The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Mike Milbury is fantastic. The last line is phenomenal.

Hockey analyst Mike Milbury apologized Tuesday for critical comments made about Penguins captain Sidney Crosby.

Labeling Crosby "a punk," Milbury, the former NHL coach and general manager, criticized the Pittsburgh center on a Philadelphia radio station on Monday. He called out Crosby for his role in instigating a game-ending brawl in Sunday's contest between the Penguins and Flyers.

"I reached out to (Pittsburgh president) David Morehouse and the Penguins about the comments I made yesterday on Philadelphia radio," Milbury said. "In hindsight, I realize what I said was inappropriate and wrong, and I want to apologize to the Penguins organization and their fans."

Milbury is an analyst on NBC and also appears on CBC. He called Crosby "little goody two shoes" and also referred to "his 35th concussion."

Crosby fired back at Milbury after Pittsburgh's morning skate Tuesday.

"I don't really know what he's looking for," Crosby told ESPNBoston.com. "If he's looking for attention or what? I don't know what it is. I don't have much to say there. I don't know where that came from and you can really twist something a certain way and he's obviously showing he's capable of doing that. He's pretty good at twisting things around, that's for sure."

Crosby also took offense to the "punk" label.

"My style is not different than a lot of guys to be honest," Crosby said. "I think if you're to look at the way I play, when I play the game I play to create offense and to score goals. If you are to dissect everything and show my responses to certain things sometimes, yeah I do certain things out there. But they're usually in response to two or three things that have been done prior to that. But you don't usually see that, you just usually see the response."

Milbury spoke to Sports Radio 94 WIP Monday, a day after the chaotic scene in the waning moments of Philadelphia's 6-4 victory resulted in 52 minutes in penalties being assessed between the two teams.

The fighting was touched off in part by Flyers forward Brayden Schenn's cross-check to Crosby.

"Little goody two shoes (Crosby) goes into the corner and gives a shot to Schenn. Schenn was late to the party, he should have turned around and drilled him right away, but I guess better late than never," Milbury said.

I don't know where that came from and you can really twist something a certain way and he's obviously showing he's capable of doing that. He's pretty good at twisting things around, that's for sure.

-- Penguins captain Sidney Crosby
    on Milbury's comments

"So you know, Crosby gets cross-checked, big whoop. He said after he came back from his 35th concussion, 'I'm not going to do this anymore, I'm not going to get into this scrums, I'm going to stay away from that stuff.' He couldn't help himself because there's a little punk in Crosby.

"He's not the perfect gentleman. He's not the sweet kid you see in interviews with his hat pulled down over his eyes."

Crosby said he never has claimed to be nor does he view himself as a "sweet kid" on the ice and he had no issues with Schenn's cross-check.

"The cross-check that Schenn had, that's really not something that's out of the blue," Crosby said. "That happens pretty much every game to be honest with you and as far as me slashing someone, that's hockey. I guess I'm not a gentleman out there on the ice, I will say that. There are times where it's a contact sport and I do get involved myself sometimes. But I don't think I've gotten one penalty in a scrum since I've been back, so I just want to clarify that because I know that was something that was up for debate."

Crosby denied he's been treated differently since returning from two concussions this season.

"I think it's been pretty much what I experienced prior to getting a concussion," he said. "I've never said or made it be known like I feel like guys are coming after me. Let's be honest, guys aren't going to give me a lot of space out there; they're going to try and knock me off my game. But I think it's been pretty normal as far as what I experienced prior to getting a concussion."

Penguins general manager Ray Shero wasn't amused by Milbury's comments.

"If it was an attempt at comedy, it falls real short," Shero told ESPN.com. "It's fine to have an opinion on players but when you're making light of concussions, that's not right. I've gone through this with my own kid (who had a concussion), obviously we've gone through it as a team with Sidney Crosby and saw what it took for him to battle back from it over the past year; there's nothing funny about post-concussion syndrome.

"I don't think it would have been very funny had he made fun of (concussed Flyers captain) Chris Pronger in that light. There's nothing funny about (former Flyers captain) Keith Primeau having to retire from it."

Concussions in Sports

What is a concussion? What are the various professional sports leagues doing to prevent and treat them? ESPN.com Topics has the breakdown on all concussion-related issues. Topics »

On Monday, Flyers coach Peter Laviolette was fined $10,000 for calling out his coaching counterpart, Pittsburgh's Dan Bylsma, over the incident from bench to bench. Penguins assistant Tony Granato, who stepped on the top of the side boards and in between the two head coaches, also was fined $2,500.

Laviolette was upset the Penguins' fourth line took a shift shortly after Jakub Voracek's empty-net goal concluded the scoring.

During the shift, Penguins forward Joe Vitale leveled Flyers center Danny Briere shortly after the ensuing faceoff, starting off a chain of events that included Crosby's run-in with Schenn, as well as Laviolette smashing a stick over the glass.

"Those guys hadn't been out there in 12 minutes," Laviolette said in his postgame press conference. "It's a gutless move by their coach. It's gutless."

The two teams meet again on Saturday, and likely will face each other in the first round of the Eastern Conference playoffs next week.

"It's not totally uncommon," Milbury said of Laviolette's behavior. "I can remember being on such a perch, or at least trying to climb over the boards to get at somebody to make a point.

"And I thought Dan Bylsma should have taken off his skirt and gone over there."
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Rags haven't swept the season series in over 40yrs

:shock:

Not on my watch !!!

Let's Go Flyers !!!
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    Milbury is always so pissed off its hilarious

:lol:

You see Berube said Crosby and Malkin are the dirtiest players on Pitt

If this continues into the playoffs being down 2-0 every fuckin
    game it's gonna be a short spring

shelly should have done the salute to rupp on the way to the box.
    The Fixer wrote:

He did the salute but Rupper was too dazed to see it

The Fixer wrote:

haha

I know this game doesn't mean anything but this is brutal to watch. the flyers are just waiting for saturday

tortorella is such a dbag
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    :shock:

do i hear a let's go phillies chant from the flyer crowd?
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,791
    4-0?????? WTF???? I hate the Rangers (hopefully we don't face them in the playoffs)
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    white_flag2.gif

The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

haha

I know this game doesn't mean anything but this is brutal to watch. the flyers are just waiting for saturday

I don't know dude it's been this way all year against them

Horrible

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    game is far from over

LET'S KEEP IT CLEAN SKANKS..HARD BUT CLEAN
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    game is far from over

LET'S KEEP IT CLEAN SKANKS..HARD BUT CLEAN

:lol: riiiiiight

This team can't score against the Rags and everything goes in against them

It's a disgrace these teams are not far apart talent wise but you'd never know it

The Fixer wrote:

haha

Horrible

it's not fun to watch, but I really don't think tonight means anything. flyers coming off an emotional game, bryz first game in a while, missing briere and grossman

I'm not worried. I don't really care what happens this week. I just want to see dead penguins on saturday
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

haha

Horrible

it's not fun to watch, but I really don't think tonight means anything. flyers coming off an emotional game, bryz first game in a while, missing briere and grossman

I'm not worried. I don't really care what happens this week. I just want to see dead penguins on saturday

it looks like the flyers are better off 5th ..
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......

no difference between 4 and 5

I think devils could sneak up on someone in round 2 since they get the bye in round 1
    The Fixer wrote:

I think devils could sneak up on someone in round 2 since they get the bye in round 1

agreed
    The Fixer wrote:

agreed

who would you rather draw, dc or buff?? If I were you I think I'd rather play dc, just because miller has ability of stealing some games
    Buff down 3-0 I think they're done

wow. thank god the flyers didn't give leino the money he wanted
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

agreed

who would you rather draw, dc or buff?? If I were you I think I'd rather play dc, just because miller has ability of stealing some games

i never wish for any team..whatever will be will be
    but yes buff has miller
    The Fixer wrote:

wow. thank god the flyers didn't give leino the money he wanted
    That's gotta be one of the best non signings ever

He was on a contract year and gelled great with Briere

Flyers have now been outscored, 23-8, by the Rangers this season.

far from over
    callahan reminds me of michael peca. tough little SOB
    The Fixer wrote:
    callahan reminds me of michael peca. tough little SOB

He needs to drop the gloves to get my respect

;)

far from over

Have they even lost a game when leading after 2 ?

3 PPG given up and 0-4 on the PP

GREAT EFFORT TONIGHT

3-2 Buff coming back

maybe in the playoffs boys....ya never know
    Sickening