The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972
    They represent Philly and hockey playoff games are pretty friggin sweet, it's just the sport and the "real" die-hards - ya know, the straight up Flyers nerds - that make me go meh for the most part. And not to mention they totally changed the sport when the abstract gun was put to their head.

Baseball
    Football
    Rugby
    Basketball
    Rowing - yeah, I said it

Hockey
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,727
    They represent Philly and hockey playoff games are pretty friggin sweet, it's just the sport and the "real" die-hards - ya know, the straight up Flyers nerds - that make me go meh for the most part. And not to mention they totally changed the sport when the abstract gun was put to their head.

Baseball
    Football
    Rugby
    Basketball
    Rowing - yeah, I said it

Hockey

Speaking of Rugby....did you see the Canberra Raiders guy?
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

Baseball
    Football
    Rugby
    Basketball
    Rowing - yeah, I said it

Hockey

I hear you about the diehards. I'd take the NHL over the NBA any day. MLB should be further up...like you have hockey buried. baseball is miles ahead of the other sports as far as league product.

I did crew in college for 3 days. Some chick on my floor was into it and I was trying to get in her pants. she asked me to join and I said yes. The fourth day she came knocking on my door at 430 AM after I had been out til 2. I told her I quit. Fuck that noise
    The Fixer wrote:

Baseball
    Football
    Rugby
    Basketball
    Rowing - yeah, I said it

Hockey

I hear you about the diehards. I'd take the NHL over the NBA any day. MLB should be further up...like you have hockey buried. baseball is miles ahead of the other sports as far as league product.

I did crew in college for 3 days. Some chick on my floor was into it and I was trying to get in her pants. she asked me to join and I said yes. The fourth day she came knocking on my door at 430 AM after I had been out til 2. I told her I quit. Fuck that noise

Yeah, my appreciate for both crew and rugby are out of playing them. Kind of like how a lot of people are with hockey. I rowed all through high school and a year in college. Then I realized I wasn't getting a scholarship so I said F that S, so why not join the rugby team, hit people, and follow that up by getting blind drunk. I was on the Schuylkill every morning at 4:45 am then back out there after school at 4 pm . Still can't believe I did that shit. Seems like a lifetime ago now.

But yeah, MLB is sweet - a perfect balance between players and owners. Only the fans got screwed for a season. :roll:
  • Hockey has pretty much fallen into the die-hards only

In the 90's it kind of peaked in it's poularity then the crappy TV deals they have signed pretty much left the sport to the die-hard fans

You don't find too many casual hockey fans...which is fine by me

Not like other sports where it's cool to be a fan of a team because they are good...hockey has been number one for me since I was kid even though I played more baseball then hockey

I just don't like it when people bad mouth it without knowing shit about it...if you're not a fan that's cool don't watch it. Majority of us on here are fans of all the sports...I don't care for Basketball but the other 3 count me in
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i don't even care. watch it, don't watch it. bad mouth it. hockey is a fun sport to watch. playoff hockey is by far the best playoff season to watch.

however, the as a single game, the superbowl could be more intense.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Hockey has pretty much fallen into the die-hards only

In the 90's it kind of peaked in it's poularity then the crappy TV deals they have signed pretty much left the sport to the die-hard fans

Not like other sports where it's cool to be a fan of a team because they are good...hockey has been number one for me since I was kid even though I played more baseball then hockey

I just don't like it when people bad mouth it without knowing shit about it...if you're not a fan that's cool don't watch it. Majority of us on here are fans of all the sports...I don't care for Basketball but the other 3 count me in

That's the funny thing that I run into with a lot of my buddies - whom are all huuuuge Flyers fans. The biggest way I can piss them off is by rolling my eyes at them, and they just retort with "oh you just don't understand it". I always love that remark, because the thing is Ido understand it.

Just be forewarnded I'll be in here a bit because I like shooting shit with Philly people. :thumbup:
    the litmus test I use for sports is...can I watch non-philly teams play?

baseball - absolutely
    football - only if I have money on the game (which is usually the case)
    hockey - no
    hoops - no fucking way

I think a game 7 in the world series is the most intense sporting event. Every pitch is huge. a game 7 in hockey would be next. then the super bowl, which usually sucks. that's more of an event than a game to look forward to

that game 7 vs boston last year was amazing. one of the craziest philadelphia sporting events I've ever watched
    MLB - rarely
    College football - yes if it's a good game or a bowl game
    NFL - early season, and championship games
    NHL - rarely
    NBA - rarely
    college basetball - only watch the tourney
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The Fixer wrote:
    the litmus test I use for sports is...can I watch non-philly teams play?

baseball - absolutely
    football - only if I have money on the game (which is usually the case)
    hockey - no
    hoops - no fucking way

I think a game 7 in the world series is the most intense sporting event. Every pitch is huge. a game 7 in hockey would be next. then the super bowl

that game 7 vs boston last year was amazing. one of the craziest philadelphia sporting events I've ever watched

Are we talking NBA, or basketball in general? Because the NCAA tournament is one of the greatest sporting events on the planet, even if you don't have any money on the line.

Basketball is the single biggest sport that becomes diluted when money becomes part of the equation. When I lived at 20th and Catherine, I'd go down to the corner of Washington Ave. to watch the tourneys.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Baseball
    Football
    Rugby
    Basketball
    Rowing - yeah, I said it

Hockey

Speaking of Rugby....did you see the Canberra Raiders guy?

The guy with the dog? Yeah. Sick.

Apparently another dude is about to get kicked out of the league for something along the same lines. Crazy shit.

Can't wait till it's on NBC for the World Cup. That's huge. I'm thinking about planning a trip to NZ as a part of my exit from college.
  • Hockey has pretty much fallen into the die-hards only

That's the funny thing that I run into with a lot of my buddies - whom are all huuuuge Flyers fans. The biggest way I can piss them off is by rolling my eyes at them, and they just retort with "oh you just don't understand it". I always love that remark, because the thing is Ido understand it.

Just be forewarnded I'll be in here a bit because I like shooting shit with Philly people. :thumbup:

You're evil

So I will be doing this a lot :roll:

• I'm happy to have the Flyers as our city's next big hope. It's just depressing that the playoffs don't start for another 8 years. :? The NHL is a spectacular product, except for the stupid shootouts (even if it worked out for us last year).

As for watching other teams:
    1- baseball (it's just the best sport ever invented; I even watched that awful World Series)
    2- college hoops (every game is intense, every basket matters, all year long)
    3- NFL (conf championship Sunday is one of the best sports days of the year)
    4- NHL (any playoff game is exciting; reg season I have trouble watching any non-Flyers game)
    5- college football (it can be exciting, but the games are endless and the bowl system is stupid)
    6- NBA (I can't even watch the Sixers - prob the last full NBA game I watched was in 2001, on the bandwagon)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16

You're evil

So I will be doing this a lot :roll:

PP, I don't know whether to be insulted or flattered. :mrgreen:
    6- NBA (I can't even watch the Sixers - prob the last full NBA game I watched was in 2001, on the bandwagon)

i was in town on business that year. seemed like every street corner had sixers tshirts for sale.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:

i was in town on business that year. seemed like every street corner had sixers tshirts for sale.

It was lightning in a bottle. Everyone knew the team sucked and was shocked that they kept winning. Even Croce, with trading for Mutombo, knew it was a one-year thing and they needed to go for it. Definitely one of the biggest fair-weather phenomenons I've witnessed (yes I was pretty guilty).
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    81 wrote:

It was lightning in a bottle. Everyone knew the team sucked and was shocked that they kept winning. Even Croce, with trading for Mutombo, knew it was a one-year thing and they needed to go for it. Definitely one of the biggest fair-weather phenomenons I've witnessed (yes I was pretty guilty).

It's not fair weather as much as how historically bad the Sixers have been since 1986-ish. Harold Katz was the worst thing to happen to that team. Terrible.

Sixers would be huge in this city if it wasn't for the structure of the NBA and the aforementioned owner. There's a lot of heart out there for this team, but they get treated like shit.
  • I watched a few Sixers game on 2001

None since

:lol:;)

I watched a few Sixers game on 2001

None since

:lol:;)

:roll: :mrgreen:
  • I am going to miss tonights game

Hopefully BOB stays HOT !

BOB BOB BOB BOB !!

was expecting the carcilllo rematch with that pollock in the first period. disappointing

Bob = beast
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    The Fixer wrote:
    was expecting the carcilllo rematch with that pollock in the first period. disappointing

Bob = beast
    very ho hum game on both sides

sometimes bounces go your way and sometimes they don't and on this night it wasn't our(isles) way

where the fuck do the flyers find these lighting in a bottle goalies, wow
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    metsfan wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Bob = beast

sometimes bounces go your way and sometimes they don't and on this night it wasn't our(isles) way

Actually the sticks just blow ;)
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    metsfan wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Bob = beast

Actually the sticks just blow ;)
    as do the rag$

:P
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

metsfan wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Bob = beast

the flyers have had plenty of goalies that look great in october/november. bobrovsky looks great so far, he's money post to post. we'll see...long season.

the flyboys look good right now. real good. jir-ooo
  • metsfan wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Bob = beast

Sounds like BOB kept them in it

We have the Isles number over the last few seasons

That's the problem with the Flyers it's lightning in a bottle and never a true number 1

• The Fixer wrote:
    the flyers have had plenty of goalies that look great in october/november. bobrovsky looks great so far, he's money post to post. we'll see...long season.

the flyboys look good right now. real good. jir-ooo

The numbers he put up in the KHL were pretty good considering the team he was on was terrible

He faced a shit load of shots and still had a GAA in the mid 2's and SV% over .920

He's only 21 so he definitely is still growing and learning...but I've seen too many Tommy Soderstrom's

If he works out give Homer credit he's picked up some good prospects without draft picks which he trades away like they're nothing

Bob rules....that is all.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    what time is stevie G scheulded to show up today to tell us the capitals are the greatest thing since the 80's oilers?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    what time is stevie G scheulded to show up today to tell us the capitals are the greatest thing since the 80's oilers?

After last years playoff failure...yet again

He's been living in a Psych ward...no internet there