Buffalo Sabres

Comments

• Break The SkyBreak The Sky Posts: 1,276
    dirty hit..was shocked he didn't get thrown out

they have all the pressure in the world on them tues night

you have a better goalie(although i will say they made the right move today with the waterboy..for once)

good chance

I said it before the playoffs started and I'll say it again, I don't expect the Sabres to make a run this year and I won't be discouraged when they leave the playoffs because I know better times are on the way with our new owner. For what it's worth, I've had a lot of fun with this series up until now. I will never understand how you can have that much disregard for another human being to do what Richards did. That's not what hockey is about, and I sure as hell wouldn't ever want my child playing a game that encourages that kind of behavior. There's a reason you shake hands at the end of every round, but what does it matter if you're spending the entire series before the handshakes trying to end another player's life?
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Big Drop wrote:

you have a better goalie(although i will say they made the right move today with the waterboy..for once)

good chance

I said it before the playoffs started and I'll say it again, I don't expect the Sabres to make a run this year and I won't be discouraged when they leave the playoffs because I know better times are on the way with our new owner. For what it's worth, I've had a lot of fun with this series up until now. I will never understand how you can have that much disregard for another human being to do what Richards did. That's not what hockey is about, and I sure as hell wouldn't ever want my child playing a game that encourages that kind of behavior. There's a reason you shake hands at the end of every round, but what does it matter if you're spending the entire series before the handshakes trying to end another player's life?

yeathey aren't gonna win the cup..both our teams are a few years away ,but it would be a big experience for the sabs if they pull an upset

sometimes in the heat of the moment you lose your head...no excuse but sadly it happens in the sport

the league needs to really up a suspension for something like that...
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    Big Drop wrote:

good chance

yeathey aren't gonna win the cup..both our teams are a few years away ,but it would be a big experience for the sabs if they pull an upset

sometimes in the heat of the moment you lose your head...no excuse but sadly it happens in the sport

the league needs to really up a suspension for something like that...

One of the only reasons I'm even bitching about it on a thread that maybe two or three people read on the Pearl Jam forums is because I completely expect the league to let Richards off the hook for it. I used to write a blog where I could take my time and compose posts but I had 3rd degree burns on my hand from an accident at work five months ago or so and couldn't type for nearly two and a half months. After that I just sort of gave up on it and I really wish I hadn't because I had a lot of subscribers and it really helped me get my thoughts out of my head in a constructive manner. I think once the season is over I'll start it up again, but until then I need somewhere to bitch otherwise I won't sleep at night.

I've played sports before. Granted the sport I was All-American in (Track and Field) isn't exactly a contact sport, I also played keeper for my high school's soccer team. You get frustrated and get the idea in your head that maybe a guy you're playing against deserves to be injured. I know the idea has gone through my head before. Whether it was a heat of the moment thing or completely premeditated, it still needs to be punished. Richards has a history, both before the series even started and during the series.

Once again, though, I must reiterate that I can't wait to see how Campbell justifies this hit as a "hockey play".
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Big Drop wrote:

Don't let the Richards hit take away from your experience of enjoying the series. Today's game was great. Most of the series has been well played by both teams...except for our goalie roulette. Of course if the roles were reversed I'm not sure how I would be feeling.

At first glance I thought Connolly was acting but he clearly wasn't. It was definitely an illegal/dangerous hit. I doubt he gets suspended but ya never know.
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    Big Drop wrote:

Don't let the Richards hit take away from your experience of enjoying the series. Today's game was great. Most of the series has been well played by both teams...except for our goalie roulette. Of course if the roles were reversed I'm not sure how I would be feeling.

At first glance I thought Connolly was acting but he clearly wasn't. It was definitely an illegal/dangerous hit. I doubt he gets suspended but ya never know.

The guy is made out of glass. I'd be lying to myself if I didn't say it. He's had head injuries in the past and we (Sabres fans) all knew it was only a matter of time until he got another one. It was just stupid what Richards did. I like the fire of this series. I like that I hate Hartnell because I hate him for all the right reasons. . . he talks shit and tries to push our buttons and then complains when we do the same thing to him. Even the Timomen cheap shot on Gerbe after game six. . . no one was injured and it only poured fuel on the fire. As much as I've grown to hate Briere since he left I still respect him because he backs up all of his talking with goals. What Richards did was despicable, but it's not half as despicable as the fact that the league is just going to let it roll.

Richards is a terrible captain, and Laviolette is fooling himself if he thinks that Richards is half that captain that Briere would be.

I want to let you know too that I have a lot of respect for you as a fan. You know your shit about hockey as well as anyone else I've talked to on these boards. It would have been easy to just come and unload on me after what I've written here.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Big Drop wrote:
    Big Drop wrote:

The guy is made out of glass. I'd be lying to myself if I didn't say it. He's had head injuries in the past and we (Sabres fans) all knew it was only a matter of time until he got another one. It was just stupid what Richards did. I like the fire of this series. I like that I hate Hartnell because I hate him for all the right reasons. . . he talks shit and tries to push our buttons and then complains when we do the same thing to him. Even the Timomen cheap shot on Gerbe after game six. . . no one was injured and it only poured fuel on the fire. As much as I've grown to hate Briere since he left I still respect him because he backs up all of his talking with goals. What Richards did was despicable, but it's not half as despicable as the fact that the league is just going to let it roll.

Richards is a terrible captain, and Laviolette is fooling himself if he thinks that Richards is half that captain that Briere would be.

I want to let you know too that I have a lot of respect for you as a fan. You know your shit about hockey as well as anyone else I've talked to on these boards. It would have been easy to just come and unload on me after what I've written here.

I didn't know Connolly was that fragile and had that many issues in his career. Almost sounds like Gagne's career here when he played for the Flyers..the dude couldnt stay healthy.

Briere is turning out to be one of my all time favorite players. For a guy his size and be that productive in the playoffs when space is so hard to come by is just amazing. I just heard after the game that a young Sabre crossed the line (in Briere's words) in what he said to Briere. They said Briere gave a speech to the team about it before the 3rd period and got them all fired up. He should definitely have the "C" I just said today in the Flyers thread Holmgren brought 2 former captains in Pronger and Briere for a reason. I think Richards is still immature and was given the captaincy way too early.

Hartnell is a goof ball..hes one of those guys you love on your team and hate to play against.

I appreciate the respect...you know your stuff as well. It's always a pleasure to talk hockey.
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    I didn't know Connolly was that fragile and had that many issues in his career. Almost sounds like Gagne's career here when he played for the Flyers..the dude couldnt stay healthy.

Briere is turning out to be one of my all time favorite players. For a guy his size and be that productive in the playoffs when space is so hard to come by is just amazing. I just heard after the game that a young Sabre crossed the line (in Briere's words) in what he said to Briere. They said Briere gave a speech to the team about it before the 3rd period and got them all fired up. He should definitely have the "C" I just said today in the Flyers thread Holmgren brought 2 former captains in Pronger and Briere for a reason. I think Richards is still immature and was given the captaincy way too early.

Hartnell is a goof ball..hes one of those guys you love on your team and hate to play against.

I appreciate the respect...you know your stuff as well. It's always a pleasure to talk hockey.

Kaleta. Jerry Sullivan wrote something about it in the Buffalo News. I'd have to imagine that sort of talk happens all the time on the ice, and let's face it, it's kinda what Kaleta is there to do. There aren't any rules in the NHL (yet) about talking about other player's wives. I'm sure Lindy doesn't coach him up on how to be a dick, but he lets Kaleta play his game. I'm sure in most instances it throws other players off their games, but when you're dealing with a veteran like Briere, it's probably not going to work.

Kaleta really isn't just an agitator, you saw him score in game 1. He only gets around 8-10 minutes a game but he's great on the forecheck and is very responsible defensively. He's a hometown boy (from Eden, 15 minutes outside of Buffalo) and has the potential to change the momentum of a game. He's only been suspended once for very stupid headbutt he decided to throw at a player I don't really remember. It's easy not to crucify him because he's on my team, but I can see why everyone else hates him. I like him because he blocks a ton of shots, but the moment he takes a run at a defenseless player I'll be just as hard on him as I am on anyone else on any other team.

It's just really hard to see Briere do so well for the Flyers, because he was such an integral part of this team when he was here. The way he came to be a Sabre was great, too. We pretty much stole him from Phoenix. . . we traded Chris Gratton for him straight up plus an inconsequential pick. Gratton played for Phoenix for two years and scored 19 goals and Briere scored somewhere around 100 goals for us.

Maybe you know something about it since before the Phillies won last year Philadelphia went 24 something years without a championship. We're so sick of being the bridesmaid and never the bride up here. We'd really like to finally win a championship. I really think it's coming soon, but we're just so tired of being piled on by everyone else. It's not just that we lose, it's the way we lose. Hull in the crease, music city miracle, etc. We don't exactly live or die by Tim Connolly, but it's just one more way we will feel we were cheated if we end up losing this series.
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    When i first saw the Richards hit i first thought it was bad but not that bad. I thought that Richards believed that Connelly was going to go turn. however, when i saw the review, i was actually very upset ( i am a Flyers fan) cause i did believe that it was a really dirty hit. I actually was very surprised that Richards was not given a 5 min. major and a game. I personally believed that the hit was worse than the elbow Richard had the game before.

I personally believe that the refs have been really bad this series for both teams. Let hope for a great game 7 and let the best team win.
    We will look adversity straight in the eyes, and we will not blink, but we will smile.

We will persevere, and we will triumph.

We will do this as a team, and we will do this as a city, as a single entity united by our faith.

We will do it for Rico, and we will do it for ourselves.

We believe.

buffalo_sabres_logo-814.gif
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    Big Game Tonight!

Itll be tough and it will have to be one of the grittiest wins in the team's history. A lot of players are out, and some of the guys coming in are likely coming back a little prematurely from previous injuries.

However it turns out, Im proud of this team and very excited about the future under this ownership and with the glut of young players coming up and those already on the team.

Let's Go Buffalo!
    do it for ny ;)
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    what's the little white line under the buffalo and above the sabres? (to the right of the logo)
    i think its the 1970 version of simulating movement
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    MayDay10 wrote:
    i think its the 1970 version of simulating movement

shit I just realized there's one at the top too. never saw that one.

not trying to be a dick, but kinda unnecessary.

I would say good luck but I wouldn't mean it. you guys have been cool this series
    The Fixer wrote:
    what's the little white line under the buffalo and above the sabres? (to the right of the logo)

buffalo charging
  • What better time for this thread to make a glorious comeback? GO SABRES!!!!
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Big Drop wrote:
    GO SABRES!!!!

hey...there is always next year. :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    81 wrote:
    Big Drop wrote:
    GO SABRES!!!!

hey...there is always next year. :P

they need to get rid of gerbe...thay guy does not belong on the ice
    no way. Gerbe is a pain in the ass and he is fearless. His motor is always going 100mph.

I believe they do need to make a trade of some sort and shake up the room. These guys are used to each other, and have this cushy ownership and locker room/club house, etc. Send one or two packing and suddenly it may wake them up.
    Well, might as well bump this thread up.

This wtf team was out of it from November until a week ago... Made it to last in the conference and looked to be a #2 draft choice...

Now if they beat Winnipeg tonight they will be in the #8 spot.

Tough road still and I kind of shut myself off emotionally from this team. I still watch all the games, but I read or surf the internet, etc during them. I dont get upset when they lose.... but I think the wins are going to start to feel good again.
    Tonight is Game 7.

Tied for 8th with Washington. Washington vs Buffalo tonight. Buffalo needs to pull ahead as they lose the tiebreaker with any team (so they would really be 3 points back).
    They had a great 1st round. Apparently they were keyed on Grigorenko the entire time. They suspected he would fall and he did. Ruff had a very long conversation with Patrick Roy that sealed the deal. Grigorenko has tried to put the idea he was going to bolt to the KHL to rest. Seems happy with Buffalo, and wants to wear #89 in tribute to Mogilny.
    Girgensons seems like a monster and was great to trade up for him. Workout junkie and they compare him to Rob Brind 'Amour.
    Both players project to top 2 lines and Grigorenko may be on the team this season.

Drafted numerous big centers. Unfortunately they need them now.
    The Sabres picked up John Scott as a free agent. One of the best fighters in the league, if not the best.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=985bd9nTDGA
    Well, big trade for Buffalo. Finally got rid of Roy. Gained Steve Ott, who is sorely needed. I love the new toughness coming in
    :corn:
    MayDay10 wrote:
    The Sabres picked up John Scott as a free agent. One of the best fighters in the league, if not the best.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=985bd9nTDGA

he cant skate for crap, but will certainly bring some toughness.
    they needed it for sure.

Rumors are they are very involved in the Nash trade talks. They have 9 defenseman, so we will see. I just dont want to see them get rid of Hodgson, Ennis, or Foligno.
    Reports out of Vermont say Girgensons is signing his ELC with Buffalo so he will be out of UV and playing for Rochester or Buffalo.

Apparently he looked great during prospects camp.
    No real news other than Grigorenko probably finishing the season in the QMJHL because they dont want to burn 1 year of his ELC.

McCabe was the captain of USA WJC Gold medal team and scored 2x vs Canada in the semis.

Girgensons may start with Buffalo.

What a draft
    apparently, Grigorenko expected at camp.
    great start to the season vs the dirty flyers.