why is it . . .

Comments

• Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    white 20 somethings gotta do something with their useless liberal arts degrees :D
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • sgossard3 wrote:
    white 20 somethings gotta do something with their useless liberal arts degrees :D

Hey! :mad:

Well... you're spot on... but still. :D
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
    Hey! :mad:

Well... you're spot on... but still. :D
    painting major here... dont take offense :p

• senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    but you don't say much either. ;)

Yeah, kinda like Forest Gump. I just stop and think....people run up and say...."HEY! I think he's about to say something!"....and they focus intently.
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    sgossard3 wrote:

Shit, if I were you I'd run :D
    Oh hang on
    *looks through currently on line list*
    You may be alright :D
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • sgossard3 wrote:
    painting major here... dont take offense :p

Oh, believe me, I hear a lot worse from my friend who studies Biological Sciences. Each and every day.

What a bastard.:p
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
    Oh, believe me, I hear a lot worse from my friend who studies Biological Sciences. Each and every day.

What a bastard.:p
    i dated a med student for awhile... it was destined to fail

drunk dials on school nights arent funny when you have real classes the next day

• decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    sgossard3 wrote:

:D

thank bejeebus i got a BFA and MA then eh? ;)
    oh, and WELL in my 30s too...haha.
    so i still can post here from work with the lot of you!

Get_Right wrote:
    It is the internet that has made it worse, but intellectual posturing has been around for ages, trust me. I know all about it. ;)

well played........
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• sgossard3 wrote:
    i dated a med student for awhile... it was destined to fail

drunk dials on school nights arent funny when you have real classes the next day

What the fuck are "real classes"? :D
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    I can't possibly imagine who the OP means. Honest.

The thing that really gets to me is when people claim their opinion as fact. I'll admit i'm guilty of going on about stuff i've little experience of. I'm 21, i've little experience of most things. But I always try to make sure it's clear that what i'm saying is my opinion, based on my experiences, or lack thereof. To parade around like what you're saying is the gospel when you can't see past your own blinkered world view just drives me insane.

Another thing that gets to me is selective quoting. If people are having a debate, there are those on here who choose only to see the points that they want to argue with, and completely ignore the ones that shoot them down in flames. It's the equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting "LALALALALA" when someone says something you don't want to hear.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    sgossard3 wrote:

HEY! I'm in my 30's...

Would you like fries with that?
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    audiodave wrote:
    The thing that really gets to me is when people claim their opinion as fact. I'll admit i'm guilty of going on about stuff i've little experience of. I'm 21, i've little experience of most things. But I always try to make sure it's clear that what i'm saying is my opinion, based on my experiences, or lack thereof. To parade around like what you're saying is the gospel when you can't see past your own blinkered world view just drives me insane.

Another thing that gets to me is selective quoting. If people are having a debate, there are those on here who choose only to see the points that they want to argue with, and completely ignore the ones that shoot them down in flames. It's the equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting "LALALALALA" when someone says something you don't want to hear.

took the words outa my mouth.

altho i do have a few of my own to add! :) - im 22 - i *usually* dont get drawn into bickering/nitpicky debates - in general i think most of the posters here are great people - young and old - and there are some genuine pearls of wisdom on this board everyday.

i love readings people's good posts, even if its just one opinion that isnt referred to again afterwards, some of them are truly striking. also my peers arent parents/married so its a nice insight into that....all of that education transcends the shite posts the OP mentions :)
  • Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    sgossard3 wrote:

lol! So true! :D
  • celebrationcelebration Posts: 318
    Opinions are like a**holes. Everyone's got one.

I have my opinion(s) and usually I'm always right ;)

However if I don't know something I'll be the first to admit it...but that's just me.
    ########################
    Celebration, the ball's in play
  • OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    I don't understand whats going on here?
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • I don't understand whats going on here?

The fact that you admitted it means it doesn't apply to you, so you're in the clear. ;)
    No.....I really don't
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
    Oh I know

"Why is it.........every time I pick my nose, its full again in five minutes? Funk that".
    -Beavis
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    how do you know certain individuals aren't experts or know little or nothing about a subject:?

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Interesting question dream. :)

I dunno, it's so hard to remember back to being young and bulletproof with a fully formed opinion on everything and no clue really. :D Guess the older I've got the more I know I don't know. :p

I think smart arses come in any age group.

I know some exceptionally smart and emotionally developed people that are young enough to be my kids and I know folks old enough to be grandparents that are completely emotionally bankrupt and incapable of communicating effectively or intelligently and still think they're experts. So my guess is people perhaps do what they know until they know better and some people will never know better but I know to disregard them. :p:)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • spongersponger Posts: 3,159
    When I was in the 6th grade I had a teacher who was pretty much the teacher from Pink Floyd's "The Wall".

I mean he was a real sadist in every sense of the word. He would occasionally start picking on a student in front of the whole class until that student would start to cry.

He would just belittle and belittle continuously as the whole entire class looked on. He would start out just simply nit-picking about a rule that the student had broken or a homework assignment that the student had forgotten to do, and then from there he'd start railing like you wouldn't believe. It was merciless.

Needless to say, every single one of us feared and hated him. I was a straight A student and had always liked my teachers, and he was the first and only teacher before college that I would seriously would like to have seen fed to a group of hungry lions.

Even my Dad, to whom I had never mentioned my teacher's behavior, told me that right off the bat he could sense that this teacher was a real fucking asshole. Apparently my dad showed up for a customary parent-teacher conference right after work, and so he was still wearing his camouflage uniform.

My teacher went, "Ooooh...a military man," in a real sarcastic, fucked up kind of way.

But, as a child in the 6th grade, it just isn't easy to put into words why I felt my teacher should be reprimanded for unprofessionalism.

And from that point forward, I made it my mission in life to learn the english language so well and so thoroughly, and to observe the principles of a rhetorical stance so intricately, that I would never, ever get caught in a position where I was being subjected to unfair circumstances for lack of my ability to assert myself in a way that would achieve results.

And the moral of my story is that we all have to deal with situations that frustrate us, but it is up to us to assert ourselves in a way that effectively resolves whatever it is that needs addressing.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    74% of my posts are just me goofing around on here... the other 41% are me lecturing people about Maths...

in relation to your topic, i think my only annoyance is when people post a thread which is actually entitled "Parents: any ideas?" and then 84% of the people in it are actually non-parents telling that threadstarter to smack his kids and feed them compost... and yes the other 39% of them are parents... the last 4% is me lecturing about Maths... probably.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    I agree with you d2d :) however, I think EVERYBODY'S opinion on life and how to live it is valid to somebody. We may disagree... you may say 'you don't have kids so your opinion is therefore null and void' but I WAS a kid once :D . I've worked with kids... I have a niece and nephew whose parents trust me with them, possibly more than anyone else. I KNOW plenty of parents and listen to their experiences. So... that is one example of where someone might think I've no entitlement to an opinion... but their kids are the future of MY world... so, while it's still just an opinion, I'm certainly entitled to voice it :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
    I agree with you d2d :) however, I think EVERYBODY'S opinion on life and how to live it is valid to somebody. We may disagree... you may say 'you don't have kids so your opinion is therefore null and void' but I WAS a kid once :D . I've worked with kids... I have a niece and nephew whose parents trust me with them, possibly more than anyone else. I KNOW plenty of parents and listen to their experiences. So... that is one example of where someone might think I've no entitlement to an opinion... but their kids are the future of MY world... so, while it's still just an opinion, I'm certainly entitled to voice it :)

i agree.
    i also NEVEr said such opinions aren't desired...nor valid. however, bottomline....IMHO...some things HAVE to be experienced firsthand to truly KNOW what it's about....and yes, i think long-term relationships...having children.....both fit in those categories. absolutely LOTs of valid perspectives from different people with ALL levels of experience, but yes...sometimes actually HAVING the time/experience makes a WORLD of difference. it's like addicts, we may identify to some degree....but never fully 'know' what it's like. i think the same for being in marriage 10+ years....or getting divorced.....having a kid.....being an alcoholic, etc, etc.

so yes, for ME...i just dislike when people who obviously have little to NO experience with a particular life event, no real 'knowledge'....no real first-hand experience, and yet they come across as *experts*...on the topic, or many topics.

btw - this in NO way is meant to be ageist at all, it's not about AGE. there are 15 year olds who are addicts....or who have children.....two things i will never fully 'know' about....and they most definitely will have FAr more experience/advice to offer. but yes, if a 20-something who hasn't been in a relationship longer than 6 months chooses to 'lecture' on HOW relationships should be, what marriage should be about, what they would/won't 'tolerate'....or how too many are cavalier with their relationships/marriages...sure, a valid opinion...but yea.......tis a BIG difference hearing opinions from those who ARE or HAVE BEEN *there*...ya know? that's all......

i am all for book learning, observing, knowing people, listening and absorbing, etc....all valid and important ways of gaining knowledge. but again, imo only.....for certain things, there is NOTHING like first-hand life experience to fully KNOW something.

you can describe to me the taste of a blueberry...i can see pictures....i can touch em...i can smell them.....but without tasting it myself, i will never fully know what they taste like otherwise.

i think the very same holds true for many things in life...........
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

dunkman wrote:
    74% of my posts are just me goofing around on here... the other 41% are me lecturing people about Maths...

in relation to your topic, i think my only annoyance is when people post a thread which is actually entitled "Parents: any ideas?" and then 84% of the people in it are actually non-parents telling that threadstarter to smack his kids and feed them compost... and yes the other 39% of them are parents... the last 4% is me lecturing about Maths... probably.

i agree.
    i can think of a few topics such as that.....

if you're divorced, raise your hand
    ladies, i need advice
    guys, what do you think

etc

then you open the thread and more often than not.....the people posting, 75% of the posts are NOT the desired demographic. i was referring to such, and other things too ;)...in my first post. again, i am NOT saying these people don't have a *right* to post......sure....i just think it's kinda bizarre? how that seems to happen, again and again.

it would be like me posting in the musicians and gearheads forum about some gear i know little to nothing about when the OP requested people who DO have experience to share their opinions and/or advice. sure, it's my *right* to post wherever....but yes, i just don't *get* it....eh well.......

it's a bizarre little world, this internet community........;)

btw - i am ALL for EVERYone sharing their opinions...i just personally dislike when those with little to no first-hand experience dominate a given topic and/or come off as *experts*...that's all. and hey, i am no authority...not trying to enforce 'rules' or any such shite...i'm just sharing here......:p as i say often enough: agree, disagree...c'est la vie......;)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

Jeanie wrote:
    Interesting question dream.

I dunno, it's so hard to remember back to being young and bulletproof with a fully formed opinion on everything and no clue really. Guess the older I've got the more I know I don't know.

I think smart arses come in any age group.

I know some exceptionally smart and emotionally developed people that are young enough to be my kids and I know folks old enough to be grandparents that are completely emotionally bankrupt and incapable of communicating effectively or intelligently and still think they're experts. So my guess is people perhaps do what they know until they know better and some people will never know better but I know to disregard them. :p

jeanie...thank you. :)

i LOVE this post.
    :D

and it ain't just 'young and bulletproff'...hahaha......but sure, i think that does come into play. haha.

and the young
    they cannot see beyond...today
    the wisdom the old can't give away

again tho, don't want to make this 'ageist'...b/c really that is NOT what it's about. there could be a 50 year old on here, no long-term relationships...no kids....no experience with LOTs of things, and still be the personality to *lecture* us/others on HOW 'things should be'...how to live our lives, conduct our relationships, raise children, etc. and sure...well within their 'rights' to say as they please. i just also reserve the right to find it annoying. ;)

just like i take no issue with those who find my long posts annoying. :D it's all good.

brainofPJ wrote:
    how do you know certain individuals aren't experts or know little or nothing about a subject:?

obviously, i can't know for EVERYthing, but for certain subjects...it's kinda obvious. if a person asks 'who has been divorced'....and then a bunch of 22 year olds, never married all post...kinda know they're not *experts* eh? even if they are children of divorce, they do not have first-hand knowledge of what it is like to BE divorced. it's a different perspective. just one example. dunky's example of people looking for advice from PARENTS, and then those who are NOT parents, even with LOTS of life experience with children....still not quite the same as BEING a parent. also, usually, if someone DOES possess some expertise, they usually will say something like....oh i have studied X for X amount of years......or i have lived like that, etc, etc. again, dosn't make them *expert* necessarily......but it does give em a bit *more*...than someone who admits they have no experience at all, no? sorry, i just don't think a single 20 year old can really be an *expert* on what it's LIKE to be married for 20 years. EVEN if said 20 year old is in the midst of psych study of such a topic....just sayin'. i cannot know what it's like to lose a child, to give birth, to be an alcoholic, etc, etc...i have NO life experience. do i know people who have lost a child, given birth, are alcoholics, lost spouses, etc? sure. but that doesn't make me an *expert*...that's all.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    again tho, don't want to make this 'ageist'...b/c really that is NOT what it's about. there could be a 50 year old on here, no long-term relationships...no kids....no experience with LOTs of things, and still be the personality to *lecture* us/others on HOW 'things should be'...how to live our lives, conduct our relationships, raise children, etc. and sure...well within their 'rights' to say as they please. i just also reserve the right to find it annoying. ;)

just like i take no issue with those who find my long posts annoying. :D it's all good.

Ask me whatever. I know everything.
  • comebackwomancomebackwoman Posts: 7,271
    I think it's possible to relate to someone else's experience even if you haven't experienced something similar yourself, as long as you give the other person the the opportunity to tell you what the experience was like for them...and then you can pull upon similar emotions/reactions/etc that you have had in other situations to develop an understanding. You will never really *know* what it was like for them...but you can absolutely relate and empathize.

Likewise, I think 2 people could have very similar experiences (going through a divorce/being an addict/losing a child) and your experience is going to still be very different from the other person's because there are so many other factors that affect these situations and the way they effect us...so again...even if you've gone through it yourself, you'll never really *know* what it was like for someone else, although you certainly may have a bit more insight, etc. My mother and I have both gone through divorces...our experiences of these situations could not be more different...we can both relate to some of the elements, but on others we are worlds apart.

I agree - all opinions are welcome...a lot of times they give me an opportunity to think about something in a way I haven't considered...and I'm always open to hearing other people's perspectives...it helps me understand them and the world better....but yeah...when it comes off as the *only* way or the way it *should* be done then it's really annoying. It's also interesting to note that some people who are the first to come off as an *expert* are also quick to dismiss everyone else's advice and opinions when offered.
    There's a light when my baby's in my arms :)
  • GreenTeaDiseaseGreenTeaDisease Posts: 3,359
    btw - this in NO way is meant to be ageist at all, it's not about AGE. there are 15 year olds who are addicts....or who have children.....two things i will never fully 'know' about....and they most definitely will have FAr more experience/advice to offer. but yes, if a 20-something who hasn't been in a relationship longer than 6 months chooses to 'lecture' on HOW relationships should be, what marriage should be about, what they would/won't 'tolerate'....or how too many are cavalier with their relationships/marriages...sure, a valid opinion...but yea.......tis a BIG difference hearing opinions from those who ARE or HAVE BEEN *there*...ya know? that's all......

come off f-ing off it, D2D.

You know what really annoys me? People who think that they have the right to determine the validity of another's opinion and think that they have the right to restrict who responds to posts in a public message board. Seeing as how this entire forum has become about marriage and parenting (lame!), under your rules, oh Great Righteous Leader, no one else would ever be allowed to post.

By the way, Your Holiness, I am 30, and I have been in several romantic relationships, probably a lot more than you, and yes, they have been longer than six-months, [insert name calling]. And let's see, hmm, I also LIVE ON THIS PLANET and have the same experiences as anyone else. Furthermore, I have NEVER ONCE purported to be an "expert" on anything. And guess what? NEITHER ARE YOU. Just because one is married does not make them an expert on marriage, sorry to pop your little bubble. In a legal sense, an expert usually has a PhD on the topic and over 10 years experience. Therefore, if we all follow Your Holiness' rules here that only "experts" can post, then we'd have about 2 threads going with no responses. GET OVER IT- my opinion is as valid as your's. And you know what???? It's an f-ing message board. We're killing time here...WHY DO YOU EVEN CARE???

D2D, you are literally THE MOST CONDESCENDING person I have ever come in contact with, and I work with people who were professors at both harvard and MIT.