why is it . . .

124»

Comments

• decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    PJaddicted wrote:
    Speaking of being in ones shoes, this is the one I've had to deal with the most over the last few years, I love it when people who only have little children think they know it all about how to parent....especially about parenting teens....I just :D and think.......just wait, your fun has yet to begin! You can read all about it, and you were a teen yourself...but until you experience it with your own children....you really have no clue as to how you will parent them. My kids are the oldest of all our friends children...so it has been fun watching just how humble everyone becomes when it is their turn! I've never said a word to anyone when they have tried to tell me what I was doing wrong, or what they would do...... now they come to me...and ask for help!

oxc

EXACTLY!
    the same for MANY things...and some things one may NEVER experience and thus will never 'fully' KNOW. that's life.

and jeanie...
    Jeanie wrote:
    So yes, I think sometimes it's really helpful to have people with similar experience to bounce things off but other times you really want to be with someone who's just a good listener and supports you and can offer an unbiased opinion.

i absolutely agree! was never suggesting otherwise! :) it's all about the attitude about it tho...coming off like one 'knows it all'......that was really it.

in the most simplist of terms, as i said earlier...you can describe everything about a blueberry, but if i NEVEr taste it...i will never truly KNOW what it tastes like eh? that's all.

even people with similar experiences totally can be sooo different, but they DO have at least lived the experience. that's it. i can learn, i can be knowledgeable...i can observe....but without living certain things, i just can't *know* it all. it's like guessing what you'd do in a certain situation. it's JUST an educated guess. until IN the situation, can't really know 100%.

and i missed this earlier:
    audiodave wrote:
    I can't possibly imagine who the OP means. Honest.

The thing that really gets to me is when people claim their opinion as fact. I'll admit i'm guilty of going on about stuff i've little experience of. I'm 21, i've little experience of most things. But I always try to make sure it's clear that what i'm saying is my opinion, based on my experiences, or lack thereof. To parade around like what you're saying is the gospel when you can't see past your own blinkered world view just drives me insane.

Another thing that gets to me is selective quoting. If people are having a debate, there are those on here who choose only to see the points that they want to argue with, and completely ignore the ones that shoot them down in flames. It's the equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting "LALALALALA" when someone says something you don't want to hear.

great post!
    and sure, it's NOT all JUST about 'having experience'.....absolutely we all can know and think things without that...it's the 'authority' of an opnion voiced, especially when voiced over and over, that is what gets me. of course, i guess i am doing that in this very thread. :p haha. although, i have said from the get-go...i in NO way mean i am an 'expert' at anything, nor to infringe on others sharing....just discussing what is a bizarre phenomena, at least to me. i just don't think i'll ever *get* it fully.

and your last point..........ggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! sooooo agree! and even beyond that, just toally not READING what you typed. and how do you KNOW they didn't read it? b/c their response is soooo OFF! or i should say they read it, but see what they want to see in it. sure, i guess we're all guilty of reading between/behind the lines...but really, beyond that...it IS good to read the words for what they are too. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    the ones who have few life experiences yet try to come across as experts, in my expreience, do so becasue they are insecure.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    the ones who have few life experiences yet try to come across as experts, in my expreience, do so becasue they are insecure.

nail hit on the head :)
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    right on. and that is a motivation for a lot of things, really.
  • They don't have to be an industry expert, they just have to know more than you do.

Which is why god created the reply feature on message boards...
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    Jeanie wrote:
    Well even with people sharing an identical experience their interpretation of said experience will vary. You've only got to look at eye witness statements to see just how much they can vary! :D I think perhaps even if you've not experienced something that someone is talking about there still may be elements of the situation that resonate and could apply to your own experience. It's possible depending on how you interpret and communicate you could offer something very helpful to a person. That's the beauty of communication and connection it's as individual as the individuals involved and the circumstances. I've noticed myself that even on some very dark days, others that haven't experienced what I am going through can offer some really amazing help simply by being more detached from the situation than me. I've come to trust in those people and welcome their counsel because it has proven to be such a blessing. The support they give, the hand holding, the shoulder to cry on, well those things are invaluable. I don't know dream, I suppose I've been referred to support groups on numerous occasions but I'm really not comfortable seeing others suffer the same as me. I guess you can't undo what you know if that makes sense? So yes, I think sometimes it's really helpful to have people with similar experience to bounce things off but other times you really want to be with someone who's just a good listener and supports you and can offer an unbiased opinion. :)
    Lovely post Jeanie :o

Also, I love the way some people here are experts on why some people think they are experts on certain things without experiencing it ;) Until you're in MY shoes or somebody elses shoes, you really don't know what we know or how we know it. I would never make little of somebody elses opinion. I would take their advice but to say 'how would you know? You've never experienced it' is EXTREMELY patronising and a lazy way of getting your point across... and it's something I've stopped myself from saying on several occasions FOR that reason! There is a thread on British weather right now... I don't live in Britain but we have similar weather... and ya know what... I'm gonna post in it :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    They don't have to be an industry expert, they just have to know more than you do.

Which is why god created the reply feature on message boards...

and how would they know they know more than me? ;)

i REALLY would love to know WHERE people get the notion that i am suggesting the ONLY people who post on a given topic BE an 'expert'....? seriously?

first post:
    seem anyway...that those with the least life *experience* of certain things so often come off as the *experts* on a given topic? spewing opinion after opinion like an 'authority' on a given topic or simply feel the need to espouse their thoughts/beliefs on a subject they know little to none about? or, when someone poses a question to a specific demographic, 90% of the respondents seem to be NOT the demographic questioned? :p

is it some sort of bizarre twist of human nature? is it the internet? :D and no, i am in NO way saying those with little to no experience or who were not directly asked to participate NOT do so - all ARe entitled to their opinions and to SHARE them, of COURSE - but i think it's a weird phenomena at best. :)

just curious....

what exactly there says ANYthing that one needs 'qualifications' to post? it was a QUESTION as to WHy you might think someone with little to no experience MAY comment LIKE they are 'experts'......that was all.

yes, i was focusing on 'real-life experience'...but ya know, that WOULD include education on a given topic and/or observations to some degree. besides which...i said it seems.....meaning it is obviously MY personal pov, not saying it's an expert pov at all. ;) sheesh.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    seem anyway...that those with the least life *experience* of certain things so often come off as the *experts* on a given topic? spewing opinion after opinion like an 'authority' on a given topic or simply feel the need to espouse their thoughts/beliefs on a subject they know little to none about? or, when someone poses a question to a specific demographic, 90% of the respondents seem to be NOT the demographic questioned? :p

is it some sort of bizarre twist of human nature? is it the internet? :D and no, i am in NO way saying those with little to no experience or who were not directly asked to participate NOT do so - all ARe entitled to their opinions and to SHARE them, of COURSE - but i think it's a weird phenomena at best. :)

just curious....

yeah people are strange ;)
  • norm wrote:

just curious....

yeah people are strange ;)

insanity - doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results. ;)
    what can i say, i felt like some online fun on a tuesday night. :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    its like all those non-parents out there telling parents how to raise their kids... its like getting fashion tips from an american... or sex tips from an irish person... or tip tips from a scottish person... etc. :thumbup:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • dunkman wrote:
    its like all those non-parents out there telling parents how to raise their kids... its like getting fashion tips from an american... or sex tips from an irish person... or tip tips from a scottish person... etc. :thumbup:

"Ironic"

An old man turned ninety-eight
    He won the lottery and died the next day
    It's a black fly in your Chardonnay
    It's a death row pardon two minutes too late
    And isn't it ironic... don't you think

It's like rain on your wedding day
    It's a free ride when you've already paid
    It's the good advice that you just didn't take
    Who would've thought... it figures

Mr. Play It Safe was afraid to fly
    He packed his suitcase and kissed his kids goodbye
    He waited his whole damn life to take that flight
    And as the plane crashed down he thought
    "Well isn't this nice..."

Well life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
    When you think everything's okay and everything's going right
    And life has a funny way of helping you out when
    You think everything's gone wrong and everything blows up
    In your face

A traffic jam when you're already late
    A no-smoking sign on your cigarette break
    It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife
    It's meeting the man of my dreams
    And then meeting his beautiful wife
    And isn't it ironic...don't you think
    A little too ironic...and, yeah, I really do think...

Life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
    Life has a funny, funny way of helping you out
    Helping you out

:mrgreen:

and i know, none of that is really 'ironic'..but just work with me here...;)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    dunkman wrote:

"Ironic"

In your face

Helping you out

i see your ironic and raise you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT1TVSTkAXg

;) :thumbup:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • dunkman wrote:

i'll have to check that out later.
    bit too early in the workday to be checking out youtube. :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    dunkman wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

"Ironic"

In your face

Helping you out

That's funny..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,810
    time to lock the thread when alanis is being quoted :lol:;)
  • -Buru--Buru- Posts: 1,292
    dunkman wrote:

that is fantastic!! :lol::lol:
    I am just a dreamer, but you are just a dream...
    If I knew where it was I would take you there.

• OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240

just curious....

WHAT EVER YOU DO, DON'T GO INTO "A MOVING TRAIN"!

Hers my view:

People without expereince: can formulate a reasonable explaination on something because they just don't see or know what the reality is, or whats involved.

People with experience: were once people with out experience and know that their opinion didn't survive first contact with reality.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • And this, ladies and gentlemen, is how Internet cliques are formed.
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I know a little about everything..jack of all trades, master of nothing! :P
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    libragirl wrote:
    I know a little about everything..jack of all trades, master of nothing! :P
    very attractive :P
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    What is up with all these old threads being brought out of hiding??

People are stupid ... except of course you
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    tinkerbell wrote:
    What is up with all these old threads being brought out of hiding??

People are stupid ... except of course you

you don't like old threads?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    dunkman wrote:
    74% of my posts are just me goofing around on here... the other 41% are me lecturing people about Maths...

in relation to your topic, i think my only annoyance is when people post a thread which is actually entitled "Parents: any ideas?" and then 84% of the people in it are actually non-parents telling that threadstarter to smack his kids and feed them compost... and yes the other 39% of them are parents... the last 4% is me lecturing about Maths... probably.
    :lol:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    GTD was epic in this thread. i feel bad bumping this on the account of GTD really did have problems, but damn these were fun times.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?