The Montreal Canadiens Thread

Comments

• kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    Rygar wrote:
    The same coach didn't bring up the blatent cheap shot that occurred moments before, either.
    How about Downie's interference on Markov? No?
    Richards on Halak? No again?
    And as far as Canada's babied team goes..you've got them confused with someone else.
    There the only canadian team that matters

Go Leafs Go
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    Rygar wrote:
    The same coach didn't bring up the blatent cheap shot that occurred moments before, either.
    How about Downie's interference on Markov? No?
    Richards on Halak? No again?
    And as far as Canada's babied team goes..you've got them confused with someone else.

I didn't say the Flyers haven't committed penalties but our coach didn't come out and say it was warranted. Are you trying to say this wasn't a cheap shot on Timmonen?
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    pjhawks wrote:
    I didn't say the Flyers haven't committed penalties but our coach didn't come out and say it was warranted. Are you trying to say this wasn't a cheap shot on Timmonen?
    Oh it was DEFINITELY a cheap shot on Timmonen.
    TK came clean for it too, but what'd you expect the coach to say to the media? Stevens' would have said near the same.
    Rygar wrote:
    Oh it was DEFINITELY a cheap shot on Timmonen.
    TK came clean for it too, but what'd you expect the coach to say to the media? Stevens' would have said near the same.

no chance Stevens would have said the same thing. In fact Stevens was quoted in the papers here as saying if he did say something like that he would have been disciplined by the league. You can't justify a coach saying a player deserved a cheap shot - and his reasoning was because he said the Flyers were celebreating too much. what a bunch of bs.
    pjhawks wrote:
    no chance Stevens would have said the same thing. In fact Stevens was quoted in the papers here as saying if he did say something like that he would have been disciplined by the league. You can't justify a coach saying a player deserved a cheap shot - and his reasoning was because he said the Flyers were celebreating too much. what a bunch of bs.
    Funny, I can't justify what the coach says, but hits from behind, cheap shots on the goalie and half the team are perfectly reasonable?
    Rygar wrote:
    Funny, I can't justify what the coach says, but hits from behind, cheap shots on the goalie and half the team are perfectly reasonable?

where are half the team committing cheap shots? No one is defending the hit by Hatcher - are you trying to say the Downie trip on Price was a cheap shot? your out of your mind. he went for the puck and hit his skate - again, he was penalized for it - no one said it wasn't a penalty but cheap? If it wasn't Steven Downie would anyone call that play cheap? Why does everyone still think it's the 70s and the Flyers are still the Broad Street Bullies?
    pjhawks wrote:
    where are half the team committing cheap shots? No one is defending the hit by Hatcher - are you trying to say the Downie trip on Price was a cheap shot? your out of your mind. he went for the puck and hit his skate - again, he was penalized for it - no one said it wasn't a penalty but cheap? If it wasn't Steven Downie would anyone call that play cheap? Why does everyone still think it's the 70s and the Flyers are still the Broad Street Bullies?
    I'll concede that. If it was Briere it would automatically be considered an accident, but Downie is hardly a saint, and it's easily believeable to think he'd do it on purpose anyway. He went for a stomp on Price's trapper earlier in the period. The cheap shot on Halak (elbow by Richards I think) was an obvious cheap shot. On half the team, not by half the team.
    You misunderstand me - I don't think half your team is a bunch of goons, I consider that role to be the same 3 or 4 people. It's just funny that half of you think everything that happens is justified unless it's done by the opposition.
    Rygar wrote:
    I'll concede that. If it was Briere it would automatically be considered an accident, but Downie is hardly a saint, and it's easily believeable to think he'd do it on purpose anyway. He went for a stomp on Price's trapper earlier in the period. The cheap shot on Halak (elbow by Richards I think) was an obvious cheap shot. On half the team, not by half the team.
    You misunderstand me - I don't think half your team is a bunch of goons, I consider that role to be the same 3 or 4 people. It's just funny that half of you think everything that happens is justified unless it's done by the opposition.

Downie seems to be a nut job, he has a screw loose. Thankfully Knuble is coming back so he won't have to play anymore. And the Richards elbow was cheap I agree. Have no clue what he was doing there. Richards has been really chripy with the refs this series too - he's complaining on every call it seems. Love his game but not sure why he is doing that. I don't think either team has been any more guilty than the other but to me it just seems like everyone is chastizing the Flyers for it a whole lot more than the Canadians. Better strap yourself in though because this looks like a 7 game series, 6 for sure.
    pjhawks wrote:
    Downie seems to be a nut job, he has a screw loose. Thankfully Knuble is coming back so he won't have to play anymore. And the Richards elbow was cheap I agree. Have no clue what he was doing there. Richards has been really chripy with the refs this series too - he's complaining on every call it seems. Love his game but not sure why he is doing that. I don't think either team has been any more guilty than the other but to me it just seems like everyone is chastizing the Flyers for it a whole lot more than the Canadians. Better strap yourself in though because this looks like a 7 game series, 6 for sure.
    I hate the blame talk, so I'm more than happy to move on.
    I don't see a 6 or 7 game series unless Price is immediately back on his game. We don't have the luxury of time for him to rebuild his confidence. I'm ok with Halak playing as he's proven himself to be able to play amazing, however his third period on Monday is the only playoff experience (no AHL or NHL) ever, so that's a question mark.
    And we need to get someone in front of Biron cause he can see everything coming at him, and that will ensure more than 2 of our near 40 shots will go in (providing our offensive pressure, while not on the pp of course keeps up).

If our goal improves you guys are going to have to increase the offensive zone pressure cause the wristers from outside the faceoff circle won't be going in anymore. I think the goal situation might be a lost cause for this year though. No hope in Huet, one paper put it after Monday ;)
  • McCready00McCready00 Posts: 371
    -"it's times like these you have to ask yourself, "what would mike mccready do"
    McCready00 wrote:
    hahahaha, nice editing :p
    Our shot on glass count (SOG) might actually be higher than our shot on board count(SOB)!!
    :p

Good save by Halak (point to me for prediction) on the breakaway, and Biron is as good as he has been all series (dang).
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Ole Ole Ole Ole Ole Ole !!

;)

Good series boys

We just have guys that are playing out of their minds right now and wont quit

That 3rd Period was unbelievable
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    Up down period for Carey, looked amazing then let in more softies...
    I wouldn't mind Umberger scoring so much if he didn't remind me of Cletus.
    Next year looks better.
    Good season boys.
    Sports are officially over until October!
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    Rygar wrote:
    Sports are officially over until October!

Bye Bye till it starts all over again.

Let's go BRUINS. :)

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Nice season and great series... looks like it wasn't the glove's fault after all. Hopefully Price gets some lessons on how to use it over the off season ;)
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
    Fore...nice season tho
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    chromiam wrote:
    Nice season and great series... looks like it wasn't the glove's fault after all. Hopefully Price gets some lessons on how to use it over the off season ;)
    haha, see you on the green in 4!
    kenshunt wrote:
    Fore...nice season tho
    Yeah awesome season, shitty post-season.
    Now we wait for October.
    Bets on where Ryder goes?
    Rygar wrote:
    Yeah awesome season, shitty post-season.
    Now we wait for October.
    Bets on where Ryder goes?
    Calgary for Tanguay lol, i dunno
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Rygar wrote:
    haha, see you on the green in 4!

Don't think so !

It's going at least 6 or 7 games

I give the Flyers a good shot
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    kenshunt wrote:
    Calgary for Tanguay lol, i dunno
    Nah, Ryder is UFA I believe. Gone for nothing, but I don't think he'll be landing the 3 million anywhere else.
    Don't think so !

It's going at least 6 or 7 games

I give the Flyers a good shot
    Six will be a stretch, IMO. I'll go with 5.
    Rygar wrote:
    Six will be a stretch, IMO. I'll go with 5.
    LOLSTERS @ my 2008 playoff accuracies.

In the meantime:

Off-Season Game Plan from TSN.ca:

The Montreal Canadiens topped 100 points in a season for the first time since 1992-1993, a surprising development from a team stocked with young talent.

Off-Season Game Plan looks at one of the most talented young teams in the league, and what they might do in an effort to take the next step and get back to competing for the Stanley Cup.

Bounced by the Flyers in the second round of the playoffs, the Canadiens haven't advanced beyond the second round since 1993 (the last time they won the Stanely Cup, yet there is still a great sense of optimism surrounding the team because they have such quality young players on the rise to support their established veterans.

With guys like Alex Kovalev and Saku Koivu holding leadership positions on the team, the Habs can't afford to waste their productive years. Thus, adding another veteran could help speed the Habs along the development curve.

Free agency hasn't been terribly kind to Montreal in recent seasons, but the team's improving reputation as one of the league's up-and-coming young teams may help sway the decision of a potential big-name addition.

If young players like Tomas Plekanec, Chris Higgins and the Kostitsyn brothers -- to say nothing of Carey Price -- improve, the Canadiens will have to be considered among the contenders heading into next season and that kind of potential is attractive.

So, what kind of player might the Habs want to get?

"We want to play a fast game," general manager Bob Gainey told the Montreal Gazette. "Could we be bigger and more rugged? Perhaps, but our philosophy is we're quick, we're exciting, we're on the attack and we're ready to score."

That's a style of play that isn't just attractive to free agents, but it makes the Canadiens one of the more entertaining teams in the league to watch.

Just like old times.
    Sources tell TSN the Toronto Maple Leafs are trying to encourage Mats Sundin to decide his playing future before July 1.

In the past 24 hours the Montreal Canadiens were granted permission by the Maple Leafs to speak to Sundin's agent J.P. Barry about the possibility of the 37-year-old centre signing in Montreal.

"We gave Montreal permission," Leafs general manager Cliff Fletcher flatly told TSN. "Nothing else to say."

The Leafs would have to trade Sundin's negotiating rights to the Canadiens to facilitate an early signing.

It's too early to say whether or not the two Canadian teams will make that move, as the Canadiens' reluctance to give up any assets for the privilege to get to the Leafs' captain may be based on his willingness to speed up his decision making.

At this point, Sundin remains uncertain as to whether he or not he will play at all, so the Canadiens' attempt to get a head-start may turn out to be a fruitless exercise.

The Canadiens believed they were close to a deal to acquire Sundin at the trade deadline, but Sundin refused to waive his no-trade to accomodate that deal, or the potential for any other.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241233&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    kenshunt wrote:
    Sources tell TSN the Toronto Maple Leafs are trying to encourage Mats Sundin to decide his playing future before July 1.

In the past 24 hours the Montreal Canadiens were granted permission by the Maple Leafs to speak to Sundin's agent J.P. Barry about the possibility of the 37-year-old centre signing in Montreal.

"We gave Montreal permission," Leafs general manager Cliff Fletcher flatly told TSN. "Nothing else to say."

The Leafs would have to trade Sundin's negotiating rights to the Canadiens to facilitate an early signing.

It's too early to say whether or not the two Canadian teams will make that move, as the Canadiens' reluctance to give up any assets for the privilege to get to the Leafs' captain may be based on his willingness to speed up his decision making.

At this point, Sundin remains uncertain as to whether he or not he will play at all, so the Canadiens' attempt to get a head-start may turn out to be a fruitless exercise.

The Canadiens believed they were close to a deal to acquire Sundin at the trade deadline, but Sundin refused to waive his no-trade to accomodate that deal, or the potential for any other.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241233&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main
    I like my edit: http://img154.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sundinhabib8.jpg

PS: The odds of Sundin going ANYWHERE are very slim. He's in Toronto or he's retiring.
    never say never, cito gaston is back as jays manager after 11 years, so anything is possible lol.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    kenshunt wrote:
    never say never, cito gaston is back as jays manager after 11 years, so anything is possible lol.
    hahahaha
    I said slim ;)
    i have a feeling mats may be a canadien by july 1 if not sooner :(
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013