Options

O.K. how many people here are pregnant?

Comments

• Options
    pacifierpacifier Posts: 1,009
    I had my first ultrasound yesterday. For the first minute or so it just seemed like I was watching it on tv, but then we saw it move and all of a sudden it was all real. I have a little baby inside of me and it is bouncing around constantly and I can't even feel it. It made a lot of jerky movements like it had the hiccups, but the doctor said that is just how they move at that age. we got to see its heart beating and a gorgeous profile of its face and we even saw it gulping the fluid that surrounds it. I think the doctor was a bit annoyed because most of the time it was facing away from the ultrasound and she needed it to be perfectly side on to get a skin fold measurement on the neck and when it finally turned side on and it started gulping she was just about to measure it but I cracked up laughing at it gulping and my laughing made it turn away again. I think it was stressful for her that the baby wasn't turning the right way but it was great for us because we got to look at our baby for longer. The only thing is she only gave us one photo and it was on a CD, so I don't know why she couldn't have given us a couple more, but the photo she gave us wasn't even one of the really good images that we saw, it is virtually indiistinguishable. but hey, it's baby's first photo.
  • Options
    pretty awesome, isn't it? and just wait, they get better and better.
  • Options
    EddiesGurlEddiesGurl Posts: 166
    genevieve wrote:
    Yeah it took me over a year to get pregnant after being on the pill for 10yrs.
    But both my sister in law and a friend of mine both got pregnant really quick.

i was still taking the pill & somehow magically got pregnant.... i had been on the pill for about 6yrs...
    *~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~*
    Welcome to the world Lucy Michelle!!! 8/11/06 - 4:05pm
    *~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~*

~> Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
  • Options
    I was on two different forms of birth Control (condoms and Yasmin). I guess something really wanted me to have a child.
    I have noticed that an awful lot of us who were using the pill when we got pregnant which I find sorta interesting. Maybe the Pill isnt as good as we had hoped.
    www.myspace.com/quietrhythm
    www.quietrhythm.livejournal.com
  • Options
    I was on two different forms of birth Control (condoms and Yasmin). I guess something really wanted me to have a child.
    I have noticed that an awful lot of us who were using the pill when we got pregnant which I find sorta interesting. Maybe the Pill isnt as good as we had hoped.

i was on that Yasmin birth control too!
    *~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~*
    *~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~*

• Options
    Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    pacifier wrote:
    I had my first ultrasound yesterday. For the first minute or so it just seemed like I was watching it on tv, but then we saw it move and all of a sudden it was all real. I have a little baby inside of me and it is bouncing around constantly and I can't even feel it. It made a lot of jerky movements like it had the hiccups, but the doctor said that is just how they move at that age. we got to see its heart beating and a gorgeous profile of its face and we even saw it gulping the fluid that surrounds it. I think the doctor was a bit annoyed because most of the time it was facing away from the ultrasound and she needed it to be perfectly side on to get a skin fold measurement on the neck and when it finally turned side on and it started gulping she was just about to measure it but I cracked up laughing at it gulping and my laughing made it turn away again. I think it was stressful for her that the baby wasn't turning the right way but it was great for us because we got to look at our baby for longer. The only thing is she only gave us one photo and it was on a CD, so I don't know why she couldn't have given us a couple more, but the photo she gave us wasn't even one of the really good images that we saw, it is virtually indiistinguishable. but hey, it's baby's first photo.

Congratulations on your ultrasound! It is breathtaking the first time you see that little guy/girl hopping around in there! :D Hellfish is right, they just get cooler every time! When do you go for the next one? And how many times will you do them? It's standard over here for there to be only one ultrasound, at 20 weeks, unless you're having complications like high blood pressure or gestational diabetes.
  • Options
    genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    So glad to hear it went well pacifier!

Too bad for the tech that it took longer.
    But who cares thats thier job.
    It better for you anyhoo.
    Babys often try to get away from the ultrasound and dopplers anyway.
    Im sure she will get over it.

Did you go for a 3D one?
    If its just the regular black and white and you get to go for
    another one I really recomend the 3D ones. They are sooo cool.
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • Options
    Hi - new here - not new to the bbs, just to this bbs. I am an oldie from the original bbs...

Anywho - yep - i'm preggo with #2. I'm 3 months along and hoping for a little girl. I have a 21 month old son, the love of my life. He took 6 years to conceive and numerous infertility tests, etc., etc., etc. Then, this one, OOPS! I was not on the pill, hadn't been for about a year and didn't think twice about getting preggo because it took taking clomid for me for my son. But here I am, pregnant. This will be my last one, my tubes will be tied after this one is born. We are both happy and excited, can't wait to meet the new little one!!!!
  • Options
    Hi - new here - not new to the bbs, just to this bbs. I am an oldie from the original bbs...

Anywho - yep - i'm preggo with #2. I'm 3 months along and hoping for a little girl. I have a 21 month old son, the love of my life. He took 6 years to conceive and numerous infertility tests, etc., etc., etc. Then, this one, OOPS! I was not on the pill, hadn't been for about a year and didn't think twice about getting preggo because it took taking clomid for me for my son. But here I am, pregnant. This will be my last one, my tubes will be tied after this one is born. We are both happy and excited, can't wait to meet the new little one!!!!

congratulations and welcome to our thread! :)
  • Options
    Thanks and Thanks!!! Congratulations to all who are expecting. Having a little one is the most amazing gift! I live for the smiles, the belly laughs, the kisses and hugs. Nothing is better than the love of and for a child.
  • Options
    Congratulations on your ultrasound! It is breathtaking the first time you see that little guy/girl hopping around in there! :D Hellfish is right, they just get cooler every time! When do you go for the next one? And how many times will you do them? It's standard over here for there to be only one ultrasound, at 20 weeks, unless you're having complications like high blood pressure or gestational diabetes.

I think it is standard here to have two ultrasounds, one at about 12 weeks (which I just had) to look for the possibility of down syndrome and to date the pregnancy more accurately (along with a blood test) and one at about 20 weeks to look for any physical defects I think and to tell the sex if you want to know.
  • Options
    genevieve wrote:
    Did you go for a 3D one?
    If its just the regular black and white and you get to go for
    another one I really recomend the 3D ones. They are sooo cool.

no, not a 3D one and I doubt the next one will be 3D either. I am using the public health system so I don't really get a choice of these things. But that would be cool.
  • Options

Welcome, I guess you will have to change your user name once the next baby comes along :) I'm also about 3 months along and kind of hoping for a girl, but I wouldn't mind a boy either. This is my first child.
  • Options
    pacifier wrote:
    no, not a 3D one and I doubt the next one will be 3D either. I am using the public health system so I don't really get a choice of these things. But that would be cool.

Around here, you usually have to pay for a 3D at an independent place and they cost quite a bit. Some doctor's offices have them, but most don't yet. I would have loved to do a 3D ultrasound but we didn't want to spend the money. It would be so cool to see her little face, but I'll just have to wait about 8 more weeks. ;)
  • Options
    Around here, you usually have to pay for a 3D at an independent place and they cost quite a bit. Some doctor's offices have them, but most don't yet. I would have loved to do a 3D ultrasound but we didn't want to spend the money. It would be so cool to see her little face, but I'll just have to wait about 8 more weeks. ;)

Normally most medical cost are covered by Medicare here if you use the public system, but this ultrasound wasn't covered, it cost $95 (not 3D). The reason it wasn't covered is because it is not considered necessary because I am not at high risk of having a down syndrome baby, but at the same time my doctor said to do it because it is important and will help date the pregnancy, etc, so we did. I was fine with paying the money because I really wanted to see the ultrasound, but at the same time I think it is a bit odd that it is not really considered necessary enough to be covered by medicare. I'm unsure if the 20 week one is covered or not, but I'm assuming it's not covered either.
  • Options

same here..i wish so bad i could get one of those done!!! but..cant really afford it!! i've got about 15 more weeks to go! ugh! i'm so anxious!
    *~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~*
    *~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~*

• Options
    Maybe they do things different here but I only ever had one ultrasound and that was when I was about 6 months pregnant and it was 3D ultrasound. Thankfully I didnt have to pay for it.
    www.myspace.com/quietrhythm
    www.quietrhythm.livejournal.com
  • Options
    Ok Ladies ~ any of you preggo ladies having weirdo dreams?? Geesh! I do almost every night! And they are just WEIRD!!!

Last nights was good...but strange....i dreamt i was in a local bar here in my small town w/ Pearl Jam playing live. I sat right in front of the stage & when pearl jam came out, Eddie was FAT!!! His face was sooo fat! Double chins & all! He had longer, black hair & was not attractive at all...i still rocked out, but just kept thinking - "geesh..what the heck happened to him?!"...once the show was over, i was able to meet the guys & i gave them all a big hug & they all rubbed my belly & were all nice, and to my suprise - Ed was looking back to normal!! :D hehe...i got their autographs, when it was Stones turn, he was signing his peice of paper & their manager came up & said - 'you guys aren't allowed to do that - i'm sorry miss, i'm going to have to take all those signitures back."...my heart sank & i was like "uhh...no."...Stone smiled & said - "hes just joking"...they all kinda laughed. And that was about it....it was a strange dream...but like i said, good. :)
    *~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~*
    *~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~*

• Options
    I've had many weird dreams since becoming pregnant. More so during the first 5 or 6 months, but I still have some weird ones every once in a while. And they're always more vivid than dreams I have when I'm not pregnant. I can't think of any funny examples right now, but there have been some crazy ones!
  • Options
    All ultrasounds are covered in Canada.
    Even the 3D ones. Except if you want to go to a place that does a whole 3D cd for you.
    I went for a black and white for my 11 week and found a place that did 3D imaging.
    All covered through our health system. One reason Im glad to live in Canada.
  • Options
    EddiesGurl wrote:
    Ok Ladies ~ any of you preggo ladies having weirdo dreams?? Geesh! I do almost every night! And they are just WEIRD!!!

I used to have nightmares a lot, all of my life, but they had disappeared for the most part once I met my partner. Now I'm starting to have them again. Ones that take me a while to figure out that they are not true once I wake up.
  • Options
    genevieve wrote:
    All ultrasounds are covered in Canada.
    Even the 3D ones. Except if you want to go to a place that does a whole 3D cd for you.
    I went for a black and white for my 11 week and found a place that did 3D imaging.
    All covered through our health system. One reason Im glad to live in Canada.

I think that if I was over 35, or had a family history of down syndrome or if I smoked that I may have been covered for my first trimester ultrasound, but because none of that applies to me I am at very low risk of having a down syndrome baby, so I guess they deem the ultrasound as unnecessary for me so I had to pay. Also if I had a low income health care card it may have not cost me anything, I'm not sure.
  • Options

Hello!

You should be able to provide some useful tips to the rest of us.
    Congrats, when are you due? Do you know what you are having?
  • Options
    Had a class and appt yesterday.
    Got to do the lovely Group B Strep swab. Fun times! :D
    Baby is fully dropped. It just has to come out now. 3 weeks.

A woman in my class is gonna self induce this weekend.
    There is some tincture you can get at the herbal store
    and wash it down with some castor oil.

She had a major spike in blood pressure this week and protien in her urine.
    And since she is just over 38 weeks she got the A-OK to try to induce.
    Rather than getting induced with Oxytocin. I wish her good luck.
  • Options
    I had my first class on Thursday night and it was SO nice to be out of the house for something other than an exam! It was fun, and we got a tour of the labor & delivery area. I was thrilled to find out that everyone gets to "room in" with their baby, unless mother or baby has a health issue that would prevent it. Other than that, we just discussed relaxation techniques and massages.

Congrats on your baby dropping!! That's so exciting! Is it any less comfortable now that he/she is so low? And did you drop suddenly or was it a gradual process?

I've heard the castor oil thing can be pretty uncomfortable! How long will they let her wait it out if that doesn't work? Maybe she won't even have to be induced; 38 weeks is pretty close! My mom had all 3 of her babies exactly 17 days before the due date.
  • Options
    I had my first class on Thursday night and it was SO nice to be out of the house for something other than an exam! It was fun, and we got a tour of the labor & delivery area. I was thrilled to find out that everyone gets to "room in" with their baby, unless mother or baby has a health issue that would prevent it. Other than that, we just discussed relaxation techniques and massages.

Congrats on your baby dropping!! That's so exciting! Is it any less comfortable now that he/she is so low? And did you drop suddenly or was it a gradual process?

I've heard the castor oil thing can be pretty uncomfortable! How long will they let her wait it out if that doesn't work? Maybe she won't even have to be induced; 38 weeks is pretty close! My mom had all 3 of her babies exactly 17 days before the due date.

It must have been slow cause I dont recall any big changes from one day to the next.
    Its not any different other than I have noticed in the past couple weeks if
    Im sitting on the edge of the couch I goota have the legs spread. :D
    But I never had a hard time breathing or anything so in that respect alls the same.
    I think shes ok to wait a bit. But the midwives swear by this tincture.
    So she said she was going to go home, take the stuff, go for an ATV ride somewhere bumpy and finish the night off with sex. hehehe

Glad to hear about the rooming in stuff. Do you know your hospitals views on
    shaving the area and enemas and catheters and stuff?

Damn 17 days? I would pop on the 1`st then!!!
  • Options
    More CoffeeMore Coffee Posts: 591
    Well, I've posted in here before and I was going to give you all an update on what is going on in my life. My wife and I went for our ultrasound on the 17th because she is 20 weeks pregant and they detected a SUA condition. A SUA is a single umbilical artery. The umbilical cord should have 3 vessels- two arteries and one vein. The vein carries the blood and oxygen to the fetus for groth and development and the arteries carry away the waste. Only one artery is necessary for the proper development of the baby but a SUA could be a sign that some type of birth defect exists...or it could mean absolutely nothing at all. They are finding this type of condition during pregnancies more often now. If a SUA exists it doesn't mean that a birth defect is present, but in most cases when a birth defect exists an SUA is present. In most cases a SUA condition means absolutely nothing and is considered a variant of normal. The first thing that we did was something we were told not to do and researched the condition on the Internet. It made things worse for us because all of the associated problems discussed were unnerving.

On Friday the 21st we went for a level 2 ultrasound and that scan showed a healthy baby. A level 2 cannot rule out chromosomal disorders 100% but it can significantly narrow down the chances of there being some type of abnormality. I felt very relieved after the scan. It was truly amazing. We had a 4D scan done and actually saw the baby's face and watched him/her move around inside the womb. This is our third child and we've never experienced that type of scan before.

Having a baby can be both a beautiful and frightening experience at the same time. My wife just turned 35 in January so we are basically at the edge of everything now regarding risk. She is scheduled for genetic counseling and an amnio tomorrow. I don't think that it is necessary at this point because like I said, I felt confident on Friday that everything is OK. An amnio will determine whether or not any type of chromosomal anomaly exists, but it poses its own risks with regard to pre-mature labor. After Tuesday she has a fetal EKG scheduled to examine the heart more closely. (sigh) It's all very nerve racking. Both of our children were born pre-term and everything has worked out for us. Both are healthy and were healthy at the time of their deliveries.

My wife has had both a c-section and has delivered normally. The c-section was with our first. Just because a woman has a c-section, that doesn't mean that she has to have one if she has another child. Right now the baby's growth is on schedule and there is a lot of activity and movement inside of her. We are all very excited for our new arrival scheduled for around September 2nd now. Children are amazing and although they will try your patience at times, they will define you as a person. I have learned so much from mine. I want to wish everyone here expecting the very best. We are all extremely lucky. Life is a wonderful thing.
    support The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
    http://giving.chop.edu/site/PageServer?pagename=give_GiveTheGift
  • Options

My wife has had both a c-section and has delivered normally. The c-section was with our first. Just because a woman has a c-section, that doesn't mean that she has to have one if she has another child. Right now the baby's growth is on schedule and there is a lot of activity and movement inside of her. We are all very excited for our new arrival scheduled for around September 2nd now. Children are amazing and although they will try your patience at times, they will define you as a person. I have learned so much from mine. I want to wish everyone here expecting the very best. We are all extremely lucky. Life is a wonderful thing.

I hope all goes well for you guys.
    But that being said I have to say. Ive worked with children with different
    problems and you can do it! But dont worry. Im sure everything will work
    out the way its meant to. Sounds like you guys are old pros!!! :D
    Good luck.
  • Options
    imspinninimspinnin Posts: 933
    EddiesGurl wrote:

Last nights was good...but strange....i dreamt i was in a local bar here in my small town w/ Pearl Jam playing live. I sat right in front of the stage & when pearl jam came out, Eddie was FAT!!! His face was sooo fat! Double chins & all! He had longer, black hair & was not attractive at all...i still rocked out, but just kept thinking - "geesh..what the heck happened to him?!"...once the show was over, i was able to meet the guys & i gave them all a big hug & they all rubbed my belly & were all nice, and to my suprise - Ed was looking back to normal!! :D hehe...i got their autographs, when it was Stones turn, he was signing his peice of paper & their manager came up & said - 'you guys aren't allowed to do that - i'm sorry miss, i'm going to have to take all those signitures back."...my heart sank & i was like "uhh...no."...Stone smiled & said - "hes just joking"...they all kinda laughed. And that was about it....it was a strange dream...but like i said, good. :)
    Ha ha...cool dream!! A Pearl Jam dream is always welcome!!
    thinking of you gals...hang in there..:o
    much love!!;)
    If I could be anything in the world I would be your teardrop...I would be born in your eyes, live on your cheeks, and die on your lips.
  • Options
    More CoffeeMore Coffee Posts: 591
    genevieve wrote:
    I hope all goes well for you guys.
    But that being said I have to say. Ive worked with children with different
    problems and you can do it! But dont worry. Im sure everything will work
    out the way its meant to. Sounds like you guys are old pros!!! :D
    Good luck.

Thanks for the kind words.
    I'm not too worried anymore after Friday's scan. :)
    support The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
    http://giving.chop.edu/site/PageServer?pagename=give_GiveTheGift