Buffalo Sabres

Comments

• BUFFALOBUFFALO Posts: 760
    AGHHHHHHHHHHH... Tim connoly hurt again ..my God what is wrong with this guy ..... he just cant get right.... anyway good to see the sabres off to a good start , and hockey back in general....
    Buffalo 96,Barrie 98,Tampa 00,Orlando HOB 03,Buffalo 03,London 05,Hamilton 05 ,Toronto 06,
    MSG 2 08, Buffalo 10, Hamilton 11

Tim Connolly in the press box is so common it doesnt even bother me anymore. Any game he actually plays in is a bonus, because he is a very talented offensive player. However, the Sabres are a complete team and should be a competitor in the East without him
  • RWRW Posts: 97
    It's been so long, but we may have to revive http://www.wehateyourteam.com this season!
  • BUFFALOBUFFALO Posts: 760
    It's been so long, but we may have to revive http://www.wehateyourteam.com this season!

Good Stuff there :)
    Buffalo 96,Barrie 98,Tampa 00,Orlando HOB 03,Buffalo 03,London 05,Hamilton 05 ,Toronto 06,
    MSG 2 08, Buffalo 10, Hamilton 11

It looks like we have a new owner to be announced Thursday Morning

http://www.wgr550.com/Paul-Hamilton--Sa ... me/9086770

This should be a great thing for the Sabres. Terry Pegula will have the deepest pockets in the NHL and reportedly, he is committed to making a splash and creating a championship organization. This is good. He is a former resident and Sabres season ticket holder... and a fan of hockey in general (just threw money at Penn St to start a Div 1 hockey program).

The team has gotten very stale and Sabres fans are sick and tired of the Tim Connollys and Jochen Hechts. The organization has been very mismanaged and stagnant. This is perfect timing because if this continued I think the next step would be a decrease in ticket sales.

Talk is cheap though. We will see if he can walk the walk. Al Davis wants to win championships too. Word is that Pegula is looking for a hockey mind(s) to run the team. That would be important. The rumored guy is Craig Patrick.... who IMO would be one of the best possible guys available.
  • Wow - that was some dormant thread.

No offense, but I have no desire to watch another Flyers-Sabres series. :roll: :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    it took me about a half hour to find it. Didnt realize its been dead since 2008.

Basically its a microcosm of the Sabres. People still buy tickets, and watch all the games.... but people are very bored with the on-ice product.
  • MayDay10 wrote:
    it took me about a half hour to find it. Didnt realize its been dead since 2008.

Basically its a microcosm of the Sabres. People still buy tickets, and watch all the games.... but people are very bored with the on-ice product.

When was that "May Day" goal - 1998 or something?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    it was 1993.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    :lol:

2008...not much has changed with the sabers.

thanks again for Danny boy.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    I miss Briere. I wont lie. I am glad he is being vindicated as THE guy the Sabres should have not let walk. Sabres fans realize that now.

At the time, most people were desperate to keep Drury. A minority of fans (myself included) knew that Briere's talents would be the hardest to replace.

When the Sabres traded for him I was excited. I watched a lot of Phoenix games (as thats where Brad May played) and saw how talented Briere was. He was the long-needed replacement of the talent gap created by losing LaFontaine years ago. I even would often refer to him as "new LaFontaine"

Its tough to replace that kind of creativity and talent. not to mention he is one of the best guys in the league as far as community.

Oh yeah. And he WANTED TO STAY in Buffalo and the dummies who run the team decided to go all-in for Drury who in turn desired to leave to play in the tri-state area or New England.
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    I shook my head at the Coyotes for trading Briere to Buffalo for Gratton.

Back in '07 when I worked for EA's NHL series we were doing a tournament, I picked Buffalo because I liked Drury and Briere, a week later they did their roster update and Drury and Briere were lost to free agency, I thought I was screwed. So I asked our best player if we could do a practice game because I had to face the second best player on the team. He picked Calgary and somehow I beat him 4-2. We were both pretty shocked. I lost the first game because I was used to the slow xbox360 controls and they had me in the PS3 tourny.
  • Pegula becomes the official owner today. It should be interesting to see what happens now.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
    "Starting today, the Buffalo Sabres' reason for existence will be to win the Stanley Cup." -- New Sabres' owner Terry Pegula

"There is no salary cap in the National Hockey League on scouting budgets and player-development budgets," said Pegula.

We will aspire to be the best in the League at finding, developing and keeping our players in their new Buffalo Sabre family."

"Darcy (Regier, GM) will run a hockey department that I have previously said will have no financial mandates," said Pegula. "We're cutting the chains off and he's free to run with whatever he wants to do with scouting, player development, working with Lindy (Ruff, coach) and the coaches. We're going to pour some resources into that area of the team."

"If I want to make some money, I'll go drill a gas well," said Pegula, who became a billionaire in the natural gas market. "We're not in this to save money."

"Winning is not a goal, it is a belief"
  • I think it's safe to say everyone in Buffalo has really high hopes to come for the Sabres.
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    going to Buffalo this Saturday night for the Wings game

woooooooooooooooooooooo
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    MayDay10 wrote:
    "Starting today, the Buffalo Sabres' reason for existence will be to win the Stanley Cup." -- New Sabres' owner Terry Pegula

"There is no salary cap in the National Hockey League on scouting budgets and player-development budgets," said Pegula.

We will aspire to be the best in the League at finding, developing and keeping our players in their new Buffalo Sabre family."

"Darcy (Regier, GM) will run a hockey department that I have previously said will have no financial mandates," said Pegula. "We're cutting the chains off and he's free to run with whatever he wants to do with scouting, player development, working with Lindy (Ruff, coach) and the coaches. We're going to pour some resources into that area of the team."

"If I want to make some money, I'll go drill a gas well," said Pegula, who became a billionaire in the natural gas market. "We're not in this to save money."

"Winning is not a goal, it is a belief"
    very glad to see pegula is committed to winning and very glad to see ruff stay, when i think of the sabers, i think of ruff. i've always wanted to see a isles/sabers game in buffalo seems like a cool hockey town.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

It would have been a colossal mistake to can Ruff (and to a lesser extent Regier). It would have been an easy way to give the angry fans a taste of blood they seek, but he resisted.... which I think is a very good sign.

He said people from other teams told him that he should contact them first if he wanted to get rid of Ruff. This would maybe indicate that there would be a trade for Ruff of some sort. I think that is interesting.

It is uncharted territory here for Buffalo sports. We are used to owners telling us were are too small, must operate in a budget, buy tickets or else, need to pony up public money or else... etc. Unreal that I dont have to fear for the team moving, and no free agent or trade will be considered 'too rich' for the Sabres.

As far as the Isles go. Hopefully they get some 'light' at the end of the tunnel. There is no way in hell the NHL allows them to move with that television deal there (along with the other disasters in the league)
    If you ever hit an Isles game in Buffalo, you can double up and get a game in Toronto too. Even Ottawa and Montreal arent that far of a ride. Detroit is very close too... but they usually arent on the same "circuit" for visiting teams.
  • MayDay10 wrote:
    It would have been a colossal mistake to can Ruff (and to a lesser extent Regier). It would have been an easy way to give the angry fans a taste of blood they seek, but he resisted.... which I think is a very good sign.

He said people from other teams told him that he should contact them first if he wanted to get rid of Ruff. This would maybe indicate that there would be a trade for Ruff of some sort. I think that is interesting.

It is uncharted territory here for Buffalo sports. We are used to owners telling us were are too small, must operate in a budget, buy tickets or else, need to pony up public money or else... etc. Unreal that I dont have to fear for the team moving, and no free agent or trade will be considered 'too rich' for the Sabres.

As far as the Isles go. Hopefully they get some 'light' at the end of the tunnel. There is no way in hell the NHL allows them to move with that television deal there (along with the other disasters in the league)
    If you ever hit an Isles game in Buffalo, you can double up and get a game in Toronto too. Even Ottawa and Montreal arent that far of a ride. Detroit is very close too... but they usually arent on the same "circuit" for visiting teams.

I'm so glad you brought this up. I'm so glad I found this thread. I never get to talk Sabres with anyone that thinks the same way I do. I was ecstatic when I found out that Ruff and Regier were sticking around. I remember Nolan, but not very well. Ruff and Regier have run the show for the majority of my hockey loving life and I would hate to see it end now. I don't think two guys stick around for that long if they're bad at their jobs.

I love the Sabres so much I don't even know how to contain myself with all the excitement this week has brought already. If you ever see my car driving around Buffalo, it's a white Alero with an unforgiving collage of Sabres and Pearl Jam bumper stickers. There are few things that I would like to experience more than the Sabres winning the cup, and I think now that Pegula has taken over I'm inching closer to achieving that goal everyday.
  • metsfan wrote:
    very glad to see pegula is committed to winning and very glad to see ruff stay, when i think of the sabers, i think of ruff. i've always wanted to see a isles/sabers game in buffalo seems like a cool hockey town.

You most certainly should come see a Sabres/Isles game. We're an enormous hockey town but at the same time you can wear your Isles jersey to HSBC and not have to worry about getting your jaw wired like you would in Philly. We're proud but humble, and I think you'd have a really good time. Also, with the Bisons being the new AAA team for the Mets, you might want to come up here sometime during the summer and watch them play. For twelve bucks for the best seat in the house, you can't really go wrong. Buffalo is a beautiful city and contrary to what the rest of the nation likes to think, we have a lot to offer. If you've never seen the falls, standing on Luna Island for the first time is a life changing experience. It's something everyone should do before they die.
  • Rivet was just put on waivers. It looks like the Sabres are trying to free up space to make a move for Colorado's John-Michael Liles. Speculation, but intriguing just the same.
    they already had plenty of cap room and a open roster spot. I think it may be as a respect to Rivet to give him a chance to move on, as well as possibly freeing up the captaincy.

I was a huge Nolan fan and liked Muckler too. I was none too happy with Ruff (wasnt fond of him as a player either) and some Assistant GM from the fail Islanders (Regier) being named GM. They both won me over.
    If Ruff got fired, teams would be ushering their coaches aside to make room for him. His dream is to win a cup in Buffalo. Out of any coach out there, he knows the city of Buffalo and would want it more than anyone. We would never have that again. I also respect the calculated nature of Darcy Regier. He also would have no trouble finding a job. Im interested what he can do without all the parameters and ZERO margin for error, but the jury should be out on him.

Watching the game now. So awesome how charged the city is for this
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Big Drop wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

You most certainly should come see a Sabres/Isles game. We're an enormous hockey town but at the same time you can wear your Isles jersey to HSBC and not have to worry about getting your jaw wired like you would in Philly. We're proud but humble, and I think you'd have a really good time. Also, with the Bisons being the new AAA team for the Mets, you might want to come up here sometime during the summer and watch them play. For twelve bucks for the best seat in the house, you can't really go wrong. Buffalo is a beautiful city and contrary to what the rest of the nation likes to think, we have a lot to offer. If you've never seen the falls, standing on Luna Island for the first time is a life changing experience. It's something everyone should do before they die.
    will def keep this in mind for next season
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• If the Sabres try to lean on a lead like they did tonight in the future, they're not going to make it to the playoffs. Thank goodness Carolina and Toronto lost. Were you at the game, Mayday?
    every single time the Sabres go up 2-0 in the first period at home they end up losing. That 1 point is pretty big though.

The next 2 games are playoff games and the trade deadline is before that. Rumors are Connolly to washington, Niedermayer to Vancouver, and the Sabres possibly making a play for Richards or Stastny (I highly doubt Richards).

I didnt go to the game. I have seasons, but I have been in Philly for most of this Winter.
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    I was at the game, it was awesome, tons of Wings fans there.

Security asked my to open my hoodie to check for ocotopus LOL, that was the first time I ever been asked that for sure.

Buffalo played great in the first period, but then the Wings talent took over and they skated better and the power play's got them going too.

Was awesome to see Hudler come off the bench for the extra bench and Miller kick a save directly to him.

Shoot-out was great as well, will Miller being beat by the same move twice.

Seeing Gerbe and Myers standing side by side is amusing
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • MayDay10 wrote:
    every single time the Sabres go up 2-0 in the first period at home they end up losing. That 1 point is pretty big though.

The next 2 games are playoff games and the trade deadline is before that. Rumors are Connolly to washington, Niedermayer to Vancouver, and the Sabres possibly making a play for Richards or Stastny (I highly doubt Richards).

I didnt go to the game. I have seasons, but I have been in Philly for most of this Winter.

I don't actually want Connolly to be traded. I've hated him for most of his career but I don't think he's playing all that terrible hockey right now. He's worth maybe a fourth at best, I think they might as well just keep him and use him during the playoffs.
  • Break The SkyBreak The Sky Posts: 1,276
    Very happy to see Boyes added. Considering that Versteeg went to Philly for a first and a third and Nashville had to sell the farm to land Fisher, I think that acquiring Boyes for just a second round pick was not only a good move but also frugal.

I am not very happy, however, to see Gerbe sit because of this acquisition. I would much rather see bad Niedermayer ride the pine than Gerbe.
  • Break The SkyBreak The Sky Posts: 1,276
    Extraordinarily happy by the effort put out yesterday against the Fliers. Winning in Philadelphia isn't easy and even though Philly is scoring more, their foundation is still built upon the same set of goons as it has since the 70's. A win tonight against the Wild will put us up into the 8th place spot.

Enroth is confirmed in goal tonight.

Mark Mancari is up from Portland to fill in for Mike Grier. I'm a really big Mancari fan, and I think that the closer to the playoffs we get, the more we will see of him. If he doesn't have a permanent spot on the team by next year, I will be very surprised.
    I always think Mancari isnt bad when they call him up. I think he is better than Adam or Byron at this point. It sucks they have him playing on Niedermayer's line.

Even without Mancari, there is a logjam of wingers they need to address on the offseason and somehow parlay that into a good center.