and 27 assists in 61 games after a season of 23 goals and 42 assists in 69 games 2005-06.

He was benched for most of the third period of a 5-3 loss to Ottawa on Feb. 10 and then took himself out of the lineup for seven games to heal a sore elbow.

He returned on Feb. 26, the day the magazine interview appeared. It has been much talked of in internet chat rooms since then.

Kovalev said he is not a "stupid person" who is unaware that what is said in the Russian media will find its way back to North America.

"I don't have a problem with the coach," he said. "There's things you want to see the coach do better, but the coach is the coach.

"He sets up the game plan and we have to make it happen. I never had any problem with the coaches."

And he said he has no problem with the Canadiens, who signed him to a $13.5-million, three-year contract as a free agent in 2005.

"I can compare it with the Rangers - I think this organization treats players twice better than even they are treated in New York," he said.

His teammates appeared to accept his explanations.

"I've known Alex two years and that's not his style," said defenceman Mathieu Dandenault.

And the rookie Latendresse denied the team was divided.

"On the road, we all go out to eat together and we all talk," he said. "When I heard about this, I was surprised."

Kovalev complained he has frequently been misunderstood and misrepresented in the media. He said it was unfair that he is often portrayed as selfish and that one magazine listed him among the NHL's hardest-to-coach players.

He said it may eventually drive him out of Montreal.

"If you (media) are going to keep embarrassing me here, there's no reason for me to stay because I don't want to ruin my reputation and ruin my career," he said. "Sometimes you wonder why anyone would want to be a good player when things like that happen.

"Maybe you should just stay a low-profile player and not worry about anything else. But I want to be the best player."
  • Options
    And as a recent development the Russian reporter has said it is a misunderstanding.
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    NY PJ1 wrote:

Were you not up there with Montreal at the beginning of the season. Seems a couple of asses and bubbles have burst hard.

Go Habs Go. The more Cdn teams in the playoffs the better!
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    respect to another original 6 team thread.

i met a dude at this past tourstop in Camden, right at the ticket window pickup, by the 10 club ticket lines.

He was obviously a passionate french canadian pearl jam fan, we joked a little bit back and forth for a few minutes before my girlfriend and i went into the show . He was wearing the red canadiens jersey, so we immediately were chatting hockey along with pearl jam ( he was in search of tickets ) .

anyhow, the habs are chasing the rest of the pack, just like my NYRs
    I was reading about Kovalev and his recent statements, about the coach supposebly being against the russian players :confused:

oh and souray is awesome, the guys got a cannon for a shot .

with that i'll get back to my own hockey teams thread,

[size=+3] - _/ _/ _/ Lets Go Rangers \_ \_ \_ - [/size]
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:
    The more Cdn teams in the playoffs the better!

the more original 6 teams in, the better.

re$pect
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    respect to another original 6 team thread.

i met a dude at this past tourstop in Camden, right at the ticket window pickup, by the 10 club ticket lines.

He was obviously a passionate french canadian pearl jam fan, we joked a little bit back and forth for a few minutes before my girlfriend and i went into the show . He was wearing the red canadiens jersey, so we immediately were chatting hockey along with pearl jam ( he was in search of tickets ) .

anyhow, the habs are chasing the rest of the pack, just like my NYRs
    I was reading about Kovalev and his recent statements, about the coach supposebly being against the russian players :confused:

oh and souray is awesome, the guys got a cannon for a shot .

with that i'll get back to my own hockey teams thread,

[size=+3] - _/ _/ _/ Lets Go Rangers \_ \_ \_ - [/size]

Well thanks for dropping by :P
    The Kovalev stuff is looking to be a big load of BS, just more for the sharks in La Presse to cause trouble with.

I hope we don't lose Souray in the off-season. LA will be a happy team.
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:
    Were you not up there with Montreal at the beginning of the season. Seems a couple of asses and bubbles have burst hard.

i know the habs are waaaaaaaaayy in front
  • Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Rygar wrote:
    A long read, but pretty much explains why big name UFA's don't (usually) sign in Montreal = the media (and often bloodthirsty fans).

Totally.... you see it here with baseball players (and other sports) under the microscope playing in New York, but I can't imagine Montreal for hockey players. There are enough glory hungry baseball, football and basketball players that want to play under the spotlight in New York, but hockey players for the most part are a different breed. Most don't seek out the spotlight, and would rather not play every game under that microscope.

I'm from Pittsburgh, and I've heard Mario say that numerous times how happy he is here with his family and everything... people leave him alone. Even Crosby has said he gets some people staring and a few autograph seekers when he goes shopping or whatever, but for the most part they are left alone there.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Totally.... you see it here with baseball players (and other sports) under the microscope playing in New York, but I can't imagine Montreal for hockey players. There are enough glory hungry baseball, football and basketball players that want to play under the spotlight in New York, but hockey players for the most part are a different breed. Most don't seek out the spotlight, and would rather not play every game under that microscope.

I'm from Pittsburgh, and I've heard Mario say that numerous times how happy he is here with his family and everything... people leave him alone. Even Crosby has said he gets some people staring and a few autograph seekers when he goes shopping or whatever, but for the most part they are left alone there.

Toronto isn't that much different when it comes from hockey (seems the Leafs are definitively in or out of the playoffs whether they won or lost the night before...in October....). Similar to the Yankees, guys getting ripped left right and centre.
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:

HABS 72 POINTS

RANGERS 71 POINTS

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO ur right we have fallen real far behind

P.S. 2 GAMES IN HAND
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    i know the habs are waaaaaaaaayy in front

I am having some fun. Remember about 20 games into the season who the front runners were. Like I said just having some fun.

I have a fondness as Andy has pointed out for all the original six teams too. Six best uniforms in the league.

Anyhow good luck to all the teams you cheer for. Let's go Dead Wings let's go!

And on a side note. If the Leafs don't make the playoffs this year. Or even if they do. Make sure you people who go to live games chant 1967 everytime the Laughs pay a visit. As a nice gesture to even flow?. :) They were so bad for so long that I had to move down the 401 to find a half decent team to cheer for. ;)
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    HABS 72 POINTS

RANGERS 71 POINTS

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO ur right we have fallen real far behind

P.S. 2 GAMES IN HAND

Are you still on this? He didn't say you fell behind, he said you fell right along with...
    It's not Mtl you should be worried about, it's the other 4 teams within 4 points of you.
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:
    I am having some fun. Remember about 20 games into the season who the front runners were. Like I said just having some fun.

I have a fondness as Andy has pointed out for all the original six teams too. Six best uniforms in the league.

Anyhow good luck to all the teams you cheer for. Let's go Dead Wings let's go!

And on a side note. If the Leafs don't make the playoffs this year. Or even if they do. Make sure you people who go to live games chant 1967 everytime the Laughs pay a visit. As a nice gesture to even flow?. :) They were so bad for so long that I had to move down the 401 to find a half decent team to cheer for. ;)

Haha, that's my favorite. Only the Leafs would celebrate 40 years without a cup :P
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Haha, that's my favorite. Only the Leafs would celebrate 40 years without a cup :P

They rolled out most of the 1967 squad a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday night. And I must say that if that were any other building in the NHL which is supposed to be filled with hockey fans, they would have given those boys a hell of a lot longer ovation then they got that night. Made me kind of sad in a way. My joke is the Laughs last one the cup when I was born and I will be on my death bed before they win another one. :) So long ago the pics of them with the cup are in b/w. ;) I have my little 1967 banner in the basement to remind me of how futile they have been in the last forty years.
  • Options
    Big, big win last night. 2 points between 11th and 7th, nasty.
    The 5th goal was a beaut, too.
    Nolan said DiPietro was looking good when he got back from the hospital, though, so some good news for the Isles.

And more Sergei Samsonov shitstorm. Before or after the game against St. Louis he said he regrets signing here, and before last night's game he said he regrets saying he regrets signing here. There is one frustrated hockey player.
  • Options
    it seems alot of people care about the habs on here ;)

considering the amount of feedback u get
  • Options
    They're around here somewhere.
  • Options
    Nice article in La Presse today about the Habs youth.

Carey Price (G)
    Halak (G)
    Emelin (D)
    O'Byrne (D)
    David Fischer (D)
    Andrei Kostitsyn (F)
    Sergei Kostitsyn (F)
    Guillaume Latendresse (F)
    Kyle Chipchura (F)
    D'Agostini (F)
    Lapierre (F)
    Maxwell (F)
    Ryan White ( F)
    Grabovski (F)

Plus Higgins, Komisarek, Ryder, Perezhogin and Plekanec are not old and are not rookie anymore.

Future look bright for the Habs.

Present is a bit less stellar though, and the Habs need a win against Boston tonight.
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    And another win on Thursday against the Bruins.

Kostisyn had a nice game on Saturday. I was cursing at the TV when I saw him in the shootout ("Why the **** did they put him in there!?!?!") then he scored, nicely, I might add...good thing no one was around to hear me cursing.

Good to see Kovalev back in the line up - the vertigo scare, short as it was, was not cool.
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    And another win on Thursday against the Bruins.

Kostisyn had a nice game on Saturday. I was cursing at the TV when I saw him in the shootout ("Why the **** did they put him in there!?!?!") then he scored, nicely, I might add...good thing no one was around to hear me cursing.

Good to see Kovalev back in the line up - the vertigo scare, short as it was, was not cool.

the announcers were talking about the pressure on kostisyn

they didn't finish the sentence b4 the puck was in
  • Options
    It was a nice goal.
    I seem to be more skeptical about the younger players in the Habs' pool than my fellow fans, but he played a good game on Saturday. If there is one team I f#@$% hate losing against, it's the Laffs.
    edit - on the note of younger players, Halak played a spectacular game.
  • Options
    Montreal can get 2 points tonight, and I expect Carolina to grab 2 as well.
    Toronto's next two games are against Buffalo, which you'd think they'd lose, but I can't get those Leafs to piss off.
    Islanders are up against Pittsburgh tonight, so they should have a rough go of things.

From TSN:
    Habs and Bruins renew rivalry in Boston
    Sports Network) - The Montreal Canadiens have improved their play recently and hope to continue that trend tonight on the NHL on TSN, when they visit the Boston Bruins at TD Banknorth Garden for the finale of a home-and-home series.

The game can be seen live on TSN and TSNHD at 7:30pm et/4:30pm pt.

Earlier this month, the Canadiens were mired in a four-game losing streak, but the club has won four of its last five contests since then.

However, the Habs are still fighting for their playoff lives and come into tonight's action tied with Toronto and Carolina for the eighth and final postseason spot in the East. The Hurricanes will also be in action tonight, as they host the Washington Capitals.
    Related Info

The opener of this home-and-home set was on Tuesday evening at Montreal's Bell Centre, where the Canadiens skated away with a close triumph. Guillaume Latendresse scored the lone goal of the contest and Jaroslav Halak notched his first career shutout as the Canadiens edged the Bruins, 1-0.

Halak stopped 30 shots, including 14 in a busy third period for Montreal, which has won back-to-back games.

Tim Thomas finished with 31 saves for Boston, which has lost five of its last seven.

The Bruins were once in the heat of the playoff race, but have now fallen into 13th place in the East with 73 points. They are just seven points behind the trio holding the final postseason berth in the conference, but would have to also get past Florida and the New York Islanders before breaking into the top eight spots.

This evening's contest is the first of two straight at home for the Bruins, who are 18-15-3 as the host this year but have dropped four of their last six in Beantown. However, Montreal is just 15-19-3 as the away club and has been defeated in six of its last seven road tests.

The season series between these two Original Six franchises is tied at three wins apiece, but the Canadiens have take eight of its last 11 matchups with Boston.
  • Options
    is TSN the same as Versus ?

we get stuck watching this one on Versus, which is just horrible.

the worst camera work in hockey, since the fox glowpuck.
    platessmall.jpg