Options

Boston Bruins

Comments

• Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Has a major sports city were won the World Series, Super Bowl, NBA Finals and Stanley Cup all in one DECADE?

This would be an incredible accomplishment if the Bruins can win it all.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    LongRd. wrote:
    Has a major sports city were won the World Series, Super Bowl, NBA Finals and Stanley Cup all in one DECADE?

Well the choices are limited for major cities with ALL 4:

Boston
    Chicago
    NY
    NJ?
    Pheonix
    Minnesota
    Detriot
    Atlanta
    Philly
    Washington
    Pittsburgh

I think that's all that has the 4 major sports teams.

A
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    BeerBaron wrote:
    I think Dallas should be in there too (Cowboys, Mavs, Stars, Rangers). Arlington is basically Dallas. Miami should be in there too (Dolphins, Panthers, Marlins, Heat)

Yup I thought of those cities too but I figured someone else would pitch in and correctly post it as you have.

Oh at one time this was a correct trivia question it may have changed since: Of those teams listed which one was the only city that had an arena/stadium built for EACH of their major sport team?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    BeerBaron wrote:
    Also, I don't think Pittsburgh belongs on the list ... no basketball team ...

Right a swing and a miss locked in from a hockey point of view.

Peace

• Options
    BeerBaron wrote:
    Detroit?

Is that for the trivia question or are you NOT qualifying their football team. :)

THe answer was Pheonix but yes Detriot now counts I gather.

Peace

• Options
    LongRd. wrote:

g under p wrote:
    Well the choices are limited for major cities with ALL 4:

Boston
    Chicago
    NY
    NJ?
    Pheonix
    Minnesota
    Detriot
    Atlanta
    Philly
    Washington
    Pittsburgh

I think that's all that has the 4 major sports teams.

A
    BeerBaron wrote:
    I think Dallas should be in there too (Cowboys, Mavs, Stars, Rangers). Arlington is basically Dallas. Miami should be in there too (Dolphins, Panthers, Marlins, Heat)
    You can cross out Dallas, Phoenix, Miami, Minnesota, and Detriot. ;)

I think New York won all 4 major titles in the 70's. Knicks got a couple of titles then, the Islanders won a couple Stanley Cups too(I think), Yankees definitely won some WS titles. And I think Namath and the Jets won their only Super Bowl.

But then again, they have 2 teams in the same sport so it'll be easier for them. :p

Oh did the Flyers ever won a Stanley Cup in the 80's? if so then Philly would gotten all 4 titles that decade with 6ers, Eagles and Phillies.
  • Options
    LongRd. wrote:
    You can cross out Dallas, Phoenix, Miami, Minnesota, and Detriot. ;)

I think New York won all 4 major titles in the 70's. Knicks got a couple of titles then, the Islanders won a couple Stanley Cups too(I think), Yankees definitely won some WS titles. And I think Namath and the Jets won their only Super Bowl.

But then again, they have 2 teams in the same sport so it'll be easier for them. :p

Oh did the Flyers ever won a Stanley Cup in the 80's? if so then Philly would gotten all 4 titles that decade with 6ers, Eagles and Phillies.

I think the Jets won their SB in the 60's and for Philly are you speaking of World Championships or division titles?

The Eagles have never won a title in the 80's however ALL 4 were in championship games in 1980 I believe.

Peace

• Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    I am not reading any of the posts in here as I'm watching the Bruins in 2 right now on NESN, which I do get on DirecTV ... at least they don't black that out ...

I see this thread keep getting bumped ... want to read, but can't ...

1-1 now in the 3rd ... the Kessel/Savard line has played most of the game in the TB zone ...

anyway ... see y'all in a half hour.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    note .... Krejci just scored a SICK short handed goal ... glad I didn't miss that!

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    note .... Krejci just scored a SICK short handed goal ... glad I didn't miss that!

I'm glad you didn't read the previous page cause I gave the score up over there.

Peace

• Options
    g under p wrote:
    I'm glad you didn't read the previous page cause I gave the score up over there.

Peace

empty netter, B's win 3-1 ... 12-1-1 in their last 14 ... yikes!

• Options
    one city that you did not mention att all in your "all 4 titles in a decade" question that came very VERY close ... Los Angeles ...

The Raiders won the superbowl in the 83 season in Los Angeles.

The Dodgers won the '88 series over the A's

the Lakers won a few Champioships at the end of the 80s

And then, the Kings, who, did actually make the finals in the 92/93 season ... but lost ... (and at some point, Rygar will come in here and tell you whom they lost to)

• Options
    g under p wrote:
    I think the Jets won their SB in the 60's and for Philly are you speaking of World Championships or division titles?

The Eagles have never won a title in the 80's however ALL 4 were in championship games in 1980 I believe.

Peace
    Oh, my mistake. I looked the Eagles' history- lost in the Super Bowl in 1980. Must have mistaken them for the Phillies' WS win that year...
    jimed14 wrote:
    one city that you did not mention att all in your "all 4 titles in a decade" question that came very VERY close ... Los Angeles ...

The Raiders won the superbowl in the 83 season in Los Angeles.

The Dodgers won the '88 series over the A's

the Lakers won a few Champioships at the end of the 80s

And then, the Kings, who, did actually make the finals in the 92/93 season ... but lost ... (and at some point, Rygar will come in here and tell you whom they lost to)
    maybe no city has ever done that...
    if the Bruins can do it, that'll just be awesome.

oh yeah, Magic and Kareem got 5 rings with the Lakers---2 came in the hands of Bird & the Celtics. :(
  • Options
    The Ice Sheet: The Bruins are Back, Thanks to the Thornton Trade and yes the Boys Are Back In BeanTown.

Peace

• Options
    g under p wrote:
    The Ice Sheet: The Bruins are Back, Thanks to the Thornton Trade and yes the Boys Are Back In BeanTown.

Peace

Well, the only thing it did do was force the B's to fire Mike O'Connell, which, was a good thing ...but, it's really tough to swallow the notion that trading Joe was a good thing. If they felt the need to trade him, there had to be teams out there that were willing to offer more than the Sharks did. Such an awful trade.

• Options
    BRUINS up 3-+0 after the first.

Peace

• Options
    BRUINS tally near the end of the 2nd period 4-1 now.

A

• Options
    BRUINS keep rolling 5-3 final, division leading 42 points.

Peace

• Options
    I can't wait for the playoffs!
    Whats got the whole world faking?
  • Options
    I can't wait for the playoffs!

The B's still to get experience and to face the long road of the season. The playoffs will come soon enough.

A

• Options
    a little write up on yahoo about the B's ....

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=Ao9Bk3V0Dzom_G4mEIUI6uF7vLYF?slug=dg-bruins120808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Still a bit too early in the season to be getting overly excited ... but, you gotta love what we've seen so far.

• Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    a little write up on yahoo about the B's ....

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=Ao9Bk3V0Dzom_G4mEIUI6uF7vLYF?slug=dg-bruins120808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Still a bit too early in the season to be getting overly excited ... but, you gotta love what we've seen so far.

I agree when i see them on Feb 21, in Sunrise FL and if they're still rolling well there could be something really special to come in the playoffs.

Peace

• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    g under p wrote:
    BRUINS keep rolling 5-3 final, conference leading 42 points.

Peace
    Fixed.

Easiest 6 points ever those last 3 games ;)
    Pulled a Montreal last night though and went to sleep halfway through the second period for the rest of the game..
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Fixed.

Easiest 6 points ever those last 3 games ;)
    Pulled a Montreal last night though and went to sleep halfway through the second period for the rest of the game..

Nothing comes easy in the NHL and especially for the Boston Bruins.

Peace

• Options
    g under p wrote:
    Nothing comes easy in the NHL and especially for the Boston Bruins.

Peace
    Yeah, cause Florida and Tampa Bay are regular NHL powerhouses :rolleyes:
    They came easy. Fact!
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Yeah, cause Florida and Tampa Bay are regular NHL powerhouses :rolleyes:
    They came easy. Fact!

...and all of a sudden the Bruins are a powerhouse, they STILL have to go out and beat these teams now that's a fact.

Peace

• Options
    g under p wrote:
    ...and all of a sudden the Bruins are a powerhouse, they STILL have to go out and beat these teams now that's a fact.

Peace
    Never did I state otherwise.
    What I did say is that for the Bruins to beat those two teams was a walk in the park. Don't believe me? Check out the 30 minutes total they played for in two of those games.
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Never did I state otherwise.
    What I did say is that for the Bruins to beat those two teams was a walk in the park. Don't believe me? Check out the 30 minutes total they played for in two of those games.

Well you beat the teams that are placed in front of you other teams have to face those bottomdwellers too and they have to find a way to beat them too.

Peace

• Options
    g under p wrote:
    Well you beat the teams that are placed in front of you other teams have to face those bottomdwellers too and they have to find a way to beat them too.

Peace
    Everyone has gotta find a way to win, that's what it's all about.
    At least you didn't score on your own net against the comic relief ;)
  • Options
    man, a lot of missing posts in this thread, had to dig deep to find it ...

anyway ... for the out of towner B's fan, their game vs the Maple Leafs is on the NHL network right now.